ADVERTISEMENT

Myles, Garza, Fouls and FT’s

AreYouNUTS

Legend
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
I’ve speculated elsewhere BUT thought this needs a new thread for discussion. Bottom line:

- it’s a B1G road game
- it’s Carver-Hawkeye Arena
- it’s a weeknight with students back (I assume)
- 2 very good teams with 2 very different styles
- best D (hands-down) in the conference call best O in the conference...

...SO there is a DAMN GOOD chance, should we stem the tide early, that this one comes down to FT’s taken AS WELL AS FT %. This could be a problem on both fronts as 1) they take 2 more FT’s/game and MORE IMPORTANTLY 2) they shoot FT’s at a 10% clip better than we do.

So WHY is this about Myles and Garza?? Because I’m willing to bet than Coach Fran has game-planned to BOTH immediately get MJ in foul trouble (using Garza to do so on both ends) AND for his team to do their best to draw fouls early and often, both halves, all over the floor (This is where our aggressive play on defense could hurt us if the refs are whistle happy).

So what does Pikes do to counter SHOULD this be the case? Do you limit Myles minutes early or do so the entire 1st half? We can not - CAN NOT - afford to have Myles sit out 75% of the 1st half in this game.

Also, without question, we have GOT to make our FT’s count, SPECIFICALLY the front-ends, tomorrow night!!

THOUGHTS??

Garza draws a lot of fouls, don’t think Iowa really has to game plan any different. Garza uses his entire body to draw contact. Arms, legs, head, etc. He has become a nightmare matchup inside and out.

Also tough to double down on him with the shooters they have. Myles must play smart.

Also Ron Harper Jr. is really due to have a breakout game. He hasn’t shot well in a while. It’s time for him to have a big game.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Garza draws a lot of fouls, don’t think Iowa really has to game plan any different. Garza uses his entire body to draw contact. Arms, legs, head, etc. He has become a nightmare matchup inside and out.

Also tough to double down on him with the shooters they have. Myles must play smart.

Also Ron Harper Jr. is really due to have a breakout game. He hasn’t shit well in a while. It’s time for him to have a big game.

Extra fiber would help with that.

But seriously, he is due to breakout and score more than 20.

If we go into this game hoping to win the FT battle, we’re in trouble. Our defensive excellence will have to negate their offensive excellence.

Btw, Iowa has had a few stellar defensive games as well, holding MN to 52 and MD to 49.

Garza is an absolute bully - averages 23 and 10 on 56% shooting from the field and 66% from the line.

Myles averages 9 and 8 shooting 68% from the field and 41% from the line.

This is his toughest task of the season. Couldn’t be more excited to see how he holds up, but we shouldn’t get too discouraged if he gets severely outplayed by an All-American.

We’ll have to get hot from 3 to win this game. Can’t see us winning a 64-56 game. Will have to be a 74-70 type game.

Reactions: zebnatto
Garza is an absolute bully - averages 23 and 10 on 56% shooting from the field and 66% from the line.

Myles averages 9 and 8 shooting 68% from the field and 41% from the line.

This is his toughest task of the season. Couldn’t be more excited to see how he holds up, but we shouldn’t get too discouraged if he gets severely outplayed by an All-American.

Oh don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to compare how the two of them will play, I’m strictly concerned about him getting Myles in foul trouble. Garza is a monster!

Reactions: RU23
Because I’m willing to bet than Coach Fran has game-planned to BOTH immediately get MJ in foul trouble (using Garza to do so on both ends) AND for his team to do their best to draw fouls early and often, both halves, all over the floor

Nothing new or secret with the strategy of getting starting players in foul trouble early. I am sure that PSU (Watkins), Ill (Cockburn), and Minn (Oturu) all came in with the same thinking. Guards collapsing quickly into the paint and good rotation has been able to get the ball away from these centers which helps protect MJ.

I also would expect some game-planning by our side on getting Garza in foul trouble too.

With that all said, I do agree our FT% has been and remains a concern and will cost us games against better teams.

Iowa is 4th in the country in assist rate. 65.2% of their made field goals are assisted. If I were an optimist I'd say a tough in your face defense will make it a lot tougher to freely move the ball north, south, east and west and make a team more dependent on individual ability.

Iowa is 4th in the country in assist rate. 65.2% of their made field goals are assisted. If I were an optimist I'd say a tough in your face defense will make it a lot tougher to freely move the ball north, south, east and west and make a team more dependent on individual ability.

Which seems to go hand-in-hand with the take from some of their fans that our pressure defense might be an issue for their ball-handling guards.

Which seems to go hand-in-hand with the take from some of their fans that our pressure defense might be an issue for their ball-handling guards.

Little Ricky just gave up. 1:30 left down by 12 to a shaky FT shooting team he threw the towel in.

Marcus Carr didn't even try the entire game offensively.

Reactions: BillyC80
I’ve speculated elsewhere BUT thought this needs a new thread for discussion. Bottom line:

- it’s a B1G road game
- it’s Carver-Hawkeye Arena
- it’s a weeknight with students back (I assume)
- 2 very good teams with 2 very different styles
- best D (hands-down) in the conference call best O in the conference...

...SO there is a DAMN GOOD chance, should we stem the tide early, that this one comes down to FT’s taken AS WELL AS FT %. This could be a problem on both fronts as 1) they take 2 more FT’s/game and MORE IMPORTANTLY 2) they shoot FT’s at a 10% clip better than we do.

So WHY is this about Myles and Garza?? Because I’m willing to bet than Coach Fran has game-planned to BOTH immediately get MJ in foul trouble (using Garza to do so on both ends) AND for his team to do their best to draw fouls early and often, both halves, all over the floor (This is where our aggressive play on defense could hurt us if the refs are whistle happy).

So what does Pikes do to counter SHOULD this be the case? Do you limit Myles minutes early or do so the entire 1st half? We can not - CAN NOT - afford to have Myles sit out 75% of the 1st half in this game.

Also, without question, we have GOT to make our FT’s count, SPECIFICALLY the front-ends, tomorrow night!!

THOUGHTS??
Good points, especially re: FT's.

If I’m looking to slow Garza down and keep Myles out of foul trouble ...or for that matter all our guys ...I put pressure on the guards from the inbounds up ... with our depth we could afford to slow em up... disrupt this “ high powered “ offense... remember they want to get it up inside quickly to this very good player... Carter and yes, Doucoure need to body him up... really make him work for those points... he loves to show his toughness ...let him get his points... just stop the others from going off.

Last edited:
Hope it doesn't come to this.....given how overmatched Duke was in the possession he was on Oturu what would RU do if Shaq and Myles were out of the game?

Harper?
Yeboah?
Mathis???

I am of a different mind set

I think we can play good enough defense ...and make Garza work really hard for his 22 points (like oturu did) and keep everyone else in check

(23) Rutgers 72
(19) iowa 63

We’ll have to get hot from 3 to win this game. Can’t see us winning a 64-56 game. Will have to be a 74-70 type game.

Bart says the score is 70-67. They aren't the best defensive rebounding team and they definitely don't turn you over and we are a deliberate offensive team.

If we play strong in your face D I think the pace will be well below what Iowa usually plays (69.7 111th). I think a 64-61 game is not out of the question

I watched some videos of Garza and like someone mentioned, he also shoots behind the arc with a decent shot. He's got an incredible game overall and hustles on the court for every play.

Tough assignment for our team but hopefully we can contain him along the same lines of how we handled Oturu. Garza will get his points and boards but maybe Myles can hold his own against him down the wire just as he did with Oturu.

Oturu was a beast in the second half against us and is a special big in our league but where was his game in the last five minutes or so? Our defense completely shut him down and hopefully they can bring their all against a player that has to be considered top 3 in the entire league.

Going to be a fun matchup! Looking forward to the game.

We almost swept them last year. Except for a banked in baseline 3 pointer at the RAC. Odds of that going in were less than 1%. Handled Garza well but he is a different animal this season. Beat them at their place 86-72. Harper had a huge game, 27 pts. Before anyone asks, Omoruyi was a no show, 2 pts. This would be a statement win in 2020. Beating a ranked team on the road. Huge.

Myles needs to be aggressive on offense. He showed a nice drive on Oturu and maybe can do the same against Garza a few times from the elbow or side. If they single cover Myles in the low post, Myles needs to body up Garza and bully him. On defense, double team Garza in the low post and when he's up high, switch Ron or Yeboah on him. Should be a lot of fun to see how it plays out between those two (and Carter).

I can see McCaffery going to zone , as long as we don't kill them on offensive glass can see him sticking with it. I remember reading they went to zone vs Cincy earlier in season and Cincy took and missed a ton of 3s.

We almost swept them last year. Except for a banked in baseline 3 pointer at the RAC. Odds of that going in were less than 1%. Handled Garza well but he is a different animal this season. Beat them at their place 86-72. Harper had a huge game, 27 pts. Before anyone asks, Omoruyi was a no show, 2 pts. This would be a statement win in 2020. Beating a ranked team on the road. Huge.
I'm not sure if we bother guarding Garza tight far from the basket. Lets see if he can consistently drain 3s from out there. I'd put Young and Mathis on their best 2 shooters and double Garza whenever he gets into the paint so he must pick up his dribble. But you must double with the guys covering the worst shooters. Can't leave a good shooter wide open for a kick out.
But I don't want Johnson trying to defend Garza if he drives to the basket from outside the 3 pt line. That's when he'll pick up fouls.

Little Ricky just gave up. 1:30 left down by 12 to a shaky FT shooting team he threw the towel in.

Marcus Carr didn't even try the entire game offensively.
He tried but he was mentally beat down and played the whole game as he was gassed . The best job we have ever done against Pick and roll with supreme hedging and great defensive rotations. An absolute defensive clinic. That game was 10 -14 points by that time. They hit 3 threes in last 2+ minutes including 2 garbage ones by Carr with less than 30 seconds to keep the final margin under 10.

Garza is better in the mid range than Oturu. We need to send a double at him but it can't be the guy guarding Wieskamp or Fredrick. Toussaint and Evelyn cannot shoot from outside, and if Ryan Kreiner and/or Connor McCaffrey beats us then you live with that

I'm not sure if we bother guarding Garza tight far from the basket. Lets see if he can consistently drain 3s from out there. I'd put Young and Mathis on their best 2 shooters and double Garza whenever he gets into the paint so he must pick up his dribble. But you must double with the guys covering the worst shooters. Can't leave a good shooter wide open for a kick out.
But I don't want Johnson trying to defend Garza if he drives to the basket from outside the 3 pt line. That's when he'll pick up fouls.
Disagree. Garza is an excellent 3 point shooter. Myles has to come out and defend. Garza is not going past Myles from out there. Garza is terrific down low with excellent foot work. Myles just needs to have him shoot over him and his length as he will likely miss there. I would not double immediately unless he is having a Giorgi type game where everything he throws up goes in, because their 3 point point shooters Weiscamp and Fredricks are very accurate if open but not very accurate when we are in their face. I think offensively we can get them in foul trouble, both Garza and Greiner , by taking it to the basket and I mean not just Myles but the whole team. We are quicker than them.

Garza is better in the mid range than Oturu. We need to send a double at him but it can't be the guy guarding Wieskamp or Fredrick. Toussaint and Evelyn cannot shoot from outside, and if Ryan Kreiner and/or Connor McCaffrey beats us then you live with that
I would not send a double for the reasons you stated, I am not leaving Weiscamp and Fredricks with open 3 point looks. We guard them tightly they likely struggle from 3 and they will not score anywhere close to their average and game is in the 60’s and we win because our defense is so much better than their lousy defense, man or zone.

If Myles gets in early foul trouble RU could get blown out. They will have no answer for Garza, especially if Carter's and Ducoure's defense on Oturu was any indication. Hopefully, that doesn't happen, but if it does the board shouldn't melt down. It was just a week ago that the Big 10's best team MSU got smoked by 29 points at Purdue.

If Myles gets in early foul trouble RU could get blown out. They will have no answer for Garza, especially if Carter's and Ducoure's defense on Oturu was any indication. Hopefully, that doesn't happen, but if it does the board shouldn't melt down. It was just a week ago that the Big 10's best team MSU got smoked by 29 points at Purdue.
Don't lump Carter in w/ Doucoure. Shaq's a solid post defender who unfortunately fell asleep a few times vs Minnesota. He's a senior, and a captain. I'm confident he'll have a bounce back game tomorrow.

I would not send a double for the reasons you stated, I am not leaving Weiscamp and Fredricks with open 3 point looks. We guard them tightly they likely struggle from 3 and they will not score anywhere close to their average and game is in the 60’s and we win because our defense is so much better than their lousy defense, man or zone.

I wouldn't call our defense lousy. Not great, but not lousy.

Don't lump Carter in w/ Doucoure. Shaq's a solid post defender who unfortunately fell asleep a few times vs Minnesota. He's a senior, and a captain. I'm confident he'll have a bounce back game tomorrow.

Fair point. Carter is much better than Mamadou. But, he's also a dramatic step down from Myles. I've been disappointed with Carter. As a senior captain, I expected a lot more from him. Hope he steps up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT