ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball LIVE GAME THREAD: Rutgers vs. St. Bonaventure

I can’t keep doing this to myself. Any time any team is hyped at all at RU it’s a guaranteed f-ing flop.
We are jaded to all this.
I look at Seton Hall and am amazed how a school a fraction of our size with lesser facilities can succeed and we can't get a sniff of the tournament.
I asked Pike right after he was hired when he thought RU would get to the Big Dance. He said with confidence in two years.
Well, that prediction fell flat on its face.
I am now believing there are intangibles at RU that make it impossible to win. Call it a jinx or whatever you want but not making the NCAA tourney in 29 years is a feat difficult to accomplish.
Just from a standpoint of luck, it seems recruiting a couple shooters should happen by chance.
I give up trying to figure it out.
Getting too old!

19-30 from the line.
If I were coaching, I would have them do nothing but Ft's for an entire practice and every time they missed make them run a wind sprint. This is getting really pathetic now. That a whopping 63% from the line. Even mediocre teams can shoot 70%.

This is year 4 for him. Improvement? Not so much.

It is easier to get from terrible to mediocre than it is to get from mediocre to good. Pike is trying to get over that second hump now; too early to write him off, but clearly it’s a struggle with this roster.

It is easier to get from terrible to mediocre than it is to get from mediocre to good. Pike is trying to get over that second hump now; too early to write him off, but clearly it’s a struggle with this roster.

He's responsible for this roster.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
Barnaby, just so you know, I'm a huge Pikiell fan. But so far this season his idea of substituting has just cost us one game and we nearly lost two more. We easily could and should be 1-3 right now. It is inexcusable for the way he doesn't have these kids prepared. Where's the tough D? Especially at the 3 point line? They shot nearly 50% from there. Think about that? Fifty percent! Our kids shot 26%. We're awful.

I am starting to wonder how he evaluates talent? How come we don't have two sharp shooter on this team? We certainly have size, but we don't have players who can put the ball in the basket on a consistent basis. Everyone from Baker to Harper to Caleb are streaky shooters. If they get hot, we can ride them. But more times than not we get everyone super cold like we did tonight and we lose to a team ranked nearly 100 spots below us. This is very troubling. Also, I now know why Young rode the bench at Texas. He hasn't shown me ANYTHING.

Pike has lost his luster in my book. Getting to at least .500 in his 4th year is not expecting much. Recruiting and developing of players over 2 years has not improved. Seat getting hot for Pike. He won't g anywhere due to Schiano but I'm not worried about a sub .500 coach getting poached.

yea he lost his luster
It is for Stringer. Just got the #6 recruit in the country.

Pikiell also got the #6 recruit in the country, except the country is Sweden.

Lol...the number 6 recruit in Sweden.......too funny

Like football mens basketball is in the slow, tedious process of rebuilding which has no apparent time frame for even minimal success like a winning season.There is a lack of urgency to change the status quo which is troubling .
What about the new practice facility?
We are running out of excuses.

Team is a mess. 3 out 4 games were garbage.
We've played so poorly thus far, we could easily and probably should be 1-3. I am really disappointed in Pike's inability to get these kids to play consistently on both ends of the floor.

2 freshmen scored 39 points and hit 7-10 from 3

so while posters wait for our team to suddenly start playing better in Big 10 play..let that stat sink in

let’s keep playing bullshit teams to get us ready. Open with the some real teams and you beat this sorry-ass St. Bonaventure team. There is no doubt we have more talent so we know where the problem is.

I just want smart basketball, I am tired of athletic but streaky. Let's see what Mulcahy can do

No spin on this no book reading.

A bad bad loss.

Awful shooting
Awful defense

Inexcusable. Johnson and McConell foul shooting. That was it.

Geo bad. Harper and Mathis non existent again. Young was great or awful.

Poorly coached game.

Nothing good from this game.

Don’t tell kyk that....He will spin it somehow to say that we don’t have a Myles Powell on the team and that is why we lost.....lol

Like football mens basketball is in the slow, tedious process of rebuilding which has no apparent time frame for even minimal success like a winning season.There is a lack of urgency to change the status quo which is troubling .

I disagree the rebuilding in basketball should be two or three years as it has less players on the court compared to having to recruit almost 5 times more players in football. Football could take 4-5 years.

A basketball rebuild shouldn’t take 4 years.
How about 13 straight losing seasons and almost 30 years without one NCAA bid?Its not surprising that Rutgers has difficulty attracting top tier recruits.Winning matters in sports .

I disagree the rebuilding in basketball should be two or three years as it has less players on the court compared to having to recruit almost 5 times more players in football. Football could take 4-5 years.
He probably shouldn't be recruiting players without power 6 offers then. He isn't going to get it done with recruits ranked in the 400s.

We can't recruit. That's it in a nutshell.

what did Mulcahy do?

Nothing. Just have seen athletic guys who can't shoot or play reckless for too long. Maybe Mulcahy isn't the answer or is not ready yet but usually the really good teams have a really savvy PG or distributor.

Crawl before you walk, walk before you run.

Losing early to an 0-3 team that’s lost to Siena, Vermont and Ohio ...

I am certainly not an insider, nor do I possess anything more than average fan's basketball knowledge. But the shortcomings of this team struck me quite some time ago as simple, inescapable common sense; it was just so apparent to me. In a post on this board perhaps 2 and a 1/2 months ago, I expressed those concerns in some detail First, I wondered about the guard-dominated roster, which was overloaded with guys who could play the one, the two or a wing position. I was concerned that it would be difficult to learn a new style of team play, with a smaller more mobile lineup and a need to shoot well in transition. Even more important, I worried about establishing effective lineups and rotations among all those personnel. It would take some time to develop chemistry and adequate playing time within those rotations.Second, I really felt that the loss of Eugene Omoruyi was huge, no matter how some fans rationalized his departure. We lost a leader, a fine rebounder, a rugged defender and a guy who could score pretty well at the rim. Shaq Doorson also was a loss, diminishing our defensive presence in the paint and in rebounding. RU would be left with a dangerously thin front court. Finally, I reiterated the constantly expressed concerned that we were a poor free throw shooting and 3 point shooting team and that this deficiency could really hurt the team's prospects.

My personal perception was that this team might not do as well as last year's campaign. It seemed obvious, but in a growing surge of hype and hope among fans, this year's club was not likely to meet that expectation. So far, this fear has been more than borne out. I hope that we will get a good deal better, but I am not optimistic. Can't shoot the three, can't defend the three. A long year ahead.

Alot of you had him in the NBA. Has been hurting us.
Harper is a very average player. He has no consistent outside shot and he isnt dynamic or quick with the ball. He is at best the a third or fourth scorer on an above average team which RU is not. What is surprising is the lack of defensive intensity. Pike say defense and rebounding always travel. Well they didnt pack them tonight.

He's responsible for this roster.
He doesnt have a defensive stopper and rebounder.Pike appears to have sold this team on playing race track basketball which in the Big Ten wont work. Couple that philosophy in that the team doesnt have good shooter and its a roller coaster of ride each game

Didn't watch game was RH Jr in foul trouble? 19 minutes and 5 shots? He has to be a 30 minute 15 shot guy. Just looking at the boxscore too many guys in the rotation seems like no one in long enough to get in flow of gam . Just does not seem like team has found its identity yet

He doesnt have a defensive stopper and rebounder.Pike appears to have sold this team on playing race track basketball which in the Big Ten wont work. Couple that philosophy in that the team doesnt have good shooter and its a roller coaster of ride each game
Agreed need a few bangers on the boards and be able to get points in the paint. We are going to get eaten alive in the B1G if Myles or SC get in foul trouble we are super thin there

We have no starting quality big guys besides 1 sophomore, and we have no one who can shoot the 3 consistently, so what do we have.

Nothing. Just have seen athletic guys who can't shoot or play reckless for too long. Maybe Mulcahy isn't the answer or is not ready yet but usually the really good teams have a really savvy PG or distributor.

I hear you but guess I am a bit disappointed as a majority of posters were lauding him as the next great player when he committed and haven’t seen that (some were saying he may even start). Hopefully, he is just getting accustomed to college ball and we will see a change in a few weeks.

I hear you but guess I am a bit disappointed as a majority of posters were lauding him as the next great player when he committed and haven’t seen that (some were saying he may even start). Hopefully, he is just getting accustomed to college ball and we will see a change in a few weeks.
You guys need to settle down this team is still trying find identity and rotation. RH Jr needs to play 30 minutes a game. My guess Pike trying to save him for B1G schedule but 5 shots is unacceptable he needs at least 3X that many every game

Just once... one time... I would like to Rutgers get a recruit and from the minute he steps on campus everyone agrees "oh yeah, he's a DUDE."

Gabe Kalscheur on Minnesota last year... High volume 40% three point shooter from day 1.

Giorgi on Illinois scored 17 against Gonzaga in his third game.

Wieskamp on Iowa was their second best player all year.

These aren't 5* one and dones. These are the caliber of prospect Rutgers should be able to get but it NEVER happens here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT