ADVERTISEMENT

Lmfao I'm so happy but..

That was the most absurdly lucky win I have ever seen. I would like to know what the expected score would be based on the stats.
If your gonna model it you also have to model expected result based on:
- cross country travel
- inclement weather
- night game

All of which played into our favor

The Washington coach had no respect for Rutgers and his team took an L because of it. How dare him not take the points, not once but twice..Either he had no respect for Rutgers or he was panicking and made emotional decisions but take the points. Even with the illegal substitution on the block field goal, if he takes those points, pretty good chance they win the game.
Hubris. Arrogant people. Haha

Reactions: Jerseylegends
Truthfully, no onside kick was disrespectful.
He knew we wouldn’t throw and knew we’d go 3 and out
I would say- hoping...I do think the play calling fell into their hopes on that drive though. But no way any team can just expect to hold KM to a 3 and out. Just, very unimaginative play calling. Yes, run the ball- give it to KM but man- just not the exact play they were defending for

Rutgers got outplayed and were lucky to come away with a win, but Washington was lucky that both targeting calls went their way. To me, the first one definitely seemed legitimate and the second one was 50/50

Very uncharacteristic of GS coached teams to not stop the run.
This team needs to get a lot tougher at the point of attack on Defense
On many/most of their long runs, we had someone, presumably one of our LBs but not sure, overshoot the gap through which their RB cut. A couple times, our guy overshot the gap so hard he slammed into his own teammate on the far side of the gap, preventing that guy from making a play too.

I saw GS yelling at the D captains on the sideline after that happened a second time. I’ll bet he was telling them to calm the players down and tell them to just do their jobs.

I never saw who it was overshooting gaps, but I think there’s a good chance it was one or two of the less experienced LBs or DBs. More testosterone than experience. Older players learn to let technique and process rule, rather than emotion.

I really think this will get fixed. GS is way too good at coaching defense.

Rutgers got outplayed and were lucky to come away with a win, but Washington was lucky that both targeting calls went their way. To me, the first one definitely seemed legitimate and the second one was 50/50
If we were anything like any of our other teams over the past decade- we lose that game by 3 scores. Greg has built the coaching and team to the point where we can actually win a game we were outplayed it. This is actually a good thing.
And maybe our win at VT was better than we thought after seeing them against Mia.
Give me another ugly win next week and I will be happy as shit!

Truthfully, no onside kick was disrespectful.
He knew we wouldn’t throw and knew we’d go 3 and out
during his press conference he said his team gave the game to us. he barely gave us any respect. don’t like him and i’ve ALWAYS hated coaches that wear visors. ugh. just always hated them on football coaches. stupid look.

Reactions: fsg2
The Washington coach had no respect for Rutgers and his team took an L because of it. How dare him not take the points, not once but twice..Either he had no respect for Rutgers or he was panicking and made emotional decisions but take the points. Even with the illegal substitution on the block field goal, if he takes those points, pretty good chance they win the game.
It wasn’t illegal substitution. A player came onto the field to celebrate while it was still a live ball. That, 4 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties and 2 missed FGs (am not counting the last 55 yard attempt) are the reasons we didn’t get beat 31-14.

‘lack of respect’ didn’t occur. They moved the ball on us all game as if we were only playing with 7 defenders.

TV announcers were good. They mentioned Washington copying VTech's stop-Monangai strategy.

We should have been more ready to do something about that. Like more Athan keepers outside.. trying to make yardage as opposed to that last QB run. Also, last year Wimsatt had a couple nice swing passes to RBes early season (I think vs Temple).. I'd like to see Athan throw a couple of those.

This is a case where Schiano's conservatism won the game, because of the luck. But I think of it this way.. with more than few cheap shots by the Huskies early.. an undisciplined team may have responded and been penalized for it.. we made our own luck by limiting mistakes.
I think we did plan for the "Stop Monongai" strategy. What we didn't plan on was our hyped TEs having hands of greased stone.

It wasn’t illegal substitution. A player came onto the field to celebrate while it was still a live ball. That, 4 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties and 2 missed FGs (am not counting the last 55 yard attempt) are the reasons we didn’t get beat 31-14.

‘lack of respect’ didn’t occur. They moved the ball on us all game as if we were only playing with 7 defenders.
Washington won the game between the 20’s and lost the game in the red zone and because of dumb lapses in judgement. RU played very good situational defense on 3rd and 4th downs . RU made the key plays at critical times. I do agree that it didn’t have anything to do with Washington’s “lack of respect”. It’s an overused cliche and doesn’t apply. Fisch is a NJ native and was very complimentary to RU and Schiano pre and post game.

If we were anything like any of our other teams over the past decade- we lose that game by 3 scores. Greg has built the coaching and team to the point where we can actually win a game we were outplayed it. This is actually a good thing.
And maybe our win at VT was better than we thought after seeing them against Mia.
Give me another ugly win next week and I will be happy as shit!
Winning solves everything.

Still, I really hope we fix some of the issues between now and next weekend.

The offense's skill players all need to spend time with that throwing machine Sanu or Carroo (or both) used, catching 1000 hard thrown passes with zero drops per day. Not during practice, on their own time. If it were me, I'd set out to catch 250 passes without a single drop. Miss one, and you start back at zero. If it takes 10 hours, so be it.

That sort of single player exercise (starting over if a mistake is made) helps cultivate strong player focus at critical moments in games.

I don't know enough about football to know what kind of exercises can be done to get D backfield players to fit their gaps with more composure. But we need to do something. Gotta stop the run.

I think we did plan for the "Stop Monongai" strategy. What we didn't plan on was our hyped TEs having hands of greased stone.
love fletcher but fumble last week and a drop pass yesterday. he needs to fix that asap.

If you want to go with their 2 missed FG's- can we go with the perfect passes to Fletcher and Duff?

Yep- they moved it until it looked like we had 15 defenders when we needed them- 3rd down and redzone. they were 2-12 on 3rd down- that is actually the stat that lost it for them.
I think our actual 12th man really did make a difference this game. Crowd was insane. And the Students brought it.

If your gonna model it you also have to model expected result based on:
- cross country travel
- inclement weather
- night game

All of which played into our favor
Cross country travel for a Friday game could have an impact. Weather had no impact on the game. Actually that was Seattle weather last night.

Reactions: megadrone
If you want to go with their 2 missed FG's- can we go with the perfect passes to Fletcher and Duff?

Yep- they moved it until it looked like we had 15 defenders when we needed them- 3rd down and redzone. they were 2-12 on 3rd down- that is actually the stat that lost it for them.
I think our actual 12th man really did make a difference this game. Crowd was insane. And the Students brought it.
So you don’t think they outplayed us for most of the game and beat themselves ?

Ok, nevermind the stats and unforced errors, we outplayed them. Got it.

Washington won the game between the 20’s and lost the game in the red zone and because of dumb lapses in judgement. RU played very good situational defense on 3rd and 4th downs . RU made the key plays at critical times. I do agree that it didn’t have anything to do with Washington’s “lack of respect”. It’s an overused cliche and doesn’t apply. Fisch is a NJ native and was very complimentary to RU and Schiano pre and post game.
Yes, this is closer to my take. Sure, after the blocked FG and moronic penalty, we did need to execute and did get the TD.

And we did execute defending the two stupid pass plays from our 2 yard line when they’d have had a sure TD running it once or twice.

Those two things cost them the game more than our own execution did.

all in all, they handed us the game they mostly dominated. This is as obvious a ‘they beat themselves’ example as you will ever see.

All that matters is the W. Style points mean nothing.

That’s not correct.

Cool. If you think weather had an impact on the game that’s fine.
I was in the stadium a from 730 to the end of the game and watched every play. I didn’t see 1 play where the weather had an impact.

Reactions: Randal7
during his press conference he said his team gave the game to us. he barely gave us any respect. don’t like him and i’ve ALWAYS hated coaches that wear visors. ugh. just always hated them on football coaches. stupid look.
Flood wore visors, and disguises too but that’s a horse of a different color

Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
Was that his initials on his? Extra lame points.

Just watched his press conference. He talked mostly about his team, which is appropriate. But what he did say about us was respectful, IMO. It's not his job to cheerlead about RU. And actually, he said some very nice things about the game environment.

Ultimately, he's correct that his team did a lot to lose the game. 3 missed FGs. A bunch of dumb 15 yard penalties that killed otherwise really good drives. Take away the penalties and the make 2 of the 3 missed FGs and the game would've been a shootout rather than a game we could try to slow down and manage. And I think they probably would've won a shootout type game. Their QB is really good as are their WRs. And their OL did a really good job.

Reactions: RUpop
Our defense was abysmal. Every drive Washington would get into the red zone in like three plays and then do something stupid. I'm happy and we avoided stupid mistakes but I don't think we were better. Not that I'm complaining
So RU had absolutely nothing to do with Washington not being able to score TD’s once they were in the red zone? Go back and watch the tape and watch our defense tighten up and then come back to me.

Cool. If you think weather had an impact on the game that’s fine.
I was in the stadium a from 730 to the end of the game and watched every play. I didn’t see 1 play where the weather had an impact.
It’s not a subjective point. Weather DID have an impact on the game. The question isn’t yes or no. It’s a question of magnitude.

I am fascinated by your confidence in your answer. As though probabilistically we played yesterdays game in a vacuum

It’s not a subjective point. Weather DID have an impact on the game. The question isn’t yes or no. It’s a question of magnitude.

I am fascinated by your confidence in your answer. As though probabilistically we played yesterdays game in a vacuum
Got it. I guess you are a statistician? Since no game is played in a vacuum I guess weather, temperature etc have an impact on every game even if it’s almost 0.

Got it. I guess you are a statistician? Since no game is played in a vacuum I guess weather, temperature etc have an impact on every game even if it’s almost 0.
I’m not a statistician… I just think probabilistically and I’ve also thrown and kicked a slick ball … basketball, football, baseball. A wet ball is certainly a unique aspect. So much so that even humidity impacts performance. Dry weather in cold environments the ball is like a rock. Damp weather in warm environments the ball is like a warm loaf of bread. You line up for a 55 yard field goal to tie a game, in a game you’ve already missed 2x, with wet weather, there is an effect there. And empirically it’s been proven out there is an effect

I’m not a statistician… I just think probabilistically and I’ve also thrown and kicked a slick ball … basketball, football, baseball. A wet ball is certainly a unique aspect. So much so that even humidity impacts performance. Dry weather in cold environments the ball is like a rock. Damp weather in warm environments the ball is like a warm loaf of bread. You line up for a 55 yard field goal to tie a game, in a game you’ve already missed 2x, with wet weather, there is an effect there. And empirically it’s been proven out there is an effect
Agreed. You are 100 correct.

I just don't understand why the mesh RPO "always" gives the ball to the RB these last 2 games. Make them account for QB runs or don't bother with the RPO.... if the QB will not keep then how about some pitch-outs.. get Monagai outside the tackles.. or a jet sweep every now and then.

I want to see the RPO really run to its full potential.

I just don't understand why the mesh RPO "always" gives the ball to the RB these last 2 games. Make them account for QB runs or don't bother with the RPO.... if the QB will not keep then how about some pitch-outs.. get Monagai outside the tackles.. or a jet sweep every now and then.

AK got the crap beaten out of him last week, with our RB stable it is more important to keep the QB healthy & have QB keepers at a very minimum, & let the RB do the work.

I like the run idea too .Run the OC out of town(

I could have sworn the refs called and illegal substitution, I'm not sure though.....so you think if they're playing Ohio State or Alabama they would have went for the TD instead of taking the points? Not really something I was stating as a fact, was just a joke tbh but I'm willing to bet they take the points in that same situation against a OSU or Georgia type team.

TV announcers were good. They mentioned Washington copying VTech's stop-Monangai strategy.

We should have been more ready to do something about that. Like more Athan keepers outside.. trying to make yardage as opposed to that last QB run. Also, last year Wimsatt had a couple nice swing passes to RBes early season (I think vs Temple).. I'd like to see Athan throw a couple of those.

This is a case where Schiano's conservatism won the game, because of the luck. But I think of it this way.. with more than few cheap shots by the Huskies early.. an undisciplined team may have responded and been penalized for it.. we made our own luck by limiting mistakes.
They also saw the success of quick passes to Fletcher in VT game and we’re ready for them

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT