ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Saban Retiring

That was rumored and he was asked during the pressers for the Rose Bowl but he brushed it off. Guess there was truth to the rumors.

No one is replacing him and his record. Alabama won’t be the same Alabama.

His DC Kevin Steele retired too so wholesale change for Alabama. Now there will be a lot of speculation as to who will replace him.

Lanning has been quite emphatic about loving Oregon and shooting down any rumor in its tracks without equivocation. There were no wish washy answers or non answers but we know how coaches are regardless of what they say. But would he really want to be the guy who follows Saban when he’s got a great cushy job at the Nike school?

And the carousel spins on, it’s quite possible to have both Alabama and Michigan come open. Although I think Michigan could get filled quickly with Sherrone Moore if Harbaugh leaves.

Such an offseason in football coaching - potentially Belichick, Saban, Carroll retiring, and Harbaugh possibly jumping back to the NFL.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
That was rumored and he was asked during the pressers for the Rose Bowl but he brushed it off. Guess there was truth to the rumors.

No one is replacing him and his record. Alabama won’t be the same Alabama.

His DC Kevin Steele retired too so wholesale change for Alabama. Now there will be a lot of speculation as to who will replace him.

My first interviewee if I'm Bama? Dan Lanning out of Oregon.

Such an offseason in football coaching - potentially Belichick, Saban, Carroll retiring, and Harbaugh possibly jumping back to the NFL.
Well 3 of them are over 70 so it’s kind of surprising but also not on some level.

Honestly, this is one of the craziest offseasons I remember and it's only getting started.

Oregon fans praying that Dabo has a sudden epiphany about NIL being an important part of modern day college football.
If I was Lanning or anyone else in a cushy job I wouldn’t go. Use it as leverage at your current school which will likely happen but why would you want to replace Saban. The pressure cooker will be crazy.

Nothing lasts forever. I wouldn’t want to be the next HC there. You go 9-3 and the fan base wants you fired after 1 year. That delusional fan base may find out what reality is about.
Yeah, remember the carousel after Bear Bryant? I think it took until Gene Stallings before there was any traction and it was short-lived.

My first interviewee if I'm Bama? Dan Lanning out of Oregon.
I think Lanning or DeBoer would be nuts to take the Alabama job. They are with programs where they can win a NC now. Oregon especially has great financial support. They will be playing in one of the 2 big conferences. Who would want the absurdity of Alabama and the SEC.? After Bryant retired in 1982, the next several HCs were fired fairly quickly. Things are much more intense and pressurized now.

I don't see how Alabama doesn't hire Chris Ash. He lead a huge turnaround at Rutgers going 8-4 in his second season (against the spread). He has experience coaching in the SEC at Arkansas and won a National Championship with Urban Meyer at Ohio State.

All he needs is an interview.

I think Lanning or DeBoer would be nuts to take the Alabama job. They are with programs where they can win a NC now. Oregon especially has great financial support. They will be playing in one of the 2 big conferences. Who would want the absurdity of Alabama and the SEC.? After Bryant retired in 1982, the next several HCs were fired fairly quickly. Things are much more intense and pressurized now.
IMO winning at the level Saban did in the modern era won’t be matched.

So if you got your own cushy fiefdom why leave.

It would have to be like a Roy Williams feeling the obligatory tug back to UNC and Dabo might be that but would he want it. He’s getting grief at Clemson despite what he’s done there. Can you imagine what he’d get at Alabama lol. His run might be over too and in the SEC it would be much tougher than the ACC.

GOAT

Lanning has to be the front runner
Woukd be funny if Belechick got a look

Kirby & Dabo have if good - neither will be going anywhere

I don't see how Alabama doesn't hire Chris Ash. He lead a huge turnaround at Rutgers going 8-4 in his second season (against the spread). He has experience coaching in the SEC at Arkansas and won a National Championship with Urban Meyer at Ohio State.

Look here, Kyle Flood is ahead in line. 1. He coached at Alabama 2. He recruited for them 3. He made it to the CFP this year. Seems like a shoe in.

• Haha
Reactions: redking
Lot of smoke about Mike
Like Jimbo, he’d be crazy to leave
Out of the names mentioned I think he’s most likely to leave but even for him, I’d lean towards no. He’s getting traction at FSU now so why leave to the pressure cooker.

I wonder if Kelly replaces Dembrock who went back to ND with Alabama’s OC Tommy Rees. Kelly tried to bring him when he first went to LSU but Rees stayed at ND before leaving to Alabama last year.

Phone interview- not in person.

Bama needs to go get some serious AFLAC GAP insurance.
College Football Hug GIF by Aflac Duck

Reactions: fsg2
Out of the names mentioned I think he’s most likely to leave but even for him, I’d lean towards no. He’s getting traction at FSU now so why leave to the pressure cooker.
Of course im biased but objectively hed be nuts to leave & go there for numerous reasons

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT