ADVERTISEMENT

Layups

Year after year of this. Always tell myself that I’m sure it will get fixed soon….yet here we are

The problenm in this game was Rutgers allowed too many fast break layups.

Mag & Hyatt seem to be the biggest offenders of missing the bunnies .

Todays loss was a KILLLER. Had a golden opportunity to take a solid résumé building win. On the road against a very likely tournament team

Cam going 1-11 frim the field.
Missing layups. Can anyone count how many we missed tonight ?!

Hyatt and mag playing really sloppy on offense too often.

I just don’t understand the inability to make layups. It’s unreal. Hyatt, Mag especially.
It really is these 2...and the ones they miss....are mind-boggling. Typically directly under the basket with nobody on them.

Yeah, smart guys, keep telling me we don’t have a problem with layups. UNREAL.it’s stunning how many “GIMMIES” we miss.
Every team in college basketball outside the top 10 misses a ton. It's why it's college basketball.

Objectively watch a random B10 game and you will see a ton of misses by the basket.

It's a problem for just about everyone. We're no difference.

Every team in college basketball outside the top 10 misses a ton.
I watch plenty. This simply isn’t true. I get that contested layups aremissed sometimes, no doubt, but we have a major problem missing UNCONTESTED ones.

Rutgers was 8th in FG% in the Big Ten last season 826/1856 44.5% in 32 games
If you think we should have made 2 more "layups" a game, that would put us at 890/ 1856 47.95%
That would have put us #2 in the Big Ten behind Purdue, a top 5 team much of the season and a top 10 team all season

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Rutgers was 8th in FG% in the Big Ten last season 826/1856 44.5% in 32 games
If you think we should have made 2 more "layups" a game, that would put us at 890/ 1856 47.95%
That would have put us #2 in the Big Ten behind Purdue, a top 5 team much of the season and a top 10 team all season
That's my point @AreYouNUTS

Rutgers misses a ton of layups. We should make more. But every team misses a ton. We were average in lesgue in fg%.

Reactions: RutgersSouthFL
Someone had the stats last week, pretty sure I included it in the other thread, our LAYUP % is pathetic (NOT “shooting %” or “2-point shooting %.”

I swear it’s like talking to the people who think Greg doesn’t fiddle with the offense lol!

Mag & Hyatt seem to be the biggest offenders of missing the bunnies .

Todays loss was a KILLLER. Had a golden opportunity to take a solid résumé building win. On the road against a very likely tournament team

Cam going 1-11 frim the field.
Missing layups. Can anyone count how many we missed tonight ?!

Hyatt and mag playing really sloppy on offense too often.
Hyatt is good for three just stupid turnovers a game where he just flat out loses the ball

Reactions: MiloTalon13
I posted those numbers to get at context and expectations, I used last year because this year's games so far are not very predictive.

If you think we should consistently make 2 more layups a game than we did last year or score 70 points a game (we gave up 66.5 on avg last year) then you're expecting us to be among the best teams in the country.
All I'll say to that is... I love watching these guys play.

Yeah, smart guys, keep telling me we don’t have a problem with layups. UNREAL.it’s stunning how many “GIMMIES” we miss.
I’m not as interested in the argument as much as the why? It has been a trend for a few years now. Is it correctable? We’re a team that is rooted in defensive intensity and we play with our hair on fire a little too much sometimes. I notice this when we’re not doing well at the FT line - we rush everything. Maybe this is the same issue.

Reactions: MADHAT1
I’m not as interested in the argument as much as the why? It has been a trend for a few years now. Is it correctable? We’re a team that is rooted in defensive intensity and we play with our hair on fire a little too much sometimes. I notice this when we’re not doing well at the FT line - we rush everything. Maybe this is the same issue.
Good post Pete!

One thing I notice yesterday: Caleb looked more comfortable than I recall shooting from the field as well as the line. Like he’s not overthinking.

Good post Pete!

One thing I notice yesterday: Caleb looked more comfortable than I recall shooting from the field as well as the line. Like he’s not overthinking.
I think we’ll be okay provided Paul can get healthy at some point, hopefully sooner rather than later. Last night was frustrating but I still saw some encouraging things.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
I am not an overly critical guy about individual plays or players....BUT, that Hyatt layup at the end of the game was the worst attempt I have ever seen. He did some kind of of twist motion with his wrist as he released the ball. It was not even close.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT