ADVERTISEMENT

Honest Appraisal: Rutgers Basketball looks and feels like a BIG 10-seed at best.

Penn State I think is legit worse, but that might be the only one.
I guess we’ll find out soon. They did beat Ohio State and should have beaten Georgia Tech if not for a terrible call late in overtime. Right now, I think they would beat us.

I guess we’ll find out soon. They did beat Ohio State and should have beaten Georgia Tech if not for a terrible call late in overtime. Right now, I think they would beat us.
We are slightly behind Maryland, slightly ahead of Indiana/Minnesota, and significanly ahead of Penn St in Kenpom. We still have a very good defense, even with the pitiful rebounding. You are exaggerating the issues.

It was basically as close as that score. There wasn’t a significant change during garbage time. 10 points is not that close.
Agree completely. It would be grossly inaccurate to attribute our 17% from 3 shooting vs our 30% average (which was higher before yesterday) to Miss State playing better perimeter defense than our other opponents. I’m not sure we even attempted one truly bad (highly contested) 3 point shot in the game. We had good looks. Some shots went halfway down. Less of them fell for us than on other games. If you Sim this game again, law of averages say there’s a pretty good chance we would’ve made at least 2 more of those attempts.

So the bright side is - we’re getting torched on the glass but somehow still keeping games against teams like Miss St in striking distance. That’s with our bigs in major foul trouble which won’t be the case every game. We’ll never be spectacular on the glass, but is there anything Pike can do to make us more respectable this year? That’s the question.

A lot of really stupid comments here. The negatoids are in full force. We lost to a 9-2 team that was top 25 and played 6 neutral site games. Give it a break. Most of you have clearly not been athletes in college, and probably not even in HS.
I have zero problems losing by 10 on a neutral site.

I am not bothered by the score. I am bothered by getting torched again on the glass and losing 50/50s and not diving on the floor.

I am not bothered by the score. I am bothered by getting torched again on the glass and losing 50/50s and not diving on the floor.

Some folks don’t seem to understand the extent of the rebounding problem. Focusing on the guards missing shots is just sillly. We’ll have better shooting days.

The problem is - when you are so bad at rebounding, half court D matters less as for us - close to half the time, good D goes to waste and good opponents get a fresh shot clock. The big issue (besides lack of scoring) with us missing the shots is the inability to set up the press off of the misses to create opportunities to force turnovers without having to rebound. So bad rebounding hurts more when we shoot poorly.

I wish I can put my finger on why....

I see Gavin being robotic and when the shot goes up he goes away from where the ball is coming in order to box out a guy on the wing that most of the time isn't rebounding. Can live with that.....

I have to think Cliff is a combination of desire and conditioning WITH always not being in a position to rebound whether it be the block or his opponent knowing how to OREB and essentially boxing out Cliff.

A lot of people are going to see we go for blocks too much....keep in mind we have been a team in the past that has been Top 10 in block % in country without being a bad defensive rebounding team. I do think there is some correlation but it shouldnt be this stark.

Last edited:
The real question is how much do we improve next year? Are we going to waste the one year of DH & AB as a middling team?

A lot of really stupid comments here. The negatoids are in full force. We lost to a 9-2 team that was top 25 and played 6 neutral site games. Give it a break. Most of you have clearly not been athletes in college, and probably not even in HS.
I mean this year's team is not very good and I don't think you need to be an ex-college or even high school basketball player to make that observation. Next year should be a much different story, though. The sky is the limit.

Reactions: RAC93
Simpson just is not a B1G player. His recruiting ranking is showing to be accurate.
He is a complete liability on offense. He should have the red light on any shot outside of an uncontested breakaway layup.
No, no, no. Just give it some more time.

And Noah doesn't help us in at least two of the areas that bother you. His defense is sub par, and he is no better at creating his own shot than Cam was. Considering we're not that great and he's a one year player, and we need Dylan and Ace to be surrounded by more experience, Noah needs to be phased out.

Reactions: RAC93 and Mr Magoo
And Noah doesn't help us in at least two of the areas that bother you. His defense is sub par, and he is no better at creating his own shot than Cam was. Considering we're not that great and he's a one year player, and we need Dylan and Ace to be surrounded by more experience, Noah needs to be phased out.
I think you give it a few more B1G games, and if the results are what most expect, I agree with you.

I think you give it a few more B1G games, and if the results are what most expect, I agree with you.

I want Davis getting as much experience as possible. I believe he will be here to play with his buddy Ace (not a high portal risk) and as a ball handling guard and intense defender can flat out benefit from as many reps as possible. Our best chance to win is going to be through D and so he fits with that too.

I want Davis getting as much experience as possible. I believe he will be here to play with his buddy Ace (not a high portal risk) and as a ball handling guard and intense defender can flat out benefit from as many reps as possible. Our best chance to win is going to be through D and so he fits with that too.
I get the sense you will have your wish. He is going to have play poorly to be bumped under 25 MPG the rest of the way. It is clear as of now Pike has him over Simpson. I am not sure right now he is the better player.

I would rank Davis dead last in portal risk rankings

It's a real shame Simpson can't shoot. With his quickness he can get so much separation for open jumpers off the dribble... he just hits at such a ridiculously poor rate. You just can't be a P5 guard and shoot this poorly. There is still a lotttt of season left, but if he doesn't show improvement rest of season, there will be questions as to his fit on next year's roster

With guys like Dylan Ace and Gavin drawing so much attention and being ball dominate, we need to surround them with knock down 3 point shooters to make teams pay when they help out to stop them. Simpson started strong from 3, but has slipped to 30% on the year now

Maryland and Penn St are at the bottom of B1G NET.
Indiana and Minnesota are a notch better than those two.
Michigan 6-7 is now under 0.500
Iowa hasn't proven anything, like us
Northwestern have had some head scratchers despite winning vs Purdue and Dayton

We aren't the only team that have struggled to find their identity or gel in the non conference.

130 Penn St have looked better as of late but they lost at home to Bucknell, best non conf 118 Morehead St and won home Ohio St

116 Maryland has lost home to Davidson and a 200+NET UAB, best wins vs 130 Penn St and 148 UCLA

102 Indiana struggled to win against multiple 200+ NET team, FGCU, Army, and Louisville, best wins @ Michigan, vs Maryland and 118 Morehead St.

88 Minnesota has beaten 9 200+ Q4 teams and Nebraska at home.

65 Michigan has lost to Long Beach St, McNeese St and Indiana home, won @ Iowa and @ St John's
64 Iowa best win Neutral vs Seton Hall and Q4s, Michigan at home worst loss.
70 NW lost to Chicago St and struggled against multiple NET 200+ Q4s, Binghamton, W. Mich, Rhode Island, and DePaul causing the low NET, even struggled with now 4-9 Jackson St tonight.

That's half the conference. No way you can lock Rutgers in as 10 or lower with this many teams in the same position or worse than us.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT