ADVERTISEMENT

Football LIVE from the Hale Center…(Schiano/Ciarrocca pressers)

We will keep you updated with the latest as both Head Coach Greg Schiano and new OC Kirk Ciarrocca are both set to speak.

Little last minute here, but if you have any questions for either, submit them below, and I will try to ask them today.
What type of offense does Rutgers prefer to run, and will they tailor to who is playing QB?

When do they expect to fill out the position coach openings?

Seems it will be live at Scarlet Knights:

Spider-Man Reaction GIF

Kirk wants a balanced offense--like WMU 2015-16 and Minn 2019. By Balance, not 40 runs/40 passes each game. Both of these offenses had 2 1000 yard WRs and 1000 yd and 1000 yd RB.

From what I’ve seen with Ciarrocca’s OC stints after his first time at Rutgers
Don’t expect the offense to do anything special this year. His offenses almost always seem to not do much in year 1. But after that his offenses seem to do really well. Just look at the PPG every year in his stint at Western Michigan and his first 3 years at Minnesota.

One thing that should certainly improve from last year is time of possession. Almost all of his offenses have ranked really really highly in time of possession. Hopefully we can do that and give our defense more rest.

He better expedite that.

If he goes 2 years with more of the same, I doubt we see any of these guys in year 6.

From what I understand Gleason was in so over his head that having a competent administrator will yield almost immediate dividends.

Most important next step is to get a sound offensive line coach– which goes without saying – who is also a great recruiter.

Reactions: ScooterSports
We need this guy to be successful. I don't think anyone asked him about the reception he is getting from recruits/transfers but I assume he is very engaged on that front right now.

From what I understand Gleason was in so over his head that having a competent administrator will yield almost immediate dividends.

Most important next step is to get a sound offensive line coach– which goes without saying – who is also a great recruiter.
Kind of the feeling I have too, but who knows, fingers crossed!

The granular discussion on how Kirk C develops QBs was something I have not heard out of a Rutgers OC since Friedgen. Refreshing. The proof will be in the results on the field.
Perfectly said, I'm a bit more optimistic after watching the presser

Reactions: Scarlet83
IIRC, at Gleeson’s introductory presser he went to some lengths talking about the type of offense he wanted to run. I am sure some, maybe many, of the posters here realized the problem but I must confess at the time that I did not. I was too exited about the possibility of an exciting up tempo offense. Clearly he wanted to run an offense which his players were not equipped to run. Round peg in a square hole sort of thing. He tried to make the players fit the system. KC was asked a very similar question and said he wanted a balanced offense, not 50/50 run to pass, but the ability to effectively pass when needed and run with equal efficiency when needed. Also, he said he wanted to run an offense that utilized what his players do well and minimize their weaknesses. Right now it is nothing more than coach speak but at least, IMO, it is an approach that could show some immediate improvement. He should also have enough experience to find something that works. Time will tell.

Ciarrocca said when it comes to developing quarterbacks, there are two major areas: from the waist down (everything from the waist down, from footwork to his platform to his movement in the pocket) and then the neck up (way the quarterback thinks on the field).

“He need to be an extension of me out there on the field, and so maybe the most important thing I do is teach him how to think deductively, and I want him to think like I would think,” Ciarrocca said. “He doesn't always have to come up with the same conclusion that I would come up with. But he needs to have the same process, so I know what he's thinking, how he's thinking about things when he looks at the defense out there, so I know what play to get him into from that standpoint.”

One thing that should certainly improve from last year is time of possession. Almost all of his offenses have ranked really really highly in time of possession. Hopefully we can do that and give our defense more rest.
Sounds exciting!

I know you don’t like Schiano, but have devolved into a real negative Nancy on these boards. Lacrosse season is right around the corner. I hope you can get back to being more “balanced”.
Seriously, never ANYTHING nice to say about football. Regardless of Kirk C's past tenure here and how it ended, he has had quite a bit of positive experience, mostly with PJ Fleck, and he seems to have grown as a coordinator. I like what he had to say in his presser, particularly with respect to QB evaluation and development. This is actually the FIRST time since joining the B1G that RU has an OC with several years of experience as a B1G OC, and in this instance it is at two different teams. Will we get results right away-that remains to be seen, but I certainly hope the haters are not going to start piling on in season 1.

Nothing against the previous OC, but he seemed more than a bit over his head and wanted to force fit an offense that did not fit the personnel he had, almost reminiscent of Ash's first OC. Both of them may eventually grow to be decent coordinators, but it seemed it may have been too early for both of them to coordinate a B1G offense, particularly in the B1G East.

Reactions: Rush12
I know you don’t like Schiano, but have devolved into a real negative Nancy on these boards. Lacrosse season is right around the corner. I hope you can get back to being more “balanced”.
It’s hard to compete with the excitement of a Lax game

IIRC, at Gleeson’s introductory presser he went to some lengths talking about the type of offense he wanted to run. I am sure some, maybe many, of the posters here realized the problem but I must confess at the time that I did not. I was too exited about the possibility of an exciting up tempo offense. Clearly he wanted to run an offense which his players were not equipped to run. Round peg in a square hole sort of thing. He tried to make the players fit the system. KC was asked a very similar question and said he wanted a balanced offense, not 50/50 run to pass, but the ability to effectively pass when needed and run with equal efficiency when needed. Also, he said he wanted to run an offense that utilized what his players do well and minimize their weaknesses. Right now it is nothing more than coach speak but at least, IMO, it is an approach that could show some immediate improvement. He should also have enough experience to find something that works. Time will tell.
I could be wrong but I think what made Kirk's first RU OC experience a failure was h tried to instill an offense that wasn't suited for the roster he had .
Now he might use that failure to instill a roster that might be different than what RU had last season, but tweaked in a way so the players on the roster now could just to it easily and recruit the type of talent that would be ready made for it.

I could be wrong but I think what made Kirk's first RU OC experience a failure was h tried to instill an offense that wasn't suited for the roster he had .
Now he might use that failure to instill a roster that might be different than what RU had last season, but tweaked in a way so the players on the roster now could just to it easily and recruit the type of talent that would be ready made for it.

What really hurt was losing Anthony Davis early to the draft. Weakened us at two spots.Anthony stays, and he’s a Top 5 Pick.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT