ADVERTISEMENT

Lmfao I'm so happy but..

I would not call it luck. We were much cleaner and more disciplined.

Four flags on us: three on the punt unit, one roughing the passer that looked marginal at best. We do need to clean up the punt penalties.

Six on them, wiping out multiple big plays. Three missed FG. Coach passing up FG chances from short range twice and losing by three.

3rd downs: Washington 2-12 Rutgers 7-15

Other than total yardage, why did they deserve to win?

I would not call it luck. We were much cleaner and more disciplined.

Four flags on us: three on the punt unit, one roughing the passer that looked marginal at best. We do need to clean up the punt penalties.

Six on them, wiping out multiple big plays. Three missed FG. Coach passing up FG chances from short range twice and losing by three.

3rd downs: Washington 2-12 Rutgers 7-15

Other than total yardage, why did they deserve to win?

Our defense was abysmal. Every drive Washington would get into the red zone in like three plays and then do something stupid. I'm happy and we avoided stupid mistakes but I don't think we were better. Not that I'm complaining

Our defense was abysmal. Every drive Washington would get into the red zone in like three plays and then do something stupid. I'm happy and we avoided stupid mistakes but I don't think we were better. Not that I'm complaining

I’d say bend but don’t break. Also, credit to U-Dub. They have a really good team. Happy to not face them later in the season.

Happy with the win but was not impressed. Poor tackling, unimaginative and ultra-conservative play calling, dropped passes, poor special teams, forced no turnovers, came out flat to start the second half. Will need a much better performance in Lincoln next week.

I thought we were more the team that pummeled and dominated VT in the 1st 3qtrs.. I was wrong, we’re more the team that played that 4th qtr. and allowed them to tie the score. It’s a win but my expectations have cooled,

RU outplayed VT for about 3+ quarters and should have won by 10 -14 pts instead of 3. Tonight , RU won by 3 and should have lost by 10+ points. Wash dominated between the 20s. RU was the better coached and more disciplined team which resulted in the win.

That was the most absurdly lucky win I have ever seen. I would like to know what the expected score would be based on the stats.
We should all chip in for a gift card for #75! Twice ! Nitwit. Our D did not play well but bent didn’t break and O did just enough in the ground. I’ll take it.

Reactions: mugrat86
That was the most absurdly lucky win I have ever seen. I would like to know what the expected score would be based on the stats.
Yeah, nothing like their RT going in motion on 3 plays, including the TD play, and not getting called for it once that drive.

STOP with the “lucky” please (and I never bitch about officiating).

Happy with the win but was not impressed. Poor tackling, unimaginative and ultra-conservative play calling, dropped passes, poor special teams, forced no turnovers, came out flat to start the second half. Will need a much better performance in Lincoln next week.
We did continue the trend from the 2nd Half vs. VT with missed tackles. A lot of whiffs . This needs to be fixed. A couple of dropped passes by young receivers: Duff and Flechter. Correctable

Reactions: GillesDeleuze
The Washington coach had no respect for Rutgers and his team took an L because of it. How dare him not take the points, not once but twice..Either he had no respect for Rutgers or he was panicking and made emotional decisions but take the points. Even with the illegal substitution on the block field goal, if he takes those points, pretty good chance they win the game.

Reactions: TGonzRU and Randal7
Just remembered that their kicker sucks but those were some pretty close opportunities though....maybe it is luck idk, lol but the kicker is part of the team, that's on them..

Cripes- we really have some fans on here.

Washington is actually better than you think. Everyone knew, even with the player defections- that their defense was very good.
Their QB is really good, they have 2 really good RB’s and a top line WR.
We did get lucky but as they always say, luck is often by design.
Not too long ago, we were the team making a ton of dumb penalties. It it would cost us.
You could say Washington got lucky that they didn’t lose their starting Center and DB early in the game too.
It wasn’t pretty but it is the kind of win we weren’t getting other years.

Cripes- we really have some fans on here.

Washington is actually better than you think. Everyone knew, even with the player defections- that their defense was very good.
Their QB is really good, they have 2 really good RB’s and a top line WR.
We did get lucky but as they always say, luck is often by design.
Not too long ago, we were the team making a ton of dumb penalties. It it would cost us.
You could say Washington got lucky that they didn’t lose their starting Center and DB early in the game too.
It wasn’t pretty but it is the kind of win we weren’t getting other years.
Well said. We were screwed out of the Orange Bowl in 2006 down in Morgantown and screwed out of the Sugar Bowl in 2012 by unlucky breaks. I will not feel guilty for win in September where we benefited from a few bounces.

Reactions: KevH and cshelley
The Washington coach had no respect for Rutgers and his team took an L because of it. How dare him not take the points, not once but twice..Either he had no respect for Rutgers or he was panicking and made emotional decisions but take the points. Even with the illegal substitution on the block field goal, if he takes those points, pretty good chance they win the game.
I don’t think it’s a Wash coach thing, it’s just the “in thing” these days where coaches pass up on easy points. Too much analytics run through their heads rather than feel for the game and what might me be helpful later on.

I’m not always against going for it but sometimes it’s good to just take easy points on the board.

I mentioned it yesterday and mention it in Saturday game threads. It’s like they think no more points will be scored in the game and you need as many as you can get in that moment. Passing on that chippy FG cost them a possible tie game at the end.

TV announcers were good. They mentioned Washington copying VTech's stop-Monangai strategy.

We should have been more ready to do something about that. Like more Athan keepers outside.. trying to make yardage as opposed to that last QB run. Also, last year Wimsatt had a couple nice swing passes to RBes early season (I think vs Temple).. I'd like to see Athan throw a couple of those.

This is a case where Schiano's conservatism won the game, because of the luck. But I think of it this way.. with more than few cheap shots by the Huskies early.. an undisciplined team may have responded and been penalized for it.. we made our own luck by limiting mistakes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT