ADVERTISEMENT

Politi: "Greg Schiano deserves a contract extension as Rutgers clears a major hurdle"

Manage his career? lol
Tampa Bay run out by his players in the middle of his first year. Was looked at as an embarrassment by other NFL coaches. (Do your research )
OSU D coordinator fired because the most talented Defense ever ensembled some how got worse with him calling plays.
Lost his Tenn job before he started because he is in the center of the largest scandal in college football history. (When you talk about winners in life do your homework. He was in the center of the storm)
So what are those opportunities and successes???
Pandemic? Every coach and human being dealt with the pandemic. Just do your homework and actuall research what you say.
The guy has admitted he had a change after Tampa Bay… many coaches would never own up to that scab on his resume. You think Schiano doesn’t have as many positive things from former players? The Tenneesee job… how did the guy they chose work out? The storm? You make an accusation which has been debunked by not only Schiano but those investigating the PSU / Joe Pa / Sandusky tragedy and the national media. Like I posted you come across as a guy who “ hates” the guy. I know all the history of the Rutgers HC. Think perhaps we will put this out there… when he was co- D coordinator at OSU didn’t they win a National Championship?

The guy has admitted he had a change after Tampa Bay… many coaches would never own up to that scab on his resume. You think Schiano doesn’t have as many positive things from former players? The Tenneesee job… how did the guy they chose work out? The storm? You make an accusation which has been debunked by not only Schiano but those investigating the PSU / Joe Pa / Sandusky tragedy and the national media. Like I posted you come across as a guy who “ hates” the guy. I know all the history of the Rutgers HC. Think perhaps we will put this out there… when he was co- D coordinator at OSU didn’t they win a National Championship?
I wish I could be so enamored with a mediocre coach, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

I expect him to continue to improve the program with the recruiting and hopefully inch us closer to 6-8 wins consistently a year. However, I also think he might reach his peak in 3-4 years, even when we give him a 3 year extension next year, when it will be necessary to get to 8-10 wins. Schiano might get pushed out at that point. Hopefully, the recruiting pipeline will improved our depth over that period. To get us to the next level it might require a new NAME coach like Chip Kelly or a known offensive minded coach to recruit the Top 10 QB and offensive linemen to come to Rutgers. We made a huge mistake when we hire Flood because he was even worse than Schiano not wanting the offense to score and expecting the defense to win every game. WE should have gone with an offensive minded coach at that point.
This is how we get to the next level. Schiano did leave us in a good situation last time but we screwed up by hiring Flood. We should have hired a famous offensive minded coach to get the QB and other offensive players to come to Rutgers.

Football is a passing game now even Oklahoma, Nebraska and Texas realized that football isn’t played like the 1970-1990 when they won championships.

Reactions: brgRC90
He took an 8-4 team and turned it to a 8-4 team after 4 years. GS took 2-9 to 6-6 In 4 years. Hope you can see the difference
But does that merit an extension when he has 4 full years remaining on his contract?
A raise? He negotiated his deal at arm's length. Why should he get paid more than the UW coach who is 13-0 and won his conference championship?

Last edited:
But does that merit an extension when he has 4 full years remaining on his contract?
A raise? He negotiated his deal at arm's length. Why should he get paid more than the UW coach who is 13-0 and won his conference championship.
To suggest Schiano get a raise to $7 million, it won’t even motivate him any more than a $5-5.5 million raise. All it does is increase the pay scale for all college coaches to add another $2 million to the consistent 9-11 game winners since we’re paying a 6 game winner $7 million. Next thing you know, all the profit from our TV contracts are eaten up by the cost. We keep this up coaches will be at $15-20 million salary in no time.

Money doesn’t grow on trees. This is actually how suburban NJ law enforcement get paid like an average of $140k by mediation using the higher compensation from other cities and town. CEO also do the same by having their consulting firm comparing their salary too other highly compensated CEO.

Last edited:
To suggest Schiano get a raise to $7 million, it won’t even motivate him any more than a $5-5.5 million raise. All it does is increase the pay scale for all college coaches to add another $2 million to the consistent 9-11 game winners since we’re paying a 6 game winner $7 million. Next thing you know, all the profit from our TV contracts are eaten up by the cost.
It's insanity. You get paid to win, not to be a middle of the pack to lower middle of the pack middling coach. Great, you improved a bottom feed from horrific to mediocre. Now let's see if you can consistently win. You have been paid $16 million to achieve on 6-6 season. Thank you for your service.

Reactions: RU-05
These guys seem desperately afraid someone is going to come and snap up a coach that's not a new face after a single 6 and 6 season. I suspect there's no danger.
If Schiano was to leave Rutgers right now it is highly doubtful that any P4 program would be interested in him other than maybe as a DC. In fact, there are not many, if any, FBS programs that would hire him as their HC.

It's insanity. You get paid to win, not to be a middle of the pack to lower middle of the pack middling coach. Great, you improved a bottom feed from horrific to mediocre. Now let's see if you can consistently win. You have been paid $16 million to achieve on 6-6 season. Thank you for your service.
Schiano's pay should be compared to his peer's salary
His peers are other B1G HCs not ones at ACC, "expired" PAC,SEC (Conference, not agency)and the Vitamin Conference .
Expecting top pay means producing a top B1G program!
Middle of road and qualifying for a minor bowl after 3 losing seasons doesn't deserve an extension, especial with 4 years to do on contract , or renegotiate salary without adding years.

6-6 should be the start of Greg proving he deserves more money and years added to his contract and the only way he can do that is make the 2024 season a winning ine and also improve the W-L record.
If that doesn't happen and 6--6 is the record again, a pat on back and wait till after 2025 is done before thinking about making your contract better.
Schiano might be one of the lowest paid HCs in the B1G, but he signed on for that money and only proving he can make RU a winner and keeping it one should be the only was for Hobbs to start negotiating a better contract.

This year Schiano had RU FB look pretty good record wise, but the program didn't play yje way he deserves more than he's getting and it's not like other P-5 programs are out to poach him and Rutgers needs to sweeten the pot to keep him

Reactions: Unionst
There are no guarantees, but recruits know that the school is committed to him for the duration of his contract. Without this, it’s yet another talking point that can be used against us in recruiting.

Schiano has Been able to bring in terrific recruits like 4* Korey Duff, despite less than stellar results on the field. Stability is part of his value proposition.
Oh yeah, coaches are never fired before their contracts run out.....

Schiano's pay should be compared to his peer's salary
His peers are other B1G HCs not ones at ACC, "expired" PAC,SEC (Conference, not agency)and the Vitamin Conference .
Expecting top pay means producing a top B1G program!
Middle of road and qualifying for a minor bowl after 3 losing seasons doesn't deserve an extension, especial with 4 years to do on contract , or renegotiate salary without adding years.

6-6 should be the start of Greg proving he deserves more money and years added to his contract and the only way he can do that is make the 2024 season a winning ine and also improve the W-L record.
If that doesn't happen and 6--6 is the record again, a pat on back and wait till after 2025 is done before thinking about making your contract better.
Schiano might be one of the lowest paid HCs in the B1G, but he signed on for that money and only proving he can make RU a winner and keeping it one should be the only was for Hobbs to start negotiating a better contract.

This year Schiano had RU FB look pretty good record wise, but the program didn't play yje way he deserves more than he's getting and it's not like other P-5 programs are out to poach him and Rutgers needs to sweeten the pot to keep him
I answered your post in the other thread. Nobody "deserves" anything in life, and nobody "deserves" more money because other organizations are paying more. That's silly. Rutgers is spending money like crazy trying to get our facilities in line with B1G peer institutions. Why would a mediocre coach take more money when that money can go to facilities and NIL (NIL will eventually be paid by universities).

You said he signed on "only proving he can make RU a winner." RU is not a "winner" under Greg. Yet. Greg likes that word "yet." Maybe when we get to "yet" in a regular season, he might "deserve" more money. $4M is a lot of money. He's not eating salad and Ramen noodles on that salary.

A raise? He negotiated his deal at arm's length. Why should he get paid more than the UW coach who is 13-0 and won his conference championship?
No, but certainly a raise. Enough to get him out of the basement.

I answered your post in the other thread. Nobody "deserves" anything in life, and nobody "deserves" more money because other organizations are paying more. That's silly. Rutgers is spending money like crazy trying to get our facilities in line with B1G peer institutions. Why would a mediocre coach take more money when that money can go to facilities and NIL (NIL will eventually be paid by universities).

You said he signed on "only proving he can make RU a winner." RU is not a "winner" under Greg. Yet. Greg likes that word "yet." Maybe when we get to "yet" in a regular season, he might "deserve" more money. $4M is a lot of money. He's not eating salad and Ramen noodles on that salary.
4 mil is a lot of money for most, but in P-5 coaching circles that middle of the in some conferences , low in others.
Agree Schiano doesn't "deserve" a raise , he needs to earn it by making Rutgers better than a 6-6 regular season team.
Rutgers is spending money like crazy to catch up with the B1G programs that spend on their football programs on a regular bases and pay their HCs better money then Greg
is earning now
Look at the SEC, the only one under 4 mil is Vanderbilt whose HC is 9-27 in his 3 years there and coming back in 2024 after a 2-10 season
  • 1. Nick Saban, Alabama (No. 1 overall): $11.407 million
  • 2. Kirby Smart, Georgia (No. 3 overall): $10.706 million
  • 3. Brian Kelly, LSU (No. 6 overall): $9.975 million
  • 4. Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M (No. 7 overall): $9.15 million(FIRED)
  • terms of Elko's contract with Texas A&M were revealed. The deal is for six years at $42 million in total value, which boils down to Elko having an annual salary of $7 million.
  • 5. Mark Stoops, Kentucky (No. 8 overall): $9.014 million
  • 6. Josh Heupel, Tennessee (No. 9 overall): $9 million
  • 7. Lane Kiffin, Ole Miss (No. 10 overall): $9 million
  • 8. Billy Napier, Florida (No. 16 overall): $7.27 million
  • 9. Hugh Freeze, Auburn (No. 20 overall): $6.5 million
  • 10. Sam Pittman, Arkansas (No. 22 overall): $6.358 million
  • 11. Shane Beamer, South Carolina (No. 24 overall): $6.125 million
  • 12. Eliah Drinkwitz, Missouri (No. 25 overall): $6 million
  • 13. Clark Lea, Vanderbilt (No. 56 overall): $3.052 million
  • 14. Zach Arnett, Mississippi State No. (58 overall): $3 million( FIRED)
  • Mississippi State football will pay new coach Jeff Lebby an average of $4.51 million in base compensation during his contract,

Reactions: Knight Shift
Recruits know the school is committed to the coach when the AD says that Schiano can stay here as long as he wants. No need to give a coach who may go 6-7 an extension. That would be beyond stupid and one of the myriad of reasons why people don’t like to donate to Rutgers athletics.
that works both ways. Many recruits
Gave to the program not the HC’s yes. Clearly misses by the AD. Why did we end up with Flood?? Why would we have to rush last minute and not do a proper head coach search and hire Flood? (Hmmm).

We played an Average Maryland team and how did that go?

Last year under Schiano was actually worse statistically than Ash years. Oh and the offense was worse this year.

Now you will mention the defense. Well let’s look at the number of plays they were actually on the field. Let’s consider the rule changes which caused 2.5 less offensive possessions a game. Which meant RU D in the 4 th didn’t have to defend those possessions.
Try and understand the games and what GS is trying to do. Educate yourself then make an informed decision.
Facts

Will giving Schiano more make him do his job better? I'd never hire you for HR. You want to give more money to the highest paid employee when there's no reason to.
when that employee does something that has not been done since 2014, it’s easy to justify. I wouldn’t accept your offer for HR because you don’t pay market and don’t value your employees. You’ll probably have to hire someone that’s not quality like Chris Ash 😀.

when that employee does something that has not been done since 2014, it’s easy to justify. I wouldn’t accept your offer for HR because you don’t pay market and don’t value your employees. You’ll probably have to hire someone that’s not quality like Chris Ash 😀.
No idea why you're so insistent that the millionaire coach get more millions but they're not your millions to spend.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
No idea why you're so insistent that the millionaire coach get more millions but they're not your millions to spend.
It’s a msg board. Nothing said here will have any impact. It’s just for argument sake.

Spend more of the University's money instead of less. Great strategy. Less money for other coaches.
This to me would be the only way I would increase the coaching payroll.

HC is locked in and hasn't done anything to suggest he get's a raise. He's done a fine job, I'm not looking to fire him, but a raise? Not seeing the why.

Now maybe we should have spent more this past offseason on an OC, and we are likely not making a switch there one year in. But if I was going to spend more money that is where I would look to do so.

I expect him to continue to improve the program with the recruiting and hopefully inch us closer to 6-8 wins consistently a year. However, I also think he might reach his peak in 3-4 years, even when we give him a 3 year extension next year, when it will be necessary to get to 8-10 wins. Schiano might get pushed out at that point. Hopefully, the recruiting pipeline will improved our depth over that period. To get us to the next level it might require a new NAME coach like Chip Kelly or a known offensive minded coach to recruit the Top 10 QB and offensive linemen to come to Rutgers. We made a huge mistake when we hire Flood because he was even worse than Schiano not wanting the offense to score and expecting the defense to win every game. WE should have gone with an offensive minded coach at that point.
People seem to forget we hired Christabol. Then he came back asking for more than he was worth. We said no, AD panicked and rushed to hire Flood

People seem to forget we hired Christabol. Then he came back asking for more than he was worth. We said no, AD panicked and rushed to hire Flood
This will go down in infamy as the dumbest decision the Rutgers AD ever made. Had Cristobal been hired, there’s a better than fair chance that Jonathan Taylor and Saquon Barkley come to Rutgers. And we wound up giving Chris Ash the money Mario was looking for. Everything schiano built was dismantled by 2016. Typical Rutgers Penny Wise Pound Foolishness Mentality.

It was his wife who put a kabosh on the hire to Rutgers if my memory is correct. She prefers that warm Florida sunshine. That changed when Mario got that nice gig at Oregon .Had Cristobal accepted the RU offer I hesitate to say we probably don’t drop the way we did from 2015 to Schiano’s return.

It was his wife who put a kabosh on the hire to Rutgers if my memory is correct. She prefers that warm Florida sunshine. That changed when Mario got that nice gig at Oregon .Had Cristobal accepted the RU offer I hesitate to say we probably don’t drop the way we did from 2015 to Schiano’s return.
What could have been , probably true.
But super Mario didn't last at FIU was canned when the 2012 season was over,leaving with a 6 year record of 27-47.
His 7-6 in 2010 and 8-5 in 2011 at FIU made him look like a winner, 3-9 in 2012 sent him packing
Years later made a name for himself at Oregon after working under Saban at Bama after getting the FIU boot

What could have been , probably true.
But super Mario didn't last at FIU was canned when the 2012 season was over,leaving with a 6 year record of 27-47.
His 7-6 in 2010 and 8-5 in 2011 at FIU made him look like a winner, 3-9 in 2012 sent him packing
Years later made a name for himself at Oregon after working under Saban at Bama after getting the FIU boot
And your point was exactly what ? Cristobol would have at the least recruited well at Rutgers . The Mrs. Was the reason Mario reneged on the Rutgers offer and I don’t think he would have done any worse than say Chris Ash . Flood is a good O line coach but not meant to be a P5 HC. Another connection to the Schiano tree .

And your point was exactly what ? Cristobol would have at the least recruited well at Rutgers . The Mrs. Was the reason Mario reneged on the Rutgers offer and I don’t think he would have done any worse than say Chris Ash . Flood is a good O line coach but not meant to be a P5 HC. Another connection to the Schiano tree .
My point was that I felt you were probably right, but he was still a gamble because he shouldn't have been considered a good Head Coach at the time.
As for your bringing up recruiting, that is true and he was worth the gamble because of that.
Mario agreed to come, reneged on the deal made wanting more money to come and when getting more was refused he went back to FIU
Wife was supposed to be against coming and I feel his asking for more , after agreeing to salary, was to overcome her objection.

My point was that I felt you were probably right, but he was still a gamble because he shouldn't have been considered a good Head Coach at the time.
As for your bringing up recruiting, that is true and he was worth the gamble because of that.
Mario agreed to come, reneged on the deal made wanting more money to come and when getting more was refused he went back to FIU
Wife was supposed to be against coming and I feel his asking for more , after agreeing to salary, was to overcome her objection.
Almost every coach is a gamble to some extent. Was Mario a risk at the time? Possibly but his wife was the main reason. The $$$$ reason was added to soften that aspect. “ Rutgers couldn’t meet my demands” so I’m not coming aboard. So yes I was right NOT probably right.

Almost every coach is a gamble to some extent. Was Mario a risk at the time? Possibly but his wife was the main reason. The $$$$ reason was added to soften that aspect. “ Rutgers couldn’t meet my demands” so I’m not coming aboard. So yes I was right NOT probably right.
If my saying: " you were probably right" upsets you , then you're more than welcome to claim you are right about his wife being the reason he didn't accept the job.
I had stated: "Wife was supposed to be against coming and I feel his asking for more , after agreeing to salary, was to overcome her objection."
So I implied the extra money demand was trying to get her on board with taking the job and without that money he wasn't going to try talking her into changing her mind about the job
Also agree every coaching hire is a gamble, just being successful at one place doesn't assure success at the next.
Mario might have been a good hire because of the way FIU improved under him,but after he went back to FIU and had a losing season costing him his job ( which I feel taking then backing out of being RU's HC had a lot to do with the FIU dumping Mario) makes a good case that Cristobal wasn't ready to be a BE HC,but he probably had a better chance of being one than Kyle because Mario could get talented players Flood could not .

You are the one who appears to be upset ? I’m perfectly fine with what I replied to you. Here’s news : I’m 100% correct on how this played out. Mario would have been the best choice for certain . Problem was his significant other is a Florida girl. Tough nut to crack when the Mrs. holds the cards.

You are the one who appears to be upset ? I’m perfectly fine with what I replied to you. Here’s news : I’m 100% correct on how this played out. Mario would have been the best choice for certain . Problem was his significant other is a Florida girl. Tough nut to crack when the Mrs. holds the cards.
is she an Oregon girl too ?

OK, You're 100% right.
When it happened this rivals board had plenty of posters saying it was the wife.
So besides you being right, you just confirmed their position as well.
As for me, I think it was probably the case, but can't say for sure if a valid source confirmed it or if the Cristobals ever admitted ot was the wife's objection that killed the deal .
So it's just my speculating the reason and saying you're probably right because I don't know the reason,.
You might have inside info and that's why you don't like my saying : "you're probably right" and feel the need to correct me.
But since you feel 100% right with your call, I feel that our discussing what happened or might not have happened is nothing to get upset about by either one of us.
As far as I'm concerned you have every reason to feel you're right, 99.9% of this board probably feels the same way about the wife killing the deal.
Glad that's settled

Yes, hatred is always blinding, whether in sports or otherwise. I'm out of here, so I just wanted to wish you the best.
Hip Hop Television GIF by WE tv

Mario sucks. He really, really sucks.

Gatorade!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT