ADVERTISEMENT

Murphy money may be just in time

lakejj

Junior
Aug 17, 2006
RU and NJ must be aggressive in attaining high performance for RU athletics. Unfortunate reality is this is a possibility as mentioned by Dodd. At least he didn't use RU in the example.

Addition and subtraction?​

Remember the Big 12 almost going away last year? That was heartless, yes. Now, consider a similar scenario if, say, the SEC wanted to make room for the likes of Clemson or Miami

Would it simply eject a couple of underperforming schools? Would the Big Ten consider doing the same if it had more prominent replacements lined up?

One conference official reminded me that schools commit to a conference, not the other way around.

So, out with Vanderbilt and Missouri, in with Clemson and Miami? Out with Indiana and Purdue, in with Oregon and Washington?

The Big East booted Temple in 2001 for underperformance. Kansas State was on the verge of dropping football -- if the Big Eight didn't drop it first -- before Bill Snyder arrived in 1989.

It's a longshot, but judging by the events of Thursday, the scenario is not out of the question.

I'd say nothing is out of the question, but the Big Ten bylaws say 70% is required to expel a member:

Admitting into membership and suspending, expelling, or placing on probation any member of the Conference. These actions require a vote of not less than seventy percent (70%) of the Council (Editorialre vision 8/1/12).​
There are more schools in the Big Ten that are not kings of the sport than there are. With 16 members, 10 yes votes would not be enough to expel a school. I'm not clear if 11 or 12 yes votes would be required as that depends on whether the school in question itself gets to vote on the question.

RU and NJ must be aggressive in attaining high performance for RU athletics. Unfortunate reality is this is a possibility as mentioned by Dodd. At least he didn't use RU in the example.

Remember the Big 12 almost going away last year? That was heartless, yes. Now, consider a similar scenario if, say, the SEC wanted to make room for the likes of Clemson or Miami

Would it simply eject a couple of underperforming schools? Would the Big Ten consider doing the same if it had more prominent replacements lined up?

One conference official reminded me that schools commit to a conference, not the other way around.

So, out with Vanderbilt and Missouri, in with Clemson and Miami? Out with Indiana and Purdue, in with Oregon and Washington?

The Big East booted Temple in 2001 for underperformance. Kansas State was on the verge of dropping football -- if the Big Eight didn't drop it first -- before Bill Snyder arrived in 1989.

It's a longshot, but judging by the events of Thursday, the scenario is not out of the question.

His statement about the BE and Temple is factually inaccurate. Temple was not expelled for underperformance, but for failure to meet certain defined commitments.

I can't believe people give these idiots any credence.

His statement about the BE and Temple is factually inaccurate. Temple was not expelled for underperformance, but for failure to meet certain defined commitments.

That and the fact that they shared a stadium with the Phillies which meant that the BE could not schedule home games there until November. That was a major irritation to the BE officials.

Not sure I would go out with Indiana, but if you wanted to focus on markets, you could do away with Nebraska and Purdue perhaps. However, that is likely more speculation than anything else. Maybe the B1G goes to 20 or just holds at 16.

Don't be surprised if in a decade or decade and a half a new conference forms that is:

Ohio St
Michigan
Penn St
Wisconsin

Texas
Texas A&M
Alabama
Tennessee

Miami
Florida
LSU
Georgia

Clemson
Notre Dame
USC
UCLA

Advertisers would line up for that slate as the Premier League and everyone else Relegated.

I'd say nothing is out of the question, but the Big Ten bylaws say 70% is required to expel a member:

At least it's the schools and not their media. With the Star Ledger Rutgers would be toast.

Not sure I would go out with Indiana, but if you wanted to focus on markets, you could do away with Nebraska and Purdue perhaps. However, that is likely more speculation than anything else. Maybe the B1G goes to 20 or just holds at 16.

Don't be surprised if in a decade or decade and a half a new conference forms that is:

Ohio St
Michigan
Penn St
Wisconsin

Texas
Texas A&M
Alabama
Tennessee

Miami
Florida
LSU
Georgia

Clemson
Notre Dame
USC
UCLA

Advertisers would line up for that slate as the Premier League and everyone else Relegated.
Ummmm. Where are we ? Biggest media market in the Country by far.

Always love when negative Rutgers “fans” come out of the closet telling us we will not be included in further changes of expansion in the years ahead.Denigrate us all you want and yes we still need to step up but clowns like Dodds and some biased conference shills need to STFU. We’ll take our chances but the Blue Bloods of the conference still shitting on us is reason enough for our fan base to get onboard.

Reactions: Rutgers36 and ru66
Not sure why they would expel at this point if it’s just for stinking . Yes we stink and the good teams probably don’t mind having some wins built in

Ummmm. Where are we ? Biggest media market in the Country by far.
I think they would point to ND as bringing the NYC market. The point is that ESPN or someone else may look to form a league of bluebloods that they would pay top dollar for. Not saying it is going to happen, but I think we've all seen you can't sleep on any of this.

Nobody is getting thrown out of the Big Ten. Especially Rutgers. What a dumb idea.

I don't think the $100m from the state was a coincidence in timing, it was probably known to Hobbs that the expansion was coming. Knock Murphy all you want--and IMO he warrants a lot of it--but his support of Rutgers has been public and consistent. Lesniak got the ball rolling (as he pointed out to me in a convo I had with him--he's a petty funny dude), but my guess is the $100m show of good faith from the state wasn't coincidental. When it comes to RU athletics I'm grateful to Murphy. OTOH, Christie, for whom I had high hopes, was a dick.

Wonder when everyone else recognizes ever post is a troll...
Or they recognize it as giving a fact and thinking about it. There is nothing wrong with being honest, mentioning facts (yes we stink in big ten ) and then discussing . You are trolling

Reactions: lakejj
I would think proximity to millions more viewers than most other schools will always play a part.

Sure. But the relationships to other team's Demographic performance will change. For example Alabama with a small Demo will benefit from a nation of front runners streaming now available games. Less of the nationwide football fans universe are tuning into a middle of the road Rutgers streaming event.

Ohio St
Michigan
Penn St
Wisconsin

Texas
Texas A&M
Alabama
Tennessee

Miami
Florida
LSU
Georgia

Clemson
Notre Dame
USC
UCLA

I don't see it unless one of the conferences changes their entire approach. Either the B1G drops like-minded schools who care about academics and sports, or the SEC gets their sh*t together and forces schools to improve the academics of their members.

The other thing I think people are forgetting is the mixture of these schools would cause a rise out of a pissed-off politician whose school was left out. I can see this going to court, and even the NFL may think this league is closing in on its territory.

Miami? Really? 🤣

We are
I don't see it unless one of the conferences changes their entire approach. Either the B1G drops like-minded schools who care about academics and sports, or the SEC gets their sh*t together and forces schools to improve the academics of their members.

The other thing I think people are forgetting is the mixture of these schools would cause a rise out of a pissed-off politician whose school was left out. I can see this going to court, and even the NFL may think this league is closing in on its territory.

Miami? Really? 🤣
I'm talking about 10 to 15 years from now. Lots can, and will, change. Remember how a year ago the Big 12 was left for dead?

Also, the college football landscape has seen 16 team leagues in the past. Ultimately they withered away because the product on the field was diluted. What I note above would be something a network may look to drive in terms of market and product on the field. Miami has work to do regarding fan based, but they are infusing the program with talent fast once again.

We are

I'm talking about 10 to 15 years from now. Lots can, and will, change. Remember how a year ago the Big 12 was left for dead?

Also, the college football landscape has seen 16 team leagues in the past. Ultimately they withered away because the product on the field was diluted. What I note above would be something a network may look to drive in terms of market and product on the field. Miami has work to do regarding fan based, but they are infusing the program with talent fast once again.
Miami has always had talent, but the style and how they played the game have changed. They are a small private school that is struggling to keep up with the well-funded big schools.

Hopefully, Rutgers has the act together by then. It does appear that Rutgers is investing in facilities and coaches for all sports. The overall product is much better and more competitive. The state is taking a more active role in supporting Rutgers, and that's a big plus. IMO, Rutgers will be in a better position than Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, or Minnesota in 10 years.

Miami has always had talent, but the style and how they played the game have changed. They are a small private school that is struggling to keep up with the well-funded big schools.

Hopefully, Rutgers has the act together by then. It does appear that Rutgers is investing in facilities and coaches for all sports. The overall product is much better and more competitive. The state is taking a more active role in supporting Rutgers, and that's a big plus. IMO, Rutgers will be in a better position than Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, or Minnesota in 10 years.
I agree that it Rutgers can finally get its act together (thank goodness for Hobbs and Hollaway as we are trending in the right direction!) we could in 10 years emerge as the top choice given our geography. Icing would be to be in a better place than ND! 😁

The Big East booted Temple in 2001 for underperformance.
Absolutely not true.

Temple got booted for spending money from the Big East Football payout to build a new Basketball facility for their Atlantic 10 squad. While they couldn't guarantee a Saturday date in their rented home field for BE football. Then they hired a president that shut down football in a previous job who gave the Big East an ultimatum and they said "No" and pulled Temple's BE-FB ticket.

The win-loss record was way down on the list and had little to no impact.

Absolutely not true.

Temple got booted for spending money from the Big East Football payout to build a new Basketball facility for their Atlantic 10 squad. While they couldn't guarantee a Saturday date in their rented home field for BE football. Then they hired a president that shut down football in a previous job who gave the Big East an ultimatum and they said "No" and pulled Temple's BE-FB ticket.

The win-loss record was way down on the list and had little to no impact.
Under-performance here is not absolutely referring to win/loss records. More importantly as stated earlier, the institution's ability to comply with infrastructure commitments. Temple couldn't. RU/NJ need to just do it and leave no doubt. $100 million at this moment certainly helps. Let's not F it up.

Taxpayer $

Being in the BIG10 gives us time to right the ship. One of the things Rutgers is known for is the number of CEO's. Everyone who is financially able needs to donate. Do not waste time on depressing "what if's".

I get it, I joked about being a Rutgers fan and worrying about getting kick out in another thread. However even with our disadvantages, from NJ's 💰 problems to high taxes. We have enough advantages to stick!

Yes streaming has changed the paradigm, but the streaming services still want and need eyeballs! Location is still one of the big keys in business.

Am I wrong saying this and to be honest DGAF but wasn’t one of the reasons Temple got the boot was due to lack of attendance? I seem to recall there was a parameter in the Big East that had to be met. Clearly if I recall THAT it was a low hanging fruit reason and I assume more was going on behind the scenes. But I feel it was a factor.
Anyhow just recall reading stuff like that in The Courier News, hardly a reputable source. Not as if any NJ rag is.

Being in the BIG10 gives us time to right the ship. One of the things Rutgers is known for is the number of CEO's. Everyone who is financially able needs to donate. Do not waste time on depressing "what if's".

I get it, I joked about being a Rutgers fan and worrying about getting kick out in another thread. However even with our disadvantages, from NJ's 💰 problems to high taxes. We have enough advantages to stick!

Yes streaming has changed the paradigm, but the streaming services still want and need eyeballs! Location is still one of the big keys in business.

Hopefully. Just get the remaining infra-structure needs completed asap ad be done with the discussion

Reactions: TM94goRU

Hopefully. Just get the remaining infra-structure needs completed asap ad be done with the discussion
From your keyboard to God's ears!

Reactions: runrutgersrun
The reality is- we are doing everything required to be a B1G member athletically and are a perfect fit as a University.
I do t think a single School President in the B1G would even question our eligibility as a member.
the self loathing gets pretty pathetic

The reality is- we are doing everything required to be a B1G member athletically and are a perfect fit as a University.
I do t think a single School President in the B1G would even question our eligibility as a member.
the self loathing gets pretty pathetic
Exactly. Let's not confuse random internet whining with the informed opinions of those who matter.

I think they would point to ND as bringing the NYC market. The point is that ESPN or someone else may look to form a league of bluebloods that they would pay top dollar for. Not saying it is going to happen, but I think we've all seen you can't sleep on any of this.
The narrative that Notre Dame is still a NYC team is long over . All I have ever heard for years (on this board ) is St.John’s is a NYC ‘s team , UConn is NYC’s team . This isn’t the 30’s-40’s ,50’s where the population consisted of millions of new world Irish immigrants . It’s an entirely different mix of people and most have no allegiance to the “ Fighting Irish” in 2022. Rutgers is in the game now and to me as a Rutgers guy that’s what I’ll look forward to in my waning years of life.

In this scenario, ESPN would say that ND/PSU will carry NJ/NYC/ Philly while there’s enough alumni from all over who will carry NYC.

This is the time for Rutgers to start investing into their programs better by fundraising more, building facilities, recruiting, and ultimately winning or the ESPN or whoever running CFB will walk right by them.

Ohio St
Michigan
Penn St
Wisconsin

Texas
Texas A&M
Alabama
Tennessee

Miami
Florida
LSU
Georgia

Clemson
Notre Dame
USC
UCLA

Southern schools would have to play in the cold…. That’s just silly. ;-)

• Haha
Reactions: rucoe89
At least it's the schools and not their media. With the Star Ledger Rutgers would be toast.
The Star Ledger and their wesleyan reporters and some of the State Legislators look silly over the anti-Rutgers athletics comments. Murphy and whoever put the RU funding in that budget looks like a visionary/winner. It’s about time.

Even Politi seems giddy.

Reactions: lakejj
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT