ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NBC NY Fireworks

Yep, turned it on to watch it, then said the hell with it, I wasn't there to watch these performers.

Reactions: Section124
Lots of complaints in the NY Post comment section
I stopped watching years ago when they had JLo doing the show in Spanish.
I stopped watching New Year's show too because they became awful
With all the 4k recording on YouTube, private stuff is better than the network hash-ups.
I like when they have drones flying though the detonations.

My wife and I turned this on and we were like " what the hell is this"? At least show the fireworks with the singing in the background. Such a wasted production.

Reactions: Plum Street
It’s supposed to be a celebration of our Independence as a country … not a concert for rooftop crowd and I love a good concert. The inability to see that was quite obvious. Hardly noticed the actual fireworks, nothing choreographed with the music and a terrible job overall by NBC . At least in DC they did a good job.

Reactions: Plum Street
Would actually love to hear the comments from people who attended of what this holiday represents and means to us? Now that would be interesting .

Glad I'm not the only one who thought it was horrible.

My wife said, "Why are you turning this on?"
I said, "To watch the fireworks".
She said, "Then why are we watching these singers"
I said, "I have no idea, but apparently the fireworks are a side act and in the background"

I turned it off.

Just saw this thread. My wife and I said the same thing. Horrible production. Even when they focused on the fireworks, many were cut off on the sides of the screen. I miss the days of the Boston Pops music in the background (emphasis on background) with a full view of the fireworks display.

MACY'S fireworks TV show was AWFUL
😖
.. editing, angles, and they cut away to commercial at end missing finale ?
WTF ?????

I’m not a fireworks person, never have been . I’m not sure what people get out of it. It’s a great holiday and we have the flag out and it’s all good. I like good music and good singing and would have no problem with that being the main thing on this holiday.

The fundamental question is why would anyone watch fireworks on TV?
Some folks enjoyed sitting with their family listening to patriotic music being choreographed to the fireworks. If I remember Macy’s actually at one time broadcast up close to the pyrotechnics. You won’t have to worry though based upon reviews of last evenings mess Macy’s can save themselves millions of dollars by cancelling future shows.

I’m not a fireworks person, never have been . I’m not sure what people get out of it. It’s a great holiday and we have the flag out and it’s all good. I like good music and good singing and would have no problem with that being the main thing on this holiday.
Last night was not geared towards the actual understanding of what July 4th means. As for music content… ehhh not really geared toward ALL Americans … and there is a reason for that .

Reactions: bac2therac
The shame is Macy’s will continue to suffer additional losses in retail sales as they don’t see their stupidity is causing people to question those show planners.

Fireworks go way back and many people like them even if mundane.
In NYC yesterday a dude drove his F-150 into a crowd and killed people.
Locally we also had injuries.
Its safer to have fireworks on TV when they are big-time, national events.
There is no reason not to do them well when even anons on YouTube do a better job.

"In 1776, then-future President John Adams sent a letter to his wife, Abigail, outlining how the country's declared independence from England should be celebrated. He wrote that the day should be marked with "pomp & parade, with shews (shows), games, sports, bonfires, bells and illuminations from one end of this continent to the other from this time forward forever more (sic)."

There is no reason not to do them well when even anons on YouTube do a better job.

"In 1776, then-future President John Adams sent a letter to his wife, Abigail, outlining how the country's declared independence from England should be celebrated. He wrote that the day should be marked with "pomp & parade, with shews (shows), games, sports, bonfires, bells and illuminations from one end of this continent to the other from this time forward forever more (sic)."

Fireworks are cool. Watching them on TV is like "traveling" by looking at Google images of a destination.

I said the same thing. This year's show was particularly bad. It was like a kid, seeing that the show started, runs in front of the camera and blocks the show. And this year they had a drone capable of broadcasting the show close up from the air.
They really should have two simultaneous broadcasts, one of the raw fireworks with their thunder and one with singers for the people who don't like fireworks.

That dude was a NJ resident … from Monmouth County… an addiction counselor according to the news reports.

That was last years show. We can watch this one every 4th :-)

This link is current and in 4K (if chosen on gear wheel) and starts around 50 seconds

I don't think watching largest fireworks in US on tv is worse than anything else not in person.
I can see more about the Grand Canyon with a 4K drone than going live - which I've done.
I watch a football game more focused at home than in the stadium.

Reactions: Extra Point
This link is current and in 4K (if chosen on gear wheel) and starts around 50 seconds

I don't think watching largest fireworks in US on tv is worse than anything else not in person.
I can see more about the Grand Canyon with a 4K drone than going live - which I've done.
I watch a football game more focused at home than in the stadium.
That's just crazy talk, lol. Fireworks on TV have none of the visceral impact of being there and seeing fireworks filling the whole sky above you and feeling those incredible booms going right through your body.

That's just crazy talk, lol. Fireworks on TV have none of the visceral impact of being there and seeing fireworks filling the whole sky above you and feeling those incredible booms going right through your body.

Macy's fireworks have more of interest than the average baseball game (which I find more boring in person). At least on TV or even radio I can follow the pitch count without being distracted by birds and planes. Indeed, baseball ratings are low and the league makes money from people spending at the stadium while walking around

Last night was not geared towards the actual understanding of what July 4th means. As for music content… ehhh not really geared toward ALL Americans … and there is a reason for that .
They could have done so much better if they had just gotten a Pink Floyd cover band.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT