ADVERTISEMENT

New Pike Contract?

ScooterSports

Junior
Jul 5, 2022
“The University’s Board of Governors has scheduled a special virtual meeting for 3:00 p.m. on Thursday, February 2, 2023, to “act on a contract amendment for basketball coach.”

The numbers are not immediately available, but considering Pikiell’s age (56) and the length of his current deal (through 2029-30), the aim is likely to keep Pikiell in Piscataway for the rest of his head coaching career.”

Exactly. Very well could be a donor stepped up and said “let’s do this NOW.”
And you were right as well in that, in the past, it always seemed like our AD was either too late or too early with this stuff. Maybe Hobbs is building experience and getting good at the timing aspect. If so, it'd be a great sign for the future of RU athletics.

I'm assuming that a lifetime contract is one that is a set number of years and continually extends after each season so the contract never ends? I really have no idea what this means, lol.

Wait a year, we can get Willard cheap. 🤮😉

From where I sit I’m hoping Pike is associated with Rutgers until he retires. I welcome this news and I hope it has a positive impact on recruiting and retaining talent!

#FakeNews
Everyone knows the entire Rutgers leadership is busy working out the contract extension for HC Schiano.

No time to waste on an extension for a coach who has actually earned it.

George Costanza Flirt GIF

Kinda surprised in light of his 4 year extension he signed last March that locked him up through ‘29-‘30. That said, hopefully the further extension will come with a huge buyout to discourage poachers.

Don’t extend years by muc. Be careful with lifetime contracts…like marriage

Last edited:
I like Pike and what he has done but I would prefer to see a Final Four appearance before RU gives a lifetime massive contract. Maybe it is what has to be done to keep him but the arms race is getting old.

This surprised me 0%. Already had a huge buyout, hopefully they make it even more. Also, pay the man!
We’re in line for our highest seed ever in the tourney and recruiting has picked up.
Thank you coach Pike for making Rutgers great again. For years I heard about the 76 squad and thought… I can’t believe we were actually ever that good. Must have been nice.
We’re not there yet but this already has been an amazing ride, thanks!

Reactions: ancienthooper
I like Pike and what he has done but I would prefer to see a Final Four appearance before RU gives a lifetime massive contract. Maybe it is what has to be done to keep him but the arms race is getting old.
Sorry not sorry....
Pike has done wonders for this program on and off the court!! He gained the respect of College basketball back with this program and I never want to look in the rear view mirror again. Nothing short of a miracle worker and it that means locking him up as our coach for as long as can be than I am all for it. he is our coach K to this program from the day he got here

Let's win a few Tournament games before we start planning statues
We probably have three 5 star recruits signing on
When had that ever happened for us before?
The future is very bright so you do it
and don’t look back

disagree slightly, assuming the recruiting goes like it is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT