ADVERTISEMENT

Men's Lax Ranked #8 This Week

bigmatt718

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Mar 11, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think we were #9 in the IL poll last week, so moved up one to #8. But OSU jumped us to #6.

The big mover is Johns Hopkins, which went from unranked RV (#29 in votes) to a tie for NUMBER 6 this week, after beating then #3 Georgetown. I mean, that’s a great win and all, but #6 seems a tad high and probably reflects the Hopkins bias in the media.

Reactions: bigmatt718
I'd throw Michigan in there. They went down to Uva and showed very well. They have a lot of talent.

Wouldn't be shocked to see PSU pull off some upsets. This is as strong as the league has ever been, imo.

I'd throw Michigan in there. They went down to Uva and showed very well. They have a lot of talent.

Wouldn't be shocked to see PSU pull off some upsets. This is as strong as the league has ever been, imo.
Cali I guess they love the Ivies! Are they that good that is 5 in the top 10

I think we are all waiting to find that out. On paper they are to be very good. But paper doesn't win games. It will be interesting to watch play out. Last year they were an afterthought and were the hunter. Now they are in a position of being hunted. It's a different role.

Those Maryland game stats are crazy. If I saw how many faceoffs they won (81%) I'd have bet a lot of money they won game.

Need one or both of USC/UCLA to add men's lax. USC seems far more likely as they already have women's lax and can add a sport like field hockey or softball to satisfy Title IX compliance. How there are zero D1 programs in the state of California I have no idea...even schools like Cal Poly could be options to add it IMO.

Santa Barbara has often had good club teams. I could see a school like that adding it.

But yea, more B1G schools need to add it. It would be great if UCLA or USC did, or both.

The benefit of scheduling like Hopkins is if you win, you’re gonna fly up the rankings. And frankly if they beat UNC tomorrow then they’re deserving of the rank. They beat GTown on Sat. If RU beats a GTown, then they move up…Ohio State has a strong stretch coming up with UVA, Cornell, UNC, ND, and Denver…I mean that’s strong. OSU already beat AF, who just beat Denver…

Circle the Princeton game for RU. That’s the “juice” game for RU this year. Win a game like that and people take notice.

And I say that as a guy that dislikes Hopkins and OSU, but they schedule tough and when you win more of those games then you lose, you automatically become a team inside the tourney bubble.

Loyola has a softer Patriot schedule, but they take all comers in the non-conf in; Maryland, Hopkins, Rutgers, Towson, Duke, Gtown…

Teams with “Juice” wins are gonna make bigger jumps this early…aside from Princeton and maybe Loyola…RU is gonna have to get its “Juice” wins from conference play this year and they will need to win most of them.

In the meantime, if Hop, and OSU, and MD win a lot of those big OOC games, then if RU beats them, it benefits RU in May.

Santa Barbara has often had good club teams. I could see a school like that adding it.

But yea, more B1G schools need to add it. It would be great if UCLA or USC did, or both.

Northwestern. Northwestern, Northwestern. A top tier women's team for a quarter of a century and the bucks to do it.

Reactions: mattkamish
NW, MSU, and Minnesota are the names I hear most in the Big Ten.

Boston College moving back to D1 is getting a lot of play behind the scenes.

UConn should add D1 men's lax as well. They'd be formidable with all the talent surrounding them.

They dropped it in the late 70's

BTW, NC State had a decent (but not UNC caliber) D1 program in the 70's. Stan Cockerton, who you hear in Canadian discussions, was an AA.

Hahaha, I knew you would. There are a lot of alums that played in the program when you had one that want to see that happen.

Reactions: mattkamish
They dropped it in the late 70's

BTW, NC State had a decent (but not UNC caliber) D1 program in the 70's. Stan Cockerton, who you hear in Canadian discussions, was an AA.
He wasn't just an all American. I believe he held the single season record at one point.

I know it's better for our conference mates to win but I just can't ever not like seeing Hopkins lose.

They are better than last year but still lacking. They have some real smurfs on that team.

Reactions: herdof3
Hopkins losing 10-7 to UNC in the 4th Quarter.

Watched the 1st half in my office. Hopkins was ahead. UNC was very sloppy and Hopkins's goalie was hot. I'll say this, Collision gives the Hopkins offense a physicality that was not there last yesr

I wasn't impressed with either team to be honest. Unc has a bunch of tarzan's but they play very unintelligently. They have some solid players though no doubt. I'd be surprised if they go into OSU and come out with a win.

Hopkins seems like they know what they want to do, but I am not sure they have the horses to do it. They make you work on defense, but the flip side of that is your offense is working so hard to produce good shots. If they don't win faceoffs, that's a tough way to win games as we saw today. They don't get anything easy.

I wasn't impressed with either team to be honest. Unc has a bunch of tarzan's but they play very unintelligently. They have some solid players though no doubt. I'd be surprised if they go into OSU and come out with a win.

Hopkins seems like they know what they want to do, but I am not sure they have the horses to do it. They make you work on defense, but the flip side of that is your offense is working so hard to produce good shots. If they don't win faceoffs, that's a tough way to win games as we saw today. They don't get anything easy.

A 1 horse offense?

I’ll watch them live on Saturday. They looked worn out in the second half tonight. Ridley will be a hornets nest in 4 days.

Good run ahead

Loyola v Hop on Saturday

Wed and Thursday next week I’m gonna go watch an old RU alum play for the Whips in the PLL Championship Series Sixes 😏

They up to SHI a week from Saturday to see RU v Loyola and some old friends…I’ll have to wear some different colors though…apologies in advance 😉

Reactions: Caliknight
Where is the sixes series being played? That game is tailor made for 44. Those are the guys that excel.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT