ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA wrestling champ Shane Griffith considering Rutgers as portal pursuit begins

"Scott Goodale vowed to rebuild his program by bringing in competition at all 10 weight classes"
Is that true? Got more to do.

"Griffith said he’s considering three schools, including Rutgers, but remains open to hearing from others as well."
It does sound like he'd like to wrestle his last year at home, but he's still open to better offers than the three schools he's considering. How much is "home" worth in dollar terms? There's also better pizza and those Strombolis at Stuff Yer Face (weight issues aside).

Iowa is All in for Griffith...they offered him more then they pay Terry Brands for a year
Doesn’t seem worth it for one year, if true, especially if they can’t compete with PSU that year.. probably more value for them going after Nagao w/ 3 years eligibility.

It will be if we can get close to what the big guns are offering
Still trying to understand the value of paying a lot of money for a one-year transfer. It has been reported that Griffith is being offered over $150,000. What do our coaches believe is a reasonable offer for a transfer who will wrestle one year for Rutgers? At what point do we say enough is enough. I don't understand how we justify paying someone like Griffith over $150,000 for six or seven months. That is more that Rutgers pays Coach Pritzlaff for 7 months. I guess a multi-millionaire wouldn't mind paying. I am not in that league.

Is NIL more important than the Pin Pool and Golf Outing? If I give to NIL and then can't afford to give to the Pin Poll, can the SKWC still pay the coaches, staff, resident athletes and other stuff they pay for.? Can we make a NIL pledge contingent on signing wrestlers? If we raise NIL money and we fail to get transfers, what happens to our NIL contributions?

we have 9.9 scholarships for what 22-27 wrestlers? I think I read the school allows a roster up to 30, but I would assume a few of them are walk-ons.

Assuming the schollys are funded at out of state cost -on the Lax board Cali has mentioned this many times, so I assume if all we had were in state wrestlers that's like an additional 3 schollys at current cost.

is 150K NIL to one wrestler better that spreading that across 4-7 wrestlers on partial scholarships to basically give them the equivalent of a full scholly , plus a little spending money and some to cover the tax hit. to me this is where NIL can make a big difference in depth for the Olympic Sports.

@Richard Schnyderite @Lex Knapp I think it would be an interesting article to explain the dynamics of how our non FB and BB sports fund and manage their scholarships and funds that for the most part barely cover their starting lineups.

This is all new to everyone. There’s not many data points to figure out a guys worth yet. Teams are paying whatever they feel they can afford. Eventually it will stabilize (maybe at a high and surprising number) but it’s the Wild West right now.

Still trying to understand the value of paying a lot of money for a one-year transfer. It has been reported that Griffith is being offered over $150,000. What do our coaches believe is a reasonable offer for a transfer who will wrestle one year for Rutgers? At what point do we say enough is enough. I don't understand how we justify paying someone like Griffith over $150,000 for six or seven months. That is more that Rutgers pays Coach Pritzlaff for 7 months. I guess a multi-millionaire wouldn't mind paying. I am not in that league.

Is NIL more important than the Pin Pool and Golf Outing? If I give to NIL and then can't afford to give to the Pin Poll, can the SKWC still pay the coaches, staff, resident athletes and other stuff they pay for.? Can we make a NIL pledge contingent on signing wrestlers? If we raise NIL money and we fail to get transfers, what happens to our NIL contributions?
Sounds like a guy who doesn't wanna pony up yet you'll bitch all year how bad our team is ...you wanna play with the big boys you gotta pay like the big boys...that's the way it is otherwise don't complain when we can't compete

Reactions: Zimm80
It seems this plays out like an auction where the last two bidders determine the worth. Maybe the kids should go up on eBay so we can watch the action 🙄
Why wouldn't they ..you think you would do any different if it was you ...or if your kid was wrestling in this atmosphere ...of course you get what you can just like everyone else does in this country

Latest rumor has UM offering ~$300K. I guess that's all folks...

I don’t really get how one wrestler can generate enough money in one year to make it worth 300k in expenses but good for Griffith

Latest rumor has UM offering ~$300K. I guess that's all folks...
If true, Griffith should take the money and run. $300,000 for 7 months is more than most people will ever make in 7 months. I wonder which of the few fans who go to Michigan wrestling matches pull up the bucks. The RAC rocks and a Michigan match is a morgue compared to RU. If he doesn’t take the 300k, I question his Stanford education.

If true, Griffith should take the money and run. $300,000 for 7 months is more than most people will ever make in 7 months. I wonder which of the few fans who go to Michigan wrestling matches pull up the bucks. The RAC rocks and a Michigan match is a morgue compared to RU. If he doesn’t take the 300k, I question his Stanford education.
These schools are using creative ways to take the B1G $$$ from the media contract and building it into staff salaries.

Then that same staff member’s 2nd cousin’s husband’s sister’s roommate’s great aunt makes a anonymous donation to the NIL. I think you get my point… Not everyone is doing this and I’m not saying Michigan is either in this particular case, but stuff like that is going on around the country.

Here is another one… What about an outside contractor doing some construction work?? The normal price of work is $10M but $13M is agreed to and thus charged.

The same company then turns around and donates $2M to the NIL collective. There is nothing stopping that.. You could apply this to any vendor deal and with enough distance from the original source is really out of the current rules in place.

Last edited:
These schools are using creative ways to take the B1G $$$ from the media contract and building it into staff salaries.

Then that same staff member’s 2nd cousin’s husband’s sister’s roommate’s great aunt makes a anonymous donation to the NIL. I think you get my point… Not everyone is doing this and I’m not saying Michigan is either in this particular case, but stuff like that is going on around the country.

Here is another one… What about an outside contractor doing some construction work?? The normal price of work is $10M but $13M is agreeded to and charged. The same company then turns around and donates $2M to the NIL collective. There is nothing stopping that.. You could apply this to any vendor dealing and with enough distance nothing really out of the current rules in place.
Good point. Not sure if Rutgers or really most schools has the money to be able to do that.

300K would go along way towards funding the annual expenses of the SKWC.

what's the ballpark amount the resident athletes make a year ,? how much we paying for SKWC coaches?

An endowment using 4% of returns to fund the program would need to be 7.5M to have 300K a year.

300K for a 1 year rental is just crazy.

I’m starting not to care any more. I’m now seeing how the game is being played and I really don’t give a sh*t if psu wins 100 in a row or Michigan buys top 4 finishes. I used to love this sport but apathy is setting in.

An tOSU fan on the PSU board said the Michigan had a NIL deal with Clif Kean, so it is corporate $$.

Griffith said it wasn't all about the money, which was encouraging. But if Rutgers' offer is significantly lower than $300k (likely), I think the money will rule. I haven't yet decided to believe that $ number; seems excessive.

Jesus I wish these kids stopped bullsh*tting in their interviews and just tell the real truth, “because they offered me a sh*t ton more money than the other guy”. Best fit, relationships my ass, stop trying to hide it. You’re not going there for some higher moral quest or coaching, you’re there for the same reason as everyone else, money.

Last edited:
Obviously money was a huge factor, but you don’t think the talent in the room also influenced his decision?

We were never going to beat the NIL dollar, academics, and on the mat package Michigan could offer. Not unless SG was extremely homesick. When the big boys make up their mind they want someone, we aren’t going to win those auctions. The real question is, where do we go next? Obviously there are resources that were earmarked for Cannon and SG. Are they available to deploy to another recruit or transfer?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT