ADVERTISEMENT

Let the NEW ERA of RUTGERS BASKETBALL begin!

SBP

All Conference
Feb 5, 2003
I for one am really excited with the turnover, the talent COMING, the talent STAYING, and the urgency I’m sure Pike and staff will have to bring in a shooter or 2 a strong 4, and a good big.

Turn the page and I think we will Dance next year, no RutgersAl!

I'm hopeful next year will be a huge improvement, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think there is huge risk in turning over almost the entire roster in one offseason. Might be great, but can just as easily be a huge bust.
If next season is a huge bust, Rutgers men's basketball will be in big trouble with Bailey and Harper leaving along with the the one year transfer portal players.

If next season is a huge bust, Rutgers men's basketball will be in big trouble with Bailey and Harper leaving along with the the one year transfer portal players.
Every season is in jeopardy with NIL in place. No such thing as team building anymore. It’s all plug and play. Going to be very hard to ever establish continued success year over year.

I'm hopeful next year will be a huge improvement, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think there is huge risk in turning over almost the entire roster in one offseason. Might be great, but can just as easily be a huge bust.
Of course you are correct about the huge risk. Possible next year could be a bust or it could be great. But come on now, if the alternative to the huge risk is bringing back a lot of pieces from last season’s roster and watching that lack of talent that could not shoot threes, layups, free throws, could not score in general and running it back with a bunch of them, then that’s a hard pass from me. Looks like 6 guys are gone from last season’s roster at this time, personally I was hoping for 7. Give me all the risk and unknowns of next season as opposed to bringing back guys from last season who can’t shoot that bricked shot after shot and generally have no offensive talent. My view all along was the less of that roster that returned the better for next year. Turn the page, it’s time for RU basketball to write a new story.

Reactions: Kbee3
Every season is in jeopardy with NIL in place. No such thing as team building anymore. It’s all plug and play. Going to be very hard to ever establish continued success year over year.
Unless you’re a blue blood with a lot of NIL money.

This is less of a problem then it would be in the past. If 50% or more of players end up in the portal, it'll be most teams dealing with massive turnover

And yet RU signed two of the top three or four incoming freshmen recruits. Still a mystery, but there is plenty of evidence so far to suggest that "blue bloods" (however you define that) may not be the only ones to successfully use NIL. Among other things, making legal what others may have been previously willing to do under the table could have a number of unanticipated effects. Ace/Dylan is an example of that.

And yet RU signed two of the top three or four incoming freshmen recruits. Still a mystery, but there is plenty of evidence so far to suggest that "blue bloods" (however you define that) may not be the only ones to successfully use NIL. Among other things, making legal what others may have been previously willing to do under the table could have a number of unanticipated effects. Ace/Dylan is an example of that.
RU had connections/links to their top recruits, blue bloods get these recruits every year, and will continue to. We'll see if RUbis a one time, flash in the pan, or if same level replacements come next year.

RU had connections/links to their top recruits, blue bloods get these recruits every year, and will continue to. We'll see if RUbis a one time, flash in the pan, or if same level replacements come next year.
I’d recommend observing what happens and not too quickly trying to fit it into what you expected to happen. Predictions about how anything is going to play out in the future are mostly wrong, and this one will be interesting to watch.

Of course you are correct about the huge risk. Possible next year could be a bust or it could be great. But come on now, if the alternative to the huge risk is bringing back a lot of pieces from last season’s roster and watching that lack of talent that could not shoot threes, layups, free throws, could not score in general and running it back with a bunch of them, then that’s a hard pass from me. Looks like 6 guys are gone from last season’s roster at this time, personally I was hoping for 7. Give me all the risk and unknowns of next season as opposed to bringing back guys from last season who can’t shoot that bricked shot after shot and generally have no offensive talent. My view all along was the less of that roster that returned the better for next year. Turn the page, it’s time for RU basketball to write a new story.
Roster formation will be even more important with the transfer portal creating yearly movement.This years roster was a disaster because of the absence of shooters .Next season freshmen class has some high level talent but the roster still needs some transfers with success at the college level.Blending those players into a cohesive roster will be a great challenge for the coaching staff.

I for one am really excited with the turnover, the talent COMING, the talent STAYING, and the urgency I’m sure Pike and staff will have to bring in a shooter or 2 a strong 4, and a good big.

Thanks, SBP! I appreciate, needed, the optimism this week! GO RU!

It’ll be nice to have a center capable of scoring on the low block and scoring via the 3…the modern game. Cliff really cant do either, dunks aside
My Bball IQ isn't great but IMO with his quickness and explosiveness, if Cliff had been developed to play with his back to the basket he would have been unstoppable. But big men don't get to the pros these days with that style of play so that was never going to happen.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Bailey leaves Harper leaves is almost a given at this point.

Bring on 2024-25!

This year was painful! Turn the page and let’s get the RAC rockin again! With 1-2 solid transfers, we’re a top tier Big Ten team from day one next season!

Reactions: Kbee3
Bring on 2024-25!

This year was painful! Turn the page and let’s get the RAC rockin again! With 1-2 solid transfers, we’re a top tier Big Ten team from day one next season!
Exactly. UConn's best player was at East Carolina two years ago and we know where Cam was last year. Hurley then paired them with 2 top recruits (Clingan and Castle), and, boom, you have a top team.

Pike is right on point -- we have the elite recruits coming in, JWill is already here, so now go get a couple impact players in the portal and we'll be more than fine.

I don't like what's going on with college sports, and suspect that I will soon turn my back on it as I already have with professional sports, because it won't interest me anymore.

However, I still think there's hope for the non-blue bloods in the modern era. Maryland is not a blue blood, but they somehow have tons of money for NIL and will be spending it this off-season. I see no reason why Rutgers can't do that too (and they must already be doing it to some degree, with the ridiculous recruiting class coming in).

I wouldn't give up hope. There's still value in good coaching, team chemistry and skillful roster-building...

Does Harper have more brothers who are Top 5 high school players (whose best friend is also a Top 5 high school player)? If so, we've got this NIL thing totally figured out. Otherwise? *The Price Is Right* horn

Does Harper have more brothers who are Top 5 high school players (whose best friend is also a Top 5 high school player)? If so, we've got this NIL thing totally figured out. Otherwise? *The Price Is Right* horn
This ^^^^. Do we have the donors and $$$ to do this every year? Based on our history of athletic $upport I would say no. Will the stars align once in a while for us - probably.

Did you mix Goldman Sachs into your inexplicable analysis?

I think temper expectations a little - stars definitely aligned for this class. I don’t think we’re at the level of being a perennial top 5 (yet), but I think consistently top 20 or 15 is about right. I think coach Smoke was added for his recruiting ability and he’s got us in play with some 5* for 2025.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
I think temper expectations a little - stars definitely aligned for this class. I don’t think we’re at the level of being a perennial top 5 (yet), but I think consistently top 20 or 15 is about right. I think coach Smoke was added for his recruiting ability and he’s got us in play with some 5* for 2025.
We'll see, kind of think Smoke's recruiting is a being a bit over rated. He was at Central Michigan and what, LIU Brooklyn the last six years? They each had some good years, but not like he was recruiting top 100 guys to these schools. I hope he's good.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
This exactly wake up it’s blatantly obvious we are playing the NIL game to a high degree but let’s all ask Richie again in next weeks ask the staff if we will land any good portal players and if we have the money to do so.

Pretend it’s going to benefit you down the road. Make believe it’s like going all out EV and that gas guzzler of a car is going to benefit you directly by getting rid of it. It has become another scam under the NCAA.

We'll see, kind of think Smoke's recruiting is a being a bit over rated. He was at Central Michigan and what, LIU Brooklyn the last six years? They each had some good years, but not like he was recruiting top 100 guys to these schools. I hope he's good.

Hard to get talent to go there though - at least the level of talent we’re gonna need to get where we’re going. Trey McKinney and Darius Acuff have mentioned him as a big reason we have a decent chance.

Hard to get talent to go there though - at least the level of talent we’re gonna need to get where we’re going. Trey McKinney and Darius Acuff have mentioned him as a big reason we have a decent chance.

Oh, no doubt, but we've also heard it's very unlikely on these two.

Who cares, let’s enjoy next year!

Oh
think we dance next year, but with a huge roster turnover and a lot of experience leaving, not as optimistic for a big run

Last edited:
Anybody listen to jay wright after the Kentucky loss? He basically said the time of the 18 year old 5 star high school kids coming in thinking they are going to dominate 23/24 year old guys that have played together for 4-5 years like Oakland did are over. They aren’t strong enough and haven’t got enough experience to take on these older guys. Something to think about for next year he may be right?yes it’s one mans opinion but he knows a little about bball

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT