ADVERTISEMENT

Cliff disses Paul

Anyone have insight into the bit just above this quote in the story? What was Cliff implying about Paul and Cam constantly texting him about his draft status and then leaving after he announced he was coming back?

Bigger part of the story is where Cliff says he's not coming back after this year

------------

And let’s get this out of the way now: Yes, Omoruyi has two seasons of eligibility remaining thanks to the pandemic. Yes, he is aware that Rutgers has, with Bailey and (maybe) Harper, one of the best 2024 recruiting classes in the country. Yes, he is doubly aware that fans will obsess over the potential of adding him to a super team.

No, that is not even on his radar.

“I’ve already seen a lot of comments like that,” Omoruyi said. “A lot of DMs and stuff, or when I’m at the football game, people will say, ‘One more year (in 2024)?’ I was like, what do you mean one more year! We’ve got 17 players on this team already!

“Come on. I’ve got to chase my dream. I laugh it off.”

Cliff is super. Adding a soft jump hook should be huge this season. Plus the team has a clear leader and captain.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Cliff stating facts just like reporters have. Fastest team we have had in a long time. That takes nothing away from Paul or Cam.

Cliff is super. Adding a soft jump hook should be huge this season. Plus the team has a clear leader and captain.
Soft jump hook - LOL. Plus, we've replaced our captain, PM, an instinctual player who has been playing since he was five years old and was Player of the Year his senior year in high school with Cliff who has no basketball instincts and who first picked up a ball about six years ago. Looking forward to seeing how this all plays out.

Last edited:
Reactions: MiloTalon13
Its not exactly inconceivable that he may make more money at RU in 2024-2025 than anywhere else. Hes not a lock to be an nba draft pick, at least yet

Would have to play in a Bahamas tournament or play a game in Canada or something like that to make it work.

Just having written that, I'm shocked no promoter has tried putting together a MTE in Toronto or Vancouver just to make NIL easier

Reactions: Scangg
The team is faster. Not a diss but a fact.
While it can be, faster isn't always better. We lost two slow, instinctual and very smart players. Our captain, Cliff, is fast, athletic, and has few basketball instincts. We won 19 games last year, and if everyone came back, plus Mag's return, we would have likely won 21+ games this year and gotten into the NCAA Tournament. So I see 22+ wins at minimum as a sign that the changes we've made have improved the team, barring injury of course.

While it can be, faster isn't always better. We lost two slow, instinctual and very smart players. Our captain, Cliff, is fast, athletic, and has few basketball instincts. We won 19 games last year, and if everyone came back, plus Mag's return, we would have likely won 21+ games this year and gotten into the NCAA Tournament. So I see 22+ wins at minimum as a sign that the changes we've made have improved the team, barring injury of course.

Not sure what this has to do with the fact that we will play faster. You seemed to object to Cliff pointing this fact out.

Different topic than your OP. But of course faster doesn’t mean better. Taller doesn’t mean better. Slower doesn’t mean better. No single data point necessarily means better other than wins.
The original thread referenced an article where Cliff said how much faster they are this year.

Change your thread title then.

“Cliff disses Paul” suggests a different topic.

I didn’t really see it as much of an insult. Paul’s a crafty passer, but as a 6’8”/220 LB PG, he wasn’t crafted for an uptempo offense that pushes the pace.

Its not exactly inconceivable that he may make more money at RU in 2024-2025 than anywhere else. Hes not a lock to be an nba draft pick, at least yet
Yes, but if he wants a professional career he needs to start sooner than later. Pro teams at every level will have little interest in a 24 year old who still will need lots of development, they would rather put the time in with someone younger.

Cliff stating facts just like reporters have. Fastest team we have had in a long time. That takes nothing away from Paul or Cam.
and could be a reason both decided to leave.
Paul after he graduated, Cam going to his 3rd stop in his college career.
Both realized the faster pace didn't fit their style of play and felt leaving was best for them and the program.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Yes, but if he wants a professional career he needs to start sooner than later. Pro teams at every level will have little interest in a 24 year old who still will need lots of development, they would rather put the time in with someone younger.

No class. No studying. All basketball.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Both realized the faster pace didn't fit their style of play and felt leaving was best for them and the program.
Cam is playing for a team that will be playing faster than Rutgers this year . . .

Reactions: Plum Street

Not one of the rea$ons they left

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Cam is playing for a team that will be playing faster than Rutgers this year . . .
Uconn's pace last season was nothing special. Their offense was really good but it wasn't because they played at an especially fast pace. They were 123rd in pace (possessions/40 minutes)

But will he be a starter or will he be backing up true freshman Stephon Castle
in his quest for being part of a National Championship

Money might have been a major part of the reason Paul left, but the faster pace RU is planing to use also was a factor in leaving..

Of the top 10 scoring teams last season, only 4 made the NCAA tournament - Gonzaga, Arizona, Alabama, and Oral Roberts.

Gonzaga, the fastest team measured by points per game, was humiliated by relatively slow UConn, who ranked #31 on points per game.

Fast seems to be the word attached to the team now. Looking forward to Derek and Noah running the fast break. Not sure what Gavin brings to a fast break though.

And if Paul came in and the UMass transfer went away Cliff would be saying we got much bigger at guard.

Paul's strength was his size, not speed. I don't like how he left but it's time put all he did here in perspective, wish him well and move on.

Soft jump hook - LOL. Plus, we've replaced our captain, PM, an instinctual player who has been playing since he was five years old and was Player of the Year his senior year in high school with Cliff who has no basketball instincts and who first picked up a ball about six years ago. Looking forward to seeing how this all plays out.
Cliff replaced Paul? Is Cliff playing as a slow PG this year ?

The trend has been for star Big 10 Centers to stay another year when you think for sure they are gone.. you never know..??

Only that everyone feels that we need to play faster to be better, and like I said, faster isn't always better.

No faster isn’t always better

But last year we were not fastest enough to succeed - our slowness hurt us - particularly the offense

That is why basically everyone (with the possible sole exception of you) understand that much more team speed is likely a very good thing for THIS team

Reactions: Rokodesh
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT