ADVERTISEMENT

My First Post In Many Years

Fuddrutgers

Junior
Aug 30, 2008
There are 351 schools in D1:

- We're tied for 343rd in the country in 3-point percentage at 28%.
- We're 312th in the country in FG percentage at 41%.
- We're tied for 347th in FT percentage at 61%.

I had a bit of an epiphany after looking at these nauseating stats...

Pike is playing primarily with EJ's players. The few players he was able to bring in for this season were under-recruited and generally just leftovers, as it was so late in the recruiting timeline to build relationships with any kids that were actually worth a damn, as well as their parents. Some of those kids were probably being recruited by staffs with much more prestige for multiple years, there was no way Pike was going to overcome that hinderance.

We are now 13-15 and 2-13 in conference. We played well against a weak OOC schedule. We likely would have lost at least 1-2 (if not more) of those games last year, even with this year's roster, if EJ was still coach. I have no explanation for why we keep blowing leads so late in the game. We should have won at least several of the following games:

- @Iowa - were up by 3 with 4:17 left.
- Northwestern - up 3 at half.
- #15 Wisconsin - up 9 with 3:22 left (do not get me started on this ****ing game).
- Ohio State - tied with 1:19 left.
- @Northwestern - up 4 with 3:07 left.
- @Seton Hall - up 9 at halftime.

If you win 4 of those games, we're 17-11 right now with games against: Michigan, #22 Maryland, Illinois...win 1 or 2 of those and you finish 18-13 or 19-12 and you're left with the best season of Rutgers basketball since 2005-2006 and our first winning season since 2005-2006 as well.

I don't know about you, but that shit really, really ****ing pisses me off. Even though we lost all those games, it's self-evident that we are MUCH improved from not only last year, but many years past. Overall, Pikiell has done a fantastic job thus far. No, we didn't win many conference games, no we didn't have a winning season, but we were COMPETITIVE for the first time in a long time. No more blowouts by 30, 40, 50 points. We play good D, we rebound well. The problem is obvious though: WE CAN'T SHOOT FOR SHIT. And then I realized...Pikiell isn't necessarily liable for these losses. He can't make Corey shoot better than 27% from 3, he can't make Nigel shoot better than 36% from the field, he can't make the team shoot better than 61% from the line. Sure, he may be getting out-coached in these losses, but his team is putting him in such a hole that these games wouldn't even be coming down to the wire (we'd be winning them by several points) If we weren't in the bottom 1% of nearly every offensive statistic.

The fact that we are are even competitive, let alone leading late in games, despite our historically and laughably poor ability to but the ball in the basket, is astounding and speaks volumes for whatever the hell Pikiell is doing in coaching our team. Provided we don't lose any major contributors to transfer (and other than Gettys, obviously) then we will return next season a year older, more experienced, more cohesive as a team, overall just better basketball players. I think we win these close games next year. I think we possibly make the NIT next year (this is without knowing our schedule, or anything about our opponents for that matter...but still).

I haven't been following recruiting. I know we've whiffed on few high priority kids. I've watched all of Geo Baker's highlights on YouTube, and I can understand why some people aren't terribly enthused about him, but if he can hit an open ****ing 3 (and it certainly looks like he can) and can hang on D then he will have a role to play for us. I'm assuming the JUCO PG is just for depth purposes, we don't have a ton of depth in the back-court. I sat right next to Doucore at MSG and this kid isn't some under the radar scrub. He's rated #64 in the country by 247 and the #3 center in the country. Yes, the 2018 class is going to be massively important, but if Pikiell can somehow convince a few athletic kids that can put the ball in the ****ing basket and are willing to play tough D, to come to RU then I think we will finally attain the success that we have prayed for for so very long. Hopefully these recruits are taking note of how we are improving so rapidly in the first year of the new coach's tenure and that they would be the the final piece of the puzzle by committing.

I have faith, for the first time in a long time. I really do.

Last edited:
Glad to see you are enthused. If possible, get to the RAC on Wednesday. It has been a lot of fun there this year.

The thing with Geo Baker is that he can hit a shot off the dribble. Much different than other "shooters" that were recruited to the program.

Two completely different shots that should give fans faith in him.

Pike is playing primarily with EJ's players. The few players he was able to bring in for this season were under-recruited and generally just leftovers, as it was so late in the recruiting timeline to build relationships with any kids that were actually worth a damn, as well as their parents. Some of those kids were probably being recruited by staffs with much more prestige for multiple years, there was no way Pike was going to overcome that hinderance.

We are now 13-15 and 2-13 in conference. We played well against a weak OOC schedule. We likely would have lost at least 1-2 (if not more) of those games last year, even with this year's roster, if EJ was still coach. I have no explanation for why we keep blowing leads so late in the game. We should have won at least several of the following games:

- #15 Wisconsin - up 9 with 3:22 left (do not get me started on this ****ing game).

If you win 4 of those games, we're 17-11 right now with games against: Michigan, #22 Maryland, Illinois...win 1 or 2 of those and you finish 18-13 or 19-12 and you're left with the best season of Rutgers basketball since 2005-2006 and our first winning season since 2005-2006 as well.

I don't know about you, but that shit really, really ****ing pisses me off. Even though we lost all those games, it's self-evident that we are MUCH improved from not only last year, but many years past. Overall, Pikiell has done a fantastic job thus far. No, we didn't win many conference games, no we didn't have a winning season, but we were COMPETITIVE for the first time in a long time. No more blowouts by 30, 40, 50 points. We play good D, we rebound well. The problem is obvious though: WE CAN'T SHOOT FOR SHIT. And then I realized...Pikiell isn't necessarily liable for these losses. He can't make Corey shoot better than 27% from 3, he can't make Nigel shoot better than 36% from the field, he can't make the team shoot better than 61% from the line. Sure, he may be getting out-coached in these losses, but his team is putting him in such a hole that these games wouldn't even be coming down to the wire (we'd be winning them by several points) If we weren't in the bottom 1% of nearly every offensive statistic.

The fact that we are are even competitive, let alone leading late in games, despite our historically and laughably poor ability to but the ball in the basket, is astounding and speaks volumes for whatever the hell Pikiell is doing in coaching our team. Provided we don't lose any major contributors to transfer (and other than Getty's, obviously) then we will return next season a year older, more experienced, more cohesive as a team, overall just better basketball players. I think we win these close games next year. I think we possibly make the NIT next year (this is without knowing our schedule, or anything about our opponents for that matter...but still).

I haven't been following recruiting. I know we've whiffed on few high priority kids. I've watched all of Geo Baker's highlights on YouTube, and I can understand why some people aren't terribly enthused about him, but if he can hit an open ****ing 3 (and it certainly looks like he can) and can hang on D then he will have a role to play for us. I'm assuming the JUCO PG is just for depth purposes, we don't have a ton of depth in the front-court. I sat right next to Doucore at MSG and this kid isn't some under the radar scrub. He's rated #64 in the country by 247 and the #3 center in the country. Yes, the 2018 class is going to be massively important, but if Pikiell can somehow convince a few athletic kids that can put the ball in the ****ing basket and are willing to play tough D, to come to RU then I think we will finally attain the success that we have prayed for for so very long. Hopefully these recruits are taking note of how we are improving so rapidly in the first year of the new coach's tenure and that they would be the the final piece of the puzzle by committing.

****ing eh!!!

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
The list of games we were leading with such little time or could of closed out is infuriating haha. Thank you for the monday blood boiling!

Good post none the less!

Reactions: Local Shill
. . . . Provided we don't lose any major contributors to transfer (and other than Getty's, obviously) then we will return next season a year older, more experienced, more cohesive as a team, overall just better basketball players. I think we win these close games next year. . . .
I was with you until this. This roster won't win. There won't be a magical off season of vast improvements that vault this roster forward--though, as usual, there will be an off season's worth of posts here waxing more and more about vague off season improvements that are happening. It's simple. Better players are needed. And, with what appears to be a good staff, better players will give us the wins we want.

I was with you until this. This roster won't win. There won't be a magical off season of vast improvements that vault this roster forward--though, as usual, there will be an off season's worth of posts here waxing more and more about vague off season improvements that are happening. It's simple. Better players are needed. And, with what appears to be a good staff, better players will give us the wins we want.

Not sure I agree.

Corey has gotten measurably better. He is a two way player this year. I feel Coach P has gotten everything out of Freeman that a college basketball coach can get out of that kid. Never saw Gettys play at UNC-W, but from everything we heard this kid has gotten better. I also think Williams and Doorson are better.

Obviously Thiam and Eugene are the two kids you can see getting measurably better next year. And with a full year of offseason (versus the three months he had prior to this year) we may get some others taking a (another) step forward (Sa? Doorson again? Does Corey have another level?).

I'm not saying there is NCAA tournament talent on this team. Maybe not even NIT talent. But I'd be pretty surprised if we don't see a better team on the floor next year than we are seeing this year.

the team may be better but will it be better than the other Big 10 schools better...I do not think we are looking at a giant leap but it could be expected that RU could win around 6 league games..thats a goal to shoot for. More than that? a chance but not likely if you look at the standings this year. Consider Illinois who has some talent on the team is sitting at 5-9 maybe finishes 7-11 and they have the #11 class in the country coming in and tops in the Big 10. PSU might finish 7-11 and they just brought in the top Big 10 class last year. It is tough to move up in this league. RU's class for next year is rated 14th in league....that is sobering reality. I think alot of the players we have are capped in their potential. Obviously guys like Eugene and Thiam have the most upside but we also lose Gettys and have no current replacement that could make up for him..and to me Diallo/Doorson have shown nothing that they can step into that starting role. Baker can help but how much do you really expect with Johnson/Sanders/new PG/Williams also jostling for playing time

the schedule figures to be at least a little tougher OOC but if this team can go 10-3 OOC/6-12 in league then I think 16-15 is a reasonable goal to set but I would discourage thinking they can do much more than that.

Reactions: soundcrib
Next year the team will be better but if you look at the B1G rosters, I think all of our opponents will be better next year as well. And to Bac's point, the OOC will have to be better just because it was as easy as you could possibly make it this year.

I'm not optimistic a better team is going to translate to a better record. But one thing that is clear is we have an awesome coaching staff. We need to keep them together and get recruits to buy in.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
I did not mention before but one positive for next year is that there are going to be alot of seniors and juniors on the team (well we will see how the roster shakes out). Its something that we have not had in the program. On the flip side though I question leadership of this team..who is the team leader right now. I think you see this is an issue in the close of games this year as no one is there to settle everyone down. You would hope Sanders can grow in that maturity but I am not so sure. Williams does not appear to be the vocal leader we need.

And let us be honest if team shot 60% from the line we would probably have at least two more wins.

Better recruiting equates to more winning.Status quo recruiting equates to more losing and more fan disappointment.Its time for roster changes now ,not later.

Not sure I agree.

Corey has gotten measurably better. He is a two way player this year. I feel Coach P has gotten everything out of Freeman that a college basketball coach can get out of that kid. Never saw Gettys play at UNC-W, but from everything we heard this kid has gotten better. I also think Williams and Doorson are better.. . . .
Let's say this is true. All that supposed improvement has netted us 2 B1G wins. We need better players.

I did not mention before but one positive for next year is that there are going to be alot of seniors and juniors on the team (well we will see how the roster shakes out). Its something that we have not had in the program. On the flip side though I question leadership of this team..who is the team leader right now. I think you see this is an issue in the close of games this year as no one is there to settle everyone down. You would hope Sanders can grow in that maturity but I am not so sure. Williams does not appear to be the vocal leader we need.

I am trying to figure out how you can question the leadership.

I would say one of the reasons this team is in so many games right to the end is the exceptional leadership.

Our coach selected Freeman and Williams as captains for that leadership.

Freeman is an undersized forward who gets far more than his share of rebounds and put-backs because of his effort and positioning.

No one works harder or smarter than Williams. He is still struggling to close out games, but he is also one of the main reasons we are still competing down the stretch.

The message is being heard loud and clear by their teammates. If you want our team to succeed and you want to be one of the guys in the game at the end, then you better approach the game in the same manner as your captains do.

Both of the captains have their weaknesses which they are trying to work through, but their attitudes and effort are there for everyone to see.

That is one of the reasons I think our head coach is going to be highly successful. He knows how he wants his players to approach the game and he knows how to pick out the leaders who the rest of the squad will respect.

I am trying to figure out how you can question the leadership.

I would say one of the reasons this team is in so many games right to the end is the exceptional leadership.

Our coach selected Freeman and Williams as captains for that leadership.

Freeman is an undersized forward who gets far more than his share of rebounds and put-backs because of his effort and positioning.

No one works harder or smarter than Williams. He is still struggling to close out games, but he is also one of the main reasons we are still competing down the stretch.

The message is being heard loud and clear by their teammates. If you want our team to succeed and you want to be one of the guys in the game at the end, then you better approach the game in the same manner as your captains do.

Both of the captains have their weaknesses which they are trying to work through, but their attitudes and effort are there for everyone to see.

That is one of the reasons I think our head coach is going to be highly successful. He knows how he wants his players to approach the game and he knows how to pick out the leaders who the rest of the squad will respect.
Failure at the end of games to me seems to be a talent and leadership issue...this team isnt composed down the stretch at all...I never see vocal leaders or rallying of the troops...no one questions how hard they play and how much they buy in but leadership isnt a participation award either...there have been very few true leaders at RU..perhaps Webb was the last

I think the coaches CAN make them shoot better from 3, 2 and the FT line. I just think they need more time. Better players will, of course, help. But Pike got them actually playing something that looks like basketball... and the effort is clearly there.. on D.. on the boards.

Hope abounds.

Hopefully a more mature roster gets us a couple more wins and maybe even a signature win but I cant see a vast improvement with the lose of Gettys which in my opinion will be huge. As has been pointed out by Bac in this thread and me previously Doorson and Diallo look to be nothing more than big bodies capable of giving some fouls. People keep thinking a couple of ok recruits who will be depth guards are somehow going to vault us forward. Every team in the BIG has a Geo Baker or better coming in this recruiting class.

Reactions: soundcrib
I know the rest of the league is tough and apparently recruiting at a higher level, which isn't totally unexpected. But when was the last time we had multiple upperclassmen leading the team? That's been a topic of discussion on here for years.

I listen to the games here at 7:00 AM. Right now this group of kids have lost so many games in their careers that they need to become acclimated to winning and being competitive again. Right now when I listen to the games and we're ahead by a couple in the second half I'm thinking "Ok What's going to happen?" and this thought might be creeping into the kids heads too. As a 50+ year Jets fan I'm familiar with that feeling of dread that hangs over every game. Parcells was the only guy who could shake "the same old Jets" mentality.
I think Pike is in the process of doing that here.

I think the other factor will be the motivation to work even harder in the off-season. As the team matures the taste of those close losses will help provide some fuel to off season workouts and improvements.There wont be any question or delay with player buy-in. And the coaches will have seasons worth of tape on the kids playing in the system to tailor workouts and off-season improvement as well.The best chance for the record to improve next year is to keep the core of the rotation intact for next year and add a few pieces where openings occur (graduation and inevitable transfer or 2)

I listen to the games here at 7:00 AM. Right now this group of kids have lost so many games in their careers that they need to become acclimated to winning and being competitive again. Right now when I listen to the games and we're ahead by a couple in the second half I'm thinking "Ok What's going to happen?" and this thought might be creeping into the kids heads too. As a 50+ year Jets fan I'm familiar with that feeling of dread that hangs over every game. Parcells was the only guy who could shake "the same old Jets" mentality. I think Pike is in the process of doing that here.
As a 30-year Jets season-ticket holder and lifelong Rutgers fan... I hear ya, brother!

It's not easy being green (and scarlet).

Reactions: colbert17

The fact that we are are even competitive, let alone leading late in games, despite our historically and laughably poor ability to but the ball in the basket, is astounding and speaks volumes for whatever the hell Pikiell is doing in coaching our team. Provided we don't lose any major contributors to transfer (and other than Gettys, obviously) then we will return next season a year older, more experienced, more cohesive as a team, overall just better basketball players. I think we win these close games next year. I think we possibly make the NIT next year (this is without knowing our schedule, or anything about our opponents for that matter...but still).

I haven't been following recruiting. I know we've whiffed on few high priority kids. I've watched all of Geo Baker's highlights on YouTube, and I can understand why some people aren't terribly enthused about him, but if he can hit an open ****ing 3 (and it certainly looks like he can) and can hang on D then he will have a role to play for us. I'm assuming the JUCO PG is just for depth purposes, we don't have a ton of depth in the back-court. I sat right next to Doucore at MSG and this kid isn't some under the radar scrub. He's rated #64 in the country by 247 and the #3 center in the country. Yes, the 2018 class is going to be massively important, but if Pikiell can somehow convince a few athletic kids that can put the ball in the ****ing basket and are willing to play tough D, to come to RU then I think we will finally attain the success that we have prayed for for so very long. Hopefully these recruits are taking note of how we are improving so rapidly in the first year of the new coach's tenure and that they would be the the final piece of the puzzle by committing.

Are you really Phil Sellers?

I also wanted to mention one more thing:

I don't follow the boards anymore, but I was told that many have written off Omoruyi as a scrub. Despite his very dismal statistics this season, that kid is going to be a HELL of a player for us. The Draymond Green comparisons are spot on: he can create, pass, drive and he is a big boy. He's going to be incredibly versatile for us moving forward. I've seen more than enough flashes of talent to tell me that he's going to be a very productive player at some point within his next three seasons here.

Reactions: RU_kidding_me
And poor shooting leads to fouls.
Poor shooting leads to breakout O by the opposition
It is amazing we have been in these games with the horrendous
shooting numbers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT