ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Dare- Looking Good

Don't remember - did he leave before we got Kill? Think Kill would have liked him.

Don't remember - did he leave before we got Kill? Think Kill would have liked him.
After, I believe.
For whatever it was worth, he was the #12 recruit in NJ for the 2015 Class, and the #18 Pro-Style QB, according to Rivals--the very type of recruit RU fans seek. IIRC, the level of competition of his HS team was not all that high. He was all in for Rutgers and shut his recruiting down after committing early.

Anyway, here are a few old threads on him, and a Todderick article. Would be a pisser if he lived up to all of Todderick's praise.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/mike-dare.7382/

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/thank-you-thread-to-mike-dare.7414/

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/qb-dare-bulked-up-to-225lbs.21069/

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2014/03/rutgers_commit_analysis_michael_dare.html

Dare's overall mechanics are solid. He sets up quickly, immediately putting himself in position to release the football. And once he spots an open receiver, it doesn't take him long to get the ball there. He has a quick, compact release. And he has a good overhand throwing motion with nice weight distribution to his lead foot and good follow through.

These traits allow Dare to effortlessly flick the football down the field with accuracy to beat any incoming pass rush. And he has the precision to drop the ball in between the opposing team's cornerback and safety, when there is help over the top.

The ball jumps out of his hand with good velocity when he sets his feet. And he has the arm talent to place the ball effectively.

Why did we get rid of him? Looks like Flaco in making. We seem to produce great QBs after they leave. One day we will keep one and will make Rutgers Great Again.

He has arm talent for sure , but not what it takes to be a complete QB, especially at the power 5 level. Nice kid, strong arm - Monmouth is the perfect place for him.

Reactions: RUchip
Good for him. Wish him the best but those look like practice clips with him wearing a red jersey. His delivery looks a bit low. There's a reason a d1a player transfers to a JC after a couple years of getting recruited over. Best of luck.

GO RU

He will go the route of Rettig and Oden... a D2 QB... there is nothing bad about that... but who would you prefer Lewis or Dare lining up next year ?

Good for him. Wish him the best but those look like practice clips with him wearing a red jersey. His delivery looks a bit low. There's a reason a d1a player transfers to a JC after a couple years of getting recruited over. Best of luck.

GO RU
And he fits the bill

He has arm talent for sure , but not what it takes to be a complete QB, especially at the power 5 level. Nice kid, strong arm - Monmouth is the perfect place for him.

I was thinking the same thing. He excelled in a weak(er) high school conference but simply didn't have the tools to be a P5 starter, which not many actually do, let's be real. That being said, good for him, wish him nothing but the best was a GREAT ambassador for RU both before and while he was OTB!

It wasn't that he was recruited over, it was that he's a pro-style QB and we've committed to the spread.

He did; his transfer was likely already in motion prior to Kill coming here. I think he would have liked Kill as well. He's a great kid/ great family too and was Rutgers through and through. I hope he does well as Lackawanna and beyond.

Joe P.

Last edited:
Mike Dare earned his first offer from Sam Houston State.
Ranked #9 for JUCO QBs.
He shows pretty good mobility and running ability here.

DMscdxJVwAADZJX.jpg:large

I'm pretty sure every QB on our roster would look good throwing against a JC secondary with no pass rush. Try doing that with a B1G defense in the backfield all day and B1G defensive backs. Lewis looked like Cam Newton against Morgan State.

I'm pretty sure every QB on our roster would look good throwing against a JC secondary with no pass rush. Try doing that with a B1G defense in the backfield all day and B1G defensive backs. Lewis looked like Cam Newton against Morgan State.
Did you watch the video. Would not say there was "no pass rush." No, they are not playing Ohio State every weekend, but he is showing good mobility and chucking bombs.

Did you watch the video. Would not say there was "no pass rush." No, they are not playing Ohio State every weekend, but he is showing good mobility and chucking bombs.

He's wearing a red jersey. They aren't hitting him. Put Lewis against that secondary and he'd be chucking bombs too. Jalen Chatman's high school highlights are the same thing. And his receivers are wide open.

He's wearing a red jersey. They aren't hitting him. Put Lewis against that secondary and he'd be chucking bombs too. Jalen Chatman's high school highlights are the same thing. And his receivers are wide open.

You clearly didn't watch his mid season highlights and only watched the video at the top.

Reactions: Knight Shift
at my gym there is a guy who is from Dare's hometown and we talk RU football all the time....he constantly brings up Dare in the conversation, giving me the stats of Dare's latest game.

THe guys attitude is probably typical of many of those who know and like a transfer.....bitter, thinking the kid got a raw deal, etc......even if the player himself does not express this.

anyway, the guy always says it in a way that sounds like RU made a big mistake.....I don't respond to it much, but I always think that Dare is fitting in now with his proper competition level.....if he ever gets to a div 1 school and performs, then maybe RU did mess up.... I would hope the kid succeeds at his level

You clearly didn't watch his mid season highlights and only watched the video at the top.
What do you think of his mid-season highlights? Footwork, reads, etc? I was surprised by his mobility.

Sam Houston State is coached by KC Keeler, who was HC for a number of years at Rowan and Delaware. In 3 seasons at SHS, he is 34-10, and went 12-1/9-0 last year.

at my gym there is a guy who is from Dare's hometown and we talk RU football all the time....he constantly brings up Dare in the conversation, giving me the stats of Dare's latest game.

THe guys attitude is probably typical of many of those who know and like a transfer.....bitter, thinking the kid got a raw deal, etc......even if the player himself does not express this.

anyway, the guy always says it in a way that sounds like RU made a big mistake.....I don't respond to it much, but I always think that Dare is fitting in now with his proper competition level.....if he ever gets to a div 1 school and performs, then maybe RU did mess up.... I would hope the kid succeeds at his level
Hindsight is 20/20, and sometimes good ones get away. But more often than not, cream rises to the top. Think we saw that with how other recent RU QBs washed out at their final stops. The knock on Dare out of HS was he did not face solid competition. Maybe that's the case at Lackawanna. He was all in on Rutgers very early on. I wish him luck.

What do you think of his mid-season highlights? Footwork, reads, etc? I was surprised by his mobility.

Sam Houston State is coached by KC Keeler, who was HC for a number of years at Rowan and Delaware. In 3 seasons at SHS, he is 34-10, and went 12-1/9-0 last year.

I personally think he should be the starting QB here if he had stayed. I like his ability to stand tall on the move, I think he has a stronger, and more accurate arm, than any QB we have on the roster. He does a good job of getting his shoulder up when he is extending the play so his balls do not drop. He plays in a legit JUCO environment and is doing very well.

Hindsight is 20/20, and sometimes good ones get away. But more often than not, cream rises to the top. Think we saw that with how other recent RU QBs washed out at their final stops. The knock on Dare out of HS was he did not face solid competition. Maybe that's the case at Lackawanna. He was all in on Rutgers very early on. I wish him luck.

Lackawanna is a legit JUCO program that plays legit juco programs.

You resurrected your own thread because Mike Dare got his first offer from Sam Houston State?

I'm not as big a fan of Gio as others here, but our current starting QB is 2-0 in conference. Why bring up a random transfer who is playing at Lackawanna? Curious timing.
I was one of the earliest Gio supporters here, and I still am a Gio supporter.
Mike Dare came up on my Twitter feed. Just sharing some info on the kid.

Reactions: RutgersRockies
Why did we get rid of him? Looks like Flaco in making. We seem to produce great QBs after they leave. One day we will keep one and will make Rutgers Great Again.
We didn’t get rid of him or any other player for the matter. It’s called transferring and is a personal decision by the player not the coach

We didn’t get rid of him or any other player for the matter. It’s called transferring and is a personal decision by the player not the coach

Strictly personal? You don’t think he may have been encouraged to look elsewhere?

LOL

Anyway, hope we can get him in for an official visit!

Dare seems like a good kid and I hope he does well, but his success at a small time JUCO school like Lackawana College is irrelevant to how he would do in the Big10.

Seriously? C'mon, he has maybe Bolin speed and while he threw a couple of nice passes, these were not the defenses he'd be facing in the B1G. I hope he succeeds, but have my doubts.

Strictly personal? You don’t think he may have been encouraged to look elsewhere?

LOL

Anyway, hope we can get him in for an official visit!
I think he was smart enough to say “ I’m never going to sebe this field in this offense. Time to look else where.”

He's got an arm no doubt about it. His mobility? Welp you tend to look faster against slower players. Especially when those guys are smaller, he's just shucking guys in that vid. So I don't take too much from that.

He does show some good situational awareness in that video, plus he places some balls where only his receivers can get them.
Take it easy. AFAIK Dare didnt crack the 3 deep at RU.

Nows he's Joe Flacco ?
Um, as stated above, he was recruited as a pro-set QB and in 2016 we were a wide open spread offense run by our Wonder Kid Drew Mehringer.

whatever man, you can't keep following girls on Facebook who refuse to go out on a 2nd date with you. It is just creepy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT