ADVERTISEMENT

Lax vs Army

Army is a good team. In he fall there was a lot of buzz around how they looked.

We didn’t play our best. Shooting was less than stellar, and groundballs are a problem. We are far too athletic to continue to not except there. Faceoffs weren’t great. Our number 1 gets back to full strength soon.

Good to see them fight back. Coyne getting his first 3 goals is important. We need production from that spot. He will get his chances.

A few pipes, some unlucky bounces, and a bunch of things to work are the takeaway. I’d like to see us move the ball more on O. It gets stuck in sticks very often. Go at your man, if it’s not there, move it.

Lots of season and opportunity awaits. Get better this week and put one on Fairfield.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Army is a good team. In he fall there was a lot of buzz around how they looked.

We didn’t play our best. Shooting was less than stellar, and groundballs are a problem. We are far too athletic to continue to not except there. Faceoffs weren’t great. Our number 1 gets back to full strength soon.

Good to see them fight back. Coyne getting his first 3 goals is important. We need production from that spot. He will get his chances.

A few pipes, some unlucky bounces, and a bunch of things to work are the takeaway. I’d like to see us move the ball more on O. It gets stuck in sticks very often. Go at your man, if it’s not there, move it.

Lots of season and opportunity awaits. Get better this week and put one on Fairfield.

Fair assessment. You know me, I hate being down on ANY of our teams, but man I just have a BAD feeling about this one. Like...we make it to the B1G final, lose, and all 3 teams in the semis make into the NCAA's OTHER than us despite us beating both semi-final losers and the champ during the regular season. Oh, plus Army gets in due to this win. Ugh. I can see it now.

Reactions: biazza38
I can see a 11-5 season (lose one more OOC game) go 3-2 in the Big Ten and 1-1 in the Big Ten tourney and end up a bubble team. I think in that case you hope your RPI is strong. If they finish 12-4 (sweep the remaining OOC) they would be in for sure...assuming the Big Ten is a strong league in 2018.

Not even going to look but will guess they beat us on ground balls?

Faces offs can be a lot of technique but GBs are mostly hustle.

Not even going to look but will guess they beat us on ground balls?

Faces offs can be a lot of technique but GBs are mostly hustle.
The big issue in the game is that we only shot 21%. Every percent under 27.5 that you shoot in a game reduces your chance to win by 2 percent. So by being that far under 27.5% that really hurt is in our chances of winning.

Ground balls we got 18 and army got 28. Huge difference there. We were 9/20 on face offs and Army was 11/20. Our save percent was 60% and armies was 43%.

If you look at all the data it is because we shot poorly that we lost. It is not even that we shot and Army saved a ton of miraculous shots. He only had 6 saves and we scored 7 goals. We hit some pipe and we took some very ill advised/forced shots.

It is imperative that this team find a way to make the NCAA tournament this year. Whether this a respectable loss or not they need to offset it with enough eye catching W’s to leave no doubt that they belong.

It is imperative that this team find a way to make the NCAA tournament this year. Whether this a respectable loss or not they need to offset it with enough eye catching W’s to leave no doubt that they belong.

I’m very worried about all the great strides this program has taken being blown up if we miss out a 3rd consecutive time by a single loss WHICH easily could have been avoided.

I kind of think that this game is indicative of where this team is. Just outside the top-10, but still in the upper tier. Throw in Charlambides and you've got a different story, but here we are.

Nothing to be upset about, assuming we hover around here or rise up. That still puts RU in the NCAA and then anything can happen.

I’m very worried about all the great strides this program has taken being blown up if we miss out a 3rd consecutive time by a single loss WHICH easily could have been avoided.

It wasn't a great game, but it is one loss in a competitive game to a good team on the road. Don't sell Army short. That couldn't have been easily avoided. They are for real. Faceoffs, groundballs, shooting. I'd focus on those aspects, along with getting more ball movement and movement on settled situations. We stood around a lot on on Sat. while the ball got stuck in sticks. I'm sure they will get better from here. Certainly losing AC, while not an excuse, is a huge adjustment that is going to be a work in progress. Again, seeing Coyne get 3 is a good sign for his confidence. Mullins and and Heningburg are going to draw a lot of attention, leaving him with opportunities. Production from that spot is imperative.

Though we all hate losing, it's one game, to a very good Army team. It's not ideal, but lots of opportunity awaits. Get better this week and back in the win column on Sat. against a Fairfield team coming off of a win.

Reactions: rufamily and gef21
For those fans crying their eyes out over a loss to Army on the road, you know Army is now ranked #9 in Media Polls this week? RU dropped to #13, more or less tied with #12 UNC who is ahead by only one voting point. Princeton and Cuse are ranked too, plus 5 B1G teams are ranked as well. Plenty of time to get signature wins.

For those fans crying their eyes out over a loss to Army on the road, you know Army is now ranked #9 in Media Polls this week? RU dropped to #13, more or less tied with #12 UNC who is ahead by only one voting point. Princeton and Cuse are ranked too, plus 5 B1G teams are ranked as well. Plenty of time to get signature wins.

Nobody is "crying" over losing to Army. What some of us are concerned about, however, is potentially losing an NCAA bid due to this loss when it comes down to selection day. As in...Army gets a slot and we don't...or someone else gets in and we don't because we're 1 win shy...THAT is a fear that I and others obviously share. Yes, Army is #9, but we WERE just there and could be higher now.

Nobody is "crying" over losing to Army. What some of us are concerned about, however, is potentially losing an NCAA bid due to this loss when it comes down to selection day. As in...Army gets a slot and we don't...or someone else gets in and we don't because we're 1 win shy...THAT is a fear that I and others obviously share. Yes, Army is #9, but we WERE just there and could be higher now.
It's not a bad loss. Those are the losses to be concerned about, like losing to a garbage Delaware team when ranked #1 for example. Losing this week at home to Fairfield would be far more damning. Teams get penalized for losing to bad teams, not Top 10 teams.

It's not a bad loss. Those are the losses to be concerned about, like losing to a garbage Delaware team when ranked #1 for example. Losing this week at home to Fairfield would be far more damning. Teams get penalized for losing to bad teams, not Top 10 teams.

Who's to say that Army stays in the Top 10? That's a big assumption right there this early in the season. None of us know how it will play out, right?

Who's to say that Army stays in the Top 10? That's a big assumption right there this early in the season. None of us know how it will play out, right?

Exactly. That's why you take this loss, learn from it, and move. We were never going undefeated. Everything this team wants is still ahead of it.

The focus is now Fairfield.

Early season loss is ok but it is the next few that are dangerous we need to win the next 4 even though 3 of them are on the road. I think that Lehigh on the road in the mid week is going to be tricky, and Princeton went to OT with Monmouth and Brown lost to Quinnipiac so we should be 6-1 going into the Cuse game (I hate to project but if we want a tourney berth we have to win those games.) At this point we should have our offense figured out and we play well at home so with the next 4 at home we have a great chance to be in a very good place. Everything is still in front of us.

Early season loss is ok but it is the next few that are dangerous we need to win the next 4 even though 3 of them are on the road. I think that Lehigh on the road in the mid week is going to be tricky, and Princeton went to OT with Monmouth and Brown lost to Quinnipiac so we should be 6-1 going into the Cuse game (I hate to project but if we want a tourney berth we have to win those games.) At this point we should have our offense figured out and we play well at home so with the next 4 at home we have a great chance to be in a very good place. Everything is still in front of us.

Not-for-nothing but if we can't win at Lehigh (who went 7-7 last year) we don't deserve a damn thing.

Maybe. But they aren’t a pushover. That’s a classic trap game when you look at the schedule.

Considering they lost to UNC, at UNC in OT, well, let’s just take them one at a time.

It’s Fairfield up next, who has a great attackman we need to deal with.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT