ADVERTISEMENT

New to the Board

welcome to the board.

regarding Morris County: feel free to hit up Poor Herbie's in Madison for away game-watch for any Rutgers sports... I wouldn't call it a Rutgers bar, but it's on the train line, and more often than not you can find a Rutgers fan like Jersey Jay or myself...

Reactions: Reppin_Jerz
welcome to the board.

regarding Morris County: feel free to hit up Poor Herbie's in Madison for away game-watch for any Rutgers sports... I wouldn't call it a Rutgers bar, but it's on the train line, and more often than not you can find a Rutgers fan like Jersey Jay or myself...

No reason there isn't a designated RU alumni club bar in Mo'Town! Start it up Corner!

The greater morris county area does really need an official go-to Rutgers bar.

And don't get me started on Miami Mike's. Does not count. they practically have a friggin Penn State room. not a Rutgers bar. period.

Criteria:
1) Easy to get there (on the Morris & Essex train line, for example)
2) medium size, neighborhood feel (not a chain restaurant or a fancy-schmancy place)
3) friendly regular/local staff (not high school kids)
4) lots of TVs, volume on for game days

Poor Herbie's doesn't meet all the criteria, but it meets some.

other candidates that are great places to eat/drink, but fall short of sports bar criteria: Billy & Madeline's Red Room in Whippany, Charlie's Aunt in Chatham.

Millies?!

Millies Meatballs is not a pizza place. That is a fancy shmancy wood and coal fired pizza place.

And don't get me started on Miami Mike's. Does not count. they practically have a friggin Penn State room. not a Rutgers bar. period.

Criteria:
2) medium size, neighborhood feel (not a chain restaurant or a fancy-schmancy place)

other candidates that are great places to eat/drink, but fall short of sports bar criteria: Billy & Madeline's Red Room in Whippany, Charlie's Aunt in Chatham.

Unfortunately Sebastian's across from the Morristown train station burned. Most people are not aware, but that place was ready for soft opening as a sports bar when the building next to it burned down. There are no really good places in Morristown for Rutgers games. I usually go to Hops which is the new backroom of Famished Frog (Sidebar). Right now, its hard to get sound anywhere.

How freakin' old are you? I grew up in Hamtilton, in the 70's and 80's, and it was far from farmland "right up to its Trenton border," lol, FAR from that buddy. There WERE still farms, no doubt, in the southern half of the township, but Hamilton is freakin' HUGE, land-wise, and socially-speaking Mercer (with most of its residents being able to trace their roots northward, along the NEC corridor and into the city, particular Brooklyn and Queens, hence the heavy flavor of Yankee and Giant fans within the confines of the county...) always was, and still is, more in "tune" with it's neighbors to the north, then south, so when I say "195" as the dividing line it's not quite as "literal," as it is "figurative," because I have no problem including everything from, maybe, Point Pleasant north - at the shore - in the same category as Hamilton, et al, on the other end of 195.

..and Central Jersey is not a "myth" no matter how many times you want to throw it out there. Sorry.

As you pick point pleasant as a northern most SJ town you are off a bit as Asbury Park is more appropriate choice for South Jersey. Asbury Park 40.2229°N latitude
Hamilton NJ is 40.2070°N latitude i.e. Hamilton is south of Asbury Park a 609 area code.

Welcome Reppin jerz as you can see we all get along just like family

Reactions: Reppin_Jerz
That is true Cabbagehead, got me on a technicality, Pizza Pub in Chester is pretty good, as is Mamma Caterina's in Randolph, Vito's was my spot growing up in Hamilton...Pizza Da Solo is a hole in the wall pizza place in the Sony building in midtown that is excellent (coal fire pizza)

Unfortunately Sebastian's across from the Morristown train station burned. Most people are not aware, but that place was ready for soft opening as a sports bar when the building next to it burned down. There are no really good places in Morristown for Rutgers games. I usually go to Hops which is the new backroom of Famished Frog (Sidebar). Right now, its hard to get sound anywhere.

sebastians! i remember that place. what a shame.

Cabbagehead - send me an email at cornertavern AT ymail DOT com ... let's start building an official unofficial morris county game watch mailing list...

Being labeled from south jersey is like being labeled a flood supporter around here...no thanks...imbazza, a lot has changed in 50-60 years, grew up in the 80s in Hamilton and wasn't much farmland then (unless you are thinking of Crosswicks on the other side of RT130)

Unfortunately not too much farmland left. My mother grew up on a farm that was on Klockner Road. The pictures of what the area was like then were amazing. The farmhouse is still there I think, but looking at it you would never imagine it was once the central building for a huge farm.

Criteria:

If you, or anyone else wants to start an official RU party in that area - or any others - it's a lot easier than you think! Just reach out to
As you pick point pleasant as a northern most SJ town you are off a bit as Asbury Park is more appropriate choice for South Jersey. Asbury Park 40.2229°N latitude
Hamilton NJ is 40.2070°N latitude i.e. Hamilton is south of Asbury Park a 609 area code.

I know where Hamilton is, obviously, and where it lies in regards to Asbury and every other shore town, thanks! You're missing my point, however, so I'm not going to bother arguing. Think more "figuratively," than "literally," and you'll get the gist of where I, and most people from Mercer/Hamilton, who agree, are coming from when discussing this topic.

Unfortunately not too much farmland left. My mother grew up on a farm that was on Klockner Road. The pictures of what the area was like then were amazing. The farmhouse is still there I think, but looking at it you would never imagine it was once the central building for a huge farm.

Ha! I think I know what/where you're talking about.

I love these New Jersey geography threads. Proof perfect that we New Jerseans will argue about anything. :)
Now about Asbury Park. Can't say I would call it southern New Jersey. I live about five miles south and have always considered the area central coast. The railroad calls the area North Jersey Coast.

I'm not inclined to do this in terms of lattitude, but by eyeball Asbury looks about midway between High Point and Cape May, which wouldn't make it South Jersey. . . . . If my eyeball is correct.

Ha! I think I know what/where you're talking about.

I'm going to have to get the address to see if the house really is still there. Haven't been there in a few years now that I think about it. My mother was one of fourteen children and there are only two left, so I better find out soon before everybody who remembers where the farm was is gone.

If you, or anyone else wants to start an official RU party in that area - or any others - it's a lot easier than you think! Just reach out to

I know where Hamilton is, obviously, and where it lies in regards to Asbury and every other shore town, thanks! You're missing my point, however, so I'm not going to bother arguing. Think more "figuratively," than "literally," and you'll get the gist of where I, and most people from Mercer/Hamilton, who agree, are coming from when discussing this topic.

I love these New Jersey geography threads. Proof perfect that we New Jerseans will argue about anything. :)
Now about Asbury Park. Can't say I would call it southern New Jersey. I live about five miles south and have always considered the area central coast. The railroad calls the area North Jersey Coast.

I'm not inclined to do this in terms of lattitude, but by eyeball Asbury looks about midway between High Point and Cape May, which wouldn't make it South Jersey. . . . . If my eyeball is correct.

Relatively or literally or Wikipedia or Railroad lingo
Any thing south of Princeton is south jersey. BTW go to Hudson or Bergen county and they will say anything south of Union is south Jersey[roll]
I quit I was raised in Westwood =NJ and move to Cherry Hill =SJ and finally settled in New Brunswick = non-existent central Jersey
IT JUST F'in JERSEY

Relatively or literally or Wikipedia or Railroad lingo
Any thing south of Princeton is south jersey. BTW go to Hudson or Bergen county and they will say anything south of Union is south Jersey[roll]
I quit I was raised in Westwood =NJ and move to Cherry Hill =SJ and finally settled in New Brunswick = non-existent central Jersey
IT JUST F'in JERSEY

LOL so now it's Princeton? So then East Windsor, West Windsor and Hightstown are "South Jersey" as well? Stop, please, now!

p.s. - I've lived in Hudson County, on-and-off, for nearly 20 years, I get it!

The southern most Central Jersey shore town is Pt. Pleasant. Anything south of that is getting into a "different" area.

Reactions: StyleKnight
Central Jersey does exist.

Per Wikipedia:
Area code 732 was created on June 1, 1997, as the result of a split in New Jersey area code 908, and became mandatory on December 6 of that year. The area includes Middlesex, Somerset, and Union counties in Central Jersey, and Monmouth and northern Ocean counties on the Jersey Shore.

Area code 848 is an overlay code for this region that was created in 2001 as the pool of 732 numbers began to diminish drastically.

The 732/848 and 908 area codes generally defines the cultural Central Jersey region while 609/856 and 973/201 generally mark South Jersey and North Jersey, respectively.
Since you're at it you forgot 551/862 as overlay code for North Jersey.:D

The southern most Central Jersey shore town is Pt. Pleasant. Anything south of that is getting into a "different" area.

Ok, I like this. This presents a whole new New Jersey geography paradigm for us to debate and argue. "What is the southern most Central Jersey Coast town?" I can't remember us disputing this before. Nice work here, Zak. :)
The North Jersey Coast rail line dead ends in Bay Head, one town south, so you might be on to something here. I do agree that south of Point Pleasant is a "different area," and I think we should argue vehemently about what this means.

Ok, I like this. This presents a whole new New Jersey geography paradigm for us to debate and argue. "What is the southern most Central Jersey Coast town?" I can't remember us disputing this before. Nice work here, Zak. :)
The North Jersey Coast rail line dead ends in Bay Head, one town south, so you might be on to something here. I do agree that south of Point Pleasant is a "different area," and I think we should argue vehemently about what this means.

Been saying for years 195 and the NEC/Jersey Coast lines are the basic parameters.

Reactions: lighty
Ok, I like this.
oooooooo....let's

Reactions: jmg75

It's pretty clearly defined to me in 3 areas.

Sandy Hook-Point Pleasant (fine if you want to use Bay Head)
Mantoloking-Beach Haven (southern most LBI location)
Brigantine-Cape May

It's pretty clearly defined to me in 3 areas.

Sandy Hook-Point Pleasant (fine if you want to use Bay Head)
Mantoloking-Beach Haven (southern most LBI location)
Brigantine-Cape May

Ok, this is good. I would sub-divide it a little more though, if we are talking in terms of "different areas" as originally opined. Northern Monmouth county is very different from Southern Monmouth. So I would go from Sandy Hook maybe as far down as Monmouth Beach. (Not that far, I know). Then Long Branch to Bradley Beach. Then Avon to Brielle. I would insert the Barnegat inlet as a divider between subsequent areas. So for me it would be Point Pleasant to Seaside Park/Island Beach State Park as one area. Then Barnegat Light to Beach Haven as another area. That whole peninsula is quite a "different area." Brigantine to Cape May is good. If we are just talking geography and not "different areas" then I'll go with what you posted. :)

Asbury Park is not south jersey

Reactions: lighty
Lets set the record straight
201= North Jersey 609= South jersey
Central Jersey is a myth and does not exist.
as for Hamilton it was south jersey and when I grew up it was rural farm land right up to its Trenton boarder and per your own admission any thing below RT195 is South Jersey with 1/3+ Hamilton is in south Jersey

are you saying this for attention because everyone knows there is a central jersey. Hillsborough is not north jersey

says having Howard on our home schedule is the reason why he won't get season tickets...

did you see our schedule before we entered the B1G

Norfolk St
Eastern Michigan
Arkansas
Houston
Temple
Cincinnati
South Florida

they also have future matches with UCLA, Miami and Virginia Tech in the coming years

its a poor excuse complaining about our schedule when indeed or schedule is stacked...give the Howard tickets away then or bring the kids and wifey to it

Careful, I smells a trap. 3x we asked about his alma mater, but this was avoided and distracted by pork roll, area codes and the central jersey myth...

I got my eye on you reppin jersey, I got my eye on you:flushed:
Ehhh, he belongs on BWI, but is on a mission to destabilize ScarletNation. He knows what he's doing. Just bringing up Jersey geography has already split this board asunder.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT