ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Allocations...

Aug 14, 2010
Big Ten 125(9) 133(9) 141(9) 149(9) 157(10) 165(8) 174(7) 184(9) 197(9) 285(9) Total (88)

Some of our guys will have to "steal" a bid to Tulsa, others will need to finish to their seed to get to Tulsa.

Peterson, Heilmann, Oliveri, Soldano, and Boone should easily qualify.

White will likely need to beat Miller who beat him 4-2.
Clark, Kanniard, Turley, and Janzer will need to surprise and do at least 2 spots better than their projected seeds. Clark has won only 1 Big Ten match and he will likely need to beat 2 guys seated above him,. With only 8 spots at 165, Kanniard has a tough road ahead of him. He will need some help with other guys getting upset. Turley is in a similar situation as Kanniard as 174 has only 7 spots. We do know what Turley did a couple of years ago. Recently, Janzer has shown improvement. He probably needs to beat Willham and Foy, or pull an upset over Smith or Caffrey.

At times, all our guys have shown the ability to qualify. The Big Ten received 30% of the pre-allocations.

I predict 7 qualifiers - Peterson, Heilmann, Olivieri, Soldano, Boone, White, and Janzer.

What do others predict?

Last edited:
I thought the betting line would be six qualifiers.
6 being a push and anything over a bonus.

Like above, white and Janzer can make this a very good tourney by stealing bids and giving us 7 (if seeds hold)

Big Ten 125(9) 133(9) 141(9) 149(9) 157(10) 165(8) 174(7) 184(9) 197(9) 285(9) Total (88)

Some of our guys will have to "steal" a bid to Tulsa, others will need to finish to their seed to get to Tulsa.
How many at larges available? We should qualify 125, 133, 141, 184, and 285 and I think we can get 157 and 197. 174 as always a mystery and 165 as always a lost cause.

Peterson, Heilmann, Oliveri, Soldano, and Boone should easily qualify.

White will likely need to beat Miller who beat him 4-2.
Clark, Kanniard, Turley, and Janzer will need to surprise and do at least 2 spots better than their projected seeds. Clark has won only 1 Big Ten match and he will likely need to beat 2 guys seated above him,. With only 8 spots at 165, Kanniard has a tough road ahead of him. He will need some help with other guys getting upset. Turley is in a similar situation as Kanniard as 174 has only 7 spots. We do know what Turley did a couple of years ago. Recently, Janzer has shown improvement. He probably needs to beat Willham and Foy, or pull an upset over Smith or Caffrey.

At times, all our guys have shown the ability to qualify. The Big Ten received 30% of the pre-allocations.

I predict 7 qualifiers - Peterson, Heilmann, Olivieri, Soldano, Boone, White, and Janzer.

What do others predict?
Peterson, Heilmann, Olivieri, Clark, Soldano, Boone, And then one out of White/Turley/Janzer to qualify~~ rn leaning Turley if he wrestled like he did against Neb.. Maybe Janzer gets in too he’s been wrestling his best since freshman year but won’t be shocked if he doesn’t get in either..

How many at larges available? We should qualify 125, 133, 141, 184, and 285 and I think we can get 157 and 197. 174 as always a mystery and 165 as always a lost cause.
Gonna be a stretch to get 157 and 197. There are 12 wrestlers ranked ahead of Clark at 157 and there are 10 ranked ahead of Janzer. Best case scenario I think is 6 auto qualifiers. I am going 5 auto qualifiers and 1 at large for 6 total qualifiers. 133 is a landmine weight class 9 bids for the Big....Iowa did not earn a bid and there are 11 ranked Big wrestlers. If Heilman does not auto bid, he should be a lock for at large.

Why on the day of the regional finals and limited marketing? I guess the new guy running the SKWC doesn’t want fans to attend. Which of our backups guys wrestling? Hope our coaches are out recruiting and watching the high school and prep national tournaments and not at a back-up tournament.

Last edited:
Why on the day of the regional finals and limited marketing? I guess the new guy running the SKWC doesn’t want fans to attend. Which of our backups guys wrestling? Hope our coaches are out recruiting and watching the high school and prep national tournaments and not at a back-up tournament.
This is the NCO(just new name). National Collegiate Open-in past was always a great tournament for guys redshirting and back-ups. Here are all the past All Americans-most years, pretty loaded brackets. http://www.nationalcollegiateopen.com/All_Time_National_Collegiate_Open_All_Americans.htm

Reactions: SCNJ
Not sure how many big 10 coaches really care about the region tournament. There’s maybe one or two elite recruits in each region at the most. Better off catching all of them at once in the state tournament in a week.

Still amusing to me that this tournament is live and I’m still trying to jump through hoops to figure out which of our wrestlers are entered. I don’t understand why the dissemination of info is always ab afterthought

Still amusing to me that this tournament is live and I’m still trying to jump through hoops to figure out which of our wrestlers are entered. I don’t understand why the dissemination of info is always ab afterthought
Looks like
141 Messina
141 Fongaro
141 Bekagov (SKWC)
149 Cetta
149 Gapas
149 S Nini
157 Weaver
165 Oneil
165 Desantis (Wonder if this means Kannaird is the guy at Big 10s)
184 Katanas
184 Toranzo
197 Collucci
285 Odonnell
285 Epperly

No Poz or Shawver

Messina advanced to quarters by fall
Fongaro advanced by tech fall
Bekagov lost 6-3
Cetta advanced by major
Gapas advanced by major
S Nini lost 6-2
Katanas, Toranzo, and Collucci all advanced via byes

Weaver lost 19-2 to a junior who is 19-21 the last two seasons

Desantis win 10-9

O’Neill lost 5-2 to a sophomore who’s 6-12 on the year. Absolutely horrible.

Epperly wins 5-2

Odonnell wins by have 1 second more riding time in ride outs

Winners bracket:
Messina advanced to semis by 19-10
Fongaro advanced to semis 8-3
Cetta advanced to semis 8-2
Gapas lost by major
Desantis lost by major

Katanas, Toranzo, Collucci, Odonnell, Epperly still to come

Consi’s:
Bekagov advanced by pin
Nini lost 4-2 and is eliminated
Weaver lost 7-2 and is eliminated
Oneill advanced a couple rounds via bye

Kantanas lost by tech fall
Toranzo lost 5-0
Colucci advances to semis 7-5
Epperly lose 2-1
Odonnell lose by major

Consi’s:
Bekagov eliminated 1-0
Gapas eliminated via MFF
Desantis advances 3-2
Oneill advances 7-3
Kantanas eliminated 2-0
Toranzo eliminated 15-7
Epperly advances by FF
Odonnell advances by pin

Semi’s:
Messina loses by pin
Fongaro advances to the finals 1-0
Cetta advances to finals with a pin at the 2nd period buzzer
Collucci loses 4-2

Consi’s:
Desantis advances 3-2
Oneill advances by tech fall
Odonnel advances 7-0
Epperly advances 10-3

Consi semi’s:
Desantis loses and will wrestle for 5th
Oneill loses by fall and will wrestle for 5th
Epperly loses by tech and will finish 5th
Messina, Colucci, and Odonnell will all FF out and finish 6th

Finals:
Fongaro loses 14-3 and finishes 2nd
Cetta loses 8-7 and finishes 2nd

Cetta had so many opportunities to win this. Gave up a takedown at the 1st period buzzer, an escape at the 2nd period buzzer, and a takedown with 9 seconds left in the 3rd. Coaches thought he had a defensive pin in the 2nd as well but ref didn’t catch it.

5th/6th place:
Desantis defeats Oneill 8-6. Hard to ever see Oneill getting a match in a dual ever again. He’s been passed over by too many guys who weren’t even highly recruited. Wouldn’t be surprised if he eventually transfers out to a lower level.

Final results:

Fongaro 2nd
Cetta 2nd
Desantis 5th
Epperly 5th
Messina 6th
Oneill 6th
Colucci 6th
Odonnell 6th

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT