ADVERTISEMENT

New to the Board

Reppin_Jerz

Sophomore
Feb 9, 2016
One of the well respected board members posted a thread recently that made a lot of sense, new members should first introduce themselves before jumping into heated debates or starting divisive thread topics (and to avoid being label a troll). So here I am...have you ever been labeled as being "rough around the edges" only to tell people "what do you expect, I'm from Jersey"?

I've been following this board for a few years now and I feel its time to stop debating the likelihood of RutgersAl predictions with co-workers by the water-cooler and jump into the conversation here.

Born and raised in Central NJ (the 609), decided to get away for college, but ended up coming back "Home" and putting down roots in Morris County while making the treacherous 2 hour NJ Transit commute into Manhattan daily (anyone else hear NJ Transit is supposed to go on strike in March)...

Lifelong fan of Big Ten sports, follow a couple of the more local teams since childhood and happy to have my state University in the Conference to more easily experience big ten athletics - I attend a couple of Rutgers football and basketball games every year (and hopefully Wrestling matches in the near future). Most of my friends are Rutgers grads so I feel a sense of being adopted by as well as Adopting Rutgers athletics as my own.

I look forward to contributing to the board, building some friendship and disagreeing with what most of you say...because, what do you expect, most of us are from Jersey.

I attend a couple of Rutgers football and basketball games every year .....
I'm sorry, but you don't have season tickets? You're not welcome here!
icon_mrgreen_zps1e660791.gif
You didn't cover any serious topics in your introduction, such as Taylor Ham vs. Pork Roll, favorite pizza place, what constitutes central NJ (or if it even exists), etc., so how can we take you seriously? Anyway, the big question is, when you go to RU football games, do you tailgate? And where? And what do we need to do to convince you to get season tickets?

609 is south jersey
609 is a very weird area code. I used to associate it with South Jersey (AC, Pine Barrens, etc), but then I moved to Lambertville and became a 609-er. Lambertville, Princeton, etc are definitely central.
Sorry for the hijack that could seriously change the direction of this thread.

I like how 609 was gerrymandered to include both Princeton & the nice shore towns all the way down to Cape May. Meanwhile, TRUE South Jersey is The 856. And The 856 is a definite culture of its own.

I take high offense to the poster who says 609 is "South Jersey", I can see we will not get along, Anything north of 195 cannot be south jersey, so I believe Hamilton just makes the cut . Either way I'm safely in Morris County now and I feel more at home up "North" (unless you consider only places north of I-80 "North Jersey")

Spanky asks some great questions, Pork Roll and Quoits are summertime BBQ staples. My new favorite pizza place is now Millie's in downtown Morristown (coal fire specifically). I get a couple of Rutgers football and basketball tickets from a current season ticket holder and board member who I will not name, who cannot go to all of the games, when Rutgers starts scheduling some bigger name OOC opponents and stops playing Howard I'll consider getting my own football tix.

Thanks for the warm welcome, yes I promise to start some divisive threads, but don't take me too seriously it will work out best for all of us.

Reactions: vm7118 and RU5781
609 is a very weird area code. I used to associate it with South Jersey (AC, Pine Barrens, etc), but then I moved to Lambertville and became a 609-er. Lambertville, Princeton, etc are definitely central.
Sorry for the hijack that could seriously change the direction of this thread.

Agreed. I'm in Hamilton. We are central.

Reactions: Reppin_Jerz
I like how 609 was gerrymandered to include both Princeton & the nice shore towns all the way down to Cape May. Meanwhile, TRUE South Jersey is The 856. And The 856 is a definite culture of its own.

When I started at Rutgers, I had to dial 609 to call home. By the time I was visiting New Brunswick bars as a young alumn, it was 856. Since I grew up with it 609 feels like home, even though I know 856 is.

Oh and as way of intro, welcome to the board Reppin_Jerz. I have been a member for 10 years. Always fun to read and comment. somehow I lost all of my posting points and have had to start from scratch. I am a Piscataway native went to RU like my father. Family had season tickets to both Football and Basketball for ever. Parents recently retired and moved to central Florida where my dad proudly sports his RU golf cart. I am a Business School Grad ('92) and have lived in south florida for about 17 years now. I am the CFO for a small startup as well as I work in Hospitality Finance.

And it is a Pork Roll Egg and Cheese Spiked.

Pizza is Chimney Rock Pizza

Most vivid childhood RU football memory: Going to homecoming with Dad and being told there is no way we lose this game and then losing to William and Mary.

Most vivid childhood RU hoops memory: Storming the court when we won the A10 at the RAC.

Grew up with as 201 area code and then became a 732 guy.

Finally I was a schiano fan, thought Flood was OK but we needed a change, LOVE what Ash is doing and thinks it was the right hire, have no issue with him doing double duty thru the OSU bowl game, and wished for a better recruiting class but think the character / talent / intelligence of the young men we got is what we needed most in this class.

That sums me up and now let the arguing begin.

May I recommend the weather drama threads! You'd think they would be tame and such, but they are replete with angst, rancor and acrimony! You'll love them! :sunglasses:

Reactions: bac2therac
I still need to know OP's alma mater -- it's noticeably absent from all posts. Highly suspicious.

I worked in Mercer county for a while (clearly central NJ), and all of our work phones were area code 609.
I always associate 732/609 with being central NJ.

Correct. I'm from Hamilton and there is a WORLD of difference below Hamilton (in many ways) whereas it's much more similar to the Hillsborough/South/North Brunswick/Piscataway areas to the north.

One of the well respected board members posted a thread recently that made a lot of sense, new members should first introduce themselves before jumping into heated debates or starting divisive thread topics (and to avoid being label a troll). So here I am...have you ever been labeled as being "rough around the edges" only to tell people "what do you expect, I'm from Jersey"?

I've been following this board for a few years now and I feel its time to stop debating the likelihood of RutgersAl predictions with co-workers by the water-cooler and jump into the conversation here.

Born and raised in Central NJ (the 609), decided to get away for college, but ended up coming back "Home" and putting down roots in Morris County while making the treacherous 2 hour NJ Transit commute into Manhattan daily (anyone else hear NJ Transit is supposed to go on strike in March)...

Lifelong fan of Big Ten sports, follow a couple of the more local teams since childhood and happy to have my state University in the Conference to more easily experience big ten athletics - I attend a couple of Rutgers football and basketball games every year (and hopefully Wrestling matches in the near future). Most of my friends are Rutgers grads so I feel a sense of being adopted by as well as Adopting Rutgers athletics as my own.

I look forward to contributing to the board, building some friendship and disagreeing with what most of you say...because, what do you expect, most of us are from Jersey.
Welcome, buddy! Fasten your seatbelt!

snip

Spanky asks some great questions, Pork Roll and Quoits are summertime BBQ staples. My new favorite pizza place is now Millie's in downtown Morristown (coal fire specifically). I get a couple of Rutgers football and basketball tickets from a current season ticket holder and board member who I will not name, who cannot go to all of the games, when Rutgers starts scheduling some bigger name OOC opponents and stops playing Howard I'll consider getting my own football tix.

Thanks for the warm welcome, yes I promise to start some divisive threads, but don't take me too seriously it will work out best for all of us.

Wrong. You will get them now, right?

tony-soprano.jpg

Correct. I'm from Hamilton and there is a WORLD of difference below Hamilton (in many ways) whereas it's much more similar to the Hillsborough/South/North Brunswick/Piscataway areas to the north.

Lets set the record straight
201= North Jersey 609= South jersey
Central Jersey is a myth and does not exist.
as for Hamilton it was south jersey and when I grew up it was rural farm land right up to its Trenton boarder and per your own admission any thing below RT195 is South Jersey with 1/3+ Hamilton is in south Jersey

as for Hamilton it was south jersey and when I grew up it was rural farm land right up to its Trenton boarder and per your own admission any thing below RT195 is South Jersey with 1/3+ Hamilton is in south Jersey
Central Jersey does exist.

Per Wikipedia:
Area code 732 was created on June 1, 1997, as the result of a split in New Jersey area code 908, and became mandatory on December 6 of that year. The area includes Middlesex, Somerset, and Union counties in Central Jersey, and Monmouth and northern Ocean counties on the Jersey Shore.

Area code 848 is an overlay code for this region that was created in 2001 as the pool of 732 numbers began to diminish drastically.

The 732/848 and 908 area codes generally defines the cultural Central Jersey region while 609/856 and 973/201 generally mark South Jersey and North Jersey, respectively.

Being labeled from south jersey is like being labeled a flood supporter around here...no thanks...imbazza, a lot has changed in 50-60 years, grew up in the 80s in Hamilton and wasn't much farmland then (unless you are thinking of Crosswicks on the other side of RT130)

How freakin' old are you? I grew up in Hamtilton, in the 70's and 80's, and it was far from farmland "right up to its Trenton border," lol, FAR from that buddy. There WERE still farms, no doubt, in the southern half of the township, but Hamilton is freakin' HUGE, land-wise, and socially-speaking Mercer (with most of its residents being able to trace their roots northward, along the NEC corridor and into the city, particular Brooklyn and Queens, hence the heavy flavor of Yankee and Giant fans within the confines of the county...) always was, and still is, more in "tune" with it's neighbors to the north, then south, so when I say "195" as the dividing line it's not quite as "literal," as it is "figurative," because I have no problem including everything from, maybe, Point Pleasant north - at the shore - in the same category as Hamilton, et al, on the other end of 195.

..and Central Jersey is not a "myth" no matter how many times you want to throw it out there. Sorry.

Being labeled from south jersey is like being labeled a flood supporter around here...no thanks...imbazza, a lot has changed in 50-60 years, grew up in the 80s in Hamilton and wasn't much farmland then (unless you are thinking of Crosswicks on the other side of RT130)

Where'd you grow up?

As NUTS says...lots of north jersey transplants in the Hamilton area because that is where there are large state of NJ office buildings (who doesn't have relatives that aren't/weren't state employees), family is originally from Jersey City and Union county, all Yankees and Giants fans in my family, hence why we've put down our roots back up in Morris County. But seriously, Hamilton, Princeton, West Windsor, nothing in common with the neighbors to the south in Burlington county where it's all Philly Sports (btw I don't have a more hated fan base than philly fans, not even Boston fans, or Mets fans)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT