ADVERTISEMENT

Bracket project …Clemson as 7 seed and Virginia out ???

Scarlet Shack

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
I hate the ACC and all 15 schools but how the HELL is Clemson a 7 seed in the latest bracketologist matrix and Virginia, at 17-5 as the last team out ???

Look at the OOc and the confrnce schedule and records and please explain

I know it’s only 21 games but

Then tell me how the criteria isn’t broken

Ill be objective promise . I’m just not seeing it

At all

Thank you

I hate the ACC and all 15 schools but how the HELL is Clemson a 7 seed in the latest bracketologist matrix and Virginia, at 17-5 as the last team out ???

At all

Thank you
Because the NET system of rankings sucks.

At all

Thank you
because Clemson did awesome work in non conference play sos of 67 there...23 overall, 3-4 road, 3-0 neutral

wins at Alabama, neutral TCU, South Carolina, and Boise St....thats 4 ncaa tourney teams right there...extremely impressive

3-4 in Q1, 6-6 in Q1/2

37 NET

Virginia is 42 NET. 175 non conference, overall 98, 3-4 road, 2-1 neutral

best wins Florida in Q1 and Texas A&M in Q2. Florida is a projected 11. Texas A&M 10

Virginia won at Clemson.....that makes 3 wins vs schools in the field vs 4 for Clemson

However this underscores why its WAY TOO EARLY to do brackets even now...the issue is the bracketmatrix was doing brackets from day 1 and with such a small sample size for the firt two months, schools like Clemson get touted with good seeds. The issue is that when you do brackets this early. there should be HUGE shifts from game to game. What I find is that does not happen. They fall in love with certain schools and slow to move them down as they collect losses and the Tigers are just 4-6 in the ACC. Schools that were not in the bracket early on have a hard time moving in as you see with Virginia. Its a pet peeve of mine I see every year.

If i were to seed them now I would have them in the general area which might in the 9/10 spots

because Clemson did awesome work in non conference play sos of 67 there...23 overall, 3-4 road, 3-0 neutral

wins at Alabama, neutral TCU, South Carolina, and Boise St....thats 4 ncaa tourney teams right there...extremely impressive

3-4 in Q1, 6-6 in Q1/2

37 NET

Virginia is 42 NET. 175 non conference, overall 98, 3-4 road, 2-1 neutral

best wins Florida in Q1 and Texas A&M in Q2. Florida is a projected 11. Texas A&M 10

Virginia won at Clemson.....that makes 3 wins vs schools in the field vs 4 for Clemson

However this underscores why its WAY TOO EARLY to do brackets even now...the issue is the bracketmatrix was doing brackets from day 1 and with such a small sample size for the firt two months, schools like Clemson get touted with good seeds. The issue is that when you do brackets this early. there should be HUGE shifts from game to game. What I find is that does not happen. They fall in love with certain schools and slow to move them down as they collect losses and the Tigers are just 4-6 in the ACC. Schools that were not in the bracket early on have a hard time moving in as you see with Virginia. Its a pet peeve of mine I see every year.

If i were to seed them now I would have them in the general area which might in the 9/10 spots
Bac ….hwee ia rbe thing . Let’s forget about net rankings , kenpom and bartovik for a minute and consider the eyeball test and confrnce records …if the ACC is so bad , how can a team under .500 be a 7 seed and the 3rd best ncaa candidate from that confeence ???

Do agree thar it’s way too early to judge …but the bottom line is Virginia has a lot better confrnce record and hammered them head to head …and none of that is even in the forefront of the equariin by a total of 69 “bracketologist “

That’s problematic

UVA is good. The Net is stupid.
Too early to do the bracketology thing but getting soon and anyone saying UVA isn’t in is out of their mind. It’s not that early anymore.
Agree with BAC that Clemson is in.
But equally so is VA.
And to ignore head to head is just silly.
UVA just absolutely destroyed a good Miami team.

And although I disagree with BAC often, officiating, Simpson, OOC scheduling, I like to tweak him, but his bracketology is as good as it gets and a wonderful read and my favorite time of the year on this board.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bayonnebomber79
Bac ….hwee ia rbe thing . Let’s forget about net rankings , kenpom and bartovik for a minute and consider the eyeball test and confrnce records …if the ACC is so bad , how can a team under .500 be a 7 seed and the 3rd best ncaa candidate from that confeence ???

Do agree thar it’s way too early to judge …but the bottom line is Virginia has a lot better confrnce record and hammered them head to head …and none of that is even in the forefront of the equariin by a total of 69 “bracketologist “

That’s problematic
bracketologists falling in love with recency bias..to be honest I havent even compiled a list of schools at this point. Just too early thus far with schools just getting to the midpoint in their conference schedule. Its starts to heat up from here

UVA is good. The Net is stupid.
Too early to do the bracketology thing but getting soon and anyone saying UVA isn’t in is out of their mind. It’s not that early anymore.
Agree with BAC that Clemson is in.
But equally so is VA.
And to ignore head to head is just silly.
UVA just absolutely destroyed a good Miami team.

And although I disagree with BAC often, officiating, Simpson, OOC scheduling, I like to tweak him, but his bracketology is as good as it gets and a wonderful read and my favorite time of the year on this board.
clemson was in last year as high as 4/5 seed at this point and then played their way out...they are doing the same thing again this year....that non conference performance is certainly superlative but they better get knock off duke or unc

Reactions: G- RUnit
clemson was in last year as high as 4/5 seed at this point and then played their way out...they are doing the same thing again this year....that non conference performance is certainly superlative but they better get knock off duke or unc
My favorite sports time of the year. Middle of February to Final Four.

Rutgers over Greg Jones and WVU in late February still one of my all time favorite RU moments. Still believe louder than PSU as it was all Rutgers fans. To say nothing of a Chris Nieberlein put back with no time on the clock year earlier to also beat WVU is another underrated RU moment.

I suspect I am aging myself.

Last edited:
Clemson looked great at end of year and look good this year. UVA looks good. UNC and Duke will be there. Wake might be there.

My favorite sports time of the year. Middle of February to Final Four.

Rutgers over Greg Jones and WVU in late February still one of my all time favorite RU moments. Still believe louder than PSU as it was all Rutgers fans. To say nothing of a Chris Nieberlein put back with no time on the clock year earlier to also beat WVU is another underrated RU moment.

I suspect I am aging myself.
that win over Greg Jones and WVU had about 8700 people in the RAC. Crammed them into every corner. After that game, the fire marshall stepped in and said no more

Reactions: G- RUnit
Clemson is Q1 4-4, 7-6 vs Q1/2 and SOR 25, 7 Seed is about right, Virginia shouldn't be OUT with Q1 2-2, 6-4 vs Q1/2 and SOR of 30, maybe seeded 9 or 10.

Comparison of 10 loss teams
45 Nova(12-10) 3-5 3-2 2-3 5-0 SOR 69
48 Xavier(12-10) 2-7 4-1 1-2 5-0 SOR 67
72 Wash(12-10) 2-5 3-5 3-0 4-0 SOR 97
73 Ohio St(13-10) 1-5 0-4 7-1 5-0 SOR 100
84 MD(13-10) 2-4 2-2 2-3 7-0 SOR 91
100 RU(12-10) 1-8 3-1 2-1 6-0 SOR 81

We are ahead of teams like MD, Ohio St and Wash but behind teams like Xavier and Nova according to the Strength of Record.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT