ADVERTISEMENT

Nebby was 20 of 27 from 2 last night. 74% !!

DennisHajekRC84

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 9, 2001
Mag or no Mag that is insane.
If guys are tired. Having them press and press and get beat is NOT the answer.
Fouling was an issue. We were so weak we didn't foul anyone. Especially a poor foul shooting team.
Poor effort by the team and poor job by Pike.
This team that Hyatt said were so much more together earlier in the year sure doesn't seem like it.
My 2 cents.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Yep 74% is the worst Rutgers 2 pt defense in the last 20 years (was on Twitter ). Fred Hill and Eddie Jordan couldn’t put up a defensive effort like this. And the next closest worst was 72% so it was the worst by far…. Don’t know what’s going on

That defense made the least athletic B1G team with few to no slashers look like world beaters last night.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Mag or no Mag that is insane.
If guys are tired. Having them press and press and get beat is NOT the answer.
Fouling was an issue. We were so weak we didn't foul anyone. Especially a poor foul shooting team.
Poor effort by the team and poor job by Pike.
This team that Hyatt said were so much more together earlier in the year sure doesn't seem like it.
My 2 cents.
No mag hurts, but the reality is this team has lost its identity.

All year long you heard players and coaches (including opposing coaches) talk about us being such a connected team.

This is the first level of adversity we’ve hit. And instead of coming together, we’re splitting.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Seems like teams have gone to school on how we play and have found ways to neutralize the pressure defense. It is now working against us.

Where was a John Chaney goon to give a hard foul?
not needed. But somebody protecting the rim would have helped. What's happened to Wolf? He's pretty good for that and had plenty of fouls to give yet hardly played. We certainly wouldn't have given up much offense with him and O wasn't the issue last night per se.
We were trailing guys all night.

When you press in the backcourt and don’t get back you give up lots of open shots. When you overplay the ball on the perimeter, there are guys open if the ball handler doesn’t panic and moves the ball. Given up lots of open shots is a surefire way to lose, they will be hit at a high percentage.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
RU let Nebraska get too comfortable offensively. We needed to muddy up the game. A few hard fouls would have done the trick.
yes, when I say we don't need a goon play I don't mean playing with that swagger and toughness we've had and aggressively defending the rim ..in fact that's exactly what I'm saying.

This is all because Tominaga suddenly transformed into Japanese Curry few games ago. He has NBA+ range and a super quick release which forces the defense way out creating space for others.

Yep 74% is the worst Rutgers 2 pt defense in the last 20 years (was on Twitter ). Fred Hill and Eddie Jordan couldn’t put up a defensive effort like this. And the next closest worst was 72% so it was the worst by far…. Don’t know what’s going on
You would think with that number we’d be overplaying the 3 point line…but that’s not even considering the many many wide open threes Nebraska had. Makes you wonder what the hell we were even doing when Nebraska had the ball.

Reactions: kcg88
When you press in the backcourt and don’t get back you give up lots of open shots. When you overplay the ball on the perimeter, there are guys open if the ball handler doesn’t panic and moves the ball. Given up lots of open shots is a surefire way to lose, they will be hit at a high percentage.
Without Mawot unfortunately we have to abandon the press!! We just can't get enough turnovers and like you said we are not able to get back and are caught out of position too too much!! Also unfortunately as tall and supposedly as athletic Cliff is NOT!! a rim protector; I am always amazed how many guards drive in and they are able to make their layups over him

That defense made the least athletic B1G team with few to no slashers look like world beaters last night.
Cliff allowed Walker to get easy baskets.Rutgers guards were too slow to guard the quicker Nebraska guards,

I liked their offensive plan and they were hot. They made it tough to defend them.

What game did you watch. ? They were plenty athletic and quick and hustled like hell on the offensive side of the ball to get open and continue moving around screens and pin downs. Then the minute they were open they shot it immediately and very well . Played like a confident team like they have been playing in their last 3 where they blew out Penn State , came from 17 down to beat Wisconsin in OT by 10 points. It gave them confidence and Wilcher hitting those 3 early 3’s gave them the poise and confidence to not get rattled which they have been on the road. They have shot terribly on the road this year but last night was not one of those nights.

What game did you watch. ? They were plenty athletic and quick and hustled like hell on the offensive side of the ball to get open and continue moving around screens and pin downs. Then the minute they were open they shot it immediately and very well . Played like a confident team like they have been playing in their last 3 where they blew out Penn State , came from 17 down to beat Wisconsin in OT by 10 points. It gave them confidence and Wilcher hitting those 3 early 3’s gave them the poise and confidence to not get rattled which they have been on the road. They have shot terribly on the road this year but last night was not one of those nights.
I never said they didn't out hustle RU. Except for their forward Walker, their guards mostly beat us on the perimeter and doubt they'd beat many teams driving to the basket.

I never said they didn't out hustle RU. Except for their forward Walker, their guards mostly beat us on the perimeter.
You said they were unathletic but they didn’t play like that breaking the press , moving without the ball , in the open court , or anywhere yesterday. That is why I was confused by what you said.

Reactions: RW90
This is all because Tominaga suddenly transformed into Japanese Curry few games ago. He has NBA+ range and a super quick release which forces the defense way out creating space for others.
And is also a flopping extraordinaire.

Wilcher is from Plainfield right? I was worried about him going off. He seems to light up for RU. Seems like a decent kid too. Their center is good. I was worried about this game. If they get a lead they can play loose and confident. If we could have gotten over the hump they may have cracked but just didn’t happen.

Our kryponite is teams that move the ball on a motion based offense …Iowa twice , Nebraska , even PSU (who missed a lot of threes )….
Yes, though usually that just results in us getting lit up from three if executed properly, including shooting well. It seems we could’ve even withstood that against Nebraska if not for the insane lack of defense on the interior.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT