ADVERTISEMENT

The Cornell Duck

mikemessner

Junior
Feb 21, 2021
Iowa State 26 Cornell 15

125 - Greg Diakomihalis (Cornell) fall Kysen Terukina (Iowa State)

133 - Evan Frost (Iowa State) dec Ethan Qureshi (Cornell), 12-5

141 - Anthony Echemendia (Iowa State) maj Vince Cornella (Cornell), 13-4

149 - Zach Redding (Iowa State) dec Ethan Fernandez (Cornell), 4-1

157 - Cody Chittum (Iowa State) maj Cole Handlovic (Cornell), 20-6

165 - David Carr (Iowa State) fall Ben Rogers (Cornell), 2:57

174 - MJ Gaitan (Iowa State) dec Benny Baker (Cornell), 10-7

184 - Chris Foca (Cornell) dec Will Feldkamp (Iowa State), 8-7

197 - Jacob Cardenas (Cornell) fall McCrae Hagarty (Iowa State)

285 - Yonger Bastida (Iowa State) dec Lewis Fernandes (Cornell) 6-3

Reactions: njsportsphan
Wonder if there’s any idiots on a Cornell forum ranting about wtf moments like they’re a unique problem to only their program

As I am confined, I get communications from many coaches. Watching last night, I thought Cornell was ducking and was disappointed in Mike Grey, a Jersey boy. Then I received Grey's email and my opinion changed. I will give Mike a pass and trust him when he indicated he wasn't ducking.

Cornell Wrestling Faithful,

I have received quite a few messages regarding our Iowa State dual so I figured I would get right to it. We had starters get injured during our previous matches in the day. If we wrestled Iowa State first we would have had all our starters in. I’m not going to risk further injury and endanger my student-athletes for a dual in December. Good or bad in the eye of the public, my job is to protect my athletes and if they aren’t able to compete they will not. We have Ohio State, Virginia Tech, Missouri and NC State amongst others remaining on the schedule. I think we have the toughest schedule in the country and I expect to wrestle our best in each event. Injuries are part of the sport and they unfortunately aren’t predictable.

All the best,
Mike
--
Mike Grey '11
The David Dunlop '59 Head Coach of Wrestling

As I am confined, I get communications from many coaches. Watching last night, I thought Cornell was ducking and was disappointed in Mike Grey, a Jersey boy. Then I received Grey's email and my opinion changed. I will give Mike a pass and trust him when he indicated he wasn't ducking.

I have received quite a few messages regarding our Iowa State dual so I figured I would get right to it. We had starters get injured during our previous matches in the day. If we wrestled Iowa State first we would have had all our starters in. I’m not going to risk further injury and endanger my student-athletes for a dual in December. Good or bad in the eye of the public, my job is to protect my athletes and if they aren’t able to compete they will not. We have Ohio State, Virginia Tech, Missouri and NC State amongst others remaining on the schedule. I think we have the toughest schedule in the country and I expect to wrestle our best in each event. Injuries are part of the sport and they unfortunately aren’t predictable.

All the best,
Mike
--
Mike Grey '11
How does this explain stuff like Fernandez being too “inj” to face Pitzer… but later in the same day got miracle healing to face Bastida??

Let’s see when Vito, Shapiro and Ramirez wrestle next? They all got injured 2 hours before where they teched their kids??? Goodale would be run out of NJ if he sat Peterson, Soldano and Poz for that dual meet. I don’t care what Grey says.

Let’s see when Vito, Shapiro and Ramirez wrestle next? They all got injured 2 hours before where they teched their kids??? Goodale would be run out of NJ if he sat Peterson, Soldano and Poz for that dual meet. I don’t care what Grey says.
He’s just trying to “protect” his wrestlers and ofc their seeds.. like Grey said there’s no incentive for him to risk his wrestlers for early meaningless duals.. it’s not his job to try to “grow the sport”.

Grey and Cornell look bad here. Too much coincidence and appears very convenient to just happen and sit their higher ranked wrestlers. Yanni looks bad as well trying to cover Grey's ass. This is what collegiate wrestling will be going forward but there's not too much that can be done. In my mind, the best way is to treat an absent wrestler as a loss no matter the reason when seeding meetings come around. I know that wouldn't be fair to a legitimately injured wrestler per say, but it would most likely help cut down this ducking BS.

As I reread all the responses from Cornell supporters and wrestlers, I get more of a feeling Cornell is guilty of ducking. Everyone has to come out of the wood work and defend Grey on social media? Just shut up and let the coach deal with it.

Round Two​

Cornell 27 Pittsburgh 12

125 - Colton Camacho (Pittsburgh) dec Brett Ungar (Cornell), 3-1

133 - Vito Arujau (Cornell) tech fall Vince Santaniello (Pittsburgh), 19-4

141 - Vince Cornella (Cornell) dec Cole Matthews (Pittsburgh), 8-2

149 - Ethan Fernandez (Cornell) dec Finn Solomon (Pittsburgh), 4-1

157 - Meyer Shapiro (Cornell) maj Dylan Evans (Pittsburgh), 14-3

165 - Julian Ramirez (Cornell) maj dec Holden Heller (Pittsburgh), 11-1

174 - Luca Augustine (Pittsburgh) dec Benny Baker (Cornell), 5-1

184 - Chris Foca (Cornell) tech fall Reece Heller (Pittsburgh), 18-1

197 - Jacob Cardenas (Cornell) dec Mac Stout (Pittsburgh), 2-1

285 - Dylan Pitzer (Pittsburgh) fall Ashton Davis (Cornell), 2:40

Round Two​

Cornell 27 Pittsburgh 12

125 - Colton Camacho (Pittsburgh) dec Brett Ungar (Cornell), 3-1

133 - Vito Arujau (Cornell) tech fall Vince Santaniello (Pittsburgh), 19-4

141 - Vince Cornella (Cornell) dec Cole Matthews (Pittsburgh), 8-2

149 - Ethan Fernandez (Cornell) dec Finn Solomon (Pittsburgh), 4-1

157 - Meyer Shapiro (Cornell) maj Dylan Evans (Pittsburgh), 14-3

165 - Julian Ramirez (Cornell) maj dec Holden Heller (Pittsburgh), 11-1

174 - Luca Augustine (Pittsburgh) dec Benny Baker (Cornell), 5-1

184 - Chris Foca (Cornell) tech fall Reece Heller (Pittsburgh), 18-1

197 - Jacob Cardenas (Cornell) dec Mac Stout (Pittsburgh), 2-1

285 - Dylan Pitzer (Pittsburgh) fall Ashton Davis (Cornell), 2:40
This was the earlier session? Look healthy here

Reactions: mikemessner
I think NCAA should following the freestyle/national level of qualifying, in that your TEAM has to qualify a weight to get into the tournament.

For example, Rutgers wrestles 17 duals this year. If Peterson goes 12-0 in dual meets and his backup goes 0-5 because we ducked every tough match, then when it comes to qualifying or seeding the tournament, Rutgers representative, whether it’s Peterson or his backup, is 12-5 in dual meets (you can treat tournament win/loss on an individual basis.) Don’t like it? Then sack up and wrestle. This will reduce ducking since a loss from a backup will carry the same weigh.

I get legitimate injuries happen but that’s life. Tell your team to recruit a competent backup and as a starter, do everything possible to get that guy better because your seed will be effected by his performance.

All the best,
Mike
--
Mike Grey '11
I think Grey's full of sh*t as he didn't expect the blow back and now all his little Cornell minions are flocking to his defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT