ADVERTISEMENT

MONTEZ MATHIS COMMITS TO RUTGERS

The roster in 2018 will be B1G-ready, even if Sanders leaves early for the pros

1 - Baker, Mensah, McClung
2 - Mathis, Kiss
3 - Thiam, TBD, Bullock
4 - Doucore, Omoruyi, TBD
5 - Doorson, Johnson

And if Sanders stays, that will be one helluva backcourt.

Anxious to see who jumps on board next. We definitely need a 3 (Mucius?) and a 4/5 (maybe Pike can get back in it for Naz!).

Last edited:
Reactions: RUChoppin

2 - Mathis, Kiss
3 - Thiam, TBD, Bullock
5 - Doorson, Johnson

Anxious to see who jumps on board next. We definitely need a 3 (Mucius?) and a 4/5 (maybe Pike can get back in it for Naz!).

Naz did retweet mathis's commitment tweet FWIW.

Reactions: Scangg
6-4
I just recently got home from a football practice and had a chance to look at Mathis' Tweet. I noticed something that made me do a little investigating.

If you look closely at the graphic that Mathis Tweeted you will notice that "@tipton.edits" is nowhere to be found in the graphic.

I posted in another thread that Joseph Tipton told me that he did an edit for Mathis "about a week ago."

I just asked Tipton about the graphic that Mathis Tweeted today and he said "He must've had a last second change of heart because it (the Tipton edit) was UCONN... lol."

That further confirms that things changed in the past several days moving Mathis away from Connecticut and to Rutgers.
Great stuff, thank you.

Reactions: Russ Wood
Nah, all good BK! Just looking for validation that we still have it coming (at some point)!

While we are here, and given all your past connections with RU basketball, is this the most optimistic you have been for RU hoops?
I love this team and all these guys every season...so I'm always optimistic.

That said, its hard not to feel really really good about what's going on with the program right now

When I got in tonight I saw this. It is such an exciting time for RUB-Ball. Thank you Montez and Mac for believing in Steve Pikiell and our staff. I have been going to RU B-Ball games since 1971 and this just feels so good. As a long time RU fan and season ticket holder there are some of us who have suffered a long time with RU. I am 72 now and I think I just might get my wish to see RU make the NCAA again before my chips are cashed in. It is one thing I have wanted for a long time as well as for the other fans who have suffered like forever. This might not be immediate but I can see it within a few years. Steve Pikiell is the man and his staff is relentless as well. I just hope the doubters will realize how hard he works.

2 - Mathis, Kiss
3 - Thiam, TBD, Bullock
5 - Doorson, Johnson

As much as people questioned the staff for bringing in Mensah, at this point it appears to be a brilliant move, especially for 2018/2019.

(And it was good insurance in case Corey didn't return for 17/18.)

If Corey leaves after this coming season, we don't have to have McClung carry the load himself as a freshman. This will give him time to develop, as freshmen point guards don't often have a lot of success.

Steve Pikiell is the man and his staff is relentless as well. I just hope the doubters will realize how hard he works.
What doubters? None left now.

Hang in there Brother. Eat smart and exercise. Won't be long now.

The tenacity mike Williams has been replaced for 2018. Enjoy Mathis! Ball!

Thanks should be given to Athletic Director Hobbs for hiring Pikiell and giving him the budget to hire the assistant coaches who are so important in recruiting.

Kudos also to Sen Lesniack, and all who have contributed to the R Build Fund. We have an AD that gets it, a coach who won't be outworked and soon the facilities that are making recruits take notice that Rutgers is serious about succeeding in the best conference in college athletics.

Montez!!

You are going to be a legend at RU, my friend!!

Thanks for taking the juice up a notch at RU - this is going to be B1G TIME!!!

No need to rest at all! Gimme another big-time pickup tonight, tomorrow, the next day....keep em coming...it's awesome baby

dick-vitale-dancing.gif
^white man can't dance alert! lol

As much as people questioned the staff for bringing in Mensah, at this point it appears to be a brilliant move, especially for 2018/2019.

(And it was good insurance in case Corey didn't return for 17/18.)

If Corey leaves after this coming season, we don't have to have McClung carry the load himself as a freshman. This will give him time to develop, as freshmen point guards don't often have a lot of success.
Baker can also handle the point position. There you have baker, McClung, mensch. 2. Kiss, Mathis. No complaints here!

I am sure I will post this elsewhere, also.

Mathis reminds me a little like Eli Carter: College-ready body, strong to the basket, natural scorer, SOME (but not sniper) 3-point shooting ability, athletic "enough.". He looks to be a little bit taller than Carter, though.

Reactions: RUJMM78
First we needed a coach who can coach. Last year with the progress made defensively and rebounding we battled in the BIG. Then we needed a coach who can recruit....his hard work with this staff is now paying dividends, so next we need a coach to get us to the dance... I think we all should be feeling good about our chances that that box will get checked off too.

Can someone in the know compare this commit to Rosario. Interested both from a player to player comparison as well as the commitment in general to the program. Same level? Higher? Or lower?

Tough to compare. Rosario coming out of HS was a McDonalds AA and known as a shooter. Mathis is known as an all around player.

Reactions: RUJMM78 and jrh51
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT