Mississippi state kid
Who did I miss?

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Is say a great portal QB. Like the top 5 or so
Utah kid
Duke kid
Mississippi state kid
Who did I miss?
"Make no mistake: A good quarterback in the portal costs $1 million to $1.5 million to $2 million right now," Rhule told reporters Wednesday, according to HuskerOnline. "So just so we're on the same page, right? Let's make sure we all understand what's happening. There are some teams that have $6-million, $7-million players playing for them."

"Make no mistake: A good quarterback in the portal costs $1 million to $1.5 million to $2 million right now," Rhule told reporters Wednesday, according to HuskerOnline. "So just so we're on the same page, right? Let's make sure we all understand what's happening. There are some teams that have $6-million, $7-million players playing for them."
I understand what he said. But I don’t believe it. As posted below, they make it like you have 200 kids making second contract NFL type money. Bryce young was #1 pick and he’s making 6 million. The 15th pick is making about 2 million. 25th pick is making 1.6. 45th pick 1.3 etc etc. So anyone who isn’t a top 10 pick shouldn’t leave school using his math.

I understand what he said. But I don’t believe it. As posted below, they make it like you have 200 kids making second contract NFL type money. Bryce young was #1 pick and he’s making 6 million. The 15th pick is making about 2 million. 25th pick is making 1.6. 45th pick 1.3 etc etc. So anyone who isn’t a top 10 pick shouldn’t leave school using his math.
I guarantee Rhule knows MUCH more about this then you do

Obviously, but these remarks seem to also be an attempt to have an excuse if Nebby whiffs on the portal.
They need a high level QB as much, or more, than any other program in the conference.

Reactions: satnom
Sure but that also assumes that almost every single underclassmen that declares early this year doesn’t know as much as Rhule either. So the all conference junior who leaves early and gets drafted at pick 40 doesn’t know his worth? If all these guys are making 6-7 million with NIL an all conference SEC corner isn’t worth more than 1.2 million? Here’s an example
Jeremiah Trotter Jr Just declared this week. Clemson leading tackler. Last year was second team all American. He’s projected to be a late second or even third round pick. He’s not worth more than 700k-1 million on the NIL market?

Last edited:
The long term solution may be for the NFL to drop its Monday and Thursday Night games and establish a minor league system playing Monday-Thursday with playoffs and a mini-Super Bowl.Gambling could make this possible.
The NIL would no longer exist.
Sure,players may leave school after a year or two but at least they won't be going to another college team.
Would the tv money for the colleges dry up?Hard to say.

The long term solution may be for the NFL to drop its Monday and Thursday Night games and establish a minor league system playing Monday-Thursday with playoffs and a mini-Super Bowl.Gambling could make this possible.
The NIL would no longer exist.
Sure,players may leave school after a year or two but at least they won't be going to another college team.
Would the tv money for the colleges dry up?Hard to say.
I think Mike Leach had best solution. Two types of college players. Student athletes and NIL pay for play. Student athletes get treated like normal student athletes always have except if you graduate in 5 years you get some stipend. Few hundred K. NIL pay for play get treated like pros. I can trade you. I can cut you. And you have the freedom to leave via free agency once your NIL deal is done. That might 1 or 2 years depending on the terms

Sure but that also assumes that almost every single underclassmen that declares early this year doesn’t know as much as Rhule either. So the all conference junior who leaves early and gets drafted at pick 40 doesn’t know his worth? If all these guys are making 6-7 million with NIL an all conference SEC corner isn’t worth more than 1.2 million? Here’s an example
Jeremiah Trotter Jr Just declared this week. Clemson leading tackler. Last year was second team all American. He’s projected to be a late second or even third round pick. He’s not worth more than 700k-1 million on the NIL market?
He didn’t say all players are making 6-7 million. Moreover look at second contract pay for starting nfl corners.

Was his quote saying teams have 6 $1 million dollar players or $6 million dollar players. I have been trying to figure that out.

It's the wave of the future
We either embrace it, and donate, or continue being mediocre
Also, it's how we got Ace (7 figure deal), and likely getting Dylan
Nebraska has probably as much support as you can get and probably a healthy NIL and yet they haven't made a bowl, let alone any bigger goals, since 2016 iirc. This is while playing in the weaker B10 west too. If you don't use what you have wisely it's just wasted resources, see USC, Miami, A&M as well with regards to NIL.

Despite all the money they may throw at it, (similar to coaching contracts) they all seem mediocre or worse to me this year.

OTOH, schools like Duke, Kansas, Oregon State have been mediocre or slightly better the last couple years probably spending a lot less money.

Schools are where they are on the totem pole and they have to figure out how to make it work with what they have not whine about what they don't have. If you can't or just whine then don't take these multimillion dollar jobs. You know what you're getting into so figure out a way to make it work with the resources you got.

Reactions: Knight Shift
He said QB, he didn't say every position and/or player. For some reason some posters translate that to the entire roster, i.e., if a QB makes x amount than a lineman must make a % of that amount. It doesn't work that way even at places like Georgia, it is not the NFL, the vast majority of the kids on the roster are making very little NIL $s, probably about 10% of the roster is making decent money and QB is one of the positions that pays.

Did anyone ask his thoughts the cost for a good HC?
Is it more than $9.25m/year?

"On November 26, 2022, Matt Rhule signed an eight-year, $74-million contract to become the new head coach of the University of Nebraska football team. Under the contract terms, Rhule will make $5.5 million this season and earn $12.5 million by 2030, the final year of the contract."

Nebraska has probably as much support as you can get and probably a healthy NIL and yet they haven't made a bowl, let alone any bigger goals, since 2016 iirc. This is while playing in the weaker B10 west too. If you don't use what you have wisely it's just wasted resources, see USC, Miami, A&M as well with regards to NIL.

Despite all the money they may throw at it, (similar to coaching contracts) they all seem mediocre or worse to me this year.

OTOH, schools like Duke, Kansas, Oregon State have been mediocre or slightly better the last couple years probably spending a lot less money.

Schools are where they are on the totem pole and they have to figure out how to make it work with what they have not whine about what they don't have. If you can't or just whine then don't take these multimillion dollar jobs. You know what you're getting into so figure out a way to make it work with the resources you got.
Agree

They have a ton of money and haven't been, despite their fans literally being salt of the earth nice, the cleanest program historically.

I've said it countless times, we knew what we were getting ourselves into when we joined the B1G. It's big boy football, and now it comes at big boy prices.

I loved the feeling after Louisville in 06. USF in 07. Nova in bball in 2011. RHJ shot vs. Purdue last year. But those moments, unfortunately, are way too few and far between for my liking.

The way to get more of those moments, and get them more often, is to win.

And you win by recruiting high caliber level athletes, retaining and hiring good coaches, building facilities, and donating money.

For me, whether that money goes to the athletic dept. or the kid for NIL, I truly couldn't care less. Just win

Reactions: eddynyse
Maybe now but WSU got him from IW iirc when his HC Eric Morris came to be WSU OC. He left after a year to be UNT HC but Ward stayed another year. So WSU got to have him for 2 years without that high price tag. When you're lower down the totem pole that's how you have to find contributors.

WKU got 2 qbs that were at the top of the country in productivity from Houston Baptist (Bailey Zappe) and the University of West Florida (Austin Reed). Mizzou's SEC leading rusher is a D2 walkon transfer Cody Shrader.

What are this thoughts on coaches buyout amounts and schools paying coaches to NOT coaches for them?
Particularly schools spending an extra $7.5 MILLION because they didn't wait 3 weeks.

Maybe some of that money could have been allocated towards a QB?

"The amended deal signed in 2021 reduces the buyout from $15 million to approximately $7.5 million if Frost is fired after Oct. 1, 2022.

Because Frost was fired before Oct. 1, 2022, he’s still owed the $15 million per the same terms as the previous deal."

He said QB, he didn't say every position and/or player. For some reason some posters translate that to the entire roster, i.e., if a QB makes x amount than a lineman must make a % of that amount. It doesn't work that way even at places like Georgia, it is not the NFL, the vast majority of the kids on the roster are making very little NIL $s, probably about 10% of the roster is making decent money and QB is one of the positions that pays.
There are definitely big NIL deals out there but not all of them are and probably a good majority aren't. Also everything you read or hear about isn't always accurate. It's very opaque so it's hard to know for sure sometimes. Even the parents of players have said similar in articles I've read. Also motivation of players runs the gamut from only money to only playing time/opportunity and everything in between. It'll vary from person to person.

You’re speculating while Rhule is in the market. NFL salaries are governed by contracts whereas the market for the best college football players is determined by boosters.

He didn’t say every school, he said some schools. So I would assume it’s only a handful of schools like Texas A&M, Texas, Alabama, LSU, and Ohio State. The Miami’s and Clemsons have deep pockets, but not that deep. For example, Marvin Harrison is the caliber of player worth the $6M.

What people are not understanding is that many of these NIL contracts are not paid out in hard currency. Many are transfers in kind. Get the use of a G wagon for a year. get custom rims put on the G wagon. The "use of jewlery". They interviewed South Carolina QB Spencer Rattler who was rumored to have NIL worth well north of $1mill. He explained his contract and how he was paid much less than $1mill, but was "gifted" things that brought his number up.

What people are not understanding is that many of these NIL contracts are not paid out in hard currency. Many are transfers in kind. Get the use of a G wagon for a year. get custom rims put on the G wagon. The "use of jewlery". They interviewed South Carolina QB Spencer Rattler who was rumored to have NIL worth well north of $1mill. He explained his contract and how he was paid much less than $1mill, but was "gifted" things that brought his number up.
Bingo
It isn’t all cold hard cash
Some of it is - and we need $ for that
But other times, it’s partnering up with companies who can provide benefits for the kids
With all the major corporations in New Jersey, and all the car dealerships, I see, I sincerely hope Hobbs and the staff are working with KOR & KS to reach out to them to broker some deals

I can see a bunch of 23-24 old 5th-6th year qbs with no real NFL future hanging back in college because you have booster backed collectives ogling over them to join their dear ‘ole Alma Mater so they can lead a bunch of 20 yr olds to the college football playoffs for a one time seven figure check. Most of these qbs will never be valued more or make more playing the qb position their entire lives.

GO RU

I read an article about Jonathan Smith's introductory press conference at MSU. Their AD was talking about how he was telling Smith about all the resources they were going to provide him and the AD said he's not really into flashy things and that Smith was like I don't need much and I don't need that many personnel.

It doesn't mean Smith won't use or be grateful for whatever resources MSU can provide him with but that's the kind of attitude I like to hear. Just like he did at Oregon State, figure out ways to make it work with whatever you have is the mindset. Whether he works out or not at MSU, who knows but that's the mindset that's good to have imo.

I can see a bunch of 23-24 old 5th-6th year qbs with no real NFL future hanging back in college because you have booster backed collectives ogling over them to join their dear ‘ole Alma Mater so they can lead a bunch of 20 yr olds to the college football playoffs for a one time seven figure check. Most of these qbs will never be valued more or make more playing the qb position their entire lives.

GO RU
Sure that definitely happens and it's good for CFB if talented players stick around and can keep the quality up to a degree.

I read an article about Jonathan Smith's introductory press conference at MSU. Their AD was talking about how he was telling Smith about all the resources they were going to provide him and the AD said he's not really into flashy things and that Smith was like I don't need much and I don't need that many personnel.

It doesn't mean Smith won't use or be grateful for whatever resources MSU can provide him with but that's the kind of attitude I like to hear. Just like he did at Oregon State, figure out ways to make it work with whatever you have is the mindset. Whether he works out or not at MSU, who knows but that's the mindset that's good to have imo.
If you never wanna reach the mountain top, and only get to as high as Oregon State or Michigan State have historically, then, yes, that is a good mantra to live by

If you’d like to compete for championships on a regular basis though, and be in the conversation for high-level recruits, etc., then you will have personnel out the ass and the flashy things like the football only facility and money for recruits

Sparty is beyond hypocritical (and corrupt) as they gave Mel Tucker a damn near $100 million contract

Nobody gives out that type of money and has high school level facilities and middle school numbers of personnel, especially when Big Brother in Ann Arbor has gone all in

I wonder if their interest in a college education/possibly failing out has to do with any of these decisions.
I think Mike Leach had best solution. Two types of college players. Student athletes and NIL pay for play. Student athletes get treated like normal student athletes always have except if you graduate in 5 years you get some stipend. Few hundred K. NIL pay for play get treated like pros. I can trade you. I can cut you. And you have the freedom to leave via free agency once your NIL deal is done. That might 1 or 2 years depending on the terms
Trading college students to other schools? I can't see that ever happening unless NIL contracts are standardized (and swapping players is part of the deal) in the system proposed by Leach.
What are this thoughts on coaches buyout amounts and schools paying coaches to NOT coaches for them?
Particularly schools spending an extra $7.5 MILLION because they didn't wait 3 weeks.

Maybe some of that money could have been allocated towards a QB?

"The amended deal signed in 2021 reduces the buyout from $15 million to approximately $7.5 million if Frost is fired after Oct. 1, 2022.

Because Frost was fired before Oct. 1, 2022, he’s still owed the $15 million per the same terms as the previous deal."
That's two separate pools of money. Schools are forbidden to pay their athletes, at least for now. Get ready for the next legal battle in the near future: Athletes suing for TV revenue.

If you never wanna reach the mountain top, and only get to as high as Oregon State or Michigan State have historically, then, yes, that is a good mantra to live by

If you’d like to compete for championships on a regular basis though, and be in the conversation for high-level recruits, etc., then you will have personnel out the ass and the flashy things like the football only facility and money for recruits

Sparty is beyond hypocritical (and corrupt) as they gave Mel Tucker a damn near $100 million contract

Nobody gives out that type of money and has high school level facilities and middle school numbers of personnel, especially when Big Brother in Ann Arbor has gone all in
It's hard to get up that high whether you have resources or not and it's even harder to stay up that high. That's why Saban is awesome and deserves every penny he gets and probably more. I'm not against paying performance and for high level consistent results despite my protestations on coaching contracts. It's the paying for lack of performance and consistency that gets me lol.

Anyhow MSU's spending isn't what I'm referring to, it's Smith's attitude I'm referring to that I like to see. He'll take and use everything he's given but in the end whatever it is he's got he's going to work with and that's what you want to see.

It's hard to get up that high whether you have resources or not and it's even harder to stay up that high. That's why Saban is awesome and deserves every penny he gets and probably more. I'm not against paying performance and for high level consistent results despite my protestations on coaching contracts. It's the paying for lack of performance and consistency that gets me lol.

Anyhow MSU's spending isn't what I'm referring to, it's Smith's attitude I'm referring to that I like to see. He'll take and use everything he's given but in the end whatever it is he's got he's going to work with and that's what you want to see.
Def hard to maintain greatness, that's why Saban is the GOAT IMO - amazing what he's done

I really like Smith. He's a coach's coach who should do fairly well there. But he knows they have a lot more resources than OSU does, as he wouldn't have made the move (and got paid what he got paid) if they didn't.

Additionally, his attitude will change quickly if they don't start winning and the pressure starts getting ramped up.

Michigan isn't going anywhere, and that's the standard they compare themselves to. A few years of 6-6/7-5 while UM continues to go to the playoffs won't sit well in East Lansing

That's two separate pools of money. Schools are forbidden to pay their athletes, at least for now. Get ready for the next legal battle in the near future: Athletes suing for TV revenue.

Do you think Boosters aren't paying coaching buyouts?
The only reason schools fire coaches when they do is because the AD has raised the money from private donors to fund the buyout.
If they haven't raised the money, the coach doesn't get fired.

If Nebraksa boosters didn't commit the money, zero chance Frost gets fired immediately instead of waiting 3 weeks and the school saving $7.5m.

It comes from the same money as potential NIL funds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT