ADVERTISEMENT

Should Pike be paid more than Schiano? Pike's contract is up for early renewal.

It played a role in that we had a team.

The B1G didn't take us for our at best mediocre program.

They took us because they could monetize our market. It all starts and stops with the market.

It played a role in that we had a team.

The B1G didn't take us for our at best mediocre program.

They took us because they could monetize our market. It all starts and stops with the market.
I mean it probably helped that we were decent and not the complete mess that Schiano 1.0 took over.

That definitely didn’t hurt. But it really didn’t matter. We weren’t near B1G level status in any sport, including football.

That definitely didn’t hurt. But it really didn’t matter. We weren’t near B1G level status in any sport, including football.
Sort of depends what you mean by B1G status. The B1G of that era wasn’t that strong in football in terms of actual results. We would’ve been middle of the pack there too

Reactions: Virginiarufan
Was speaking to an SEC high up AD personnel person who was chiding Rutgers for Hobbs strategy.

Different programs different goals. But he reiterated what we all know which is if you’re not giving your football program 90% of your attention and effort your athletic department is not going to thrive in the long run.

Independent of that, Pike has done a great job and future looks bright. I suspect we will pay Pike like a top 6 Big Ten basketball coach and can do so as football subsidizes enough being a BIG program to do so even if revenue is not there.

Pike has done well to grow revenue too so it makes it more tolerable to increase salary. We should raise ticket prices in the 100 level to continue that momentum.

I was told by a person “in the know” that Greg has total say about RU football and anything that touches RU football and Hobbs controls the rest. That was the deal made to bring Schiano back to RU. So Hobbs is doing great with his part of the equation. But I’m not sure that this disfunction is a way to succeed in the Big 10.

Football didn't get us into the Big Ten.

The media market our football team plays in did.
At the time we entered the Big Ten our football program was well respected thanks to Coach Schiano. We also fit many of the demographics of a Big Ten school. There were a lot of factors involved in our getting into the Big Ten. Who else were they going to take, Uconn? Football drives the bus. Give Coach Schiano the time he needs to build his program.
Having said that I believe we need to pay Coach Pikiell a salary that will keep him here till he retires. It seems a salary around 3.5M would do it.

We had a lot of boxes checked but it was our market. That’s what they wanted. Everything else made it feasible including the academic side.

I don’t think people realize how woefully behind in athletics all of our teams were. Football included. Big difference between the Big East AAC and Big Ten.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT