ADVERTISEMENT

Cliff disses Paul

Of the top 10 scoring teams last season, only 4 made the NCAA tournament - Gonzaga, Arizona, Alabama, and Oral Roberts.

Gonzaga, the fastest team measured by points per game, was humiliated by relatively slow UConn, who ranked #31 on points per game.

Fast seems to be the word attached to the team now. Looking forward to Derek and Noah running the fast break. Not sure what Gavin brings to a fast break though.
I guess we could say when playing fast he gets to 3 pt line in corner, waits for D to collapse on our guards driving thru paint, gets kick out pass and drains a 3

Reactions: Fat Koko
Uptempo faster thing……lets talk at the end of January and really see if there is a noticeable difference in how we play.
You really can’t see based on our roster and the nugget that Pike is practicing with a 12 second shot clock, that we will be playing at an up tempo and faster pace.

I guess we could say when playing fast he gets to 3 pt line in corner, waits for D to collapse on our guards driving thru paint, gets kick out pass and drains a 3
Definitely sprinting to corners for transition 3's - a strength of his for sure. Changes floor spacing for defenders in transition, puts a lot of pressure on them and opens lanes for others.

Also look for him to get rebounds and go, both with the dribble and with passes up the floor. Or to get outlet passes and go. It's dumbfounding how much people sleep on his guard skills and speed.

Reactions: Usbcbowler
So isn't Clif validating the critisms of the offensive style over the years that got shouted down here.

Faster tempo
More points
More 3pt attempts

All things that some have been saying we needed to strive for.

Before some gives the lame "but we didn't have the players".
Sure. Both things can be true - we needed a better offensive system and ALSO needed better players.

But anyone who said we didn't need a better system (we win with defense) has pretty much proven wrong by Clif and HC Pike it seems.

Stretch Jen GIF by The Weather Channel

Reactions: NickRU714
So isn't Clif validating the critisms of the offensive style over the years that got shouted down here.

Faster tempo
More points
More 3pt attempts

Sure. Both things can be true - we needed a better offensive system and ALSO needed better players.

But anyone who said we didn't need a better system (we win with defense) has pretty much proven wrong by Clif and HC Pike it seems.
Not having the players isn't a lame comment, it would be lame to try to execute a system not built for the players you have.

You really can’t see based on our roster and the nugget that Pike is practicing with a 12 second shot clock, that we will be playing at an up tempo and faster pace.
We don't have Paul and Cam and the people we have added are just names to me. I haven't seen them play in B1G.

3 years ago I voiced my concerns to him about the defense and was told I'd really love Hyatt.

It is one thing to think you have something, but you really don't know until games are played.

Our ability to play "fast" has so much to do with Fernandes as the point guard. Basketball teams have been running set offenses for years because, in theory, they get you better shots. 3 point shot has changed that to a degree as it has changed what a good shot is.

I have gotten PLENTY of things wrong over the years. With that being said our playing "fast" as a concept in the preseason....I am pretty sure in the dog days of winter in the middle of the B1G schedule we will look back and say "what happened to us supposedly playing fast".

Other thought.....

Almost every preseason the thought is.....
1. this team has the most depth
2. we have so many players that are inter changable parts

Our ability to play a game with more possessions almost has to be dependent on a bigger rotation.

I have no idea what players will work out and which ones won't. Almost every rotation I see posted is with Chol and Hyatt. That has me questioning supposed depth.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Other thought.....

Almost every preseason the thought is.....
1. this team has the most depth
2. we have so many players that are inter changable parts

Our ability to play a game with more possessions almost has to be dependent on a bigger rotation.

I have no idea what players will work out and which ones won't. Almost every rotation I see posted is with Chol and Hyatt. That has me questioning supposed depth.

You must not think very highly of Pike since he brought Hyatt to RU and has also chosen to put and keep him in the rotation.....and will again this coming season.

As for Chol - not sure how anyone who is not at practice every day can form an educated opinion based on his medical redshirt freshman year resulting in 20 minutes of total playing time over 4 games last November.

Reactions: PaKnight

Faster tempo
More points
More 3pt attempts

I'm just curious why you feel that normal fan forum debate and discourse from those with opposing positions is being "shouted down",

You must not think very highly of Pike since he brought Hyatt to RU and has also chosen to put and keep him in the rotation.....and will again this coming season.

As for Chol - not sure how anyone who is not at practice every day can form an educated opinion based on his medical redshirt freshman year resulting in 20 minutes of total playing time over 4 games last November.
I think very highly of Pike. Like a statue needs to be erected now in front of the RAC. He has done the impossible.

As for Chol and Hyatt. I saw the 20 minutes and saw lastvyear how he wasnt even close defensively. I am not giving up on him, but i dont have PT in pen for him.

Forget what i see…..just get your cues from what Pike does with PT. When the season was on the line it was Oskar and not Hyatt or Chol that was on the floor. That tells me more than what my eyes see.

I think very highly of Pike. Like a statue needs to be erected now in front of the RAC. He has done the impossible.

As for Chol and Hyatt. I saw the 20 minutes and saw lastvyear how he wasnt even close defensively. I am not giving up on him, but i dont have PT in pen for him.

Forget what i see…..just get your cues from what Pike does with PT. When the season was on the line it was Oskar and not Hyatt or Chol that was on the floor. That tells me more than what my eyes see.
I agree. I think very highly of Pike, I love his relentless positivity.
Taking it all literally every year at this time seems ill-advised.

Soft jump hook - LOL. Plus, we've replaced our captain, PM, an instinctual player who has been playing since he was five years old and was Player of the Year his senior year in high school with Cliff who has no basketball instincts and who first picked up a ball about six years ago. Looking forward to seeing how this all plays out.
Terrible instincts are still instincts I guess

Chol was redshirting but it showed how bad Hyatt was playing that Oskar lapped him

Every year there is preseason hype on someone who doesn't deliver. I hope the Hyatt hype is real, but I wouldn't be shocked if he was the same player in year 6

Chol was redshirting but it showed how bad Hyatt was playing that Oskar lapped him

Every year there is preseason hype on someone who doesn't deliver. I hope the Hyatt hype is real, but I wouldn't be shocked if he was the same player in year 6
Chol was redshirted because he wasnt ready. Simpson wasnt redshirted

If Hyatt is mostly the same guy, just a little better defensively and a better 3-point shooting, he'll be a really good piece for ~25 minutes.

If you look at each position spot for spot - Hyatt being just a little bit better could make us better.

Reactions: Scangg
If Hyatt is mostly the same guy, just a little better defensively and a better 3-point shooting, he'll be a really good piece for ~25 minutes.

If you look at each position spot for spot - Hyatt being just a little bit better could make us better.
Hyatt has been incredible in the off-season. It's as if a light turned on for him in the summer.

We don't have Paul and Cam and the people we have added are just names to me. I haven't seen them play in B1G.

3 years ago I voiced my concerns to him about the defense and was told I'd really love Hyatt.

It is one thing to think you have something, but you really don't know until games are played.

Our ability to play "fast" has so much to do with Fernandes as the point guard. Basketball teams have been running set offenses for years because, in theory, they get you better shots. 3 point shot has changed that to a degree as it has changed what a good shot is.

I have gotten PLENTY of things wrong over the years. With that being said our playing "fast" as a concept in the preseason....I am pretty sure in the dog days of winter in the middle of the B1G schedule we will look back and say "what happened to us supposedly playing fast".
The pace setters on offense will be Davis and Simpson . Ferenandes will have the ball but will spend more time off the ball opposite of Gavin on the floor. Those two will provide spacing and shooting, giving more space for Cliff to operate and room for Simpson and Davis to get to the rim. Our pace will be up because of the athleticism on the court 1-5. We don’t have the horses to play the defense we have been accustomed too.

Will still play tough Defense but it will not be our identity. We have become smaller in height and weight to lock ppl down .

Pike assessing what we have and changing accordingly.

Yea pretty candid response there. At least Cliff staying was the most important of the 3
My first impression of that comment by Cliff was, that maybe Paul and Cam thought the offense stagnated when they were instructed to throw it down low to Cliff so often.

While there was some truth to that, on the whole you have to love what Cliff gives you from the 5 spot. I’m glad he’s back.

The pace setters on offense will be Davis and Simpson . Ferenandes will have the ball but will spend more time off the ball opposite of Gavin on the floor. Those two will provide spacing and shooting, giving more space for Cliff to operate and room for Simpson and Davis to get to the rim. Our pace will be up because of the athleticism on the court 1-5. We don’t have the horses to play the defense we have been accustomed too.

Will still play tough Defense but it will not be our identity. We have become smaller in height and weight to lock ppl down .

Fernandes was a point guard at UMASS. I highly doubt Pike would bring in a 5’11’’ who has been a point guard to be a 2.

Id be VERY concerned if we play up tempo and Simpson is the PG. yes he can get better, but based on last year i have low confidence.

Hyatt has been incredible in the off-season. It's as if a light turned on for him in the summer.
Everyone is incredible in the offseason.,’

JR inman ran on the beach in California
Dean Reiber will ne our starting 4
Issa is going to break out off his shell
Cliff will knock down 3s

• Haha
Reactions: RUDivision
Fernandes was a point guard at UMASS. I highly doubt Pike would bring in a 5’11’’ who has been a point guard to be a 2.

Id be VERY concerned if we play up tempo and Simpson is the PG. yes he can get better, but based on last year i have low confidence.
Agreed he’s a point but will play a lot of time off the ball. Our two best shooters are Fernandes and Gavin so you need them to space the floor. Our two fastest guards with the ability to break a defense down and get to the rim are David and Simpson. Davis could struggle early like Simpson did but by February should settle in. Down the stretch and in the BTN Tournament and NIT Simpson was the best guard on the floor.
By no means am I saying Fernandes won’t handle the ball but the key to being a faster team is having multiple guys to get the ball and go.

I have confidence in Simpson showing improvement from last year but agree with you on Fernandez, he wasn't brought in to be a 2 guard.

Mulchahy was a 4 year player and won an ncaa tournament game here . He is a rutgers graduate/loyal son!
Not last year.A seemingly divisive force ,who left us in the lurch.Cam & Paul announce immediately after Cliff says he is staying?WTF?Good riddance NJs point guard.Glad they did not allow him to return.The team will be better without him.

Not last year.A seemingly divisive force ,who left us in the lurch.Cam & Paul announce immediately after Cliff says he is staying?WTF?Good riddance NJs point guard.Glad they did not allow him to return.The team will be better without him.
Don’t you care about a kid coming here and graduating . Being a loyal son ?

Of the top 10 scoring teams last season, only 4 made the NCAA tournament - Gonzaga, Arizona, Alabama, and Oral Roberts.

Gonzaga, the fastest team measured by points per game, was humiliated by relatively slow UConn, who ranked #31 on points per game.

Fast seems to be the word attached to the team now. Looking forward to Derek and Noah running the fast break. Not sure what Gavin brings to a fast break though.
But it is not just about the fast break, but being more aggressive in the half court and not using most of the shot clock.

Gavin can fill the lane or spot up for 3 on the break.

Ok.
Being Top 10 in scoring defense isn't some guarantee either.
Weren't we Top 10 in points against?

Not so loyal after all.
gave the program 4 years and graduated, then moved on with his life like many grads do.
Consider Washington a grad school , many who graduate Rutgers go on to other schools to further their education.
Ar you implying every RU graduate that continues their education isn't a loyal son or daughter ?

Reactions: Plum Street

Fernandes will have the ball most of the time. Davis will be the 4th guard, behind Fernandes, Gavin, Simpson.

gave the program 4 years and graduated, then moved on with his life like many grads do.
Consider Washington a grad school , many who graduate Rutgers go on to other schools to further their education.
Ar you implying every RU graduate that continues their education isn't a loyal son or daughter ?
To be fair, he did not transfer for academic reasons.

Reactions: rubaseball78
Fernandes will have the ball most of the time. Davis will be the 4th guard, behind Fernandes, Gavin, Simpson.
If Davis is as good as reports have been, I wonder if Williams ends up with a much lesser role than was initially expected. Those minutes have to come from somewhere. It would be beneficial long term for Davis to get minutes over him since he's a freshman.

Williams does bring some size though to guard position though with Noah Simpson and Davis all being on the smaller thinner side so he does bring something different to the table that's useful especially if he can effectively D up some bigger guards

To be fair, he did not transfer for academic reasons.
fair or not many RU grads move on to other Universities because they feel they will get a better opportunity there. Be it academics or athletics.
Many here are saying Paul's play doesn't fit the style Pike plans to use this year, but they bash Paul for leaving for a school his talents seem better suited dor.
Paul played his best and graduated, now like most grads moved on to a new phase in his life.
He gave his best for 4 years , graduated and moved on like most do after getting their degree.
Just because it probably was for athletic reasons , it also could have been him moving into the business world marketing his athletic ability ( for NIL earnings) like other Rutgers University graduates use their academic degree to market themselves ,when seeking employment , to corporations .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT