ADVERTISEMENT

NIL Donor Fatigue Increasing

I've heard the same folks claim that once NIL starts, they're out
Yet, here they are, most with thousands upon thousands of posts, continuing to post
They even still attend games

Who here amongst the masses will not watch bball next year due to Dylan and Ace getting NIL deals?
Hands raised... anyone?

It seems to me that most don't think it'll be beneficial to Rutgers
Hence, the dislike for it

Yet, as next year has proven, 2 years into NIL, it's been pretty beneficial

My point is, before we all throw up our hands and say "I'm out," let's wait to see how things play out.

We all agree that regulation of some sort is desperately needed
Things can't keep going how they are or things simply won't last

…it is interesting how the college “arms race” used to mean get the snazziest, most techie, and flashy practice facility with the best weights and cool giant screens and you could distinguish yourself. While facilities still matter, the highly sought-after recruits who can make more money than the school president of the institution they “represent” are likely not to care…they want minimum “college” inconvenience and maximum payment.

School fight song? Alma mater? What is that?

SMU was a program well ahead of its time…original NIL 🤣
The most highly sought after recruits are choosing schools with the best facilities and highest NIL. If you’ve got great facilities, you also have great NIL. Alabama, Georgia, Texas, LSU, Ohio State, and Michigan have both. Miami’s facilities are good enough, but they are also in the process of building the best facilities money can buy. USC is doing the same. I can’t think of a situation where a school has poor facilities but strong NIL support.

Reactions: rumarine
The most highly sought after recruits are choosing schools with the best facilities and highest NIL. If you’ve got great facilities, you also have great NIL. Alabama, Georgia, Texas, LSU, Ohio State, and Michigan have both. Miami’s facilities are good enough, but they are also in the process of building the best facilities money can buy. USC is doing the same. I can’t think of a situation where a school has poor facilities but strong NIL support.
I agree with Al (let that sink in)
He's spot on here

No way I’m reading this entire thread. But I think I’ve got the theme.

The courts ended amateurism. That genie is out of the bottle.

The problem under the current “system” is the business bringing in gobs of media money is not allowed to use any of that for player compensation ( at least financial compensation). complicates a patchwork of different state’s laws that are inconsistent.

1. Federal legislation is needed to provide authority to the NCAA (or some other entity) to enforce a uniform set of rules around all of this, and to provide immunity from lawsuits about it.
2. Those rules need to include that some of the huge media money coming in gets used for player compensation.

No way I’m reading this entire thread. But I think I’ve got the theme.

The courts ended amateurism. That genie is out of the bottle.

The problem under the current “system” is the business bringing in gobs of media money is not allowed to use any of that for player compensation ( at least financial compensation). complicates a patchwork of different state’s laws that are inconsistent.

1. Federal legislation is needed to provide authority to the NCAA (or some other entity) to enforce a uniform set of rules around all of this, and to provide immunity from lawsuits about it.
2. Those rules need to include that some of the huge media money coming in gets used for player compensation.
“Federal legislation”…doa…the second you get those clowns involved…

Oh great point! You've proven the pay players more argument perfectly. Excellent job!
Welcome to "the dark side".

What happens to salary caps as money coming into the sport (such as massive media rights increases)?

They also go up.
It's an apples-to-oranges comparison because there is no one single media rights deal that convers all of the Division 1 athletics departments in the country. The NFL gets a media rights package and every team gets an equal share - that doesn't happen in college sports. The only way to allow small schools (and schools cut out of the larger conferences) to compete is to have the player compensation be something every school can afford (tuition, books, housing, meals).

It seems to me that most don't think it'll be beneficial to Rutgers
Hence, the dislike for it

Yet, as next year has proven, 2 years into NIL, it's been pretty beneficial
Basketball is irrelevant. UCONN proves it. I like watching it, but it has almost no impact on the success of the school (like football).

Reactions: RUScrew85
It's an apples-to-oranges comparison because there is no one single media rights deal that convers all of the Division 1 athletics departments in the country. The NFL gets a media rights package and every team gets an equal share - that doesn't happen in college sports. The only way to allow small schools (and schools cut out of the larger conferences) to compete is to have the player compensation be something every school can afford (tuition, books, housing, meals).

You're seriously pulling the "worried about allowing small schools to compete" card while also talking about media rights packages........

Any other rules that should be instituted to allow small schools to compete? Maybe pool those differing media rights packages?

Funny the small schools only need to be considered with athlete compensation. Every other aspect of the sport (coaching salaries, recruiting resources, AD budgets) people couldn't care less about "allowing small schools to compete".

You're seriously pulling the "worried about allowing small schools to compete" card while also talking about media rights packages........
Yes, of course. If schools start dropping interscholastic athletics, then those scholarships go away. If those scholarships go away, kids are going to lose the opportunity to go to college.

Yes, of course. If schools start dropping interscholastic athletics, then those scholarships go away. If those scholarships go away, kids are going to lose the opportunity to go to college.

Ok. Then why stop at athlete compensation and NIL?
Pool media media money and distribute among all 130CFB/350CBB teams.

Rutgers making nearly $100m while other schools receive pennies certainly its "letting small schools compete".

That's the biggest (and easiest to fix) limiter to fair competition.

Now you say:
"But some schools deserve more money because they are better. Not all conferences are equal."

Then I say:
"Exactly. If you are better abd earn more then you deserve more.
And some athletes deserve more. Because they fuel those schools being better. Without the better athletes, those schools aren't actually better. If OSU didn't get the best athletes then they wouldn't be the media draw they are."

Ok. Then why stop at athlete compensation and NIL?
Pool media media money and distribute among all 130CFB/350CBB teams.

Rutgers making nearly $100m while other schools receive pennies certainly its "letting small schools compete".

That's the biggest (and easiest to fix) limiter to fair competition.
How do you propose to implement it?

Basketball is irrelevant. UCONN proves it. I like watching it, but it has almost no impact on the success of the school (like football).
It’s not a relevant, it’s just not nearly as important as football

Again, we had no shot of ever competing in the Big Ten before NIL

Zero, Nada, zilch.
At least, with NIL, there is now hope.

How do you propose to implement it?

It’s your potential proposal - not mine.
You are the one worried about “letting small schools compete”.
Is that not what you are worried about?
Do you agree that if “letting small schools compete” is an objective that revenue distribution would be the best solution?

It’s not the only solution but obviously the most important part for your “letting small schools compete”.

Go back to a “salary cap” of only tuition.
Are the “small schools competing” when they get $2m while other schools get nearly $100m to spend on coaches, recruiting, facilities, training staff etc.?

Of course. People willing to donate to build those facilities are also willing to donate to NIL collectives, and so the two go together. Rutgers doesn't have enough people in the first category and so it doesn't have a lot in the second category.

Reactions: rutgersal
Um ... ? I responded to what you proposed:

"Ok. Then why stop at athlete compensation and NIL?
Pool media media money and distribute among all 130CFB/350CBB teams."

It’ll go step by step then.

You are worried about “letting small schools compete” with a salary cap set at just tuition.

Does that “letting small school compete” extend to all aspects of college athletics rules?

Would you agree that a better solution (regardless of feasibility) is media revenue distribution?

Feasibility is a question for afterwards.

It’ll go step by step then.

You are worried about “letting small schools compete” with a salary cap set at just tuition.
I really don't give an F if small schools can compete (or can't compete). What I'm worried about is schools dropping their interscholastic athletics departments completely ... and with it removing all of the athletic scholarship opportunities that those athletics departments create. And I assert that schools that believe they have no opportunity to compete, will stop trying to compete (ie, will end their sports programs).

Would you agree that a better solution (regardless of feasibility) is media revenue distribution?
No, of course not. The better solution is what was in place three years ago.

I really don't give an F if small schools can compete (or can't compete). What I'm worried about is schools dropping their interscholastic athletics departments completely ... and with it removing all of the athletic scholarship opportunities that those athletics departments create. And I assert that schools that believe they have no opportunity to compete, will stop trying to compete (ie, will end their sports programs).

No, of course not. The better solution is what was in place three years ago.

If you don’t care about small schools competing then why did you say it as a defense of keeping the “salary cap” at tuition?

How many schools have dropped their interscholastic athletics departments in the last 3 years?
Nobody is forcing schools to pay additional money to athletes.

Are there waves of schools who were competing 3 years go now not competing?
Or is it basically the same school still not competing but continuing to fund athletic departments?

Even if schools did drop their athletic departments - nothing is stopping them from diverting that money into additional scholarships.

That’s a school decision and subsequent blame. Not a fault of the athletes for wanting equitably treatment to the revenue they are contributing to.

Re-read what I wrote and I'm sure you'll figure it out.

I did. And you ignored my questions.

How much were they competing 3 years ago?

To my even earlier question, if you are worried about small teams competing then you would agree that actually providing those small schools with more money would help them “compete”?
Such as revenue distribution?

To my even earlier question, if you are worried about small teams competing then you would agree that actually providing those small schools with more money would help them “compete”?
The question I responded to, "I really don't give an F if small schools can compete (or can't compete)?" That question?

Hard to believe I suggested you re-read what I wrote.

The question I responded to, "I really don't give an F if small schools can compete (or can't compete)?" That question?

Hard to believe I suggested you re-read what I wrote.

How many schools have dropped their interscholastic athletics departments in the last 3 years?
Nobody is forcing schools to pay additional money to athletes.

Are there waves of schools who were competing 3 years go now not competing?
Or is it basically the same school still not competing but continuing to fund athletic departments?

Do you only care about athlete salary cap as a way to keep "small schools competing"?
Opinoins on other ways to keep "small schools competing"?
Maybe coach salary cap? Recruiting spending cap? revenue distribution?

Or is NIL the ONLY reason small schools "potentially" can't compete?

Do you only care about athlete salary cap as a way to keep "small schools competing"?
I'm just going to keep copy and pasting the same response until you acknowledge it is what I wrote ...

I really don't give an F if small schools can compete (or can't compete) <--- third time I wrote the same thing

I'm just going to keep copy and pasting the same response until you acknowledge it is what I wrote ...

I really don't give an F if small schools can compete (or can't compete) <--- third time I wrote the same thing

Ok - now you are contradicting yourself. You should reread your own next sentence.
"What I'm worried about is schools dropping their interscholastic athletics departments completely ... and with it removing all of the athletic scholarship opportunities that those athletics departments create. And I assert that schools that believe they have no opportunity to compete, will stop trying to compete (ie, will end their sports programs)"

Ok sure - you don't care about small schools competing. We get it.

Then why do you care if the salary cap is set above "tuition"?
As revenues have heavily increased, salary cap should also increase.
Above the previous cap of "tuition, plus room and board, etc".
Who cares if small schools can't spend as much as other schools who have higher revenues?
Since we're not caring about small schools "competing".

Then why do you care if the salary cap is set above "tuition"?
Because if schools believe they cannot compete, then they will stop trying. And the vast majority of schools are already losing money on their football programs (let alone their entire athletics departments) by paying for tuition, housing, food and books.

a better example....an 8 year contract, extended halfway through for another 6 with a $ 2M salary bump for mediocre at best results. sound familiar ?
Are you talking about the guy who turned around a complete embarrassment of a football program and just beat Miami in a bowl game ?

I thought you were going to give this schtick a rest after GS gave our fans something to cheer about this year ??

Are you talking about the guy who turned around a complete embarrassment of a football program and just beat Miami in a bowl game ?

I thought you were going to give this schtick a rest after GS gave our fans something to cheer about this year ??
Fans cheer regardless of record. The magical 6-6 regular season run three months ago with a win over a team playing without how many starters and a 4th string QB who hadn’t played a single snap ?

I can’t wait for the ESPN 30 for 30 about last year.

A Pittsburgh Post Gazette article 3/15/24 regarding Penn State Branch Campuses.

Penn State Branch Campus review could lead to program offering changes.

An academic review of Penn States 19 Commonwealth Campuses could lead to changes in program offerings at the financially struggling campuses.

The Feb 29 letter comes on the heels of Penn States announcement that it could slash 54 million or 14% of funding from the commonwealth campuses budget in fiscal year 2026.

Many of these institutions have been plagued by years of enrollment declines and fiscal struggles.

Enrollment declines will be affecting many universities/colleges going forward which will negatively impact their bottom line.

Penn State I believe stated they will invest $700 million to renovate Beaver Stadium which is used 7 days a year.

Continuing to build Taj Mahal sports facilities coupled with NIL may be unsustainable going forward for many institutions.

Alabama can invest in great sports facilities but Pitt would rather invest in research facilities which offer a greater ROI.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

A Pittsburgh Post Gazette article 3/15/24 regarding Penn State Branch Campuses.

Penn State Branch Campus review could lead to program offering changes.

An academic review of Penn States 19 Commonwealth Campuses could lead to changes in program offerings at the financially struggling campuses.

The Feb 29 letter comes on the heels of Penn States announcement that it could slash 54 million or 14% of funding from the commonwealth campuses budget in fiscal year 2026.

Many of these institutions have been plagued by years of enrollment declines and fiscal struggles.

Enrollment declines will be affecting many universities/colleges going forward which will negatively impact their bottom line.

Penn State I believe stated they will invest $700 million to renovate Beaver Stadium which is used 7 days a year.

Continuing to build Taj Mahal sports facilities coupled with NIL may be unsustainable going forward for many institutions.

Alabama can invest in great sports facilities but Pitt would rather invest in research facilities which offer a greater ROI.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
I agree that Pittsburgh is using their resources better by not building sports facilities. However, I believe a significant number of students go to Penn State mainly for the football program. I noticed that Penn State is one of the few colleges will more male students than female students other than Engineering schools.

Last edited:
I agree that Pittsburgh is using their resources better by not building sports facilities. However, I believe a significant number of students go to Penn State mainly for the football program. I noticed that Penn State is one of the few colleges will more male students than female students other than Engineering schools.

Pitt received a record number of applications last year at 58,000 students. Pitt's acceptance rate was 49%.

Penn State received over 78,000 applications last year and Penn States acceptance rate at Main was 57.6%.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

I actually have a bigger issue with head coach salaries and their contracts than with NIL.

Multimillionaires begging ordinary people for more money so that they can make more money. The whole scheme reminds of various lyrics from a Creedence song, albeit about a different issue:

It ain't me, it ain't me
I ain't no millionaire's son, no, no
It ain't me, it ain't me
I ain't no fortunate one

And when you ask 'em, "How much should we give?"
They only answer, "More, more, more"
or to quote your guy (and mine) Tom Petty..

"I got a room at the top of the world tonight...and I ain't ....coming ...down."

Not what he meant but it fits :)

• Love
Reactions: Knight Shift
Is the problem here just one of form or is also one of content? Right now, fans have to make a specific extra donation (to an NIL collective) to pay players. Suppose that schools were allowed to pay players directly, and increased their ticket/mandatory donation prices to cover that (although without saying that explicitly) . Would donors be just as outraged? Would they see the raised level as anything different from a raise to cover increased coaches' salaries or any other "normal" expense?

To put it differently, how much of donor resistance comes from having to make a specific extra donation to an outside organization, and how much of it is to the whole idea of compensating players?
coming in late on this thread but I'll respond ... it's an interesting point. The analogy being restaurants charging that extra for using a credit card vs. just building it into the cost of food. I tell them all the time just raise the prices because it really pisses me off to see the fees (even though I totally get why they are doing it).

Have said it before- in what other job is someone paid millions to be mediocre or to suck at their job, and then get paid a 3 plus year severance for sucking so bad to go away? It's ludicrous.
Not agreeing but there are other examples.
To be fair it does take a serious amount of personal commitment and toll to even be average in these leagues however what is a fair comp. level is the ? (IMHO).

Reactions: Knight Shift
I sympathize. It's interesting to me that for many donors the breaking point seems to be compensating athletes. (After all, this is not the only item that's driving bigger AD budgets.) Part of this is certainly the idea of sending contributions to an outside "collective;" but for many it's the whole idea of paying athletes. That is certainly a radical change, especially as combined with the free transferability that puts athletes on a one-year lease as other posters have put it. I don't think any of us know what the future will hold, but all fans will have to decide when they've reached their limit. Being a college sports fan is fun, but at some point even fun becomes too expensive.
I can certainly say I'm much closer to in than out of Shift's boat myself. I'm on a small month TKR contribution just so I can feel like I am helping all causes but frankly I'd rather pay more there (a little) than get hit for another $100,00,000 practice facility while the school gets an incremental $100,000,000 from the State and our share from B1G is getting close to $100,000,000 annually soon. All because we MUST have it to compete. No wait, we MUST have lots of NIL to compete.

To his other point I look at my ASPCA (Animals) support, Compassion International (Kids), T2T, Salvation Army, Red Cross etc and ask myself who really needs it more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT