ADVERTISEMENT

Politi: "Greg Schiano deserves a contract extension as Rutgers clears a major hurdle"

Has our current 2024 class suffered or been diminished?
I thought it shaping up to be one of our best classes yet?
If it was severely impacting recruiting - wouldn't that already be felt with the Class of 2024?
Because his contract is through 2027. The first class this could have been an issue for, is the 2025 Class. And it won’t be an issue because he’s getting his extension.

Because it makes recruiting more difficult, with rival recruiters telling recruits that the coach isn’t going to be there for the duration of their careers. Rutgers has enough recruiting constraints as it is.
That is rubbish. First of all, getting a contract extension does not mean he will be here for 4 years. Every recruit knows that. Secondly, if he wins 7-8 games next year, he will likely get a contract extension and every recruit knows that as well. Thirdly when we gave him an 8 year contract, it did not result in us getting 4/5 * recruits.

That is rubbish. First of all, getting a contract extension does not mean he will be here for 4 years. Every recruit knows that. Secondly, if he wins 7-8 games next year, he will likely get a contract extension and every recruit knows that as well. Thirdly when we gave him an 8 year contract, it did not result in us getting 4/5 * recruits.
There are no guarantees, but recruits know that the school is committed to him for the duration of his contract. Without this, it’s yet another talking point that can be used against us in recruiting.

Schiano has Been able to bring in terrific recruits like 4* Korey Duff, despite less than stellar results on the field. Stability is part of his value proposition.

I suspect Greg Schiano will be extended 3 years at a salary of 7 million through 2030.
Well, I see we play Illinois, Minnesota, Maryland, Wisconsin and Nebraska. Only Wisconsin coach, Luke Fickell, makes $7 mIllion. I think Bret Bielema(7 out of 10 seasons in Big Ten 8 wins or more) and Matt Rhule would be considered better coaches base on the past history and Mike Locksley(7-8 wins the last 3 seasons) is at least equal to Schiano.

$5.5-6 million would be a better compensation since those three are paid in that range. If we beat 4 out of 5 teams listed then maybe $7 million since Kirk Ferentz and Luke Fickell are in that range.

Because his contract is through 2027. The first class this could have been an issue for, is the 2025 Class. And it won’t be an issue because he’s getting his extension.

But he only has 4 years on his contract.
2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027.
Class 2024 kids aren't guaranteed he'll be here their entire career.

The repeated mantra is "HCs need 5 years on contract!!!"
So that's not true now?
HCs only "need" to be under contract for 4 years at all times?

There are no guarantees, but recruits know that the school is committed to him for the duration of his contract. Without this, it’s yet another talking point that can be used against us in recruiting.

Schiano has Been able to bring in terrific recruits like 4* Korey Duff, despite less than stellar results on the field. Stability is part of his value proposition.
Yes, Schiano can get defensive players but offensive players especially QB appear, in my opinion, to avoid Rutgers because of our prior offensive play which is mainly a running game.

Reactions: brgRC90
Well, I see we play Illinois, Minnesota, Maryland, Wisconsin and Nebraska. Only Wisconsin coach, Luke Fickell, makes $7 mIllion. I think Bret Bielema(7 out of 10 seasons in Big Ten 8 wins or more) and Matt Rhule would be considered better coaches base on the past history and Mike Locksley(7-8 wins the last 3 seasons) is at least equal to Schiano.

$5.5-6 million would be a better compensation since those three are paid in that range. If we beat 4 out of 5 teams listed then maybe $7 million since Kirk Ferentz and Luke Fickell are in that range.
Greg is overpaid

Greg is overpaid
some feel that way, others feel he's going to prove he's worth much more.
In his 4 years back , as one of the lowest paid B1G HCs, RU's qualified for 2 bowls which shows he's earning his keep, but overall record doesn't deserve a raise or extenuation.
Schiano is earning the right amount and will be underpaid if the program improves in 2024.
If it doesn't and according to how the program looks in 2024 , Schiano should be told make RU good in 2025 or find another job.
If program looked bad, be gone should happen and bring in someone who can make RU a top B1G program and pay what that is worth, which is a heck of a lot more than Greg is getting now.

In his 4 years back , as one of the lowest paid B1G HCs, RU's qualified for 2 bowls which shows he's earning his keep, but overall record doesn't deserve a raise or extenuation.
Schiano is earning the right amount and will be underpaid if the program improves in 2024.
If it doesn't and according to how the program looks in 2024 , Schiano should be told make RU good in 2025 or find another job.
If program looked bad, be gone should happen and bring in someone who can make RU a top B1G program and pay what that is worth, which is a heck of a lot more than Greg is getting now.
covid year doesn't count
more than half of all teams make a bowl, not the measuring stick any longer
based off his coaching last year, he owes us money
based off of the make up of certain positions, he owes us money

I'm fine paying more for results

Reactions: RUDivision
covid year doesn't count
more than half of all teams make a bowl, not the measuring stick any longer
based off his coaching last year, he owes us money
based off of the make up of certain positions, he owes us money

I'm fine paying more for results
with 5-7 Minnesota making a bowl this year every bowl appearance counts now.
The line drawn in the sand about that covid year being unworthy has been wiped out.
Paying for results, going to a bowl game this year is a positive result and now the covid year bowl game counts towards Greg earning what he deserves , but not a penny more in salary , but with a bowl win he might deserve a bonus on top of what his contract calls for.

Recruits know the school is committed to the coach when the AD says that Schiano can stay here as long as he wants. No need to give a coach who may go 6-7 an extension. That would be beyond stupid and one of the myriad of reasons why people don’t like to donate to Rutgers athletics.

with 5-7 Minnesota making a bowl this year every bowl appearance counts now.
The line drawn in the sand about that covid year being unworthy has been wiped out.
Paying for results, going to a bowl game this year is a positive result and now the covid year bowl game counts towards Greg earning what he deserves , but not a penny more in salary , but with a bowl win he might deserve a bonus on top of what his contract calls for.
respectfully, we're not just agree on view here and that is ok. Bowl are so important, 20% of starters who expect to be drafter, are no longer playing in them. I already said more than half the teams make them. In addition, losing teams go as we did. It's not the measuring stick it once was

Greg had 3 games that were like Ash this year
Greg doesn't coach to win, anyone watching the team sees that, even the casual observer
Greg has some head scratching calls, decisions, etc..
there is more

Greg knows he won't get fired, he's comfortable. He has zero panache on the recruiting trail in v2.0. Offensive player families, ones' I've spoken to, have zero, ZERO interest in Rutgers due to style amongst other things.

Look I could go on but it doesn't matter. Greg is fine with Gav, he was fine with Vedral in yr 3. If that doesn't scare fans, then fans deserve to support a laughing stock

LOL. Pay with what?

No $ 7 million is about right… 2nd tour …seeing positive climb…recruiting getting positive results and still keeping the academic and deportment side of his team out of jail.

Maybe the light bulb is finally going off in some AD's heads. Neal Brown had 2 5 win seasons and 2 6 win seasons and 3-4 wins in conference in his 4 years at WVU. He had 4 years left on his contract going into this year and was on a pretty hot seat coming into the season.

This year he had his best season and went 8-4 overall and 6-3 in conference. He has 3 years left on his contract now and the WVU AD isn't in any hurry to extend or do anything with his contract. Good for him and that's how it should be. Nothing wrong with waiting and seeing how Brown does in the future. This is similar to the Kelly situation at UCLA when he was at the end of his first contract.

From the article:

While 8-4 is undoubtedly a good season, Baker is not in a rush to extend Brown's contract, either.

“He still has three years left, which I think is a good amount of time. It is not like you are down to a year or two," Baker said. "Three is still a fairly significant amount of time. More than the years, what speaks to stability is the guaranteed portion of the contract. The years aren’t as important as how much you have involved in if you were to make a change."

Maybe the light bulb is finally going off in some AD's heads. Neal Brown had 2 5 win seasons and 2 6 win seasons and 3-4 wins in conference in his 4 years at WVU. He had 4 years left on his contract going into this year and was on a pretty hot seat coming into the season.

This year he had his best season and went 8-4 overall and 6-3 in conference. He has 3 years left on his contract now and the WVU AD isn't in any hurry to extend or do anything with his contract. Good for him and that's how it should be. Nothing wrong with waiting and seeing how Brown does in the future. This similar to the Kelly situation at UCLA when he was at the end of his first contract.

From the article:

While 8-4 is undoubtedly a good season, Baker is not in a rush to extend Brown's contract, either.

“He still has three years left, which I think is a good amount of time. It is not like you are down to a year or two," Baker said. "Three is still a fairly significant amount of time. More than the years, what speaks to stability is the guaranteed portion of the contract. The years aren’t as important as how much you have involved in if you were to make a change."

Agreed

Reactions: RUTGERS95
No $ 7 million is about right… 2nd tour …seeing positive climb…recruiting getting positive results and still keeping the academic and deportment side of his team out of jail.

Highest paid PAC 12 team $6.6 million. Oregon(6.6 million) , Washington($4.2 mil), USC, UCLA( Chip Kelly $5.9 mil) way better team than Rutgers. No way does Schiano deserve $7 million. Let’s steal Chip Kelly to Rutgers Or Jed Fischer $2.8 million at Arizona ranked 14 or Johnathan Smith @ Oregon State $4.8 mil ranked 21.

Only Oklahoma and Oklahoma State coaches make $7 million. We can probably get any other coach in the Big 12 for $6 million.

Texas coach salary is $5.6 million.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUDivision
So your point being? Guaranteed those coaches will want to be equally compensated. 7 million in the B1G is probably the middle of the road salary in the conference.

No extension should be given! Has not been earned and the way we finished is more an indicator of what this team is under GS. NO offense and play with the approach of hope to keep it close and make the team appear better which it clearly is not. We are far away from being who we want them to be. Extensions must be earned

Reactions: Rokodesh
Well , after he gets an extension and bump upwards in salary will you boycott the program?

Highest paid PAC 12 team $6.6 million. Oregon(6.6 million) , Washington($4.2 mil), USC, UCLA( Chip Kelly $5.9 mil) way better team than Rutgers. No way does Schiano deserve $7 million. Let’s steal Chip Kelly to Rutgers Or Jed Fischer $2.8 million at Arizona ranked 14 or Johnathan Smith @ Oregon State $4.8 mil ranked 21.

Only Oklahoma and Oklahoma State coaches make $7 million. We can probably get any other coach in the Big 12 for $6 million.
Chip is 7-5 this year. Jed is a much better choice. Plus he is a Livingston guy.

Well , after he gets an extension and bump upwards in salary will you boycott the program?
I am fully confident GS will coach himself out of the program. He’s shown nothing but smoke and mirrors. Next year he has to defend more spread offenses than ever. He can’t defend them! Never could. It will show how far behind the times he is.
Will support the guys on the field but will not give a dime to the program outside of my seats

I am fully confident GS will coach himself out of the program. He’s shown nothing but smoke and mirrors. Next year he has to defend more spread offenses than ever. He can’t defend them! Never could. It will show how far behind the times he is.
Will support the guys on the field but will not give a dime to the program outside of my seats
How much did you give to Ash or Flood?

He will get 3 more years taking his years to 2030 at a salary based upon many factors . Steady improvements in wins vs losses: recruiting ; academic achievements: positives in the community : positives in keeping players on a straight line. We will see if those things come about . Most people probably have a different idea of what actual success in life or sports equates to.

How much did you give to Ash or Flood?
consistent amount
He will get 3 more years taking his years to 2030 at a salary based upon many factors . Steady improvements in wins vs losses: recruiting ; academic achievements: positives in the community : positives in keeping players on a straight line. We will see if those things come about . Most people probably have a different idea of what actual success in life or sports equates to.
lol 😂. And every kid gets a trophy at the end of the year. This is a multi billion dollar industry. Actual success in life is where we are with GS. He has been so bad that you have come to this to try and justify an extension.

What’s your view on James Franklin and PSU? Extension ?

consistent amount

lol 😂. And every kid gets a trophy at the end of the year. This is a multi billion dollar industry. Actual success in life is where we are with GS. He has been so bad that you have come to this to try and justify an extension.
You gave to Flood and Ash, but won’t give to GS. Your only reason is you think the 6-6 is smoke and mirrors. You prefer we just suck and not ”pretend“ like we are average. Did I get that right?

Reactions: RUBOB72
😜 … and if he doesn’t ? Will you be leaving the board? Answer this question….how does he manage in his career to be well respected by so many others at all levels . Has had more decent coaching opportunities than most ? Considered a top developer of talent especially players who were not considered top level prospects. He has never had the level of facilities and recruiting power as some other coaches you mentioned. What really says it all is your last sentence… that is why Rutgers has always been working from behind. When you see coaches at Nebraska etc. whining about being or staying competitive your argument doesn’t stand. The man( Schiano) comes in 4 years ago and the truth is people were not beating down the doors.Pandemic … disrupted season plus partial recruiting .So for me this is season # 3 we are entering in 2024. Getting to 6 wins may not be what you were expecting but the bookies thought 4+ wins was our top. Your seat money isn’t paying his salary. 👍🏻👏🪓🪓🪓🪓🪓

This year he had his best season and went 8-4 overall and 6-3 in conference. He has 3 years left on his contract now and the WVU AD isn't in any hurry to extend or do anything with his contract. Good for him and that's how it should be. Nothing wrong with waiting and seeing how Brown does in the future. This is similar to the Kelly situation at UCLA when he was at the end of his first contract.

From the article:

And we have fans eager to extend Schiano AND give him a raise based on one 6 and 6 season.

You gave to Flood and Ash, but won’t give to GS. Your only reason is you think the 6-6 is smoke and mirrors. You prefer we just suck and not ”pretend“ like we are average. Did I get that right?
Gave to the program not the HC’s yes. Clearly misses by the AD. Why did we end up with Flood?? Why would we have to rush last minute and not do a proper head coach search and hire Flood? (Hmmm).

We played an Average Maryland team and how did that go?

Last year under Schiano was actually worse statistically than Ash years. Oh and the offense was worse this year.

Now you will mention the defense. Well let’s look at the number of plays they were actually on the field. Let’s consider the rule changes which caused 2.5 less offensive possessions a game. Which meant RU D in the 4 th didn’t have to defend those possessions.
Try and understand the games and what GS is trying to do. Educate yourself then make an informed decision.

• Love
consistent amount

What’s this … you don’t like children getting a participation trophy? That is contrary to what and how people perceive most things. One thing you failed to mention with our last 4 opponents. They were pretty good teams 2 top 10…1 top 20…1 with a great college QB. In your world that has no baring upon results of wins vs losses. Admit it … you hate Schiano… it’s ok we understand.

We have fans comparing a guy who took over an 8-4 team to what GS took over.
They're not comparing. They're setting a standard. One season that's not even a winning record, after 4 years, is an insanely low bar.

I expect him to continue to improve the program with the recruiting and hopefully inch us closer to 6-8 wins consistently a year. However, I also think he might reach his peak in 3-4 years, even when we give him a 3 year extension next year, when it will be necessary to get to 8-10 wins. Schiano might get pushed out at that point. Hopefully, the recruiting pipeline will improved our depth over that period. To get us to the next level it might require a new NAME coach like Chip Kelly or a known offensive minded coach to recruit the Top 10 QB and offensive linemen to come to Rutgers. We made a huge mistake when we hire Flood because he was even worse than Schiano not wanting the offense to score and expecting the defense to win every game. WE should have gone with an offensive minded coach at that point.

😜 … and if he doesn’t ? Will you be leaving the board? Answer this question….how does he manage in his career to be well respected by so many others at all levels . Has had more decent coaching opportunities than most ? Considered a top developer of talent especially players who were not considered top level prospects. He has never had the level of facilities and recruiting power as some other coaches you mentioned. What really says it all is your last sentence… that is why Rutgers has always been working from behind. When you see coaches at Nebraska etc. whining about being or staying competitive your argument doesn’t stand. The man( Schiano) comes in 4 years ago and the truth is people were not beating down the doors.Pandemic … disrupted season plus partial recruiting .So for me this is season # 3 we are entering in 2024. Getting to 6 wins may not be what you were expecting but the bookies thought 4+ wins was our top. Your seat money isn’t paying his salary. 👍🏻👏🪓🪓🪓🪓🪓
Manage his career? lol
Tampa Bay run out by his players in the middle of his first year. Was looked at as an embarrassment by other NFL coaches. (Do your research )
OSU D coordinator fired because the most talented Defense ever ensembled some how got worse with him calling plays.
Lost his Tenn job before he started because he is in the center of the largest scandal in college football history. (When you talk about winners in life do your homework. He was in the center of the storm)
So what are those opportunities and successes???
Pandemic? Every coach and human being dealt with the pandemic. Just do your homework and actuall research what you say.

Sure anything is possible in today’s world of NIL … conference changes…player carousel.

From the article:

Some sanity, finally.
I have made this modest proposal several times.
I'm fine "renegotiating" our current coach's contract.
1. No extension this year.

2. Below 6 wins next year, no extension. Below 5 wins, consider firing. 6 wins? 2 year extension but no additional guaranteed money. 7 wins or better, let's see what we have.

3. Money. Keep base salary at $4M. $1M bonus for each additional win over 6 wins. You win 12 games, you get $10 million. Salary resets to next year. No Mel Tucker contracts for flash in the pan success.

4. Take it or leave it.

Here's a hypothetical.
If Kalen DeBoer, who is making $4.2 million a year decided to leave UW, would you pay him $6 or 7 million per year or pay Greg $5-6 million per year. Why would you make your choice?

They're not comparing. They're setting a standard. One season that's not even a winning record, after 4 years, is an insanely low bar.
He took an 8-4 team and turned it to a 8-4 team after 4 years. GS took 2-9 to 6-6 In 4 years. Hope you can see the difference

Reactions: NotInRHouse
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT