ADVERTISEMENT

My Thoughts on the Wisconsin Game

Good thoughts Gef. Agree with most everything but didn’t see a couple. Probably because I didn’t look for them.

7. 100%. Even in this thread and even some who agree with you. I can’t read this crap any more lol.

6. I said this right after the game. We lost in this area and this is what both teams were trying to establish. Not sure I agree with beat up, especially on D. They were running that trap play and sending a lot of big bodies at us. I saw guys filling gaps but not penetrating and wonder if the traps caused confusion and took away some of our aggressive play on D. They were on the field a lot in the first half.

Loved your observations. I thought Gavin had his worst most inaccurate game compared to Michigan where I thought he played well and the defense let us down.
Regarding your #1 point , I assumed you meant the Pick 6 and the miss to Dremel down the sideline at the 5. I presume the 3 other plays were letting Mordecai out , 1 time running by 3 guys who looked like they were in a position for the sack, and the others were Mordecai getting around the edge in the RPO where Jennings lost contain. The tipped balls where we almost got picks. I have been saying we are getting closer and in fact thought the defense played well enough to win. But to me the playcall by Kirk that led to the Pick6 should never have been called especially how we got inside the 5 with Gavin’s legs and not to give Gavin a pass/ run option. Do you agree ?
Regarding # 2, Gavin had his worst game with accuracy, preventing a second half comeback. But thought the conservative first 5 drives cost us as well. Did you think Kirk took too long to run the slant , wide receiver and running back drag routes until the last drive before the half ?
Regarding # 3 , Jennings is not playing up to what was expected. He is losing contain and not attacking the gaps . Think he has to brought inside and let Toure or Powell play the edge since they both can play sideline to sideline better. What do you think ?
Regarding # 4 , I see no tight end seam routes. The pass to Johnny was great but why did Kirk not come back to it all day ? I think Kirk has to open the middle of the field for Gavin to throw to ? Do you agree ?
Regarding # 5 , I think they are running better routes and they all block downfield real well on running plays. Think the issue with the sideline long passes going out of bounds is due to wr’s not running inside the numbers more and instead being too close to sideline as compared to Gavin missing , since he is being taught to throw it close to sideline to avoid picks. Do you agree ?
Regarding # 6, thought the offensive line against both Michigan and Wisconsin held up really well in pass protection giving Gavin enough time. So I think Kirk should start open the middle of the field to let Gavin go through his progressions . What do you think ?
Kirk seemed to abandon the run and also not mix run and pass when we hit a few passes in a row ( throwing 8 straight times against Michigan on the critical drive before the Pick 6. ) Did you find it curious he did it against Michigan and Wisconsin but mixed run and pass well in all other games ?
Regarding # 7 , as someone who has been trying to discuss some things with guys on this board , I definitely agree.

Thanks for the insights.
Awesome post. Sorry for slow response. I had a ton of film work to do.

#1 you are right it was missing CD. And in regards to the play call, the backside look was a high low look that was open. GW made a presnap read that was wrong dnd did not realize it until it was too late (and it was not a great throw). I personally would have liked to see an RPO or even a levels roll to that side with the option of running, but I do not hate the scheme as a whole.

#2 I do not know their system well enough to make that call. It might be that the WRs have choice routes on options and they were taking away inside plays since we do not show a ton of success vertically to the outside, so they were giving us outside release.

#3 toure is a rush LB and not necesarily a true every down contain guy. Powell needs to be our inside guy playing cloudy clear. Jennings needs to fill better, contact better, and see routes better.

#4 I think the majority of our TE routes are choice routes, used as check downs. I do not think we have the ability to get vertical consistently to be honest.

#5 I think our WRs have improved a ton, but teams are bumping us hard and giving us outside release because we do not consistently hit them. Our WRs are pretty good in traffic and teams see that, so they are taking away the inside. We really need a second vertical WR badly to make it on the field. Strong is getting there but he gets bumped easily on vertical routes.

#6 our pass pro is good but we are leaving RBs and TEs in a lot to help. I think we do a great job in the middle, but teams are taking that away. We HAVE to hit the vertical outside release game in the B10. If we had all of our WRs I believe we would be.

#7 We couldnt run the ball because we got crushed inside. They sold out to take away our outside game and crept in to stop the run. We have to hit the outside vertical game.

Gef
In regard to The linebacker you are referring to… why not work another player into his position?
Are his struggles better than what a situational replacement could bring?
I would assume if there was someone better they would be playing.

Reactions: Kbee3 and rutgersal
Very true and with regard to #6 on the list, if that’s still a problem we are not close. Which brings to mind, what happened to that heralded OL class from a couple of years ago? Shouldn’t we be seeing some of those guys play or crack the 2 deep at this point?
OL and DL take 2-3 years to develop unless you are getting absolute animals.

Reactions: Kbee3
Gef21,

The plan doesn't leave any wiggle room, which is part of the reason GS 2.0 hasn't beaten a winning team (GS 1.0 had very few wins against winning teams). It's like the staff assumes we'll have 100% execution.

We cant forget that Wisconsin ran the clock out to end the game. We couldn't stop them. Dixon made 2 really great plays to break up big plays. I don't recall if Wisconsin scored or not after those pass breakups. What if Wisconsin hit those?

People were doing the same thing after Michigan. If we did this, this and this we could have won. Michigan also ran it down our throat to finish the game and could have scored if they tried to.

We weren't beating either team with our offense. We were only up 13 to 7 against temple at the beginning of the 4th quarter. They weren't beating us but Temple fans were probably doing the same thing after our game.
There is no wiggle room when you are a mid level team. We do not have the players to make mistakes. We made mistakes.

Awesome post. Sorry for slow response. I had a ton of film work to do.

#1 you are right it was missing CD. And in regards to the play call, the backside look was a high low look that was open. GW made a presnap read that was wrong dnd did not realize it until it was too late (and it was not a great throw). I personally would have liked to see an RPO or even a levels roll to that side with the option of running, but I do not hate the scheme as a whole.

#2 I do not know their system well enough to make that call. It might be that the WRs have choice routes on options and they were taking away inside plays since we do not show a ton of success vertically to the outside, so they were giving us outside release.

#3 toure is a rush LB and not necesarily a true every down contain guy. Powell needs to be our inside guy playing cloudy clear. Jennings needs to fill better, contact better, and see routes better.

#4 I think the majority of our TE routes are choice routes, used as check downs. I do not think we have the ability to get vertical consistently to be honest.

#5 I think our WRs have improved a ton, but teams are bumping us hard and giving us outside release because we do not consistently hit them. Our WRs are pretty good in traffic and teams see that, so they are taking away the inside. We really need a second vertical WR badly to make it on the field. Strong is getting there but he gets bumped easily on vertical routes.

#6 our pass pro is good but we are leaving RBs and TEs in a lot to help. I think we do a great job in the middle, but teams are taking that away. We HAVE to hit the vertical outside release game in the B10. If we had all of our WRs I believe we would be.

#7 We couldnt run the ball because we got crushed inside. They sold out to take away our outside game and crept in to stop the run. We have to hit the outside vertical game.
Brantley would have been the 2nd vertical receiver. *sigh*

On #1, imo, the pick 6 play was actually the perfect play call. Even if Wimsatt made a bad pre snap read, he still had a chance to make the play, because you have to trust that arguably your best receiver, would beat the DB 1-1.

But Wimsatt made twin sins on this play.
Wimsatt stared down his receiver, allowing time for the DB to react, and made a really bad throw that only the DB had a chance at, since he threw the ball towards the WRs back shoulder, putting the WR at a severe disadvantage.

Good throw, such as leading the WR with the ball, would have resulted in a touchdown. Good playcall, bad execution. thoughts?

Brantley would have been the 2nd vertical receiver. *sigh*

On #1, imo, the pick 6 play was actually the perfect play call. Even if Wimsatt made a bad pre snap read, he still had a chance to make the play, because you have to trust that arguably your best receiver, would beat the DB 1-1.

But Wimsatt made twin sins on this play.
Wimsatt stared down his receiver, allowing time for the DB to react, and made a really bad throw that only the DB had a chance at, since he threw the ball towards the WRs back shoulder, putting the WR at a severe disadvantage.

Good throw, such as leading the WR with the ball, would have resulted in a touchdown. Good playcall, bad execution. thoughts?
I think, based on the pattern read outside in coverage it is a really really hard throw. If it is not perfect it gets picked or CD gets absolutely demolished. The open look is backside that give a hitch/in to the #1 WR and a corner route to the #2. That needs to be look at CD, see the coverage, turn and put ball to the back corner immediately.

GW got the presnap read wrong and predetermined his throw and then didnt read again. He read man bracket coverage, and even the CBs first step looks like that is the correct call, but its not. Pattern read is an awesome defensive pass scheme.

I would assume if there was someone better they would be playing.
I am not talking about someone being over all better.
I’m talking about someone else who’s strong suit may be in the area he’s struggling in and use him situationally.

I think you bring up a good point about “iffing” away our mistakes. I might have a tendency to do that sometimes too. We can’t only if away our mistakes and not if away the opponents mistakes that we take advantage of as well. Wisconsin also fumbled a ball near the endzone too. Same thing applies for other games, like some last year.

The game is played by humans. We will make mistakes at times and so will our opponents. It’s a given. You just take it as it is.

The majority of this board, including myself, has a tendency to if, if, if after a loss. That's how I spend my Saturday nights. Lol.

I am not talking about someone being over all better.
I’m talking about someone else who’s strong suit may be in the area he’s struggling in and use him situationally.
Hes struggling at gap filling, containing, and contacting routes. Hes pretty good in the triangle, but even then he gets washed at times because he plays high. I would not be shocked if we find out he is hurt somewhere in his lower body.

Hes struggling at gap filling, containing, and contacting routes. Hes pretty good in the triangle, but even then he gets washed at times because he plays high. I would not be shocked if we find out he is hurt somewhere in his lower body.
i've thought for a while now that he must be hurt. Wasn't he RU's defensive MVP last season ?
Powell is the man though.
BTW, a telling fact regarding possible replacements at LB is that on the depth chart there is only one other guy listed besides the three starters...Walker. There are five guys listed at the RB position.
Also, we are missing Long. Half the season is gone. IMO he was our best WR.

i've thought for a while now that he must be hurt. Wasn't he RU's defensive MVP last season ?
Powell is the man though.
BTW, a telling fact regarding possible replacements at LB is that on the depth chart there is only one other guy listed besides the three starters...Walker. There are five guys listed at the RB position.
Also, we are missing Long. Half the season is gone. IMO he was our best WR.
I think they are going to hold long to only play in 4 games.

I think, based on the pattern read outside in coverage it is a really really hard throw. If it is not perfect it gets picked or CD gets absolutely demolished. The open look is backside that give a hitch/in to the #1 WR and a corner route to the #2. That needs to be look at CD, see the coverage, turn and put ball to the back corner immediately.

GW got the presnap read wrong and predetermined his throw and then didnt read again. He read man bracket coverage, and even the CBs first step looks like that is the correct call, but its not. Pattern read is an awesome defensive pass scheme.
Yes, Gavin got it wrong but the Db made a great play. He stayed in his area and did not follow outside receiver inside , which is obviously what Gavin thought he would do, and then only sees CD by himself and doesn’t even see DB until ball is already released. Plus CD wasn’t in the end zone but at the 3 which is definitely a broken route . Plus that is a long ass throw which is another reason it was a terrible play call.
Why they didn’t run it in or run/ pass option on 2nd or 3rd down was the mistake. Kirk has to do better. 2 critical play calls and Gavin’s only 2 interceptions to go for Pick 6’s and change the outcome of the game.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
Yes, Gavin got it wrong but the Db made a great play. He stayed in his area and did not follow outside receiver inside , which is obviously what Gavin thought he would do, and then only sees CD by himself and doesn’t even see DB until ball is already released. Plus CD wasn’t in the end zone but at the 3 which is definitely a broken route . Plus that is a long ass throw which is another reason it was a terrible play call.
Why they didn’t run it in or run/ pass option on 2nd or 3rd down was the mistake. Kirk has to do better. 2 critical play calls and Gavin’s only 2 interceptions to go for Pick 6’s and change the outcome of the game.
The front side of the play didnt work, the backside did. It was not a terrible play call, GW did not do his job to go to the backside. If they were in press man the backside call is taken away and the front is open.

Didn't Daniel Jones make the same tragic mistake in the Seattle game...and Devon Witherspoon took it 97 yards for a TD for the Seahawks ?

Reactions: goru7
The front side of the play didnt work, the backside did. It was not a terrible play call, GW did not do his job to go to the backside. If they were in press man the backside call is taken away and the front is open.
You prefer that long pass over giving Gavin a RPO or run pass option or going 2 tights plus a wide receiver in Motion to block for a quick handoff to Kyle or whatever running back was in the game . That is why I say it was a bad play call considering how they got down there and having Wisconsin on their heels

Didn't Daniel Jones make the same tragic mistake in the Seattle game...and Devon Witherspoon took it 97 yards for a TD for the Seahawks ?
Yes but worse because Jones have another option and Wallet running to the back of the end zone and where he threw it was crowded and had to throw a needle into a haystack

At this point.. GW is not accurate enough.. consistently.. to throw into tight coverage. Many teams can throw into single coverage or to big TEs over smaller DBs or slower LBS but that.. like back-shoulder throws and hitting RBs on swing passes where they don't have to stop for the ball.. all that requires accuracy and timing that GW does not yet have. He HAS made those throws.. but has failed to make them as well.

So Gef's point of hitting half or less of those opportunities to change the game.. that fits. Maybe that changes for the positive.. but that takes time. Also like @goru7 take on the pick6. I don't have the knowledge to know who is responsible for what on that.. but I knew it had to be a couple breakdowns.. not just a great play by the DB.

That was last season.. hopefully progress…any ??

Actually it was the last game of his senior year in HS. It was a horrendous knee injury: he posted a picture this summer of him in uniform, the scar on his left leg goes from above his knee all the way down to almost his ankle. I can't find the picture online, so I'll post it when I get home.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT