ADVERTISEMENT

MLAX Recruit Ranked #25 for 2020 Class

I am not big on these rankings, but it is nice to see one of our guys listed. Guessing we will see more as there are tons of uncommitted players on this list.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiting/rankinglist/4
I am not sure that he is the best Middie in NJ in the 2020 class as Russo, Connell and Kirst probably have more upside and I think head to head the kid Aimone is really good as well. With two of those kids already committed to us (Aimone is committed as well) and Kirst taking a long look at us, (yea that is Kyle's fourth son) we have a shot at having a very good year in NJ as there are lots of kids from NJ littered in the Ranking.

Reactions: Caliknight
Where is Drago going?
not committed yet and I think Rutgers has a shot at him as well. If BB called kids on 9/1 I would imagine that Drago and Kirst were two of his first calls. There are a lot of good kids in NJ not on that list. remember this list is based solely on kids who played at an Inside lacrosse event. i know for a fact that the top goalie is not on this list. Craven is really good but their is another kid how is just lights out.

This is all good to hear. It's why I take these rankings with grains of salt. At best. The amount of resources looking and evaluating these kids is minuscule.

I'd trust your judgement over some guy at IL. With the ball rolling now the way it should, I think the next step to the ultimate prize is keeping the best in NJ in larger numbers.

From a football standpoint i know NJ places enough recruits at the FBS level each year to be ranked in the top 15 or so. Anyone have any idea how those national numbers compare in lax?

NJ is now on par with the amount of talent that any of the hotbeds produce. I don't know exact numbers, and comparatively, Maryland is a very small state with most of the talent all in the same league, but NJ is is producing a lot of talent.

We will never have a team full of NJ kids, which is by design. Coach Brecht wants a geographically well rounded roster. The key is to harvesting the best best of NJ, which means you are getting kids that can play anywhere. The core is NJ and extends out from there.

Cali & Family - did you see #15 on the list? Heading to Cuse unfortunately.

Yea, he told me two years ago. He was an early verbal. I was hoping something would change with us beating Syracuse last year, along with all the other positives. Onward and upward.

Yea, he told me two years ago. He was an early verbal. I was hoping something would change with us beating Syracuse last year, along with all the other positives. Onward and upward.
Yeah he committed as a freshman. Damn good player though. His sister started RU this fall.

Reactions: Caliknight
Yeah he committed as a freshman. Damn good player though. His sister started RU this fall.
Great for him, I saw Joe Borgese at the alumni event and his son is a 2021 middie at Yorktown who played last year as a freshman. He is a good looking kid.

Last edited:
From a football standpoint i know NJ places enough recruits at the FBS level each year to be ranked in the top 15 or so. Anyone have any idea how those national numbers compare in lax?
Last year NJ had over 100 division 1 commits which would put it in the top 4 or 5. Nj has consistently started to develop and produce real talent. Not like NY or Maryland but as much as anywhere else.
A good 10% of the top 100 IL list are Jersey kids and some of the best kids are not on that list.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
I've enjoyed the info shared in this thread....thanks

Lists don't always tell the full story as you guys have noted...the top 100 lists are fun for the players but if you don't play an IL event, your chances are slim you get on the list...

Lots of talent out there and it's growing in non-traditional markets...Midwest, Texas, Cali, Western states...NY, NJ, MD and surrounding areas still have the most players and great talent...but talent is out there in other places...we used to come east in the summer and take a beating...but we did it to show our kids where the level of play needed to get too...flash forward 2-3 years and we're playing in top events, and our teams win 75/80% of our games and the games we lose, we're getting beat by a goal or two in really good competitive games...

Make no doubt, the traditional states still have the most talent consolidated in the eastern states mentioned above....but my point is the talent pool is a expanding

One other note on these lists....I'd like to see actual birth dates of the kids. That would be a very telling bit of info to add to the list. I know it won't happen but I'd like to see it. PG years, holding kids back to repeat grades...it's an interesting topic...

One other note on these lists....I'd like to see actual birth dates of the kids. That would be a very telling bit of info to add to the list. I know it won't happen but I'd like to see it. PG years, holding kids back to repeat grades...it's an interesting topic...

No question. I can tell you in the MIAA in Baltimore, it's the exception to see kids that haven't been reclassified and repeat a grade. It happens early.

Makes Tommy Coyne playing last year very impressive. That kid showed up and was playing D1 games at 17.

No question. I can tell you in the MIAA in Baltimore, it's the exception to see kids that haven't been reclassified and repeat a grade. It happens early.

Makes Tommy Coyne playing last year very impressive. That kid showed up and was playing D1 games at 17.
That is very impressive...what Tommy did last year. That is my point...I'd like to look and find guys that are younger, that have made these lists because to me, that is even more impressive considering what goes on in terms of reclassified kids or PG kids...I get it's part of the landscape in many places out east...and people have the right to do what they want with their kids...but that was and mostly still is a very foreign concept in our area. You see a only a few cases, and trust me, it provides a distinct athletic advantage to the kid that's 12-15 months older than the kids they are competing against.....both my boys played in the grade they were supposed to play in based on age. Early in the process were told by a big ten school based in Michigan (you can figure that out :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) that they wanted my son, but he needed to take a PG year...we said thanks but no thanks. It all worked out for both my guys...so far anyway...

It really makes a difference on the summer club circuit when your playing teams full of re-class kids and you have none...you can figure it out pretty quick.

Again, everyone can do what they think is best...I'd just like to know the ages of kids to see what the real data shows...it would be interesting to me...that's all

I agree. It would interesting to see their ages. There is a huge advantage to being held back. Of course, the argument in MIAA schools is everyone is held back so it really isn't an advantage.

I was young for my original grade and got held back myself. Many of my friends, the same. First day freshman year I was picked up by my buddy, who was also a freshman, lol...

Reactions: Golfer2019
would love to see this as well, as it is becoming more common now in lacrosse and we are starting to see the "double repeat kid" he repeats a year generally 8th and then PG's somewhere else. In my experience we see repeats more in private schools than in public schools. I know on the club circuit it is next to impossible to regulate unless they go to an age based system but you would have to get the "Big 3" (Maverik, Blackcard and Under Armor) events to do this or it would be tougher. one of our teams this summer played another high level club team who was coached by a friend of mine. They were huge!!! I asked how many repeat kids they had (grad year 2021) he said oh not many and they said it was 12, we we had no repeats and actually had a kid a year younger. He said that he played teams with an entire roster of repeats.
what I was not happy with were the "National elite teams" where the cobble together the best kids from all of their club locations. We played three teams like that in one tournament.

It is what it is right...I've been to events/clinics where they have coaches panels telling people they "have" to PG or reclassify to have a chance at D1...Its the landscape...it's just not as prevalent here in the Midwest as in other places...

We played in three this year; North American Lacrosse Summer Invite, Crabfeast, and NapTown...watching the 2019's (my son is a 2019) and moreso the 2020's...you could see the guys that were a year older...and to your point RUFamily...I talked to a few parents and teams had 12-15 guys that were reclass and multiple "double reclass"

Look, like Cali mentioned...if your a young guy for the grade and your birthday is right by the cutoff in the fall, it is common that parents send you to one more year of pre-k...but that's more for just maturity and just getting ready to go to school...not an athletic move...I get that...but some of this other stuff...well, I guess it is just where we are at...frankly, I can't afford to send my kid to an extra year of prep school just for fun and to get better at Lacrosse...but that's just me...

When we played Culver in the spring season...I was told the kid playing my son (pole) was 15 months older...and they are in the same class...he's almost my older sons age...it's just an interesting aspect of the lacrosse world...

My son is only ten. He has also only played a single season. He loved it and was a perfect fit. First game scored like 3 or four goals and the rest of the season was a lot like that. But in no world would i ever, for one second, consider repeating a grade for the sole purpose of LAX (or any sport for that matter.) JMO

It's definitely a thing in Baltimore private schools, and has been for a long time. It's very much the norm. Reality is, it's probably worked out for a lot of kids. A year older is a huge difference at that age.

But, as I said, it's done so regularly that it isn't really an advantage there. When you see a freshman starting on Boy's Latin's varsity team, you can guarantee that kid is into his 16th year.

It is what it is right...I've been to events/clinics where they have coaches panels telling people they "have" to PG or reclassify to have a chance at D1...Its the landscape...it's just not as prevalent here in the Midwest as in other places...

We played in three this year; North American Lacrosse Summer Invite, Crabfeast, and NapTown...watching the 2019's (my son is a 2019) and moreso the 2020's...you could see the guys that were a year older...and to your point RUFamily...I talked to a few parents and teams had 12-15 guys that were reclass and multiple "double reclass"

Look, like Cali mentioned...if your a young guy for the grade and your birthday is right by the cutoff in the fall, it is common that parents send you to one more year of pre-k...but that's more for just maturity and just getting ready to go to school...not an athletic move...I get that...but some of this other stuff...well, I guess it is just where we are at...frankly, I can't afford to send my kid to an extra year of prep school just for fun and to get better at Lacrosse...but that's just me...

When we played Culver in the spring season...I was told the kid playing my son (pole) was 15 months older...and they are in the same class...he's almost my older sons age...it's just an interesting aspect of the lacrosse world...
It is funny that you mention Naptown that’s where my story happened but it was a 2021 game. I thought it was a great event and my son and his team had a great weekend, ( he made the all tourney team for the 21 class) but it is. Tough playing against kids a year or two older. The difference between 16 and 14 physically is huge.

Reactions: jayman
It is funny that you mention Naptown that’s where my story happened but it was a 2021 game. I thought it was a great event and my son and his team had a great weekend, ( he made the all tourney team for the 21 class) but it is. Tough playing against kids a year or two older. The difference between 16 and 14 physically is huge.
Naptown is a good event, strong field...my only issue with it is having all the different locations...tough to keep an eye on multiple age levels...but agree it's a good event...

It's a huge difference physically at the age, and I would argue you can't really catch up until your a sophomore in college...that's when generally everyone that matures at different paces reach that plateau so to speak...

The recruiting rule changes last year actually help not only coaching staffs but it also gives the "late bloomers" a chance to catch up...and you see less coaches having to take flyers on the kids that are shaving in 8th grade and the 16 year old freshman...they can wait and see what everyone looks like as a rising junior...it's gives some kids a chance that we're essentially locked out in previous rules....and as someone that has coached...I've seen many examples of the fully mature 8/9th grader get absolutely passed by the guy that's a little late blooming...those kids generally end up being physical studs vs the early riser...not always...but in many cases...

Last edited:
Reactions: rufamily
To that point, you never see Maryland club teams in the World Series of youth lacrosse because its age based.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT