ADVERTISEMENT

Mister DJ!!

G- RUnit

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Sep 13, 2004
Thought did very well! Adding Born to Run was nice.

Have to add Bay City Rollers… S A T U R D A Y KNIGHT begging to be a sing along!
Try it! Have the Cheerleaders spell it! So easy! The Knight is the explanation point!

If you are going to play Mr. Brightside you have to play the Mr. Brightside Lyric! Just like Don’t Stop Believin’. You have to play Don’t Stop Believin lyric!

Still think post game, we’re having a party by Southside is better than baseball in Glory Days!

Have to add Bay City Rollers… S A T U R D A Y KNIGHT begging to be a sing along!
Try it! Have the Cheerleaders spell it! So easy! The Knight is the explanation point!
Does anyone under the age of 50 know who the Bay City Rollers are?

Are there any songs from this millenia that could be used instead?

The whole spelling out Rutgers to the beach song (embarrassingly I don’t know what it’s called) is pretty cool. Only problem is that nobody participated. If the whole crowd chanted each letter it would be fun.

I like the “We are having a party“ by Southside Johnny as the post game song way more than Glory Days!!! Glory Days reflects to the past………let’s go forward and celebrate what just happened.

Mister DJ needs to give Mr. Horn guy the boot. My ears are still bleeding.
As someone who sat in the north end zone for the duration of the VTech game, I'm at the point where the stadium horn operator needs to be tied to the crossing arms at a busy freight train grade crossing, so that they can listen to three long and one short horn blasts up-close all that they want and see how they like it.

I counted five consecutive horn blasts on one occasion. It is actually detracting from the third/fourth down stadium noise, since a lot of people are either distracted by the train horn or (like me) just refuse to start making noise until we are sure that the horn has stopped drowning us out. The horn's only redeeming factor is that it annoyed the visiting Hokie fans sitting in my section, some to the point of leaving prematurely.

If you are going to play Mr. Brightside you have to play the Mr. Brightside Lyric! Just like Don’t Stop Believin’. You have to play Don’t Stop Believin lyric!

Still think post game, we’re having a party by Southside is better than baseball in Glory Days!
Please, no Bay City Rollers. If you want a "Saturday" song, I'd much rather go with Saturday Night's Alright for Fightin' by Elton John which is a way better song and a really high energy one, too, or if you want a chance for anyone under 40 to recognize the song, maybe "Saturday Sun" by Vance Joy.

I probably agree that Southside's cover of "We're Havin' a Party" is a better selection than Glory Days, especially since we're now hearing Born to Run and Badlands semi-regularly now.

I posted last week that I thought the DJ was playing better music and being more creative with some interesting mixes (like the Queen/AC-DC mix), plus acknowledging artists who died recently, like Jimmy Buffet and the guy from Smashmouth (but they missed NJ's own Gary Wright).

Reactions: Jimpeg and G- RUnit
Please, no Bay City Rollers. If you want a "Saturday" song, I'd much rather go with Saturday Night's Alright for Fightin' by Elton John which is a way better song and a really high energy one, too, or if you want a chance for anyone under 40 to recognize the song, maybe "Saturday Sun" by Vance Joy.

I probably agree that Southside's cover of "We're Havin' a Party" is a better selection than Glory Days, especially since we're now hearing Born to Run and Badlands semi-regularly now.

I posted last week that I thought the DJ was playing better music and being more creative with some interesting mixes (like the Queen/AC-DC mix), plus acknowledging artists who died recently, like Jimmy Buffet and the guy from Smashmouth (but they missed NJ's own Gary Wright).
Phil Collins' In the Air Tonight made a nefarious return Saturday night. . . . .that song was the kiss of death in the Flood years.

Morissey said it best-hang the DJ:

Reactions: RU848789
Phil Collins' In the Air Tonight made a nefarious return Saturday night. . . . .that song was the kiss of death in the Flood years.

Morissey said it best-hang the DJ:
Yeah, but they blew the timing on the drum solo completely, having to shut it off for the play right before the solo - you have to get that one right. I have Hang the DJ in quite a few party playlists I've done - it's a great song and it always gets a few chuckles.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
Yeah, but they blew the timing on the drum solo completely, having to shut it off for the play right before the solo - you have to get that one right. I have Hang the DJ in quite a few party playlists I've done - it's a great song and it always gets a few chuckles.
Surprised this never made one of your weather threads. . . .

I prefer this one. Never heard of this band/artist. Like the energy:

You think woke Rutgers is going to allow an Elton John song that glorifies fighting to be played? Pfffft!

You think woke Rutgers is going to allow an Elton John song that glorifies fighting to be played? Pfffft!
Half the songs are fast/upbeat with some violent imagery (7 Nation Army, Blitzkrieg Bop, Won't Back Down, Sweet Caroline, etc. - ok j/k on that one) which is kind of what you want for a violent sport that mimics warfare in some ways, so yes.

I liked that they played the imperial March and only showed Darth Vader for the dark side montage this time around..much better

I'm with Skinny on this one. You'll never hear it.
Wow, I half thought Skinny was kidding - I can't imagine them not playing that song if they thought it was a good song to play. Just look at the whole "dark side" defense thing which glorifies Darth Vader who destroyed whole planets with billions of people on them (among other horrible deeds) - a song about partying and maybe getting into a fight is nothing compared to that.

Thought the pregame music was not as loud as last week. Horn still overused and over loud. Sent in survey

Been saying for a long time, gotta work Immigrant Song thunder into the playlist: We R Your Overlords!

Great song, of course - at least one Zep song would be nice, although have you noticed that in several games last year they would play just musical sections of Dazed and Confused? Couldn't figure out why they never played any of the singing parts.

Edit - D'oh! it was instrumental snippets of Kashmir, not Dazed and Confused...

Last edited:
Great song, of course - at least one Zep song would be nice, although have you noticed that in several games last year they would play just musical sections of Dazed and Confused? Couldn't figure out why they never played any of the singing parts.
??? No I hadn't heard any Dazed & Confused, while it would make sense considering some of Gleeson's playcalling back then, not a good look for RU lol. Would've been perfect though for some horrific ref calls last year, especially that fricken' Nebraska debacle.

Love the horn - looks like I'll need to give them that feedback to cancel yours out, lol...
The horn defeats the whole purpose of fan participation if all it does is completely drown out their yelling (even if it was originally intended to drown our the "F Penn State" chant). Besides being overused and overdone, it is utterly way too loud. We had small children terrified and covering their ears in our section for Chrissakes. If the fanbase doesn't know enough to get loud on each and every third down by now, God help us.

??? No I hadn't heard any Dazed & Confused, while it would make sense considering some of Gleeson's playcalling back then, not a good look for RU lol. Would've been perfect though for some horrific ref calls last year, especially that fricken' Nebraska debacle.
It was instrumental snippets of Kashmir, not Dazed and Confused - I kept waiting for them to launch into the "whoa let the sun beat down upon my face" opening lyric, but they never did - was annoying...

The horn defeats the whole purpose of fan participation if all it does is completely drown out their yelling (even if it was originally intended to drown our the "F Penn State" chant). Besides being overused and overdone, it is utterly way too loud. We had small children terrified and covering their ears in our section for Chrissakes. If the fanbase doesn't know enough to get loud on each and every third down by now, God help us.
We completely disagree - love the horn as I think it really gets the crowd going.

We completely disagree - love the horn as I think it really gets the crowd going.
Horn does nothing but get in the way of getting the crowd going. There are fan cheerleaders in each section, those guys and gals will usually start revving people up. A bunch of times I stood up to start cheering only to have our montage of Train Horn, Nolan way too long 3rd down call, "Make some Noise" and finally right up to snap cut off Metallica song. I simply sat back down and finally gave up realizing the DJ was just going to drown the entire stadium out. The guy fvcking sucks and took a lot of joy out of the game for me.

Sorry #'s, I love ya but you're wrong. With the mish-mosh of things they now try to squeeze into the 15-20 seconds before 3rd down, it discourages people from getting loud. I still try to yell and get loud myself, but I can't blame anyone for not wanting to loose their voice when it will just be drowned out by a cacophony of noise anyway - and even find myself yelling much less as I think "whats the point?".

Our seats are in 131, but through the course of the game I also found myself in 103, 107, and 122. Not so much in 131 for whatever reason, but in every single other section that I stopped in, I saw people from young to old covering their ears when the horn was played. My Girlfriend has sensitive hearing and usually brings earplugs to games - at the RAC its because of the crowd noise, at the Stadium its because of the scoreboard volume.

Further, whats worse, and absolutely unacceptable really - is the fact that the horn was played over/simultaneously as the Cannon firing after every score this past weekend, to the point where you couldn't even hear or notice the Cannon. This is one of our greatest traditions and should be embraced in the fullest, not trampled on.

Whoever this PJ Game Ops Mgr guy is, or whatever his name is, deserves to have his thumbs broke.

Sorry #'s, I love ya but you're wrong. With the mish-mosh of things they now try to squeeze into the 15-20 seconds before 3rd down, it discourages people from getting loud. I still try to yell and get loud myself, but I can't blame anyone for not wanting to loose their voice when it will just be drowned out by a cacophony of noise anyway - and even find myself yelling much less as I think "whats the point?".

Our seats are in 131, but through the course of the game I also found myself in 103, 107, and 122. Not so much in 131 for whatever reason, but in every single other section that I stopped in, I saw people from young to old covering their ears when the horn was played. My Girlfriend has sensitive hearing and usually brings earplugs to games - at the RAC its because of the crowd noise, at the Stadium its because of the scoreboard volume.

Further, whats worse, and absolutely unacceptable really - is the fact that the horn was played over/simultaneously as the Cannon firing after every score this past weekend, to the point where you couldn't even hear or notice the Cannon. This is one of our greatest traditions and should be embraced in the fullest, not trampled on.

Whoever this PJ Game Ops Mgr guy is, or whatever his name is, deserves to have his thumbs broke.
Disagree it all stops when the team begins the play or else it is a penalty - that is when the crowd should get loud.

Disagree it all stops when the team begins the play or else it is a penalty - that is when the crowd should get loud.
Huh? The crowd wants to influence the snap and communication of the offense. That's why we scream our heads off in batsh*t crazy fashion. During the play? Those players don't hear jacksh*t. The DJ and game announcer take up almost every second between the last play and current snap with a montage of piped in crap. It's a disgrace in the game of football to not let your home fans try and influence the game.

Horn does nothing but get in the way of getting the crowd going. There are fan cheerleaders in each section, those guys and gals will usually start revving people up. A bunch of times I stood up to start cheering only to have our montage of Train Horn, Nolan way too long 3rd down call, "Make some Noise" and finally right up to snap cut off Metallica song. I simply sat back down and finally gave up realizing the DJ was just going to drown the entire stadium out. The guy fvcking sucks and took a lot of joy out of the game for me.
Sorry, disagree. The horn and music are what cue people, especially our fairly casual fanbase to get loud and then when those sounds stop near the start of the play, the crowd noise then takes over. I will agree that probably 80% of the fans on this board don't need horns or music for that, but we're a small minority of the fans, and the rest do. We need to do an experiment: in similar situations, measure the noise levels prior to the snap with and without artificial noise piped in.

See my post above - I still disagree. Having said that, I agree 110% that the horn shouldn't drown out the cannon, although I heard the cannon fine, but we're first row 2nd level across from the cannon and likely get a louder cannon report than most.

The train horn is absolutely atrocious, unnecessary, and damaging to the ears, especially for young kids. The crowd and the band are perfectly capable of generating noise and cheering on 3rd down but who even wants to with that horrendous sound drowning everything out. It's even getting worse game by game. I really think whoever is in charge is actually trying to drive fans away - a PSU grad perhaps??

Reactions: RU-AGK and RW90
See my post above - I still disagree. Having said that, I agree 110% that the horn shouldn't drown out the cannon, although I heard the cannon fine, but we're first row 2nd level across from the cannon and likely get a louder cannon report than most.
If the horn is even drowning out the cannon, what does that tell you? Why should fans bother yelling at all during third downs if any moment that blasted horn is going to drown them out. If we wanted to hear the damn horn we could attend any NHL game and wait for a goal. Besides, it's not the least bit original as many stadiums have that audio, though not nearly as obnoxiously overplayed as at SHI.

Reactions: hoquat63
Agree 100% that the horn needs to go. Is there any way to provide feedback on the game day experience?

I took my family to the game this past Saturday and most of us were holding our ears on every third down. It completely ruined the crowd/football experience.

Seems other B1G fans at their stadium have similar complaints about the DJ:

"The first half was one of the worst atmospheres I’ve been a part of at Camp Randall. The DJ was embarrassing and interrupted our great announcer, the refs, and our offense."

"I really wish the UW would stop trying to add “more intense and exciting” crap. The atmosphere at Camp Randall used to be legendary, now it’s just blaring music and students scrolling on TikTok. Let the band play, the students lead chants, and actually have an engaged crowd."

"One of the more disappointing atmospheres to me was Indiana, where they did exactly this. Pumped music through the speakers the pregame/game. It came off as inauthentic energy. They were trying to compensate for not having much energy in the fanbase for the football team and you could tell. Felt like I was at a bottom tier professional sporting event."

"It's COLLEGE football. The band and the guy who plays, buttercup, jump around and sweet Caroline is all that's needed for music. There doesn't need to be someone pumping music every second football isn't being played. Hopefully they get rid of that guy."

"Our athletic staff doesn't know how to run events or cultivate an exciting atmosphere. Just look at basketball and hockey.
Louder doesn't mean better. Certainly not every single time. A DJ that is some weird boomer dumbass that has dogshit taste in music doesn't help."

"I just think it was way to loud. My season tickets are in Q and i couldn’t even talk about the game with fans around us because it was so loud that is not a fun atmosphere"

Silence and organic crowd noise are okay. Not every second in the stadium requires an assault on your senses!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT