ADVERTISEMENT

My Thoughts on the Wisconsin Game

gef21

All Conference
Jan 25, 2005
My overall thoughts on the game are as follows;

1. The game plan almost worked. We were a few plays, on both sides of the ball, from winning the game. We missed two ints and 3 sacks on defense and we were 2 throws away from scoring 10-14 points. If any combination of those things happen we most likely win the game.

2. GW is still young, but hes doing some good things. Every QB has 8-10 chances to change a game. Right now GW is making 3-4 of those plays, and missing the others. He has to be better. He was two bad throws from his winning the game.

3. Our defense is one more LB away from being really good. I am not going to rag on a kid but we have a LB who really struggles in a lot of areas of the game.

4. Our TEs can not get open in the middle of the field very well. We had to use CD to clear out LBs because the TEs can not do it. JL has some nice plays but he just a kid that sells out. We try and run routes for the TEs but they are not demanding any space.

5. Our WRs are getting better, and we are getting shots. GW has to hit jackson for the TD.

6. Our interior lines got beat up this weekend on both sides of the ball.

7. The majority of people know nothing about football or coaching.

This team is close but GW has to be better.

Curious your thoughts on what seemed to be a higher amount of holding in this game vs others. From someone with no coaching background, do you feel the DLine was put at a disadvantage with the way the game was being called?

Curious your thoughts on what seemed to be a higher amount of holding in this game vs others. From someone with no coaching background, do you feel the DLine was put at a disadvantage with the way the game was being called?
I learned a long time ago to never care about refs. You can not leave it up to them.

That being said I saw some stuff that could have been thrown. None were on the plays we should have made and missed.

This question wasn’t for me - but I’d say yes mainly because our coaches prioritized cleaning up the holds on our end this off-season. We were unable to adapt and turn the switch on that the other way.

I guess what I’m saying is the game was called consistently loose on both ends but we kept it clean (and that’s not necessarily a bad thing looking forward as we wouldn’t want to get back in the habit of giving up those 10 yards). But Wisconsin’s D was able to shut us down.

Understand though that our run game was really terrible. Buffalo and Georgia Southern both grinded out more yards on the ground than us. That’s bad.

1. The game plan almost worked. We were a few plays, on both sides of the ball, from winning the game. We missed two ints and 3 sacks on defense and we were 2 throws away from scoring 10-14 points. If any combination of those things happen we most likely win the game.

2. GW is still young, but hes doing some good things. Every QB has 8-10 chances to change a game. Right now GW is making 3-4 of those plays, and missing the others. He has to be better. He was two bad throws from his winning the game.

3. Our defense is one more LB away from being really good. I am not going to rag on a kid but we have a LB who really struggles in a lot of areas of the game.

4. Our TEs can not get open in the middle of the field very well. We had to use CD to clear out LBs because the TEs can not do it. JL has some nice plays but he just a kid that sells out. We try and run routes for the TEs but they are not demanding any space.

5. Our WRs are getting better, and we are getting shots. GW has to hit jackson for the TD.

Excellent points all.

In point 7, you are correct. And for even those that know a little or a lot, there is room for debate, like the pick 6 discussion in the camera man thread. Is it coaching and play calling or bad play by the players or a single player? Or is it simply a better play by the other team? There is a lot of room for debate. One thing for sure, all of the Sunday or Monday morning quarterbacks will have the "right" answer, and they will undoubtedly blame their players or coach and not credit the opposing team.

Case in point, saw a lot of Wisconsin fans on social media saying that Wisconsin sucked and it was an ugly win.

In point 7, you are correct. And for even those that know a little or a lot, there is room for debate, like the pick 6 discussion in the camera man thread. Is it coaching and play calling or bad play by the players or a single player? Or is it simply a better play by the other team? There is a lot of room for debate. One thing for sure, all of the Sunday or Monday morning quarterbacks will have the "right" answer, and they will undoubtedly blame their players or coach and not credit the opposing team.

Case in point, saw a lot of Wisconsin fans on social media saying that Wisconsin sucked and it was an ugly win.
Agree with your analysis . Like others I think Gavin needs to be given an opportunity to run and still think we need to run some to the outside. If Wimsatt hits 4-5 more of his passes we are even closer to a win. The reality is Wisconsin has been consistently good for years. Fickle is a very good coach . His staff is very good and that alone is worth 10 points on game day.

Reactions: Knight Shift

To me I see it as a B play call. Id love to see another level option, but the defense did a tremendous job selling man. In his presnap read he read man zero to that side of the field, which is the right throw. But it was pattern read zone with outside in responsibility. Even with the CBs first step it looks like his presnap was correct. But then it is not.

Totally. The bottom line though is the run game has to be better. Schiano said so in the post game presser. The RBs need to give us something. They are better than what we delivered Saturday. Other opportunities open up when you can run the football to move the chains. I don’t understand all the blame on the game plan. It wasn’t unreasonable to expect a better run effort. Heck - every other opponent Wisconsin played had more success running the ball so why should we have come out with aggressive firing on the road and not run rush plays early in the game? Total Monday morning quarterbacking to blame a vanilla play book. We opened things up when the run was shut down and started moving the ball better. Just didn’t execute enough plays.

Reactions: shields
Totally. The bottom line though is the run game has to be better. Schiano said so in the post game presser. The RBs need to give us something. They are better than what we delivered Saturday. Other opportunities open up when you can run the football to move the chains. I don’t understand all the blame on the game plan. It wasn’t unreasonable to expect a better run effort. Heck - every other opponent Wisconsin played had more success running the ball so why should we have come out with aggressive firing on the road and not run rush plays early in the game? Total Monday morning quarterbacking to blame a vanilla play book. We opened things up when the run was shut down and started moving the ball better. Just didn’t execute enough plays.
Our O line still has a ways to go and perhaps it is the main reason for limited outside runs . I don’t believe the issue is from our running backs. Blocking by TE’s and WR ‘s is much better but we were attempting to improve in so many offensive areas it sometimes takes a little longer. I hope so. We will see this week. Just WIN!!!!!!?

To me I see it as a B play call. Id love to see another level option, but the defense did a tremendous job selling man. In his presnap read he read man zero to that side of the field, which is the right throw. But it was pattern read zone with outside in responsibility. Even with the CBs first step it looks like his presnap was correct. But then it is not.
Schiano, and B!G Final drive and the CB all alluded to this : the D made a great play, my only criticism would be that GW floated the ball which allowed the CB to get under it. Watch at the 1:25 mark.

Got most of what you said there, but on first read, I was like:

Confused Season 3 GIF by The Simpsons
Confused Married With Children GIF

And just remember, Al Bundy is a football expert- 4 TDs Polk High School!!!

But in all seriousness, some have said (and we really don't know do we?) that Gavin is purportedly not allowed to go to option 2. Maybe if he was "allowed," he would not have thrown the ball. If he was allowed to go to option 2, well then, he made a mistake, and they happen.

And I find it funny when posters here (not you) shout down those "who never played football at any level." Like anything else, with careful study and years of watching, listening to experts, etc., one can opine on the concepts and play calls. We need to look no further than the head coach of University of Arizona, NJ's Jedd Fisch, who never played a down of football.

I'm still learning the more complicated aspects, but posters like you and other sources have taught me a lot. I'm no Jed Fisch, nor, will I play Jed Fisch on TV, but he is an example of someone who never played came to understand concepts quite well. My understanding is Mike Leach did not play in college, and I don't think he played much if at all in high school. But he was an OK coach. Basketball, however, will remain a foreign language to me that I may never learn. Thanks for your input. You are awesome.

"Fisch never played football at any level, which makes him a rarity in the coaching profession. But what he lacked in playing experience, Fisch made up for in other ways."

"I get it," Fisch said. "I know I won't be the most popular guy on some days and I will be on others. Everybody will have an opinion on how we do. But if we prepare and do the best we can, I'm very proud of that. I'm just thrilled to death to have the opportunity to do it. It's a dream job."

Got most of what you said there, but on first read, I was like:

Confused Season 3 GIF by The Simpsons
Confused Married With Children GIF

And just remember, Al Bundy is a football expert- 4 TDs Polk High School!!!

But in all seriousness, some have said (and we really don't know do we?) that Gavin is purportedly not allowed to go to option 2. Maybe if he was "allowed," he would not have thrown the ball. If he was allowed to go to option 2, well then, he made a mistake, and they happen.

And I find it funny when posters here (not you) shout down those "who never played football at any level." Like anything else, with careful study and years of watching, listening to experts, etc., one can opine on the concepts and play calls. We need to look no further than the head coach of University of Arizona, NJ's Jedd Fisch, who never played a down of football.

I'm still learning the more complicated aspects, but posters like you and other sources have taught me a lot. I'm no Jed Fisch, nor, will I play Jed Fisch on TV, but he is an example of someone who never played came to understand concepts quite well. My understanding is Mike Leach did not play in college, and I don't think he played much if at all in high school. But he was an OK coach. Basketball, however, will remain a foreign language to me that I may never learn. Thanks for your input. You are awesome.

"Fisch never played football at any level, which makes him a rarity in the coaching profession. But what he lacked in playing experience, Fisch made up for in other ways."

"I get it," Fisch said. "I know I won't be the most popular guy on some days and I will be on others. Everybody will have an opinion on how we do. But if we prepare and do the best we can, I'm very proud of that. I'm just thrilled to death to have the opportunity to do it. It's a dream job."

I now coach a sport that I never played or watched until I started coaching and I won 2 state titles for it.

Coaching a sport is about understanding the concepts at a scheme level, and coaching young people is something 99% of people have zero understanding about it.

Some of the best players I have ever met make terrible coaches, and some of the worst players I have ever met make amazing coaches.

My big thing is people played to certain level of success at their position, but rarely were in a position to understand the layer levels of the entire thing. I do not enjoy many conversations I have with people about football, or sport in general. I also have an obsessive personality and will learn everything I can when I do not know something. This is why I had to walk away from coaching college sports.

I learned a long time ago to never care about refs. You can not leave it up to them.

That being said I saw some stuff that could have been thrown. None were on the plays we should have made and missed.
there was a blatant PI by us that was never called.
Refs dont win or lose games.

2. Our defense is one more LB away from being really good. I am not going to rag on a kid but we have a LB who really struggles in a lot of areas of the game.
Who is the LB you are referring to ? I think all the LBs having been playing real good so far.

2. Our defense is one more LB away from being really good. I am not going to rag on a kid but we have a LB who really struggles in a lot of areas of the game.
Who is the LB you are referring to ? I think all the LBs having been playing real good so far.
I am going to guess the one that gets sucked inside and loses leverage, loses his man in coverage and seems to be one hole away from his assignment. You have roughly a 33% chance on being correct. 17

Last edited:
At this point in the year I think jennings has not had a great year. His hips are very stiff, he doesnt contact WRs/TEs well, he gets caught out of gap alignment on his run fit a decent amount. He gets kicked out a ton because of his hips, he plays very high and stiff. He works super hard, but he has missed a lot of opportunities to make plays.

Reactions: ChasRC69 and Kbee3

Was less interested in any given call than I was in the overall feel for what was/wasn't allowed during the game. Different crews have different things that they call more tightly or loosely, or different "points of emphasis" they are asked to look out for. I agree you can't "leave it up to" the refs - but if the refs aren't generally calling a specific penalty very often, are players/coaches likely to try to exploit that to get an edge? Or do they just keep playing the game the same way regardless?

As an outsider, it felt as though they were "letting them play" in the trenches. Is that something that coaches notice and adjust their play calls for, to better fit the style of play that's being allowed? Or is that something that players individually respond to, attempting to "sell" penalties more/less or adjusting their own play to adapt to a tighter/looser set of calls?

I've heard officiating compared to the weather, in that you have no control over it and just have to deal with it - but coaches/players adjust to different weather conditions, do they also adjust to different officiating conditions?

I now coach a sport that I never played or watched until I started coaching and I won 2 state titles for it.

Coaching a sport is about understanding the concepts at a scheme level, and coaching young people is something 99% of people have zero understanding about it.

Some of the best players I have ever met make terrible coaches, and some of the worst players I have ever met make amazing coaches.

My big thing is people played to certain level of success at their position, but rarely were in a position to understand the layer levels of the entire thing. I do not enjoy many conversations I have with people about football, or sport in general. I also have an obsessive personality and will learn everything I can when I do not know something. This is why I had to walk away from coaching college sports.
Funny that you mentioned obsessive personality. In the Jedd Fisch article I linked:

"It's just a fun little reminder that, if you're going to be a coach at any level, it's something you have to have an obsession for," said Fisch, the University of Miami's 35-year-old offensive coordinator.

Fisch is certainly among the obsessed."

Yes, can't think off of the top of my head of a successful head coach who has demonstrated extended success as a head coach. Jim Harbaugh is the only name that immediately comes to mind. Deion Sanders may be another one, but his story is still being written. The early signs are there though.

But the same principle applies to management of any organization. For example, in science/engineering, often the most technically smart people are not equipped to be managers. The mediocre technical people can generally demonstrate a better propensity to manage. That often can breed resentment from the "smarter" people who feel that the "dumb manager" is only there because he/she kisses ass better. On the other hand, have witnessed several instances of super smart people being promoted to management and there being mutinies and/or people jumping ship.

Back to coaching, I think it may be hard for a successful player who may have innate athletic ability or other traits to get that to translate to his/her players or to communicate that effectively.

Reactions: gef21

Gef what are you seeing from Sutton? If he seems effective my hope is Needham could shift inside. But these are hopes so curious what you think.

Funny that you mentioned obsessive personality. In the Jedd Fisch article I linked:

"It's just a fun little reminder that, if you're going to be a coach at any level, it's something you have to have an obsession for," said Fisch, the University of Miami's 35-year-old offensive coordinator.

Fisch is certainly among the obsessed."

Yes, can't think off of the top of my head of a successful head coach who has demonstrated extended success as a head coach. Jim Harbaugh is the only name that immediately comes to mind. Deion Sanders may be another one, but his story is still being written. The early signs are there though.

But the same principle applies to management of any organization. For example, in science/engineering, often the most technically smart people are not equipped to be managers. The mediocre technical people can generally demonstrate a better propensity to manage. That often can breed resentment from the "smarter" people who feel that the "dumb manager" is only there because he/she kisses ass better. On the other hand, have witnessed several instances of super smart people being promoted to management and there being mutinies and/or people jumping ship.

Back to coaching, I think it may be hard for a successful player who may have innate athletic ability or other traits to get that to translate to his/her players or to communicate that effectively.
I have worked with people that tell kids to "just do this" when most people have no ability to do that.

Or have no understanding of why a kid can not just "make the play".

Gef what are you seeing from Sutton? If he seems effective my hope is Needham could shift inside. But these are hopes so curious what you think.
I actually think as a whole our OL has done a pretty good job in pass protection. We struggle at the tackles with true speed rushers at times, but I have seen improvement of our kick step in getting depth. Interior wise we just do not always get a push that we need, but teams are daring us to throw, so the OL is at a disadvantage.

I actually think as a whole our OL has done a pretty good job in pass protection. We struggle at the tackles with true speed rushers at times, but I have seen improvement of our kick step in getting depth. Interior wise we just do not always get a push that we need, but teams are daring us to throw, so the OL is at a disadvantage.
I'm surprised we don't try to run more towards the left side of the line which is much bigger than the right side. I think overall our OL is way outperforming their talent level. Seem to be very well coached. Imagine what we can do with NFL talent at the OLine with Flaherty as the coach.

Is the issue the RBs or the OL?

I have worked with people that tell kids to "just do this" when most people have no ability to do that.

Or have no understanding of why a kid can not just "make the play".
Just had this discussion today at my fire station with an ex-Chief. Officers are expected to "excel at everything" to become officers. Rank and file firefighters, not so much. Some of us love going inside fires, some of us don't. Some of the interior firefighters don't like working on roofs or ladders. Some of our officers have a tendency to try to force firefighters into performing tasks that they may not be comfortable with and may not do well at. Similar to your point, I have heard officers say, "that's easy, why can't he/she do it?" 🤷‍♂️
Was watching the final drive, and Jake Butt (excellent analyst) was talking about how for Michigan, things really clicked when Michigan swapped positions of two guys on the OL. I don't remember the particulars, but sometimes small changes make a big difference. Sometimes you gotta move a guy out and sub in another because of larger issues.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
At this point in the year I think jennings has not had a great year. His hips are very stiff, he doesnt contact WRs/TEs well, he gets caught out of gap alignment on his run fit a decent amount. He gets kicked out a ton because of his hips, he plays very high and stiff. He works super hard, but he has missed a lot of opportunities to make plays.
Those of us who watch Rutgers games knew which LB you meant. The other two have been very good this season. Jennings not so much. Based on his performance last year it's kinda unexpected.

Thanks for sharing this and breaking it down.

The GW pick six is a great discussion topic. And shows you how complex and difficult the position is. And these game changing plays are scheme and chess.
Even after having seen the video playback several times , it’s impossible to tell they’re in zone. That’s where you use pre snap motion to show you or at least give more clues.

Awesome post. Do us all a favor and please don't stop with your insghtful comments here.
Much appreciated.

Reactions: patk89
Those of us who watch Rutgers games knew which LB you meant. The other two have been very good this season. Jennings not so much. Based on his performance last year it's kinda unexpected.
He looks so stiff to me this year in his hips. I have no idea if its injury, or what is going on.

He looks so stiff to me this year in his hips. I have no idea if its injury, or what is going on.
Surprised. Had high expectations for Jennings this year.
Will Walker get time at LB based on his injury issue being resolved?

Loved your observations. I thought Gavin had his worst most inaccurate game compared to Michigan where I thought he played well and the defense let us down.
Regarding your #1 point , I assumed you meant the Pick 6 and the miss to Dremel down the sideline at the 5. I presume the 3 other plays were letting Mordecai out , 1 time running by 3 guys who looked like they were in a position for the sack, and the others were Mordecai getting around the edge in the RPO where Jennings lost contain. The tipped balls where we almost got picks. I have been saying we are getting closer and in fact thought the defense played well enough to win. But to me the playcall by Kirk that led to the Pick6 should never have been called especially how we got inside the 5 with Gavin’s legs and not to give Gavin a pass/ run option. Do you agree ?
Regarding # 2, Gavin had his worst game with accuracy, preventing a second half comeback. But thought the conservative first 5 drives cost us as well. Did you think Kirk took too long to run the slant , wide receiver and running back drag routes until the last drive before the half ?
Regarding # 3 , Jennings is not playing up to what was expected. He is losing contain and not attacking the gaps . Think he has to brought inside and let Toure or Powell play the edge since they both can play sideline to sideline better. What do you think ?
Regarding # 4 , I see no tight end seam routes. The pass to Johnny was great but why did Kirk not come back to it all day ? I think Kirk has to open the middle of the field for Gavin to throw to ? Do you agree ?
Regarding # 5 , I think they are running better routes and they all block downfield real well on running plays. Think the issue with the sideline long passes going out of bounds is due to wr’s not running inside the numbers more and instead being too close to sideline as compared to Gavin missing , since he is being taught to throw it close to sideline to avoid picks. Do you agree ?
Regarding # 6, thought the offensive line against both Michigan and Wisconsin held up really well in pass protection giving Gavin enough time. So I think Kirk should start open the middle of the field to let Gavin go through his progressions . What do you think ?
Kirk seemed to abandon the run and also not mix run and pass when we hit a few passes in a row ( throwing 8 straight times against Michigan on the critical drive before the Pick 6. ) Did you find it curious he did it against Michigan and Wisconsin but mixed run and pass well in all other games ?
Regarding # 7 , as someone who has been trying to discuss some things with guys on this board , I definitely agree.

Thanks for the insights.

Gef21,

The plan doesn't leave any wiggle room, which is part of the reason GS 2.0 hasn't beaten a winning team (GS 1.0 had very few wins against winning teams). It's like the staff assumes we'll have 100% execution.

We cant forget that Wisconsin ran the clock out to end the game. We couldn't stop them. Dixon made 2 really great plays to break up big plays. I don't recall if Wisconsin scored or not after those pass breakups. What if Wisconsin hit those?

People were doing the same thing after Michigan. If we did this, this and this we could have won. Michigan also ran it down our throat to finish the game and could have scored if they tried to.

We weren't beating either team with our offense. We were only up 13 to 7 against temple at the beginning of the 4th quarter. They weren't beating us but Temple fans were probably doing the same thing after our game.

Gef21,

The plan doesn't leave any wiggle room, which is part of the reason GS 2.0 hasn't beaten a winning team (GS 1.0 had very few wins against winning teams). It's like the staff assumes we'll have 100% execution.

We cant forget that Wisconsin ran the clock out to end the game. We couldn't stop them. Dixon made 2 really great plays to break up big plays. I don't recall if Wisconsin scored or not after those pass breakups. What if Wisconsin hit those?

People were doing the same thing after Michigan. If we did this, this and this we could have won. Michigan also ran it down our throat to finish the game and could have scored if they tried to.

We weren't beating either team with our offense. We were only up 13 to 7 against temple at the beginning of the 4th quarter. They weren't beating us but Temple fans were probably doing the same thing after our game.
Very true and with regard to #6 on the list, if that’s still a problem we are not close. Which brings to mind, what happened to that heralded OL class from a couple of years ago? Shouldn’t we be seeing some of those guys play or crack the 2 deep at this point?

Gef21,

I think you bring up a good point about “iffing” away our mistakes. I might have a tendency to do that sometimes too. We can’t only if away our mistakes and not if away the opponents mistakes that we take advantage of as well. Wisconsin also fumbled a ball near the endzone too. Same thing applies for other games, like some last year.

The game is played by humans. We will make mistakes at times and so will our opponents. It’s a given. You just take it as it is.

Gef
In regard to The linebacker you are referring to… why not work another player into his position?
Are his struggles better than what a situational replacement could bring?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT