ADVERTISEMENT

Mulcahy Article…

S.W.A.I.N

All Conference
Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Good things to say.
OGC.0b4557bb48815d9477073c2bab0e950e

Biggest takeaway from me is in preseason Paul talks about the defensive difference and physicality at Rutgers and the B1G

I am under the belief it is the style of play and fatigue and wear and tear from it is the biggest reason B1G struggle in post season

Addition via subtraction. Runnin and dishin not his game. Hope the change does him good so he can see if he “is who he says he is”, in his words.

Biggest takeaway from me is in preseason Paul talks about the defensive difference and physicality at Rutgers and the B1G

I am under the belief it is the style of play and fatigue and wear and tear from it is the biggest reason B1G struggle in post season
Completely agree. He was never fully healthy last year and the season became a grind for him. He’s a good guy and I wish him well.

Washington has some good talent, good transfer ins and older players. If it all meshes well, they can surprise. I wish Paulie well

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Washington has some good talent, good transfer ins and older players. If it all meshes well, they can surprise. I wish Paulie well

Just glad this is his last year. Would be awkward to have to play him in the regular season.

Also will be interesting to see if the addition of the west coast teams will change how the BIG plays in total.

I think of Paul’s transfer like Montez’s - mutually beneficial

Paul gave us a number of good years, etc but it was time for RU to transition to something different (I don’t blame the kid for moving on)

I fully expect paul will get the same warm reception that Myles received when he visits the RAC in a few years.

Paul wanted a more free-flowing offense and now Rutgers has it. It was a case of addition by subtraction. He was the one who wanted to walk the ball up the court with his back to the defender. Plus, Paul may have understood his weakness as a tough defender. Defense is not a priority for the Pac-12. Don't wish any ill will to Paul. This looks like both sides benefit from the move.

I know, I know…”Who?”

But will be of interest to some. Wish he would admit it was about $$, but at hey, nothing bad to say about us.

I don’t know if it was just the money. He didn’t seem comfortable in the spotlight as the face of the program.

Fate will have us facing Washington in the NCAAs. Guaranteed. And Paul will be able to settle a lot of arguments here.
And if he had another year of eligibility he might even visit the RAC.

My honest assessment was that Paul was forced to be the only vocal leader after Ron, Geo + others left and the young guys did not follow. I clearly remember a moment when Paul was calling for the ball and Simpson shook him off. I thought Paul’s head was going to explode. Once Mag was injured and Paul was in/out with injuries the whole thing fell apart. That’s a very tough spot. Last years team leaders were Paul, Cam (both who left and both had a hard edge) and Caleb. Caleb wasn’t a loud guy and appeared to be more leader through actions. I ultimately think Paul and Cam didn’t gel with the young group. Paul especially since he was so used to playing with older guys who all were on the same page. There is no doubt in my mind that Paul was very frustrated playing through injuries and with young guys not being on the same page.

Last edited:
Who is he? Who does he say he is? Don't follow. Jerseys point guard? Luv Paul no spite.

Paul left because we btought in and paid a player to play his position. In addition we have someone on last years roster that is returning that took his position at the end of the year

There is/was no path, other than injury, for him to play his position.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Paul left because we btought in and paid a player to play his position. In addition we have someone on last years roster that is returning that took his position at the end of the year

Then he’s a jerk for waiting as long as he did. He knew all of that long before he left, and he even waited until a month after Cam announced to makes matters much worse.

That’s a theory… I don’t necessarily believe it. Pike wanted him to stay and he would have played big minutes here. I believe the combination of not feeling like he fit with the team and then NIL were the major two reasons he left.

Wasnt he the leader in assists in B1G as a junior? If dishin wasnt his game whose game is it?
Leader in assists is deceiving … the STYLE of offense we will run didn’t suit him. In a slow down deliberate offense you can almost get an assist by accident … I mean a fast paced traditional drive and dish point guard.

I know, I know…”Who?”

But will be of interest to some. Wish he would admit it was about $$, but at hey, nothing bad to say about us.

Interesting that most thought Paul slowed us down, yet he intimates that the speed of the game out there will benefit him.

Leader in assists is deceiving … the STYLE of offense we will run didn’t suit him. In a slow down deliberate offense you can almost get an assist by accident … I mean a fast paced traditional drive and dish point guard.
Lets revisit what our offense is in late January.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
It wasn't about the money. He gave his NIL money away last year. It was about playing the point.

That’s fair too.

To me, he just never seemed comfortable with the attention that comes with being the face of the program, particularly given Caleb’s low key, laconic personality.

Ron and Geo were way beyond their years in embracing the media and fan attention and interactions.

Paul loved his time at Rutgers, but knew his role wouldn't be what he wanted and move on.
It was a move that needed to happen because the style of play Pike was changing to wasn't a good fit for what Mulcahy felt his PG talents fit.
Leaving was best for the program and the player , giving both a chance to play the type of game they wanted without being put in a position that made both look bad

I wish Paul nothing but the best. He always gave a 100 % effort and stayed and graduated from RU in four years. I think he was hurt in one of last year's early games and was never 100 % again the rest of the season. On top of that too many people on this forum ripped him up and down. He gave everything he had and many here I think pushed him to leave. I know I will always be grateful for what he did for RU.

Agreed.. I think so much is allowed in the Big Ten and then not in the NCAA Tourney. It is like we have to play a different game there. Size and strength matter a lot in the Big Ten.. and in the tourney that advantage almost costs you when you bang to get boards and so on. Then you are trying to avoid doing everything you learned to do as necessary in the Big Ten.

Hmm.. maybe The Big Ten should hire ALL the PAC 12's officials and boot their own.. replace them with Big XII officials...

That’s fair too.

To me, he just never seemed comfortable with the attention that comes with being the face of the program, particularly given Caleb’s low key, laconic personality.

Ron and Geo were way beyond their years in embracing the media and fan attention and interactions.
I think he had a really tough year last year because he was hurt, lost his confidence, and teams in the conference also made adjustments in defending him that took away plays that had been successful in past years. His junior year in particular he had the stretch of games where he carried us, and he was largely backing down smaller guards into the paint, and then scoring or passing. Our competitors figured out that with his slow pace and high dribble, they could bring help from the perimeter to both cut him off and potentially strip the ball away, and Paul never adjusted. Although he would have still had an important role on the team, when Pike went and got Fernandes, it was pretty clear he didn’t think Paul was cutting it as the starting point guard.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
I don’t think Paul or Cam left over playing time issues. What makes the most sense was the explanation at the time.

After the portal closed the market for grad transfers exploded. Cam went home on break and his brothers agent told him how much he could make if he transferred. He and Paul both announced their intention to transfer within a week.

Paul and Cam went for the bag. And you know what, it was the right move for both of them.

Reactions: BillyC80
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT