ADVERTISEMENT

NIL Games

RURahh

All Conference
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2013
Forgive me if it's discussed already, but was reading a tweet by RU72 talking about teams using NIL promoters to schedule games on NEUTRAL SITES with a good chunk of $$ going towards NIL

Can someone please explain how this works

I have no clue but it seems like it would be pretty simple. Certain donors may be willing to pay to see their favorite team play in certain venues? They come up with a contract contingent on the player appearing in a game there.

I'll take a stab. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. It's a neutral floor game where whatever the gate is for the attendance for the game, the two teams will split the gate after fees of renting the arena are taken out. So the price for contributing to recruiting would be the price of a ticket to attend and watch the game, the money can be used towards NIL funding for current and future players.

If attendance is bad, no money for either school?

I'll take a stab. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. It's a neutral floor game where whatever the gate is for the attendance for the game, the two teams will split the gate after fees of renting the arena are taken out. So the price for contributing to recruiting would be the price of a ticket to attend and watch the game, the money can be used towards NIL funding for current and future players.

If attendance is bad, no money for either school?
I thought the schools are not allowed to contribute to NIL initiatives? I.e. the schools are not directly involved in anything relating to recruiting funds.

So its like a Bowl game.
Except the players get the money instead of the schools?

I thought the schools are not allowed to contribute to NIL initiatives? I.e. the schools are not directly involved in anything relating to recruiting funds.

I think they are using "schools" when should say "players"?
But I'm not sure.

I think they are using "schools" when should say "players"?
But I'm not sure.
No - the neutral game payment arrangements would have to be with the schools for attendance. Not the players. Those proceeds could not be routed to the players for NIL purposes. At least, I don’t see how they could any more than any other revenue generated by the school.

No - the neutral game payment arrangements would have to be with the schools for attendance. Not the players. Those proceeds could not be routed to the players for NIL purposes. At least, I don’t see how they could any more than any other revenue generated by the school.

Why can't the host sign a contract with the players for a portion of the proceeds?

Teams sign a contract for a set amount X.
Players sign a contract for Y.

Host pays X and Y separately
They pocket Z.

So maybe these games will be similar to the Baylor-Gonzaga neutral site NIL game last year?

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...-vs-gonzaga-on-december-2-2022-301610886.html

I believe Richard Kent was referring to the recently announced Arizona State vs Northwestern and Arizona vs Alabama doubleheader at the Footprint Center in Phoenix on Dec 20th... If so, i'll be interesting to see how it works with NIL...

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarlet Blind
So maybe it's like a job fair or Shark Tank for prospective companies to come, watch, talk to, and invest into players and the program to represent their companies in adverts and social media posts for NIL.

So maybe these games will be similar to the Baylor-Gonzaga neutral site NIL game last year?

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...-vs-gonzaga-on-december-2-2022-301610886.html

I believe Richard Kent was referring to the recently announced Arizona State vs Northwestern and Arizona vs Alabama doubleheader at the Footprint Center in Phoenix on Dec 20th... If so, i'll be interesting to see how it works with NIL...

That's what I proposed above.
Players would be compensated directly by the host.

Imagine Rutgers is playing in the 2024 Bahamas tournament.
The organizers pay Ace Bailey to film or tweet out an advertisement "Watch Rutgers in the Bahamas Tournament this Saturday!!"

• Love
Reactions: rubigtimenow
I don't see why the NIL collectives for each school couldn't be the organizers of the neutral site event. They then share in the profits of the event. They can then funnel the money to the athletes. That's my idea at least.

I don't see why the NIL collectives for each school couldn't be the organizers of the neutral site event. They then share in the profits of the event. They can then funnel the money to the athletes. That's my idea at least.

KTR Invitational!

The only issue I could see is other high-level teams not wanting to participate and allow Rutgers NIL to benefit by making money (Duke for example).

But I'm sure there are plenty of schools who would jump at it.

Are these exhibitions?
Can one of these games be played in a location Cliff gets paid in?
Does it even matter? It’s a free for all - remember. We’re going abroad over the summer. I imagine the plan would be to just dumb a thick sum in a contract for that appearance and call it a day. No need to justify the inherent value of the appearance. At least that doesn’t seem to be the case.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT