ADVERTISEMENT

My Issues with Gleeson

Scarlet_Monster

All American
Gold Member
Jan 8, 2011
I honestly don't understand what the goal is Gleeson is trying to accomplish with what he has done here.

I gave him a pass in Year 1 and 2 because you need to the find the players to utilize your scheme, but in Year 3 you should have the bulk of the pieces needed to somewhat formalize your vision, but each year the offense has regressed further and further.

Rutgers opened the checkbook to get Gleeson here, and was perhaps the splashiest hire we've had since Fridge was OC for one season under Flood. More and more I'm under the belief that Gleeson never was the savant we were promised and he just happened to be surrounded by others who did the bulk of the heavy lifting. By all accounts the Princeton HC is/was an innovative offensive mind, and we know that Gundy is no offensive slouch of his own.

My biggest issues are the following:

The ridiculous amount of time it takes to get a play call in. When Gleeson was hired we were promised fast pace offense where we would be snapping the ball with 20-25 seconds on the play clock to keep the defense uncomfortable, instead we're lucky to break the huddle with 15 seconds. Is this by design to give our defense as much time as possible to rest? Does Gleeson get cute with the play calling names and something simple like the Langan keeper has a name like Zulu Alpha Slash 23 Power Cannon Blast that takes Gleeson 5 seconds to say, then the QB another 5 seconds to read back? Is Gleeson so indecisive that he takes forever to make a decision? His play sheet can't be that long because I swear it looks like we run maybe 10-15 plays each game.

The issue with the slow call play calling comes into focus with the rotating QBs. You see drives where it's a Langan option play, then the QB Dive, then out comes Johnny because despite being a scholarship QB at one point he cannot complete a pass so in comes Simon on 3rd and 7 in what the defense knows is a sure fire passing play. So in comes Simon, the defense knows it has to be a pass, and he's breaking the huddle with 15 seconds left, coming in cold off the sideline, and he has to read the defense and attempt to figure out what might happen and maybe make any sort of pre-snap read, communicate it the team and get the play off. I'm sorry you could have Aaron Rodgers on this team, and you'd still be setting him up for failure asking him to do all of these with no rhythm, and minimal time on the play clock.

Are all of our players on a "pitch count" I swear it feels like it's Pee-Wee Football at times where everyone has to play despite the fact one player could be routinely making great plays, but it's like nope Sam Brown V you might be breaking off 4-7 yard runs each touch, but now we need to put Johnny in because it's his turn to run his two plays.

Which brings me to the Johnny Football Package. Let's be honest, it legitimately worked against a Power 5 Team once, and that was the first time it was utilized against Purdue, and it worked so well because he had a FB lead the way on most of the plays. The Langan Special works against smaller teams that they can out physical, but against true P5 Teams it has its limitations. When you run the same play over and over, and make no attempt to do anything different with it, you are bound to fail. Not saying when Langan gets under center he needs to gunsling it 40 yards down field, but there is no reason why Mr. Utility should be incapable of the following; a simple shovel pass to a WR who is motioning across the field on what might look like a jet sweep, a pop pass after pulling it in from the HB on the option keeper to a player 5 yards down field, a simple dig or hitch route. When you don't even attempt to do anything different with this look is idiocy, any DC worth their salt will see Johnny come in, put 10 in the box and keep a high safety out there and just DARE RUTGERS TO DO SOMETHING OTHER THAN HAVE JOHNNY RUN INTO THE ASS OF HIS CENTER.

The inability to find and recruit a QB who can make routine plays with ease. It's ridiculous to believe/expect every QB on the roster to make EVERY THROW and be able to READ EVERY DEFENSE, but it seems like our QBs at times are attempting to throw the ball with the wrong arm. A Power 5 Scholarship QB should be able to complete high % plays with routine accuracy. I get that Greg loathes turnovers, every coach does, but it seems the stranglehold on being conservative is doing more harm than good. There are ways to field an offense that protects the ball while taking chances when available. The issue is at the moment we don't have a QB who can do those things. Look at how often Nebraska dialed up screen plays that routinely when for decent yardage against our blitzes, the same would work for us, except for the following; Noah doesn't have the zip to get the ball out to the flat in a timely manner, and Simon doesn't have the accuracy to get it there without sailing the pass over the head of the intended target making them have to stop from catching the ball in stride.

People bashed Gavin saying he can't read a defense, but Simon is no better, he's a one read and done QB at this time. I'm not expecting Peyton Manning back there being able to go through 5 progressions each snap, but his head doesn't swivel at all, and he usually locks onto the first read. Now, there are ways around this, if Gleeson utilizes more Flood Concept route combos, where you overload one side of the field with players running short/mid/deep routes Evan can pretty much lock onto half the field and make the read as to whom the defense decides to cover best. When you give him 3 options in the same vicinity you are increasing the chances of something better happening than the one read he usually attempts.

It really does feel like they (Greg/Sean) put all their eggs in the Gavin basket with how the team has handled their QB recruiting and what not. Noah at his best wouldn't take over games and outright win them, but would limit bonehead plays. Simon let's be honest doesn't look like he would be a back up on a MAC Squad. Gavin has the physical tools but needs practice and experience, and the idiotic choice to flip flop between Evan and Gavin every drive did more harm than good. They were better off giving each QB a half or a quarter of action at a time. When you are flip flopping QBs every drive it ruins the flow of the game. Just think about it, no two QBs have the same timing, mechanics, etc. You are asking 5 OL to be in rhythm with 2 different QBs every other drive, your asking WRs to be able to gel with the timing, touch and accuracy of two different QBs as well.

Honestly if the offense doesn't flip the switch like it did in 07, and show massive improvement, you have to move on from Gleeson and actually find an OC who has been the sole reason for success along their coaching stops.

In the world of hypotheticals and blank check thinking, go get the Coastal Carolina HC pay him 1.25 million to be the OC which is nearly 500K more than he is making as their HC. The offense Coastal running would be electric here with a healthy Gavin, especially getting the ball to Aron and Youngblood in space.

Last edited:
Well said. What's even worse is that (like you also mentioned) we actually play THREE quarterbacks.

In the world of hypotheticals and blank check thinking, go get the Coastal Carolina HC pay him 1.25 million to be the OC which is nearly 500K more than he is making as their HC. The offense Coastal running would be electric here with a healthy Gavin, especially getting the ball to Aron and Youngblood in space.
Chadwell's next stop, whenever that may be, is likely HC somewhere higher as long as he keeps up his performance after McCall leaves. GT is even a possibility this year. On top of which, I've heard on CFB podcasts by sports media that his wife supposedly doesn't want to leave the south.

Last edited:
He has one D-1 level QB athlete who’s 18, hurt and no one in front of him to learn from.
The rest of the entire QB room are D-3 players.
Tough job, success probability is nill
Which is on Greg and Sean collectively. Not saying Snyder or Flacco would've been the savior but they might've been a better option.

I don't fault Gavin for his slow progression so far, this should realistically be his first year on campus.

I honestly don't understand what the goal is Gleeson is trying to accomplish with what he has done here.

I gave him a pass in Year 1 and 2 because you need to the find the players to utilize your scheme, but in Year 3 you should have the bulk of the pieces needed to somewhat formalize your vision, but each year the offense has regressed further and further.

Rutgers opened the checkbook to get Gleeson here, and was perhaps the splashiest hire we've had since Fridge was OC for one season under Flood. More and more I'm under the belief that Gleeson never was the savant we were promised and he just happened to be surrounded by others who did the bulk of the heavy lifting. By all accounts the Princeton HC is/was an innovative offensive mind, and we know that Gundy is no offensive slouch of his own.

The ridiculous amount of time it takes to get a play call in. When Gleeson was hired we were promised fast pace offense where we would be snapping the ball with 20-25 seconds on the play clock to keep the defense uncomfortable, instead we're lucky to break the huddle with 15 seconds. Is this by design to give our defense as much time as possible to rest? Does Gleeson get cute with the play calling names and something simple like the Langan keeper has a name like Zulu Alpha Slash 23 Power Cannon Blast that takes Gleeson 5 seconds to say, then the QB another 5 seconds to read back? Is Gleeson so indecisive that he takes forever to make a decision? His play sheet can't be that long because I swear it looks like we run maybe 10-15 plays each game.

The issue with the slow call play calling comes into focus with the rotating QBs. You see drives where it's a Langan option play, then the QB Dive, then out comes Johnny because despite being a scholarship QB at one point he cannot complete a pass so in comes Simon on 3rd and 7 in what the defense knows is a sure fire passing play. So in comes Simon, the defense knows it has to be a pass, and he's breaking the huddle with 15 seconds left, coming in cold off the sideline, and he has to read the defense and attempt to figure out what might happen and maybe make any sort of pre-snap read, communicate it the team and get the play off. I'm sorry you could have Aaron Rodgers on this team, and you'd still be setting him up for failure asking him to do all of these with no rhythm, and minimal time on the play clock.

Are all of our players on a "pitch count" I swear it feels like it's Pee-Wee Football at times where everyone has to play despite the fact one player could be routinely making great plays, but it's like nope Sam Brown V you might be breaking off 4-7 yard runs each touch, but now we need to put Johnny in because it's his turn to run his two plays.

Which brings me to the Johnny Football Package. Let's be honest, it legitimately worked against a Power 5 Team once, and that was the first time it was utilized against Purdue, and it worked so well because he had a FB lead the way on most of the plays. The Langan Special works against smaller teams that they can out physical, but against true P5 Teams it has its limitations. When you run the same play over and over, and make no attempt to do anything different with it, you are bound to fail. Not saying when Langan gets under center he needs to gunsling it 40 yards down field, but there is no reason why Mr. Utility should be incapable of the following; a simple shovel pass to a WR who is motioning across the field on what might look like a jet sweep, a pop pass after pulling it in from the HB on the option keeper to a player 5 yards down field, a simple dig or hitch route. When you don't even attempt to do anything different with this look is idiocy, any DC worth their salt will see Johnny come in, put 10 in the box and keep a high safety out there and just DARE RUTGERS TO DO SOMETHING OTHER THAN HAVE JOHNNY RUN INTO THE ASS OF HIS CENTER.

The inability to find and recruit a QB who can make routine plays with ease. It's ridiculous to believe/expect every QB on the roster to make EVERY THROW and be able to READ EVERY DEFENSE, but it seems like our QBs at times are attempting to throw the ball with the wrong arm. A Power 5 Scholarship QB should be able to complete high % plays with routine accuracy. I get that Greg loathes turnovers, every coach does, but it seems the stranglehold on being conservative is doing more harm than good. There are ways to field an offense that protects the ball while taking chances when available. The issue is at the moment we don't have a QB who can do those things. Look at how often Nebraska dialed up screen plays that routinely when for decent yardage against our blitzes, the same would work for us, except for the following; Noah doesn't have the zip to get the ball out to the flat in a timely manner, and Simon doesn't have the accuracy to get it there without sailing the pass over the head of the intended target making them have to stop from catching the ball in stride.

People bashed Gavin saying he can't read a defense, but Simon is no better, he's a one read and done QB at this time. I'm not expecting Peyton Manning back there being able to go through 5 progressions each snap, but his head doesn't swivel at all, and he usually locks onto the first read. Now, there are ways around this, if Gleeson utilizes more Flood Concept route combos, where you overload one side of the field with players running short/mid/deep routes Evan can pretty much lock onto half the field and make the read as to whom the defense decides to cover best. When you give him 3 options in the same vicinity you are increasing the chances of something better happening than the one read he usually attempts.

It really does feel like they (Greg/Sean) put all their eggs in the Gavin basket with how the team has handled their QB recruiting and what not. Noah at his best wouldn't take over games and outright win them, but would limit bonehead plays. Simon let's be honest doesn't look like he would be a back up on a MAC Squad. Gavin has the physical tools but needs practice and experience, and the idiotic choice to flip flop between Evan and Gavin every drive did more harm than good. They were better off giving each QB a half or a quarter of action at a time. When you are flip flopping QBs every drive it ruins the flow of the game. Just think about it, no two QBs have the same timing, mechanics, etc. You are asking 5 OL to be in rhythm with 2 different QBs every other drive, your asking WRs to be able to gel with the timing, touch and accuracy of two different QBs as well.

Honestly if the offense doesn't flip the switch like it did in 07, and show massive improvement, you have to move on from Gleeson and actually find an OC who has been the sole reason for success along their coaching stops.

Great post. Wholeheartedly agree.

Well done OP. Gleeson was a fraud from day 1. There was no new scheme to be introduced. He sold Schiano and Hobbs a sack of sh*t. The guy looks like he's scared of his own shadow. Dynamic ,he's not. Smart, he's clearly not. He really has no feel for the game. His personnel substitutions are mind boggling and play calling is antediluvian (well, actually, in his case post-Flood 😉).What value has he added to the sideline and what the hell has he been doing in practice? The offense has regressed and it's not all about talent. He must go.

Reactions: WasatRutgers

In the world of hypotheticals and blank check thinking, go get the Coastal Carolina HC pay him 1.25 million to be the OC which is nearly 500K more than he is making as their HC. The offense Coastal running would be electric here with a healthy Gavin, especially getting the ball to Aron and
Think we just found our new OC.

• Haha
Reactions: fatsam98
Yeah, that's the solution. Hire a fan to run the offense. Look, I'm not sure we have even had a chance to see what Gleeson can do. He's had an atrocious line and now he's got two injured quarterbacks and a third who's inexperienced. That said, Schiano's frustration level with the lack of offensive success is through the roof. I've seen him practically having a coronary yelling at Sean on the sidelines on more than one occasion. Whether it proves to be a good thing or not will be seen, but I think you will be getting your wish come the offseason.

Yeah, that's the solution. Hire a fan to run the offense. Look, I'm not sure we have even had a chance to see what Gleeson can do. He's had an atrocious line and now he's got two injured quarterbacks and a third who's inexperienced. That said, Schiano's frustration level with the lack of offensive success is through the roof. I've seen him practically having a coronary yelling at Sean on the sidelines on more than one occasion. Whether it proves to be a good thing or not will be seen, but I think you will be getting your wish come the offseason.
I almost want to agree with you. But I’ve seen absolutely NO signs of any positive contribution to the offense since SG came here. No rhyme or reason to the offense, no semblance of organization, no game plan and his in- game management skills are atrocious. I’m not so sure that a sudden upgrade in talent on the OL or at QB would matter much. He has become a liability.

All it takes is one conversation from HC Schiano to say:
Stop rotating QBs
Stop the Langan package

He's the HC and much more experienced than the OC.
It's not like it's game 1 and HC Schiano caught off guard. This started the first series of the year and has continued for 5 games.

HC Schiano is as much to blame for these things as OC Gleeson.

All it takes is one conversation from HC Schiano to say:
Stop rotating QBs
Stop the Langan package

He's the HC and much more experienced than the OC.
It's not like it's game 1 and HC Schiano caught off guard. This started the first series of the year and has continued for 5 games.

HC Schiano is as much to blame for these things as OC Gleeson.
The Langan package could work if they mixed up the play calls. Letting him throw once in a while, and handing it off on a jet sweep would neutralize teams from stuffing the middle.

Reactions: wheezer
Gleeson was supposed to bring an offense that was built to get his athletes the ball in space. That has not happened. There have been multiple opportunities to get the ball to playmakers. Last night the WR screen was there for the taking. Check downs to backs in the flats were wide open. This is not a talent issue and it can't be blamed entirely on the OL. I get if these calls or reads are not made on a one game basis, but this is systemic and has been happening the last 3 seasons. This is bad play-calling.

Reactions: RU Husky
ADVERTISEMENT