ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland Thoughts

fluoxetine

Heisman Winner
Nov 11, 2012
First I am going to do what I always do and adjusted out some of the variance from 3-point shooting and free throw shooting. I've removed 2/3 of the difference in 3p% vs season average and all of the ft% difference.

Adjusted score is Maryland 62.6, Rutgers 59.1.

Obviously we are still getting beat there but the game is closer.

We really can't have McConnell putting up 15 shots.

I am not usually one to criticize rotations but I did think in that stretch with like 14-12 minutes left in the second half we needed to gamble and leave Harper and Mulcahy in there.

It is possible the team was just demoralized by getting the F- announcing crew.

As far as at-large bid hopes.. I am not one to give up until mathematical elimination. We are now looking at needing to go 7-4 through a really tough stretch to get in position to need one win in the BTT. I am not optimistic but the opportunity is still there.

Can this team go 7-4? Sure if Ron and Geo makes shots like that have in the Nebraska, Purdue, Michigan games. If like the last 3 games, we will only win 1-2 more. The reality unfortunately is somewhere in the middle, which isn’t enough

I think it's finally working, I managed to resist posting in or even looking at the game thread during the game today.
Didn't post all game long. Maybe Carino can write about lesson Pikiell hopefully learned about never over promising and under delivering even if you believe it. Someone asked me if I lost Pikiel's trust. The answer is yes as a fan. The product on the floor is inconsistent and just bad more often than good. The hope of strong recruiting helping right the ship is non-existent. Best thing for Pikiell to do is heads down and get this righted at all costs including replacing assistants with higher quality ones to get this fixed.

this season and team is done, body language, poor start, inconsistent play.
Actually it wasn’t a poor start . We were doing well early in tge game. Then tge 3s started raining

Actually it wasn’t a poor start . We were doing well early in tge game. Then tge 3s started raining

More like we were doing well, then we couldn't hit the ocean from a boat. We scored 3 points from 18:22 to 6:57..... 11 min and 25 seconds of offensive futility, during which time a 3 point lead became a 14 point deficit.

In what universe does Caleb shoot 15 times in a game ?

His max should be 5 shots and only when open

My theory: As he was at St. John’s game last night , I’m sure Montez or Vetrone got in his ear.

Every time Caleb was shooting it was WTF.

Last edited:
Caleb is a coach favorite which gives him the freedom to expand his offensive role without consequences. Everyone wishes we had Montez right now

Was excited when they started the game 3 for 3. They then proceeded to miss 15 of their next 16 shot attempts..

In what universe does Caleb shoot 15 times in a game ?

His max should be 5 shots and only when open

My theory: As he was at St. John’s game last night , I’m sure Montez or Vetrone told him to chuck it up.

We very time he was shooting it was WTF.
I have to give some credit to Maryland.

….and some anger toward Caleb…wtf

Reactions: BillyC80
Also the next 24-48 hours are going to be absolutely brutal in terms of posting quality on this board and I am going to try not to read too much of it so as to retain my sanity.

as it should be.....too many excuses....especially for last game...we got similar 3 pointers against us this game.

the reality is this team will win some big games but its going to lose alot too

as it should be.....too many excuses....especially for last game...we got similar 3 pointers against us this game.

the reality is this team will win some big games but its going to lose alot too
No it shouldn't be. I'm not talking about negative posts. I'm talking about having like 6 different threads on the front page about firing the coach. Those people are insane.

No it shouldn't be. I'm not talking about negative posts. I'm talking about having like 6 different threads on the front page about firing the coach. Those people are insane.

yes those are bad and I will be calling them out

Pike deserves a heap of criticism though and recruiting should be the #1 topic

Reactions: rume
The reality is this team isn’t that good.

whose fault is that

and I will disagree somewhat, this team can be good enough to make the NCAA tourney, the coach has not challenged the players mentally in a way that perhaps was done 10-15 years ago or how coach Stringer used to in her vintage years. The softness is allowed to fester.

Reactions: BillyC80
whose fault is that

and I will disagree somewhat, this team can be good enough to make the NCAA tourney, the coach has not challenged the players mentally in a way that perhaps was done 10-15 years ago or how coach Stringer used to in her vintage years. The softness is allowed to fester.
No way. My stats and my eyes tell me we are a bad offensive team. You can’t play Paul and Caleb and expect to be an average offensive team.

I predicted a bad season in the preseason. I have been wrong why. I was down on Harper and Baker last year based on their effort. I wish Ron was in better shape, but most nights I am fine with the effort from Ron and Geo. Geo has been good getting thru screens.

I had no idea Hyatt and Jones would be unplayable. If I knew Paul would get 35 minutes this team is doomed. I might have said something similar in my prediction.

Going to get crushed on this one…….

Iowa game still has an impact. Geo didn’t have legs on his shot. Cliff was a step slow.

we worked extremely hard in that game. Tank was empty for the starting 5. When you marathon train you put taper weeks in. It isn’t arbitrary. There is a reason.

Reactions: RUbytheshore
No way. My stats and my eyes tell me we are a bad offensive team. You can’t play Paul and Caleb and expect to be an average offensive team.

I predicted a bad season in the preseason. I have been wrong why. I was down on Harper and Baker last year based on their effort. I wish Ron was in better shape, but most nights I am fine with the effort from Ron and Geo. Geo has been good getting thru screens.

I had no idea Hyatt and Jones would be unplayable. If I knew Paul would get 35 minutes this team is doomed. I might have said something similar in my prediction.

if this team has just taken care of Umass and Lafayette which they are more than capable of at 13-6 they are on the last 4 in line

if this team has just taken care of Umass and Lafayette which they are more than capable of at 13-6 they are on the last 4 in line
We are upset that our guard took 15 shots. We have another guard we’d be saying the same thing. Both play 34 minutes a game. How are your supposed to be a good offensive team when you only want 2 guys shooting and 1 guy dunking. We are ranked around 200 in adjusted offensive effieciency. That is putrid! We don’t have a bench.

this team is not remotely close to a NCAA team. We can beat any team at home when we shoot lights out. How often can we expect that?

We are upset that our guard took 15 shots. We have another guard we’d be saying the same thing. Both play 34 minutes a game. How are your supposed to be a good offensive team when you only want 2 guys shooting and 1 guy dunking. We are ranked around 200 in adjusted offensive effieciency. That is putrid! We don’t have a bench.

this team is not remotely close to a NCAA team. We can beat any team at home when we shoot lights out. How often can we expect that?

whose fault is that

Getting next to nothing offensively from Hyatt and Jones has killed this team offensively. I thought both would be in the rotation with occasional games where they woulf step up with a big game scoring when they got hot.

We have no scorers outside of Geo and Ron and they both have a good game on the same day only a few times all season

Bingo

I can't imagine the coaching game plan was have 5 starters taking 21-56 shots and the rest of the team going a combined 1-8 in a combined 39 bench minutes.

Last night, 60-68
Ron 7-16, 0-4 (6-10 rim, 1-2 mid, 0-4 3)
Geo 5-15, 4-9 (0-1 rim, 1-5 mid, 4-9 3)
Caleb 4-15, 3-6 (1-6 rim, 0-3 mid, 3-6 3)
Cliff 5-7 (4-6 rim, 1-1 mid)
Paul 0-3, 0-3 (0-0 rim, 0-0 mid, 0-3 3)
Starters 21-56, 7-22 (11-23 rim, 3-11 mid, 7-23) 161 minutes
Bench 1-8, 1-2 (0-3 rim, 0-3 mid, 1-2 3) 39 minutes
Team 22-64, 8-24

@ Maryland, 70-59
Ron 9-16, 6-8 (4-6 rim, 0-2 mid, 6-8 3)
Geo 4-14, 0-6 (1-1 rim, 3-7 mid, 0-6 3)
Caleb 1-3, 0-1 (0-0 rim, 1-2 mid, 0-1 3)
Cliff 3-4 (3-4 rim, 0-0 mid)
Paul 6-8, 2-2 (1-2 rim, 3-4 mid, 2-2 3)
Starters 23-45, 8-17 (9-12 rim, 7-15 mid, 8-17) 166 minutes
Bench 3-11, 2-5 (0-1 rim, 1-5 mid, 2-5 3) 34 minutes
Team 26-56, 10-22

NBA and college game is all about analytics, who gives you the best chance to win. I read somewhere Brandon Knight is the coach that designs or designates who takes the shots in a game. An average College game, teams take 58-60 shots a game and you want to Balance your shots 19-20 at the rim, 19-20 mid range, 19-20 from 3, and adjust your shot amounts based on what a team gives you on any given game. Ron and Geo should take about half of them at 29-30, but the rest of the shots last night went way off kilter. I don't care if Caleb is never guarded on offense, he shouldn't take 15 shots in any game, odds are against him he will hit 7-15 or 8-15 in any game no matter where he shoots it from. It's just way another way the game has evolved, and why some shots taken don't necessarily looks like the right shot, because each player is designed/game planned to take a shot throughout a game, Analytics are here to stay.

Last edited:
Just looking at the first 16 dreadful minutes vs. the remaining 24 minutes of the game:

First 16 min (outscored by Maryland 35-15):
5/22 FG (.227), 3/14 2P (.214), 2/8 3P (.250), 3/4 FT (.750), 3 ORB, 4 DRB, 7 TRB, 4 Ast, 3 TOV, 3 stl, 15 pts

Last 24 min (outscored Maryland 45-33):
17/42 FG (.405), 11/26 2P(.423), 6/16 3P (.375), 5/6 FT (.833), 11 ORB, 21 DRB, 32 TRB, 13 Ast, 4 TOV, 6 stl, 45 pts

That first 16 minutes of offense was just awful in almost every statistical way (other than only committing 3 turnovers). Then suddenly the team woke up, and we played well the rest of the way (though Maryland was just stalling for clock near the end and we were pushing the tempo to catch up).

Caleb missed 2 lay up fast breaks off his own steals along with a put back on one of them. Then there was another missed bunny - 4 seconds into a shot clock when we beat them down the court. Those were 4 of his 15 attempts. Very disappointing that he couldn’t finish any of those yesterday obviously, but it’s not like we had all these other great options on offense to be saying he shouldn’t take those high percentage shots.

On Caleb’s other 11 shots he was 3-6 from three and 2-5 from 2. Geo and RHJ can’t take every damn shot that we’re not able to feed to Cliff. The rest of the team collectively had one field goal (Hyatt’s 3).

I guess where I’m coming from is - I think it’s a reach to imply that Caleb played a Montez like game. Not fair given the context.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT