ADVERTISEMENT

My theory on why the shooting was so poor last night, the APC

• Thread starter anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
  • Start date
A

anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy

I play alot of basketball, albeit pickup and mens league obviously. But whenever I pull up to a new gym it takes me a little bit of time, a game or so to find my shot and get used to the rims and backdrop. Did our guys get their shoot around in yesterday morning at the APC or the RAC? Our guys have been practicing and shooting non stop in the APC for the past number of months, a tight gym with a shallow backdrop.

does anyone know if we still practice at the RAC at all? If not I think we should practice at the RAC, not necessarily every day but it should happen regularly.

Reactions: JQRU91 and Scangg
Oh and they were shooting at the RAC. Ogundele posted an IG story yesterday afternoon and the team was at the RAC

We don't have good shooters. Period. Shooters can improve but don't expect them to improve a lot. For example, a player like Mathis will never be a good shooter. His ball has ZERO rotation, his mechanics are off etc. That stuff is not easy to correct at this point.

I play alot of basketball, albeit pickup and mens league obviously. But whenever I pull up to a new gym it takes me a little bit of time, a game or so to find my shot and get used to the rims and backdrop. Did our guys get their shoot around in yesterday morning at the APC or the RAC? Our guys have been practicing and shooting non stop in the APC for the past number of months, a tight gym with a shallow backdrop.

does anyone know if we still practice at the RAC at all? If not I think we should practice at the RAC, not necessarily every day but it should happen regularly.
Okay , but Bryant didn't seem having a problem making 3 pointers and foul shots.Fans keep stretching for reasons why there was poor shooting .

Last edited:
Harper has to become one of the top wings in the conference for us to be any good,
he should be improving every day.
Mathis has to run the other side and go to the hoop, his ball rotation will never allow him to be a good shooter

Shooting is consistently poor because the shooters are bad. RU, with few exceptions over the years, has had bad shooters.

Last edited:
Reactions: FrankZ
Would be interesting if you could project different backdrops on the white walls behind the baskets in the APC to simulate the look of not only the RAC, but also different arenas we'll visit during the year.

Reactions: GeoRingoes
We don't have good shooters. Period. Shooters can improve but don't expect them to improve a lot. For example, a player like Mathis will never be a good shooter. His ball has ZERO rotation, his mechanics are off etc. That stuff is not easy to correct at this point.
It can be corrected with proper instruction and repitition but who knows what instruction they get

I’ve shot a lot of baskets in my day too - this isn’t being fixed overnight.

Under your theory, no matter the answer, this team will be absolutely horrible shooting on the road. Oh well.

What does that theory say about number 11 & 5 on Bryant? They didnt seem bothered by shooting at an unfamiliar basket.

We need accountability. That’s why I love that heads were down in the locker room after a win. They recognize that performance is unacceptable.

Reactions: goru7
Harper has to become one of the top wings in the conference for us to be any good,
he should be improving every day.
Mathis has to run the other side and go to the hoop, his ball rotation will never allow him to be a good shooter

Or perhaps the other way around. The flatness of Harper's shot frankly scares me. Maybe it should be Harper running to other side with his strong inside game, rebounding and going to the hoop.

Shooting is consistently poor because the shooters are bad. RU, with few exceptions over the years, has had bad shooters.
Similar to a bowler who rarely misses makeable spares, but has trouble throwing strikes. However, they can change balls to improve. In BB it's all you.

The verdict is in on this theory: :flush:

I love it for recruiting but the idea of us being pampered like this definitely seems to go against our teams identity of the last few years

How is it that mid-majors don't seem to have problems recruiting guys who can shoot but we can't seem to find them? Shooting is one of the most basic and fundamental things in basketball, and we can't get players who can do it?

Three point shooting and a QB making throws are two things you can't improve much by the time you graduate high school. Either you can shoot or you cant - either you can throw the football or you can't. You can certainly improve as a player in other areas but these two are not those.

Having said that this team has much better shooters then you saw on Thursday.

Reactions: hiwater
Three point shooting and a QB making throws are two things you can't improve much by the time you graduate high school. Either you can shoot or you cant - either you can throw the football or you can't. You can certainly improve as a player in other areas but these two are not those.

Having said that this team has much better shooters then you saw on Thursday.
Tell that to Kawhi Leonard and LeBron James.

How is it that mid-majors don't seem to have problems recruiting guys who can shoot but we can't seem to find them? Shooting is one of the most basic and fundamental things in basketball, and we can't get players who can do it?

Honestly starting to think it's a Rutgers issue.

Between football, mens basketball and womens basketball there is almost a need to be "anti high scoring".

Maybe it's the legacy "northeast" mindset?
Have to prove to everyone we are "tough and old school".
Winning by being flashy and outscoring opponents is viewed as weak and gimmicky.

Honestly starting to think it's a Rutgers issue.

Between football, mens basketball and womens basketball there is almost a need to be "anti high scoring".

Maybe it's the legacy "northeast" mindset?
Have to prove to everyone we are "tough and old school".
Winning by being flashy and outscoring opponents is viewed as weak and gimmicky.
You may be on to something here??

Wrong - I saw Lebron play in high school and believe me he could shoot. Of course as a professional he has continued to improve but he didn't go from a HS kid who couldn't to perhaps the best player ever.
I saw him put up 50 in the Prime Time shootout in Trenton while he was in HS. He was a great shooter then, but his game back then was always trying to involve his teammates by getting them the ball in the best position to shoot.

He was told to put on a scoring show because he was being matched up against an All American forward that was going to go to UCLA. He ate this 6'10" forwards lunch on both sides of the ball.

He always has been a great shooter. That gets overlooked a lot because he is puts so much into involving the rest of the team. He is not a black hole when the ball gets passed to him.

Utah beat Miss Valley St last night 143 - 49. The coach said they just had a great night when everything came together.
This gives us something to shoot for, plenty of baskets made.

I dunno. Much ado about nothing. This the pretty much the same team that won at Iowa. Just a bad night. Could be rust. Could be lack of getting up for a unexciting opponent. Could be over confidence. Reading too many press clippings.

Sometimes bad teams shoot great.

Sometimes good teams shoot terribly.

Just be glad it happened in a win and not a close loss in a winnable conference game.

Wrong - I saw Lebron play in high school and believe me he could shoot. Of course as a professional he has continued to improve but he didn't go from a HS kid who couldn't to perhaps the best player ever.
Kawhi Leonard is on that path. James is a much better shooter now. He's improved markedly in that area since his rookie year. Leonard could not shoot in college. He became a great shooter in the NBA. Not coincidentally, the Spurs, who drafted Leonard, have employed a shooting coach for years.

Tell that to Kawhi Leonard and LeBron James.

It's always funny when someone thinks they are making a good point but they are actually destroying their own argument.

You listed:

Lebron - arguably the #2 player of all time, 1st overall pick out of HS

Kawhi - arguably the #1 player in the NBA currently

Sight lines at the rac are very shooter friendly so would have to say no it was not a factor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT