ADVERTISEMENT

Let's (loudly) show Hobbs our opinion at the game Tuesday night

Football as a shitstain rubs off on the entire school and make the whole thing smell like shit. Get out of the Big Ten to minimize the embarrassment

To that end; I cannot tell you how much grief I get in major business circles about the disgraceful condition of the football program. It colors a very broad opinion about the school and unfortunately cheapens an awful lot about the school whether its deserved or not.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
We can agree to disagree, my bro was an athlete at RU and he helped the program a ton. Just because precious football is shit stains doesn't mean he is not doing his job
Any good P5 AD earns their stripes with football. It’s the revenue-driver and it’s what puts the university on the map athletically. It’s great that he’s helped other programs on campus, but that doesn’t excuse his gross mismanagement of football

Any good P5 AD earns their stripes with football. It’s the revenue-driver and it’s what puts the university on the map athletically. It’s great that he’s helped other programs on campus, but that doesn’t excuse his gross mismanagement of football

I do agree it's the revenue driver here. I just appreciate what he has done thus far for the other sports that I can't knock the guy. He had one assterblast of a hire in Ash I agree 100%, but him not getting Schiano is not end all be all. He will find his guy that wants to be here

The BOG and Barchi's incentive for getting RU into the Big 10 was to receive television revenues to underwrite the budget deficits of the athletic department. They could give a rat's ass whether RU's teams are competitive. Hobbs cares about the state of RU Football because he knows that his ass is on the line. However, his hands were tied by the whomever controls the money strings. I understand that the Brown was part of the Schiano negotiations so all the blame can't fall on Hobbs. There's plenty of blame to go around among Hobbs, BOG, Brown AND Schiano.

I would think he would be a hero to the basketball fan. He didn’t allow all sports at Rutgers to be hostage to football.

That's all well and good until RU is tossed out of the Big 10 for failing to field a competitive football program. Football not hoops drives the Big 10 bus! The increased money everyone is talking about would still put RU at the very bottom of the conference for football budgets. The Administration should not have accepted the invitation to join the Big 10 if they were committed to spending at least what the Perdue's, Northwestern's and Indiana's spend on football.

Last edited:
Wait until after the coach is named...if he trots out Norvell I would be more than satisfied.
It is not the fact who he is hiring it is how he had gone about it. No plan and no other candidates. He had to know a reaction like this would come when you are only interviewing ONE candidate that the fan base thinks is the only option to begin with. Maybe if he gave an indication to what direction he is going people wouldn't freak out as much but he has completely mis-managed the search from the jump. What give fans any hope he will be correct this time with the hire?

Gotta admit I am kind of surprised by the fan reaction to RU not working out a deal with Schiano. It has been much milder than I expected. I fully expected a huge meltdown, with protests in the streets, Rutgers & Schiano trending nationally on Twitter. In fact I expected the meltdown to be very similar to the Tennessee fans who wanted nothing to do with Schiano.

The protesters should walk on College Avenue or send emails. The RAC is not the place for this. Ash was hired after Hobbs was only the AD for a few days. As far as I know Brown drove the bus on that one. Hobbs has done a lot for the other sports. Schiano has such a huge ego that he asked for so much. There are other coaches out there. He left us once and shafted us why should RU give him so much more than should be expected. He just likes to control everything. We should just move on.

Football is going through a cycle similar to basketball had (albeit football should’ve been coming from a place of relative strength). Reputation issues stemming from the Flood era scandals, mismanagement and major backwards steps under Ash. They will now need a coach with the energy for a long rebuild that can show annual progress.

I don’t trust that the angry mob knows what is best for the program. People think it is easy, that hiring schiano will fill SHI Stadium for the next 5 years. After it turns out that Schiano isn’t a quick fix, people will run for the hills again and the cycle of buyouts continues. Football is not a guaranteed profit machine and definitely not the gold rush people think it is. The ceiling of this program in its division is 4th in a good year.

Gotta admit I am kind of surprised by the fan reaction to RU not working out a deal with Schiano. It has been much milder than I expected. I fully expected a huge meltdown, with protests in the streets, Rutgers & Schiano trending nationally on Twitter. In fact I expected the meltdown to be very similar to the Tennessee fans who wanted nothing to do with Schiano.

I guess you dont go over to the football board much. That being said there is an extremely loud vocal but small group of posters on the board that dislike Schiano with a passion and for some reason think that RU is going to be able to hire a guy better than him

Reactions: RUonBrain
football is almost everything for the school. He has ruined with repeated blunders

Yeah you're right. I think not having a stranglehold that football has on our other programs is good though. Understanding in brings in money etc, but the other programs are getting some love and our football has been atrocious so I really don't care about it to be quite frank with you here.

Hoops and wrestling are my go-tos and Hobbs has done a lot for them so I give him my respect on doing a fantastic job

9Rotrq.gif

I guess you dont go over to the football board much. That being said there is an extremely loud vocal but small group of posters on the board that dislike Schiano with a passion and for some reason think that RU is going to be able to hire a guy better than him
I've been over to the Round Table but not the football board. But I really expected people to take to the streets by now & set a couch on fire or something. I've been waiting to see protests on Network News.

This guy is Rutgers' Bear Bryant and he was willing to come back but the administration and BOG couldn't get it done? Man when that news broke I was expecting some Antifa level rioting.

This is the birthplace of College Football for Christ sakes.

Schiano never won a conference championship but he had respectable seasons, one really good season, and won some bowl game. Ignore the Tampa fiasco he just wasn't a NFL head coach.

RU had to get that deal done.

I agree with those that opine that chants and boos at the game are inappropriate. If you don't like the status of the football coach search, e-mail, call or write Hobbs. Do it privately and respectfully. Don't do it at the game to make a spectacle out of it.

So the halftime protest is off?

Respectable seasons in the BIG now and in the foreseeable future translates to 2-3 conference wins, maybe.

I agree with those that opine that chants and boos at the game are inappropriate. If you don't like the status of the football coach search, e-mail, call or write Hobbs. Do it privately and respectfully. Don't do it at the game to make a spectacle out of it.

Inappropriate? If Gandhi was limited to emails or private phone calls, the British would still rule India. We need a bunch of old farts to charge the floor during a time out and have a sit down strike. :Sly:

Inappropriate? If Gandhi was limited to emails or private phone calls, the British would still rule India. We need a bunch of old farts to charge the floor during a time out and have a sit down strike. :Sly:
You can probably get the students to do it if you lie to them and say it is a climate change protest.

Yeah you're right. I think not having a stranglehold that football has on our other programs is good though. Understanding in brings in money etc, but the other programs are getting some love and our football has been atrocious so I really don't care about it to be quite frank with you here.

Hoops and wrestling are my go-tos and Hobbs has done a lot for them so I give him my respect on doing a fantastic job

fair enough

Reactions: mikeylew1992
The BOG and Barchi's incentive for getting RU into the Big 10 was to receive television revenues to underwrite the budget deficits of the athletic department. They could give a rat's ass whether RU's teams are competitive. Hobbs cares about the state of RU Football because he knows that his ass is on the line. However, his hands were tied by the whomever controls the money strings. I understand that the Brown was part of the Schiano negotiations so all the blame can't fall on Hobbs. There's plenty of blame to go around among Hobbs, BOG, Brown AND Schiano.
You do know this deal was a almost fully funded booster deal, right? The BOG balked on their end. No new facilities in 2023 in writing, Schiano countered with increased salary pool for assistants they balked on that as well. The $4 mil. he asked for puts him at 11th in the conference. Hobbs wanted 6 yrs. $24 mil guaranteed Schiano wanted 8yrs. $25 mil. guaranteed. Hobbs decided not to even take that to the BOG and the negotiations ended.

Schiano is overrated. At the time in 2000, he was the right hire and I thought he would succeed but he proved it time and time again he never learned from his mistakes proving he wouldn't succeed. Rutgers fans think he had tons of 2006 Louisville moments when realistically he had 2 "moments" Louisville 2006 and an overrated #2 USF in 2007 at the time, finished 9-4 that year unranked. From 2005-2009 and 2011(minus 2010 Eric Legrand year) his best 6 years, he was 52-25 .675 win% 24-18 Big East, 21(21-3) were against the bottom 4 teams of the Big East., 7(7-0) were against FCS and 11(11-2) were against under .500 teams non conference when we had 5 non-conference games. 39-5 against bad teams. He was 3-15 against the top 3 in Big East each year, 5-4 against winning teams non conference, 3 wins vs Paul Johnson(Navy) and 2 wins Frank Solich(Ohio). He had 4-8 record against ranked teams, Bobby Petrino(Louisville) 119-56, Dave Wannstedt(Pitt) 43-32 and 2 Wins vs Jim Leavitt(USF) 95-57., most of the ranked losses were either WVU or Cincy (Brian Kelly). His only upside was 5-1 in bowl games and producing tons of NFL players but underachieving on the field.

Reactions: ancienthooper
Do we know if Hobbs knew any huge contract would be an immediate no by the BOG?

Is a mandate to balance athletic budget false?

Is it possible Hobbs hands are tied?

I don’t know the answers to these questions. Just want to make sure this guy getting killed (figuratively) is getting is fair.

Reactions: gregkoko
Do we know if Hobbs knew any huge contract would be an immediate no by the BOG?

Is a mandate to balance athletic budget false?

Is it possible Hobbs hands are tied?

I don’t know the answers to these questions. Just want to make sure this guy getting killed (figuratively) is getting is fair.

listen to WRSU podcast

Reactions: shields
Somebody needs to start a CHOP chant. Easy and clear. Anyone know the RAC Pack kids or Band members?

Reactions: RUonBrain
Hope the chants are pro Coach Schiano such as Bring Greg Back , We want Greg, or Hire Greg Now, not attack’s on Pat Hobbs such as Hobbs Must Go. Remember to do it while the game is being played. If it is done during timeouts, it won’t be heard on TV.

Who else is chasing Schiano? The Jesuits? Don’t think so. Rutgers is competing against themselves.

He also improved academic support. Kids would come in and flunk out. The Brian Sheridan class was a disaster, like 7 out of 21 recruits flunked out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT