ADVERTISEMENT

New poll has Bama 5th.

It certainly not a given that Bama crushes Auburn. On the road and that defense is maybe Saban's worst at Bama.

But they have great OL play. So good that when Sabin leaves for the NFL (again) they have their heir apparent (and he will keep the recruiting class together) :Wink:

another way Bama gets in is if Minnesota loses a game but then beats OSU in the conference championship game lol

Reactions: soundcrib
undefeated baylor and 1 loss conference champ oregon or utah get in over bama
Baylor isnt going undefeated... And I disagree with Pac 12 getting in. Lets just say Oregon runs the table and they, along with Bama finish with 1 loss.

Both teams would finish at 11-1 against not so great schedules.
Bama's one loss would be a one possession loss to the number 1 team in the country, while Oregon's loss would be against Auburn, who Alabama will have a win over(Assuming both teams go 11-1). I highly doubt Oregon would get in over them.

Baylor isnt going undefeated... And I disagree with Pac 12 getting in. Lets just say Oregon runs the table and they, along with Bama finish with 1 loss.

Both teams would finish at 11-1 against not so great schedules.
Bama's one loss would be a one possession loss to the number 1 team in the country, while Oregon's loss would be against Auburn, who Alabama will have a win over(Assuming both teams go 11-1). I highly doubt Oregon would get in over them.

Technically, Oregon will be 12-1 if they run the table, defeating current #7 Utah in the Pac-12 Championship Game. Alabama has played the 80th ranked FBS schedule (it was 118th before they lost to LSU) while Oregon's is 49th. If Utah runs the table until the P12CC and Auburn loses to Georgia this Saturday, Oregon's schedule will look a lot better than Alabama (1-1 against ranked teams) and Oregon's opening day loss to Auburn SHOULD get overlooked. However, we are talking about overlooking the loss that would prevent Alabama from getting in which ESPN would not appreciate.

Do you think #13 Baylor can beat #10 Oklahoma (or #19 Texas) twice? The reason an undefeated Baylor team will get in over an 11-1 Alabama team is because they have a more difficult schedule from this point on. Baylor's schedule is #10 Oklahoma, #19 Texas, at Kansas, vs Oklahoma or Texas in the B12 Championship Game. Alabama has at Mississippi State, Western Carolina, at #12 Auburn. Who do you think is more likely to run their table? It wouldn't surprise me if the B12 Championship Game is Oklahoma vs Texas.
Could be but the fact is Baylor gets in over Alabama if they both win out.

Alabama could end the season with 1 win over a top 25 team - a 4 loss Auburn team in the high teens. 8 home games. OOC vs Duke and 3 other teams all rated 80 or worse. Their scheduling is a joke.

Alabama could end the season with 1 win over a top 25 team - a 4 loss Auburn team in the high teens. 8 home games. OOC vs Duke and 3 other teams all rated 80 or worse. Their scheduling is a joke.

This is where we are at this point and why we should not have any wildcards. The playoffs are now worse than the BCS was at any point in its existence because the playoffs are much more political than the BCS was. Undefeated Baylor and Minnesota were 12th and 17th entering last weekend, which was justified because they played the 119th and 121st toughest schedules in FCS. Undefeated Alabama and Clemson were 3rd and 5th despite playing the 118th and 98th toughest schedules. We start with the assumption that some teams (Alabama and Clemson, who haven't defeated a ranked team and whose best win was against #31 Texas A&M) are worthy while others (Penn State, G5) are not.

This is where we are today (schedule strength in parenthesis).

KEY: Undefeated
, once defeated, twice defeated, thrice defeated.
  1. LSU (20)
  2. Ohio State (16)
  3. Clemson (99)
  4. Georgia (63)
  5. Alabama (80)
  6. Oregon (49)
  7. Utah (90)
  8. Minnesota (95)
  9. Penn State (25)
  10. Oklahoma (98)
  11. Florida (45)
  12. Auburn (9)
  13. Baylor (118)
  14. Wisconsin (23)
  15. Michigan (21)
  16. Notre Dame (15)
  17. Cincinnati (48)
  18. Memphis (60)
  19. Texas (17)
  20. Iowa (30)
  21. Boise State (87)
  22. Oklahoma State (43)
  23. Navy (89)
  24. Kansas State (38)
  25. Appalachian State (123)
MISSING: SMU (76)

Minnesota should be ranked with Clemson. Penn State, and Oregon should be ranked over Georgia and Alabama. SMU should be ranked before Appalachian State. #5 Alabama, #7 Utah, #10 Oklahoma, #17 Cincinnati, and #18 Memphis should be ranked within 7 or 8 spots of each other.

Do you think #13 Baylor can beat #10 Oklahoma (or #19 Texas) twice? The reason an undefeated Baylor team will get in over an 11-1 Alabama team is because they have a more difficult schedule from this point on. Baylor's schedule is #10 Oklahoma, #19 Texas, at Kansas, vs Oklahoma or Texas in the B12 Championship Game. Alabama has at Mississippi State, Western Carolina, at #12 Auburn. Who do you think is more likely to run their table? It wouldn't surprise me if the B12 Championship Game is Oklahoma vs Texas.

Could be but the fact is Baylor gets in over Alabama if they both win out.

We are correct that Baylor will get in before Alabama in the event they go undefeated. In fact, I'll go as far as saying that an undefeated Baylor should get in before an undefeated Clemson as they have defeated #22 Oklahoma State and #24 Kansas State and then would defeat #10 Oklahoma (once or twice) and #19 Texas (once or twice) while Clemson won't play a ranked team all season. I'd assert that a 11-1 Alabama team should get in over a 13-0 Clemson team.

We are correct that Baylor will get in before Alabama in the event they go undefeated. In fact, I'll go as far as saying that an undefeated Baylor should get in before an undefeated Clemson as they have defeated #22 Oklahoma State and #24 Kansas State and then would defeat #10 Oklahoma (once or twice) and #19 Texas (once or twice) while Clemson won't play a ranked team all season. I'd assert that a 11-1 Alabama team should get in over a 13-0 Clemson team.
If a conference championship is valued by the committee, why would Alabama get in over a 13-0 Clemson team?

If a conference championship is valued by the committee, why would Alabama get in over a 13-0 Clemson team?

Your assumption is that a conference champion has an actual value rather than an arbitrary one.

2017: We saw 11-1 and SEC West runner up Alabama get in over 11-2 B1G Champion Ohio State or *12-0 AAC Champion UCF.
2016: We saw 11-1 and B1G East runner up Ohio State get in over 11-2 B1G Champion Penn State

* The G5 argument doesn't hold weight when UCF defeated #25 Memphis TWICE while Clemson will not play a ranked team this season (unless Texas A&M wins at Georgia next week). UCF played at least as difficult a schedule as Clemson has played this season.

Your assumption is that a conference champion has an actual value rather than an arbitrary one.

2017: We saw 11-1 and SEC West runner up Alabama get in over 11-2 B1G Champion Ohio State or *12-0 AAC Champion UCF.
2016: We saw 11-1 and B1G East runner up Ohio State get in over 11-2 B1G Champion Penn State

* The G5 argument doesn't hold weight when UCF defeated #25 Memphis TWICE while Clemson will not play a ranked team this season (unless Texas A&M wins at Georgia next week). UCF played at least as difficult a schedule as Clemson has played this season.
My post was somewhat tongue in cheek because of Alabama in 2017. However, the committee is "supposed" to value conference champions. Clemson may appear to have an easy schedule, but let's see how the rest of the season plays out. Once again, we don't really know how good the SEC is because they don't play anyone and tout themselves. A better Alabama team was destroyed by Clemson last year. As a result, Clemson should get the benefit of doubt if they go 13-0 because essentially the offense is back and their defense is ahead of schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT