ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA wrestling champ Shane Griffith considering Rutgers as portal pursuit begins

He wasn’t choosing between Stanford and Ru. He was choosing between RU and Michigan, and they have Bormet, chu tells, Kevin Jackson, Bolyard and Deringer
Ik I just meant he chose to go to Stanford so having best training partners prolly wasn’t his main priority. He’s smart he’s thinking more bout life after wrestling too.

Ik I just meant he chose to go to Stanford so having best training partners prolly wasn’t his main priority. He’s smart he’s thinking more bout life after wrestling too..
no, 350k was the influence
Haha of course.

It’s either parents, or money or location, or ivy title.

Will be hard to get better when we have so many excuses

Why do you refuse to admit outside of Donnie this coaching staff is very sub par.

Do you think the names Buxton or pollard move the needle for a blue chip recruit?

Michigan has ringer and Jackson and Churella, we have pollard and Buxton?

Even if the money was dead even we are years behind on coaching talent

no, 350k was the influence
If he really got 350k, I am sure that was the reason.

I just looked at the Michigan coaching staff and their credentials are far superior to our coaches. Their staff includes many AAs, national champs, and an Olympic gold medalist. Plus 3 of their coaches have served as college head coaches.

We have Donny and no won else with impressive wrestling credentials.

If money was not the issue, which school do you believe most kids would pick?

• Haha
Reactions: mikemessner
So Michigan is paying approx. 500K - 600K on one year rentals. Must be nice. Makes it easy to root against them.

We heard that spiel with Cannon and Griffith . So maybe we should not believe the “ he’s all in “.

Heard Angelo is on his visit to RU rn.. we need to go all in.. would much rather have 4 years of Angelo over 1 year of Griffith.
I agree but the next big problem on the horizon is going to be keeping elite recruits after we land one. Michigans strategy of poaching kids from smaller schools after they develop into stars might be a new meta. We’ve had a lot of problems recruiting big names, now we have to continue to recruit guys that are on campus. It’s why Bill keeps saying focus on the guys in the room more than the guys in the portal.

Look, we have to be able to do both. Keep our guys and add to the roster through portal. If our main concern is retaining the guys we have, then we shouldn’t be in the market for someone else’s AAs. It also suggests we probably aren’t ready to take a step forward in the new world, we’re still fighting to maintain. The NIL + portal thing sucks, but some teams are in position to take advantage and benefit while others will fall further behind. Where are we?

Reactions: KidDagger
RU Fans: It's over as we knew it. I just hope they continue to hand out the program lineup sheet at the matches so I know who I am watching and rooting for. See you there. $$$$

RU Fans: It's over as we knew it. I just hope they continue to hand out the program lineup sheet at the matches so I know who I am watching and rooting for. See you there. $$$$
I don’t think this is necessarily the case. A world just doesn’t exist where RU is out bidding the big boys for elite portal transfers, but a world does exist where RU can benefit from it and manages to increase its stature as a player in the game.

Our losing out to Mich for Cannon and SG is not a win, but it is the equivalent of our holding a match to a decision which we had no business in actually winning. I see optimism in this.

Look, we have to be able to do both. Keep our guys and add to the roster through portal. If our main concern is retaining the guys we have, then we shouldn’t be in the market for someone else’s AAs. It also suggests we probably aren’t ready to take a step forward in the new world, we’re still fighting to maintain. The NIL + portal thing sucks, but some teams are in position to take advantage and benefit while others will fall further behind. Where are we?
We’re in the same spot we were in pre-NIL. We’re in the 2nd/3rd tier on the college wrestling pyramid. NIL just widened the gap between the top tier and the rest.

Top tier is Penn State, Iowa, Michigan, and Ohio State.

Tier 2 is the teams like OK State, NC State, Arizona State, and Cornell (though post Yianni they may drop a bit.)

Tier 3 is a majority of the rest of the big 10 and the other teams contending for a top 10-20 ranking.

The gap between 1 and 2 is about 350k per wrestler.

• Love
Reactions: rubigtimenow
Does anyone know how much NIL money was raised by Coach Goodale’s appeal for $250,000? The SKWC website gives updates on the Pin Pool. Could an update on NIL funds raised be provided?

We’re in the same spot we were in pre-NIL. We’re in the 2nd/3rd tier on the college wrestling pyramid. NIL just widened the gap between the top tier and the rest.

Top tier is Penn State, Iowa, Michigan, and Ohio State.

Tier 2 is the teams like OK State, NC State, Arizona State, and Cornell (though post Yianni they may drop a bit.)

Tier 3 is a majority of the rest of the big 10 and the other teams contending for a top 10-20 ranking.

The gap between 1 and 2 is about 350k per wrestler.
Us being 2nd/3rd tier is being a little generous.. feels like most year we finish outside 20+ at nationals.. tier 4/5 might be more like it w last years no AA performance

The coaches are still looking at the portal.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I agree but the next big problem on the horizon is going to be keeping elite recruits after we land one. Michigans strategy of poaching kids from smaller schools after they develop into stars might be a new meta. We’ve had a lot of problems recruiting big names, now we have to continue to recruit guys that are on campus. It’s why Bill keeps saying focus on the guys in the room more than the guys in the portal.
👀 Minnesota poaching

I’ll be surprised if it continues to be the Wild West like this.. have a feeling the committee is going to make some rule changes w portal in future.. but yep def new meta if not. yeah w/ so many names in portal still wonder if they'll all find a home.

I agree on the overall premise but every guy UM got this year was a grad transfer from a legit wrestling school.
I'm not sure if that tracks with the overall "free agency" going on.

Where did all the transfers go ?
UM, Penn state, last year Iowa.

Check the teams with big rtcs, big donors, or in Penn states case, every friggen world team member.

Those few (maybe 5 teams) who have money are going to outbid other schools for the "FA" guys.
Everyone else is going to start raising money just to try and keep their own guys.

My guess is that this either gets regulated or regulates itself after a few crazy years.

Cliff keen can spend 600-700k for a team trophy in a year... Will they do it year after year?

Us being 2nd/3rd tier is being a little generous.. feels like most year we finish outside 20+ at nationals.. tier 4/5 might be more like it w last years no AA performance
Oh come on with that BS. The 6 tourneys prior to this down season we finished 20, 13, 9, 11, 19, and 15 with multiple AAs each year:

2023: 34. Rutgers 8 (0 AAs)

2022: 20. Rutgers 28.5 (2 AAs: 3, 8)

2021: 13. Rutgers 37.5 (3 AAs: 4, 4, 8)

2019: 9. Rutgers 51.5 (3 AAs: 1, 1, 8)

2018: 11. Rutgers 42.5 (2 AAs: 2, 6)

2017: 19. Rutgers 24.5 (2 AAs: 6, 7)

2016: 15. Rutgers 30 (2 AAs: 4, 8)

2015: 31. Rutgers 9.5 (1 AA: 8)

2014: 34. Rutgers 11.5 (1 AA: 8)

2013: ? Rutgers 7.5 (0 AA)

2012: ? Rutgers ? (0 AA)

Oh come on with that BS. The 6 tourneys prior to this down season we finished 20, 13, 9, 11, 19, and 15 with multiple AAs each year:

Okay, yeah, your point seems valid that we're not fourth or fifth tier.

Still... 9, 13, 20, 34.... I don't need regression analysis to see the trend line here. There are legitimate reasons for some to express concern.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
I agree on the overall premise but every guy UM got this year was a grad transfer from a legit wrestling school.
I'm not sure if that tracks with the overall "free agency" going on.
Northwestern is not a legit wrestling school. They’re in the same boat as us. There will be good years and bad years. There will be years we challenge for a top 10 ranking and years where we’re outside the top 25.

There’s 4 big fish and everyone else is a little fish.

Yeah ur right, I just think scnj did his tiers a lil wrong..(we r not 1 tier below psu)
Tier 1= psu
Tier 2 = the trophy contenders team
Tier 3 = rest of top 10-15th contender teams
Tier 4= 16-30th
Tier 5 = 30th+

So for the last 5 years we r a tier 3/4 team w/ it peaking 2019

Yeah ur right, I just think scnj did his tiers a lil wrong..(we r not 1 tier below psu)
Tier 1= psu
Tier 2 = the trophy contenders team
Tier 3 = rest of top 10-15th contender teams
Tier 4= 16-30th
Tier 5 = 30th+

So for the last 5 years we r a tier 3/4 team w/ it peaking 2019
I had us two tiers below the elites, which is the same as where you have them if you group Penn state with the others and not give them their own tier

Northwestern is not a legit wrestling school. They’re in the same boat as us. There will be good years and bad years. There will be years we challenge for a top 10 ranking and years where we’re outside the top 25.

There’s 4 big fish and everyone else is a little fish.
So then we aren't a legit wrestling school either?

Regardless of what label you give northwestern, it's not a couple of frosh AA from UT Chattanooga. These are all graduates from solid programs, not bottom feeders.

If we see a bunch of nagaos (frosh AA leaving his school) happening (and I do agree I see it leading that way), then that's the case. But I said all this in my other comment.

So then we aren't a legit wrestling school either?

Regardless of what label you give northwestern, it's not a couple of frosh AA from UT Chattanooga. These are all graduates from solid programs, not bottom feeders.

If we see a bunch of nagaos (frosh AA leaving his school) happening (and I do agree I see it leading that way), then that's the case. But I said all this in my other comment.
We’re not a legit wrestling school. When you mention Rutgers athletics to a common sports fan does wrestling even cross their mind the way it does with the top schools in the country?

We’re a school that has good but not great wrestling. Northwestern is the same as us. When we’re truly in contention for a team trophy year in and year out, then we will be a legit wrestling school. I still think we can get there over time but we’re not there yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT