ADVERTISEMENT

Politi: "Greg Schiano deserves a contract extension as Rutgers clears a major hurdle"

It's amazing that you know what went into the thought processes of these guys. What are today's lotto numbers?
Don’t know those, but I do know my Rutgers Football History.

Greg Schiano immediately reached out to Rice, and within three weeks, Rice had committed to Rutgers, or more accurately, to Greg Schiano. As a 2007 article written by CBS Sports points out, "When Ray and Janet made an unofficial visit to Piscataway, both saw Pasqualoni's fatherly qualities in Schiano." The rest, as they say, was history.

Don’t know those, but I do know my Rutgers Football History.

Greg Schiano immediately reached out to Rice, and within three weeks, Rice had committed to Rutgers, or more accurately, to Greg Schiano. As a 2007 article written by CBS Sports points out, "When Ray and Janet made an unofficial visit to Piscataway, both saw Pasqualoni's fatherly qualities in Schiano." The rest, as they say, was history.
In other words, the coach and not the facilities.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
In other words, the coach and not the facilities.
The coach and facilities are integral parts of the Rutgers value proposition, which is why Schiano had a clause regarding a new Rutgers Football Facility inserted into his contract.

It's not possible when your ceiling is about 50. The results are in. The best team he beat was ranked 51, Northwestern. The next highest ranked team he played, Maryland, finished 40 and they more or less ran him off the field after Q1--at home. If NW and VT were not in some disarray, you have to wonder if he would've win those games and had another 4-win season. We know a better MSU would beat him. This was an easy year. His style of play is a dead end.

"He can't beat anyone in the top 60" became "He only beats team in the top 60 if they're in disarray" LMAO

Why was VTech in disarray?

Oh, and I'll ask again: name all the B1G teams who are regularly beating top 15 opponents. Surely it can't be that there are 4 teams at the top that regularly lose to one another? I guess every B1G coach outside of those 4 sucks?

"He can't beat anyone in the top 60" became "He only beats team in the top 60 if they're in disarray" LMAO

Why was VTech in disarray?

Oh, and I'll ask again: name all the B1G teams who are regularly beating top 15 opponents. Surely it can't be that there are 4 teams at the top that regularly lose to one another? I guess every B1G coach outside of those 4 sucks?
VTech lost to Marshall, not exactly the sign of a team firing on all cylinders. And who said anything about regularly beating Top 15 opponents. We didn't beat a Top 50 opponent even once. Maryland hosed us.

VTech lost to Marshall, not exactly the sign of a team firing on all cylinders.

So that is disarray?

Michigan lost to Appalachian State and then beat Florida in a bowl when Tebow was there. Upsets happen. It is part of the game.

You can just say "I was wrong to say he doesn't beat top 60 teams" and "basically no other B1G coach beats the top 15 teams." Faster than all the contrivances.

Reactions: rutgersal
So that is disarray?

Michigan lost to Appalachian State and then beat Florida in a bowl when Tebow was there. Upsets happen. It is part of the game.

You can just say "I was wrong to say he doesn't beat top 60 teams" and "basically no other B1G coach beats the top 15 teams." Faster than all the contrivances.
Virginia Tech in a year when they lost to Marshall, and finished ranked 59, is your idea of a win that's better than beating up on weaklings. And we DID beat a Top 60 team--51 ranked Northwestern! Therefore Schiano is capable of beating better than mediocre opponents.

Strong arguments.

Virginia Tech in a year when they lost to Marshall, and finished ranked 59, is your idea of a win that's better than beating up on weaklings. And we DID beat a Top 60 team--51 ranked Northwestern! Therefore Schiano is capable of beating better than mediocre opponents.

Strong arguments.

No it is YOUR Idea.

You're the one who said he can't beat anyone in the top 60. He beat two such teams.

Therefore he's a good coach by your own standard.

Do I need to dig up the post or you going to admit that was wrong?

Never mind you can't name who all these other worldbeaters are in this conference.

Reactions: rutgersal
No it is YOUR Idea.

You're the one who said he can't beat anyone in the top 60. He beat two such teams.

Never mind you can't name who all these other worldbeaters are in this conference.
Lol you keep thinking hammering away at Top 60 vs Top 50 means anything. I've said for YEARS he only beats weak and mediocre teams. If your best victories are against teams ranked in the 50s that qualifies as weak or mediocre teams to most people. If you think it's practically the same as beating Georgia I'm afraid most people won't agree.

No it is YOUR Idea.

who has he beaten in the top 60, 50, 40?

Lol you keep thinking hammering away at Top 60 vs Top 50 means anything. I've said for YEARS he only beats weak and mediocre teams. If your best victories are against teams ranked in the 50s that qualifies as weak or mediocre teams to most people. If you think it's practically the same as beating Georgia I'm afraid most people won't agree.
Here are the Massey Composite rankings of who our team has beaten this year: 60, 125, 61, 75, 82 and Wagner. Not a Top 50 or Top 60 team in there.

Wisconsin is ranked 47 and the loss wasn't very close--they trailed by 2 or 3 scores the whole game.

Mediocre coaches clean up only on weaklings. Better coaches also beat better teams.

Let's go through your lies one by one:

1. " He doesn't beat anyone in the top 60"

In fact VT and NW are in the top 60.

2. Today: VT and NW are weak

A few weeks ago top 60 teams were strong.

3. The claim "I believe these teams are like UGA" etc

No i didn't say that. Troll harder. If you need to prove it, try finding a quote. You won't.

Oh...and thanks for admitting that there isn't anyone outside of the top 4 regularly beating anyone within. Since you keep ignoring that question, it's a solid admission.

Anything else to troll on? Remember it's a month till a bowl. You don't want to use up every poor rationalization so quickly.

Mighty Northwestern! He deserves a raise for beating Northwestern.

Who said a raise?

Just said you got caught moving your own goalpost.

Oh and don't forget VT, who doesn't count because dIsArRay

"He only beats top 60 teams with dIsaRrAy" is a much better troll.

Who said a raise?

Wow I'm convinced. Top 50 not Top 60! Give Schiano $10 million. He's better than Nick Saban! Much better!

Let's go through your lies one by

Let's go through your lies one by one:

1. " He doesn't beat anyone in the top 60"

In fact VT and NW are in the top 60.

2. Today: VT and NW are weak

A few weeks ago top 60 teams were strong.

3. The claim "I believe these teams are like UGA" etc

No i didn't say that. Troll harder. If you need to prove it, try finding a quote. You won't.

Oh...and thanks for admitting that there isn't anyone outside of the top 4 regularly beating anyone within. Since you keep ignoring that question, it's a solid admission.

Anything else to troll on? Remember it's a month till a bowl. You don't want to use up every poor rationalization so quickly.
Seriously, quit while you're behind.

Reactions: CrankyMonkey
Mighty Northwestern! He deserves a raise for beating Northwestern.
ah was thinking someone else.

imagine arguing for an extension guaranteeing your coach is top 1% paid for the signature win of Northwestern!

ah was thinking someone else.

imagine arguing for an extension guaranteeing your coach is top 1% paid for the signature win of Northwestern!
If he can beat one of the Big Ten's historically weakest programs with an interim coach he can beat anyone!

• Haha
Pasqualoni’s departure caused them to look around. They didn’t just say, “now that Paul’s gone I’m going to Rutgers”

They evaluated Rutgers. Thankfully what we showed them, was much nicer than what Syracuse had in place, at the time.
It was the coach being a good recruiter, not the facilities, unless of course you have inside info obtained at Subway on Easton at the time.

• Haha
The coach and facilities are integral parts of the Rutgers value proposition, which is why Schiano had a clause regarding a new Rutgers Football Facility inserted into his contract.
Here's my point: If Pasqualoni wasn't out at Syracuse, Rice wasn't going anywhere but 'cuse. My second point is that it was the Coach Schiano being a good recruiter that landed him here, but Rice was also high on the facilities. Saying it was facilities over coaches is just silly.

"I called Coach Schiano earlier today. He's been getting me some good information lately and the last few days so I wanted to give him a call and give him some good news also." "The facilities at Rutgers are great. But really, the most important reason [for committing] are the coaches. They are great people and I really respect that."Like many before him, Rice left undeniably impressed when he toured the Rutgers facilities."The facilities are the best in America. If you think you can't go in there and do all kinds of things with all that equipment - I'm telling you, best facilities in America. You can turn your body into a machine."

Who said a raise?

Virginia Tech lost their Senior starting QB and their #1 WR the week before against Purdue. Not quite disarray, but their offense was a mess. Sophomore in his first start versus RU, 1 TD 1 INT. He finished the year with 14 more TDs and only 2 more INTs.

If Schiano were coaching at Temple, would he have gone to Temple? No, of course not. Never said schiano’s recruiting wasn’t a factor. I said facilities helped, which they did.

Virginia Tech lost their Senior starting QB and their #1 WR the week before against Purdue. Not quite disarray, but their offense was a mess. Sophomore in his first start versus RU, 1 TD 1 INT. He finished the year with 14 more TDs and only 2 more INTs.

The GS critics claim every p5 team keeps several Tom Brady clones on the roster, so not sure why this should diminish that win.

Well at least you admit defeat and your own goalpost moving.
Seriously, you're bad at this. Your big point is that I said we couldn't beat a Top 50 or Top 60 team--when I made that comment we hadn't beaten a Top 60 team. Two teams squeaked below Top 60 into the 50s and you think that proves Schiano can beat teams that are better than mediocre. If you're happy with that good for you. But stop acting like teams in the 50s aren't weak and mediocre. It makes you look silly.

Seriously, you're bad at this. Your big point is that I said we couldn't beat a Top 50 or Top 60 team--when I made that comment we hadn't beaten a Top 60 team. Two teams squeaked below Top 60 into the 50s and you think that proves Schiano can beat teams that are better than mediocre. If you're happy with that good for you. But stop acting like teams in the 50s aren't weak and mediocre. It makes you look silly.
he went to a shitty law school and you think he'd be good at debating and articulating a line of trajectory to reach a valid baseline for an opinion? lol

Why extend the contract at this point? Give GS another year to see what he can do or can’t do.

he went to a shitty law school and you think he'd be good at debating and articulating a line of trajectory to reach a valid baseline for an opinion? lol
It's just that it's absurd to argue that there's any difference between beating a team ranked 55 versus 64. It's all mediocre to crappy. That means many non P5 teams are even ranked above you. He can never come back with evidence of a win against a solid team.

2yrs out if you extend, none of this 4yr bs Mel is trying to pawn off
extension talk at the end of the 2024 season if RU goes to another bowl.
The bowl is only a part of earning an extension , how thew team looked and how recruiting is going are other issues involved in the discussion.
No bowl, no extension and an ultimatum about how year 6 must be or there will be no year 7 for him.

I'm amazed this thread is still active. Has everyone not already expressed their opinion? Some repeatedly?

Y'all must be bored, is what I'm thinking. 🙂

I am using your own terms. That's it. Whatever a "solid" or "top tier" team is changes by the day.

While it's silly is obvious the signature and posting history of the one person agreeing says even more.

You want to acknowledge his achievement give him a bonus or a raise, leave the length of the current contract in place, let's see where things are at the end of next year, remember two of our Big wins were against programs in turmoil, MSU and NW. Lets see if the progress continues in a year were we don't meet the Big Ten East's three top teams.

Based on what are we supposed to be competitive with Maryland? Is it the $300M Football Facility that they have, that we don’t?

Sorry , but since that facility fully opened, we haven’t been competitive with them, and they’ve left us in the dust. It’s hard not to see a connection, especially with their significantly superior talent at the WR and QB positions.
oh, there it is ! The fieldhouse. What's the equivalent NIL $$ to a fieldhouse?

I am using your own terms. That's it. Whatever a "solid" or "top tier" team is changes by the day.

While it's silly is obvious the signature and posting history of the one person agreeing says even more.
Call me when Schiano beats anyone better than mediocre. And "changes by the day" is the kind of weak exaggeration that reveals you have no argument. You should do better.

Reactions: Caliknight
Call me when Schiano beats anyone better than mediocre. And "changes by the day" is the kind of weak exaggeration that reveals you have no argument. You should do better.

Do better like say Massey Top 60 means a good team and then say it isn't once it happens twice?

Do better like say Massey Top 60 means a good team and then say it isn't once it happens twice?
Top 60, as in ranked from 50 to 60, is not good, it's mediocre. 40s is fairly mediocre, too. A ranking in the 40s puts you in the bottom half of P5 teams, or in the middle. If you can't beat teams in either bracket you're not beating good teams.

• Haha
Reactions: NotInRHouse
Why extend the contract at this point? Give GS another year to see what he can do or can’t do.
Because it makes recruiting more difficult, with rival recruiters telling recruits that the coach isn’t going to be there for the duration of their careers. Rutgers has enough recruiting constraints as it is.

Because it makes recruiting more difficult, with rival recruiters telling recruits that the coach isn’t going to be there for the duration of their careers. Rutgers has enough recruiting constraints as it is.

Has our current 2024 class suffered or been diminished?
I thought it shaping up to be one of our best classes yet?
If it was severely impacting recruiting - wouldn't that already be felt with the Class of 2024?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT