ADVERTISEMENT

Montez Mathis has to be feeling some regret

I think Hyatt will improve. He just needs to play a little less with his hair on fire.

He will get major minutes next year and won't be pressing to make things happen in limited time.

Montez could play in our system but Hyatt has much more upside. I saw one game recently of St. John's and Tez basically had the same role he had here. He's an afterthought in their offense too.

He's perfect for our system assuming he focused on defense and playing in control. I guess he wanted more, but that just his skills set.

He will get major minutes next year and won't be pressing to make things happen in limited time.

Montez could play in our system but Hyatt has much more upside. I saw one game recently of St. John's and Tez basically had the same role he had here. He's an afterthought in their offense too.

He's perfect for our system assuming he focused on defense and playing in control. I guess he wanted more, but that just his skills set.
He might. We’ll see. Tez would’ve been collectively more helpful to our team this year though. It’s not even close. Hyatt has a long way to go on defense.

He might. We’ll see. Tez would’ve been collectively more helpful to our team this year though. It’s not even close. Hyatt has a long way to go on defense.
but who would be better for the chemistry of the team, seems like Taz might not have fit in as well with some of the other players.
Whereas Hyatt's attitude made him a valued member of the team by his teamates

If he accepted his role, sure. If he pouted about playing time and shots, no. He simply wasn't willing to be what we needed, and ironically he is, so he transferred.

Hyatt, even with his limited defense, wants to play here and is a much better shooter. I'd ride with that guy instead.

I am against the team taking any bad shots and if a player is going to take a bad shot, it better be Ron or Geo if he’s hot. Otherwise, bad shots are equivalent to a turnover. Mathis led the team in bad shots and many times he would fall down after a missed layup then scowl at ref. In the meantime, opposing team is running a 5 on 4 break. Additionally, Mathis was not a good passer or rebounder. Only thing he was real good at was defensive, but other parts of game made him a net negative. Also, let me know a worse free shooter for a two guard in RU history

Reactions: Unionst
If he accepted his role, sure. If he pouted about playing time and shots, no. He simply wasn't willing to be what we needed, and ironically he is, so he transferred.

Hyatt, even with his limited defense, wants to play here and is a much better shooter. I'd ride with that guy instead.
I wouldn’t say he’s been a much better shooter for us so far. He’s at like 29% overall. That’s pretty terrible. He did hit 2 big 3s though last game.

But probably the biggest frustration with Hyatt is his ball handling. I’m not sure how fixable that will be. We will have to see. It’s not like Tez where it was just dumb decisions driving into triple teams. Hyatt is regularly stripped with only limited on ball pressure.

Reactions: chrebet80
I am against the team taking any bad shots and if a player is going to take a bad shot, it better be Ron or Geo if he’s hot. Otherwise, bad shots are equivalent to a turnover. Mathis led the team in bad shots and many times he would fall down after a missed layup then scowl at ref. In the meantime, opposing team is running a 5 on 4 break. Additionally, Mathis was not a good passer or rebounder. Only thing he was real good at was defensive, but other parts of game made him a net negative. Also, let me know a worse free shooter for a two guard in RU history
I’m with you - that was all true last year. When we had other options for ball handling and defense.

This year we don’t have those things on the bench. Having Tez as the first guard off the bench would be helpful for this reason.

I’m with you - that was all true last year. When we had other options for ball handling and defense.

This year we don’t have those things on the bench. Having Tez as the first guard off the bench would be helpful for this reason.
I disagree as Mathis has a superstar mentality. He would never accept a role position

Johnson is eligible for another year too apparently. I didn't think guys who redshirted could use the grad transfer rule but apparently you can? I guess with the COVID extra year this is technically his senior year eligiblity-wise and then next year will be his grad transfer year.

Graduate transfer center Myles Johnson already participated in senior festivities while at Rutgers and has another year left in his graduate engineering program, providing an opening for him to return if he wanted to do so.

“Obviously, my hope is he’ll play again next year,” Cronin said of the big man who has fortified the team’s interior defense.

I am sure the LSU board would be having a similar conversation about Hyatt as we are Mathis if they discussed him.

So you say, and so have others. It's not like he transferred to MIT. He transferred to one of the NCAA's most historic basketball schools.
wrong. do you know UCLA's eng'g ranking?

it is well documented that Myles wanted to play bball, but Eng'g was more important than bball.

sure, he didn't transfer to MIT, but UCLA is an elite Eng'g program as well.

you forget he had legit higher bball options (I know this first hand) before he opted for Rutgers.

it is well documented that Myles wanted to play bball, but Eng'g was more important than bball.

sure, he didn't transfer to MIT, but UCLA is an elite Eng'g program as well.

you forget he had legit higher bball options (I know this first hand) before he opted for Rutgers.
Has anyone confirmed where Myles is interning this year?

I was a big Tez fan his first 2 years in the program, but his game plateaued, even regressed. We need guys on upward trajectories.

I think you're missing my point. He upgraded in basketball, big time. He just did. If the move was all about engineering, he could have gone elsehwere. The objective evidence says that it was about both. Message boards don't equal documentation.

He's also from Long Beach...
I'm not sure that changes it either. It could simply support a reading that, once he improved himself at RU enough to make the roster of a better basketball school close to home, he did it. And he picked one that's a very good engineering school. It's both. Listen, I like Myles. Very good defender, limited offensive player, good kid, true student athlete. But the signed-sealed-and-delivered-from-a-message-board notion that he left RU's basketball program solely because of engineering doesn't read true to me.

Yes I forgot about the Pikiell angle.

He was *said* to have not given guys like Young and Mathis a fair shake or opportunity because he played favorites.

So Young and Mathis go on to new programs, with an extra year under their veteran belts, and only do just as much (or less in some regards) than they did at Rutgers. But really nothing more.

Pikiell man!

Edit - this is not to take anything away from Young or Mathis and what they did here. But to laugh at the posters who claimed non-stop that they didn’t get a fair shake or enough opportunity.
Yep. As if any 20-something player knows more about basketball than
someone who played point for Jim Calhoun and has coached for 30 yrs. Please.

I'm not sure that changes it either. It could simply support a reading that, once he improved himself at RU enough to make the roster of a better basketball school close to home, he did it. And he picked one that's a very good engineering school. It's both. Listen, I like Myles. Very good defender, limited offensive player, good kid, true student athlete. But the signed-sealed-and-delivered-from-a-message-board notion that he left RU's basketball program solely because of engineering doesn't read true to me.
You stated one other point, but seemed to have missed it. He transferred for academics AND to be minutes from where he grew up. Covid messed up a lot of players who couldn't get to see their families during the pandemic. That's not a problem for Myles now. When he transferred to UCLA, it was pretty well known that he wasn't going to be a starter there. I doubt that he actually cares about that. IMO, he's got big things ahead of him, and most of them won't involve basketball.

Reactions: kcg88
We're not going to agree on the ultimate point here. But we may be able to agree that the reasons for his transfer are by no means a documented certainty.

If MM stayed at RU, Jalen redshirts. MM was more advanced on the offensive end. Equal defensively? Team chemistry? MM was a huge get for Pike. Sad to see him leave. But he was not a plus offensive guy and he wanted shots.

I think you're missing my point. He upgraded in basketball, big time. He just did. If the move was all about engineering, he could have gone elsehwere. The objective evidence says that it was about both. Message boards don't equal documentation.
i agree that it was about both, with a primary focus on solving for the eng'g piece.

i mean, yes, he is playing college in bball vs going to cal tech (do they even have a bball team)?

Nice try
Kinda obvious, once again looking to put forward a false narrative that he left for another reason

Old and tired
You’re a weird guy.

Anyone who is not a troll know the answer to where Myles is interning this semester?

You’re a weird guy.

Anyone who is not a troll know the answer to where Myles is interning this semester?
Then why did you ask for question?

I’m not the only person who calls you out for being full of it

Montez has one more year of eligibility right? Potentially would have been more valuable to next years team if he and Pike were in sync regarding his role.

So you say, and so have others. It's not like he transferred to MIT. He transferred to one of the NCAA's most historic basketball schools.

Similar to every time a transfer requests a hardship waiver because they had to be closer to a sick family member, they coincidentally transferred to a better football situation than they were previously in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT