ADVERTISEMENT

Lot 8 Current Photos

CqFhaXXWcAEAbA-.jpg:large

Love everything about it except for the boardwalk. that wood is going to look ragged in a few yeas. The should have just used really nice stone pavers with some R designs or somthing with the crest in it orsomething. Wood just screams a little cheap to me.

Love everything about it except for the boardwalk. that wood is going to look ragged in a few yeas. The should have just used really nice stone pavers with some R designs or somthing with the crest in it orsomething. Wood just screams a little cheap to me.
So not cheap !!! It is very very expensive that is why we were able to only use it in a limited area .

So not cheap !!! It is very very expensive that is why we were able to only use it in a limited area .
Well I guess it is more likely you would see wood in your YARD as opposed to a PLACE. :smiley:

Can I get an explanation as to why they chose the 3 different color stone facade they chose? What we have on this parcel is far and away better than what was there and it's going to be an awesome space but my wife and I cannot figure out why not just go with a timeless look like brick to try and match other buildings? The thing is going to look outdated in 20 years. The Honors College brick looks timeless and beautiful. (Not trying to sound like an old crank but would appreciate any color that could be provided here).

Reactions: Jim_from_RU
Can I get an explanation as to why they chose the 3 different color stone facade they chose? What we have on this parcel is far and away better than what was there and it's going to be an awesome space but my wife and I cannot figure out why not just go with a timeless look like brick to try and match other buildings? The thing is going to look outdated in 20 years. The Honors College brick looks timeless and beautiful. (Not trying to sound like an old crank but would appreciate any color that could be provided here).
i LOOOOOOOOVE brick but there is way too much brick on campus and throughout new brunswick, the design is similar to what's on Livingston campus and the welcome center on busch.

i LOOOOOOOOVE brick but there is way too much brick on campus and throughout new brunswick, the design is similar to what's on Livingston campus and the welcome center on busch.

And that's exactly my point. Livingston is littered with ugly buildings from various eras that appeared modern at one point. Our campus needs to have similar looking buildings, it looks so much better that way IMO.

Several reasons . First 14 story brick building have a tendency unless you spend an outlandish amount of money to look like public housing ... River dorms , Livingston towers. Second these are all natural materials ...terra cotta and granite, walk through NYC and see the number of buildings built in the 20's , 30's that are made of terra cotta .
We spent a great deal of time in Cambridge especially around MIT and Terr cotta is dominant. Many of the new building in DC especially around the Nationals park are using this palet ....

And that's exactly my point. Livingston is littered with ugly buildings from various eras that appeared modern at one point. Our campus needs to have similar looking buildings, it looks so much better that way IMO.
Livingston (and to a lesser extent Busch) is filled with ugly structures but I and i believe many of the younger crowd) don't think that the newer structures (21st century construction) are in that group.

I actually like the materials used on the actual building and maybe the wood was expensive but I'm sure in a half dozen years it will start to look a little ragged. I get that different materials are used to break things up but I've always thought boardwalks were for the beach and should stay there. At least it's not just white concrete that most developers dump everywhere (Maxwell Place in Hoboken cough cough) because it's cheap and quick and looks really terrible and sterile in a few years.

I'm jealous of the current students and all of these new facilities, although my tuition was half of theirs so I don't envy their student loan debt.

Great Building and I can't wait to see it in person!

I drove by Lot 8 after fan appreciation yesterday and am very pleased with the look especially how the colors blend and how Starbucks will pop with its wood tones.

My gripe is with the scale of the red building as I think it is too tall and I would prefer more green space. I was hoping for something wide enough that kids could throw a football around while watching a game on the big screen but with even one or two other groups on the lawn that won't be possible.

Overall I like it and do see some value in the height of the middle building as it anchors the development and the juxtaposition prevents the kind of uniformity that makes the Livingston Quads look so boring.

Last edited:
I drove by as well. Great progress is being made. It looks great and I'm looking forwarding to stopping by once it's up and running. I've always disliked the scale but nothing to do now but enjoy the positives and hope it becomes a grand success for the school. I admit I would have loved to live there in my time (I did live where it casts a shadow now). When we stopped to check it out my 3-year old said he was going to live there so I hope it's well maintained over the years!

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
@Cofifa

You brought up the look of the river dorms. Has RU ever discussed sprucing those up? Or even building new or additional dorms in that area? It's such prime real estate with the river view and that sweet park right behind it. Should be a gem on campus, rather than an eye-sore and a looked down upon living space.

Reactions: Arizona Knight
Drove by the new buildings the other day--tons of workers running around .I think Cofifa said students start moving in Sunday.

@Cofifa

You brought up the look of the river dorms. Has RU ever discussed sprucing those up? Or even building new or additional dorms in that area? It's such prime real estate with the river view and that sweet park right behind it. Should be a gem on campus, rather than an eye-sore and a looked down upon living space.
The 2030 plan has them demolishing the middle river dorm and building a smaller more modern dorm in its place near a transit center. Behind it will be a park leading to a walking bridge to Livingston over the Raritan.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT