ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Playoff Hockey

Can't give up that goal - terrible defensive miscommunication by Edmonton allowing Reinhart to score.
Agreed. Really bad job by the Oilers defense there giving Reinhart (a 57 goal scorer in the regular season) way too much of a lane. The Edmonton goal was on a terrible defensive play from Florida too, so I guess that’s evened out.

Should be a wild 3rd period. Next goal is huuuuuuuuuge.

Agreed. Really bad job by the Oilers defense there giving Reinhart (a 57 goal scorer in the regular season) way too much of a lane. The Edmonton goal was on a terrible defensive play from Florida too, so I guess that’s evened out.

Should be a wild 3rd period. Next goal is huuuuuuuuuge.
The absence of a next goal would be equally huge.

The absence of a next goal would be equally huge.
The way Florida is playing such tight, but aggressive defense, this game might end 2-1. Still hoping McDavid and Co. have something left to dazzle us with. Whoever wins, it's been a great series - 7 games is so much better than a sweep.

So, when do you pull the goalie? Always an interesting decision. Edmonton putting intense pressure on and might not need it or it might be the difference in them scoring, but there's that risk of one bad bounce leading to an empty net goal. I'd say ~3 minutes left.

Edmonton absolutely dominating the last 5 minutes can't believe they haven't scored. Looked like the old Gretzky-Messier-Coffey team dynasty domination. They're gassed now though.

So, when do you pull the goalie? Always an interesting decision. Edmonton putting intense pressure on and might not need it or it might be the difference in them scoring, but there's that risk of one bad bounce leading to an empty net goal. I'd say ~3 minutes left.
Waited too long, despite having several good chances and they ran McDavid and Co. into the ground the last 6 minutes, so they had nothing in the tank after pulling the goalie with a minute and a half left. Bad coaching, IMO.

Will always love the way hockey ends the season, though. The handshake line and then the hoisting of the Cup by the team captain and then the rest is just priceless. Hats off to FL for winning and Edmonton for making it a memorable series.
Just like what happens every night at closing time on the CE Board😏

Amazing SCF. Was listening to Bill Simmons talk about the most important SCF game 7’s. Besides this year, he also noted the great Rangers-Canucks series that ended the drought.

He also talked about the 1955 season where Rocket Richard went Juan Marichial on a Red swing player and accidentally knocked out a ref. Richard was suspended for the rest of the season and playoffs. Montreal fans literally rioted, including a Habs fan shaking the NHL president’s hand and then slapping him the face.

The Red Wings won the SCF in the seventh game with (who else?) Gordie Howe scoring the cup-winning goal.

BTW, there is a Gordie Howe hat trick - scoring a goal, getting an assist and getting into a fistfight. 🤠

Edmonton’s top guys just ran out of gas…too much ice time in the last 6ish minutes. I get it; it’s balls to the wall time, but there’s a reason hockey players are used to 40-50 second shifts. Oh well, the Canadian curse continues.
It was a gamble that almost paid off though. I still can't believe they didn't get anything in the net during that ~5min frenzy almost entirely inside Fla's zone. The puck bounces differently just once and it's going to OT. But Edmonton paid the price in the final minutes when they were completely gassed.

Reactions: ClassOf02
Yep and yep. That goal of his tonight was simply sublime. Would be nice for the best player in hockey to win a Cup and for Canada to get its first Cup in 31 years. I've heard they invented the game, lol.
Love that Florida won... Parity in the league is what makes it great. But could care less if Canada won (i know, hypocritical of me)... because they crap on USA for hockey all the time, cause they "invented the game". Just praying for the DEVILS to get a 4th soon !!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT