ADVERTISEMENT

Media preseason poll. What do you think?

cubuffsdoug

Heisman Winner
Apr 8, 2002
1) MSU (27 votes) I'm OK with it
2) Maryland (1 vote) OK
3) OSU OK
4) Purdue OK
5) Michigan Not likely, but others may be worse
6) Wisconsin See Michigan
7) Illinois I can see them anywhere from 7th to 9th
8) Iowa Living on rep. More like 11th
9) PSU I can see finishing here, but it depends on which team shows up
10) IU Another team battling for 7th through 10th spots in the league
11) Minnesota Minny may take one to the chin this year. 11th through 13th is their range
12) Rutgers RU is in the mid-range of 7th through 10th like most of the league.
13) Nebraska ? Lots of unknowns
14) Northwestern Worst team in the league

Reactions: BillyC80
Question is, if we finish 8th (let’s say .500 in league), will that be enough to dance?

The middle of the pack should all be very close this season. Gotta win the close games.

Illinois might be top 5 IMO

Rutgers too low obviously

There is so little difference in the middle of the pack that I think we finish around 9th or 10th with a better chance to surprise than disappoint.

.500 in conference has a chance combined with a winning preseason against fairly strong opponents. With the lousy sos preseason this year, it will most likely take much better than 500.

When in doubt rank Rutgers near the bottom. You'll never get beat up in the press so it's just safer that way.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
I love it that we are predicted to finish near the bottom. It will be that much more enjoyable when we kick some butt... Pike has me pumped talking up the team... get the feeling regardless of this weak ooc schedule, our record will propel us into the big dance. I share with this team's high expectations.

This year do we get Illinois twice or only play them at the RAC?

My Preseason;

1. MSU
2. Maryland
3. Purdue
4. OSU
5. RU
6. Wisky
7. Michigan
8. Illinois
9. IU
10. PSU
11. Iowa
12. Minny
13. Nebraska
14. Northwestern

Take it near the bank...

This comes close to mine too if we really out it together this year

At some point you need to assert dominance over the bottom half of the league to site near the top half. Does anyone foresee that?

I’m really unsure what we will see from this team. Some days I think we can. Some days I think this media poll is right.

At some point you need to assert dominance over the bottom half of the league to site near the top half. Does anyone foresee that?

I’m really unsure what we will see from this team. Some days I think we can. Some days I think this media poll is right.

Outside of top 10-15 teams who really does that?

Reactions: Scangg and kcg88
The usual season for every program involves 2 to 3 games where a team plays bad, 2 to 3, where they play over their heads and the remaining 14 to 16, where they play to their normal level of play.

The issue is where is RUs "normal" level for 2019-2020.

If we use the B1G schedule as this example, we can find 2 to 3 clunkers and 2 to 3 games where the team looks ready to take the next step. I think RU played better in 2 losses (home to Iowa, at Illinois) than they did in 2 wins (at Northwestern at Penn State).

The other narratives retired or at least eliminated was only 1 road B1G win prior to last year....we picked up Northwestern Penn State and Iowa, to go from no road success, to at least having shown an ability to win away from home.

The key IMO is getting the average performance higher than where it was last year. There are fans that look at the 2 to 3 off games as the norm and others looking at the games at Iowa, at Illinois and home games as the next step forward (Indiana, Minnesota, Nebraska).

If the RAC becomes a tougher visit for B1G teams, we can go 6-4 or better at home and shoot for 3 to 4 road wins, which are baseline requirements to make the NIT/NCAA discussions.

The other reason why a "normal performance" has to be better, involves margin of defeat in road losses has to be cut down. An 8 point loss on the road looks significantly better than an 18 to 25 point margin of defeat.

Reactions: Scangg
NJH....defense (defensive rebounding is a part of defense in my eyes) is less volatile on a game to game basis than offense. Can our base performance be even or one step back defensively and two steps forward offensively?

In my eyes so many unknowns coming in to the season. To me the only player that should be a given isn't as we don't know what position Baker will play and what he is if he has less ball handling responsibilities.

Rutgers to Nit this year

unless we take out a couple top 25 teams and finish top half of the league the NCAA will be tough for a team who had not been there in 20+ years

Rutgers to Nit this year

unless we take out a couple top 25 teams and finish top half of the league the NCAA will be tough for a team who had not been there in 20+ years
If you looked at some of the other teams in the B1G, it's possible for Rutgers to finish in the top half of the league. Rutgers has fewer question marks than most of the league. Rutgers has proven players, but outsiders continue to relive history as the deciding factors.

If you looked at some of the other teams in the B1G, it's possible for Rutgers to finish in the top half of the league. Rutgers has fewer question marks than most of the league. Rutgers has proven players, but outsiders continue to relive history as the deciding factors.

Just say we finish 7th with a 500 record and the 8th place team has the same league record but maybe beat a top 25 team at the end of the season I can see that other team chosen ahead of us.

NJH....defense (defensive rebounding is a part of defense in my eyes) is less volatile on a game to game basis than offense. Can our base performance be even or one step back defensively and two steps forward offensively?

In my eyes so many unknowns coming in to the season. To me the only player that should be a given isn't as we don't know what position Baker will play and what he is if he has less ball handling responsibilities.
We should be a step or two forward offensively and similar defensively. Lose Shaq and a hobbled EO but have better versions of Myles and Carter along with Doucoure back. The young guys will all be better defensively after a year of on court experience and S&C.

The big factor defensively that is a major plus is Young. We reallyyy struggled stopping penetration from quick PGs and now have Young to limit that which will help the overall team defense

top 10 is my bet. We will be a lot better than most are anticipating our ranking will always be discounted due to being Rutgers until we prove otherwise.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT