ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA wrestling champ Shane Griffith considering Rutgers as portal pursuit begins

Most know we are a D 1 school but don’t care. Even some Rutgers alums aren’t still aware of the progress all around.

How has Rutgers basketball managed to navigate this world and land a huge recruiting class?

More importantly, why can't I just find something to like about basketball like everyone else?

Interesting how different sports have different success with this.

Is there anything ti be learned from how they are fundraising? They were just a tier 3 school (according to above standards in thread) with arguably less success than the wrestling program and are about to make a huge jump.

Interesting how different sports have different success with this.

Is there anything ti be learned from how they are fundraising? They were just a tier 3 school (according to above standards in thread) with arguably less success than the wrestling program and are about to make a huge jump.
It’s called getting a Pikiell, he was able to sell his vision to a big donors..

This whole situation is a joke in so many ways. What’s wrong with people’s brains that they want their college to win wrestling matches so badly they will pay a kid what probably breaks down to $10K per match. What’s wrong with the NCAA that they would allow any team to buy a NC. Unless something changes, NIL will be the death of college sports = at some point, fans will get bored watching the same handful of schools battle it out every year for NCs. And colleges will shutdown programs realizing they can’t, or won’t, cough up the amount required to compete. If I was the president of a major university I’d be deeply concerned.

This whole situation is a joke in so many ways. What’s wrong with people’s brains that they want their college to win wrestling matches so badly they will pay a kid what probably breaks down to $10K per match. What’s wrong with the NCAA that they would allow any team to buy a NC. Unless something changes, NIL will be the death of college sports = at some point, fans will get bored watching the same handful of schools battle it out every year for NCs. And colleges will shutdown programs realizing they can’t, or won’t, cough up the amount required to compete. If I was the president of a major university I’d be deeply concerned.
Very well said and agree entirely. I used to love college sports so much more then Pro and now I am becoming indifferent. All the bigger schools are now is glorified pros. If you are going to give 1/2 mil take away the scholarships then. With all the things NCAA picks at, they have completely botched this one.

For those in favor of NIL and who are willing to write checks to rent players, explain to me the rationale? I just don’t get it. Love wrestling. Love RU. But paying wrestlers to get them in our lineup makes no sense to me. Why would anyone care so much about the prospect of winning a NC that they would pay wrestlers $350K? Am I paying to feel proud and get to brag to all my friends? Not to mention I hate to say it but most people outside the wrestling world don’t give two Fs about which team wins the wrestling NC.

It will only get worse until the gutless NCAA steps in
That ship has sailed once the Supreme Court ruled. Anyone who tries to hamper their earning potential will be sued . It’s either an act of Congress or Players Union. I wouldn’t hold my breath on a Players Union. In the me first generation no way is anyone going to give up their’s.

That ship has sailed once the Supreme Court ruled. Anyone who tries to hamper their earning potential will be sued . It’s either an act of Congress or Players Union. I wouldn’t hold my breath on a Players Union. In the me first generation no way is anyone going to give up their’s.
I would love to see a radical movement where a bunch of the have-nots in P5 refuse to schedule NIL built programs like Michigan wrestling. If I’m an AD why would I want to get my ass-kicked by a team of mercenaries.

The have nots need to figure out how to become the haves because this is the new landscape to compete in.

I'm not saying it is fair, easy or good for the sport. I'm just curious how you attract the funding so you can compete and win. Some of these big money deals are coming partially from businesses right? Who connects the business with the athlete? Is that secured before offering? With littke to no compliance involved, is there someone in charge of reaching out to /)the community? It is all new and kinda mysterious at this point.

Colorado won one football game last year. Now they get more media exposure thsn any other program and the #1 incoming class. I'm not advocating for Deon Sanders but how did he connect with the community to get this done?

The have nots need to figure out how to become the haves because this is the new landscape to compete in.

I'm not saying it is fair, easy or good for the sport. I'm just curious how you attract the funding so you can compete and win. Some of these big money deals are coming partially from businesses right? Who connects the business with the athlete? Is that secured before offering? With littke to no compliance involved, is there someone in charge of reaching out to /)the community? It is all new and kinda mysterious at this point.

Colorado won one football game last year. Now they get more media exposure thsn any other program and the #1 incoming class. I'm not advocating for Deon Sanders but how did he connect with the community to get this done?
They have the #1 transfer portal class He got that because he had 71 kids transfer out. His recruiting class sucks. It’s a unique situation which is why it’s getting so much attention. O and some of those kids who transferred in are already transferring out. He’s in trouble already and trying to recruit some of the kids he showed the door to come back.

Reactions: TheKnightclub
RentAWrestler.com. I just bought the website.
You like when we get individuals like Rivera and Bulsak to AA. I agree with the rent a wrestler. I rather see them grow threw the system. Not pointing to you. But we can’t have it both ways. This NIL has made the sport ugly.

Reactions: mikemessner
You like when we get individuals like Rivera and Bulsak to AA. I agree with the rent a wrestler. I rather see them grow threw the system. Not pointing to you. But we can’t have it both ways. This NIL has made the sport ugly.
Those were pre NIL. Now we have transfers that actually want to come here but are sent an offer they cant refuse from schools with unlimited $$.

As Robot said, that was pre NIL. Did I like they were AAs? Absolutely. Would I like to know we have to pay wrestlers to entice them to Rutgers now? Absolutely not. It's collegiate, amateur athletics. The almighty dollar has now infiltrated the amateur ranks in a legal form and it's pathetic. I'm thinking It won't be long until "entitled" high schoolers sound like professional athletes and openly leverage their positions to get more dough for themselves just like an MVP of a pro league, a league leader in statistics, etc. The good ole "I'm the best and I want to be paid the best" mantra. That being said, put on a Rutgers singlet and I will cheer for them, but my money will not be used to purchase their services.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT