ADVERTISEMENT

NIL - We either step up, or keep getting drilled

JayDogSmooth

All Conference
Aug 18, 2006
It's very simple - the game has changed with NIL and isn't going back
I've said it countless times, and will say it again

We either collectively step up NIL$$ wise, and get fans and businesses on board, or we'll keep getting smoked
There's no middle ground

I'm tired of getting hammered vs. the big boys
I'm also tired of losing to the likes of Nebraska

I'm tired of hammered by a pedestrian Minnesota team
And I'm tired of not winning a B1G home game in 5 years

Now I'm going to enjoy an 80 degree Sunday
Church, Sunday sauce and some NFL

But the choice is ours
Hoping others decide to step up as well

We either collectively step up NIL$$ wise, and get fans and businesses on board, or we'll keep getting smoked
There's no middle ground

But the choice is ours
Just curious, given your passion, have you put a sizeable amount to Nil? Trying to gauge what you mean by stepping up.

There's no middle ground

But the choice is ours
I mean, we did win a Big 10 home game 2 weeks ago but I understand your point. Basketball season is around the corner!

I mean, we did win a Big 10 home game 2 weeks ago but I understand your point. Basketball season is around the corner!
You're right, totally forgot about Indiana
My bad, I'm just frustrated
Very frustrated and I truly believe in the potential we have

I have
I give to both KOR and Geo's collective
I truly believe in both causes and it's the only way to hope to compete
3,4,5 figures? It seems to me that this is an arms race for major donors, 3 figure a year won’t matter from an individual. What kind of money are we talking for NIL? This seems to be a big boy game.

Just curious, given your passion, have you put a sizeable amount to Nil? Trying to gauge what you mean by stepping up.
In fairness to the OP, there’s not a single poster capable of donating enough to make a dent. The reality is if we’re going to make the NIL work, we have to get NYC on board. People laughed at me but this is why I suggested Prime as our next coach. I genuinely do not understand how Hobbs wasn’t in Portnoy’s ear earlier this year as well. You wanna compete with NIL, the roadmap runs through NYC, and specifically starts with Barstool sports. But we need a salesman people believe in to accomplish that. I’m sorry but Greg Schiano is not that guy

3,4,5 figures? It seems to me that this is an arms race for major donors, 3 figure a year won’t matter, from an individual. What kind of money are we talking for NIL? This seems to be a big boy game.
5 figures
Small five figures (not 99K)

But I enjoy Rutgers athletics and want them to succeed
And this is the only way I believe it's possible

Reactions: eddynyse
In fairness to the OP, there’s not a single poster capable of donating enough to make a dent. The reality is if we’re going to make the NIL work, we have to get NYC on board. People laughed at me but this is why I suggested Prime as our next coach. I genuinely do not understand how Hobbs wasn’t in Portnoy’s ear earlier this year as well. You wanna compete with NIL, the roadmap runs through NYC, and specifically starts with Barstool sports. But we need a salesman people believe in to accomplish that. I’m sorry but Greg Schiano is not that guy
Agree, unless we can land a whale (Ben Hill Griffin, Jimmy Rane, T Boone Pickens, Phil Knight, Al Dunlap) - has anyone reached out to high level $$ people? Businesses?

5 figures

Thanks for sharing, I just wonder how many can do that year in and out, is NIL sustainable? Then all a school needs is one huge donor and they blow the rest away…

I have
I give to both KOR and Geo's collective
I truly believe in both causes and it's the only way to hope to compete
Does Geo take of a cut in his collective or is it like KOR where no one gets paid?

Thanks for sharing, I just wonder how many can do that year in and out, is NIL sustainable? Then all a school needs is one huge donor and they blow the rest away…
I'm not going to sacrifice what I consider essentials
Mortgage, groceries, 401k's, 529 for my child, church offering, etc.

How we've done it is made a spreadsheet, and cut down on some other things
Less going out to eat, a few less Starbucks per month, booking vacations in advance. bargain shopping for flights, etc.

It's been a commitment, but it's something I believe in

Does Geo take of a cut in his collective or is it like KOR where no one gets paid?
I believe whoever runs it gets a cut (not totally sure, but would assume so b/c of operating expenses)
But honestly I have no idea if he personally gets a cut - would't bother me if he did as he gave his all to RU and was instrumental in starting up the collective

NYC isn’t getting on board because there are just as many Penn state, Michigan and Ohio State fans on corporate boards as Rutgers fans. There were more Michigan fans on Amtrak today from NYC than Rutgers fans.

"Hey, if we don't do that thing that everybody knows we're not going to do, we're never going to be successful under the new rules that I advocated for."

NYC isn’t getting on board because there are just as many Penn state, Michigan and Ohio State fans on corporate boards as Rutgers fans. There were more Michigan fans on Amtrak today from NYC than Rutgers fans.
Which is why we need a salesman as a coach. I’ve said for years Mike Houston, but in recent months have changed my tune to Prime. I PROMISE you if we hire Prime, who is already heavily tied to Barstool, less than an hour from Barstools HC, with the kinda talent that wants to play for prime? Makes me smile just thinking about it…

There's no middle ground

But the choice is ours
Are you worried MIchigan and Ohio State are going to steal all of RU's players?

Do you realize that Michigan's extent of NIL participation is on par with RUs? And they are not doing pay for play.

"Hey, if we don't do that thing that everybody knows we're not going to do, we're never going to be successful under the new rules that I advocated for."
"Hey, if I keep posting without any new ideas, and we keep getting smoked, while the big $$ teams getting 4 and 5 stars are producing (outside of A&M), let's cross our fingers that things will magically change" as wishing upon a star, though cute as a 3rd grader, largely doesn't work in real life

Reactions: redking

Do you realize that Michigan's extent of NIL participation is on par with RUs? And they are not doing pay for play.
Lol if you don't think Michigan isnt' doing pay for play you're completely off base
Your arguement holds no water as they largely have 4 and 5 stars, while we're made up of 3's, with a sprinkle of 2 and 4's

They'll "steal" 2 or 3 if they choose, but they've got bigger fish to fry at the moment

Lol if you don't think Michigan isnt' doing pay for play you're completely off base
Your arguement holds no water as they largely have 4 and 5 stars, while we're made up of 3's, with a sprinkle of 2 and 4's

They'll "steal" 2 or 3 if they choose, but they've got bigger fish to fry at the moment
LOL, you know nothing. So show some facts. Listened to RU Michigan podcast this week, and it was stated they don't do pay for play.

5 figures

Bro, I hate to break this to you, but the number of fans we have capable of making a 5 figure annual donation a little more than what I can count on my hands…

the ONLY way to do this is through NYC, you know, the business capital of the world which we are located less than an hour from. The biggest thing is giving those businesses a reason to care… I keep saying it, PRIME will make them care

LOL, you know nothing. So show some facts. Listened to RU Michigan podcast this week, and it was stated they don't do pay for play.
KS, do you honestly think Michigan wasn't paying guys before NIL?
Do you really think they're not paying guys right now?

We can agree to disagree on this, but the fact remains we're going to continue getting hammered if we don't step up

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Bro, I hate to break this to you, but the number of fans we have capable of making a 5 figure annual donation a little more than what I can count on my hands…

the ONLY way to do this is through NYC, you know, the business capital of the world which we are located less than an hour from. The biggest thing is giving those businesses a reason to care… I keep saying it, PRIME will make them care
Disagee on # of fans capable of making 5 figure donation as it's really a matter of preferences
We live in one of the wealthiest states in the country

Agree that unless a whale or 2 come on board, NYC is essential (pretty much only way to go)

KS, do you honestly think Michigan wasn't paying guys before NIL?
Do you really think they're not paying guys right now?

We can agree to disagree on this, but the fact remains we're going to continue getting hammered if we don't step up
I'm going on what a Michigan writer said who went into details on their NIL program. You are going on emotions.

Disagee on # of fans capable of making 5 figure donation as it's really a matter of preferences

Agree that unless a whale or 2 come on board, NYC is essential (pretty much only way to go)
I'm one of those fans, and I have no interest in donating to NIL at the moment. And no amount of shaming or asking us to act like scummy SEC teams will change my mind. I'm still open to the idea, however.

Reactions: dconifer

That’s not exactly true. While Michigan is not paying players to ‘come to Michigan’. They have one of the most expansive NIL programs for athletes currently there in the country. Essentially it’s a ‘we’re not going to pay you to come here, but you’re going to get paid while attending. For example, the entire football team just got paid to partner with the army for a recruiting event

That’s not exactly true. While Michigan is not paying players to ‘come to Michigan’. They have one of the most expansive NIL programs for athletes currently there in the country. Essentially it’s a ‘we’re not going to pay you to come here, but you’re going to get paid while attending. For example, the entire football team just got paid to partner with the army for a recruiting event
RU is doing it a similar way. That is what I meant. Obviously, RU is not doing it at the same level. But as usual our fans with the biggest mouths and the most most complaints make the smallest donations and the least contributions when the hat is passed around.

I'm going on what a Michigan writer said who went into details on their NIL program. You are going on emotions.
No emotions here
There's NIL and under the table NIL

I know several prominent UM boosters
They unabashedly admit to many things, including $$ activities

Now It's Legal and the traditional NIL are two totally different things

Again, we'll agree to disagree if you don't think they're paying guys / have paid guys
Rashard Gary and Jabril Peppers didn't go there b/c they loved winters in AA

I didn’t say population, I said fans. If someone is going to make annual 5 figure donations to a program they have to be a hardcore fan. Passive fans and wealthy NJ residents aren’t going to donate 5 figures ‘just because’.

Reactions: TM514
I'm one of those fans, and I have no interest in donating to NIL at the moment. And no amount of shaming or asking us to act like scummy SEC teams will change my mind. I'm still open to the idea, however.
No shaming here
I've always said it's a personal decision
I truly believe in NIL and think it's long overdue

Scummy SEC teams care about winning
I guarantee if we started having a fraction of their success, we'd collectly change our tune

We paid Caleb for bball
He doesn't come back without NIL

If Caled leads us to the final 4, will you not watch b'c he took money?
Will you insist we take down our banner b/c we just like scummy SEC teams?

I didn’t say population, I said fans. If someone is going to make annual 5 figure donations to a program they have to be a hardcore fan. Passive fans and wealthy NJ residents aren’t going to donate 5 figures ‘just because’.
We have a boatload of untapped potential
~500k living alumni
- 35-40k hardcore fans (optimistailly)
- Tons of passive fans

What has been done to reach out to them? Do we have a plan in the future?

RU is doing it a similar way. That is what I meant. Obviously, RU is not doing it at the same level. But as usual our fans with the biggest mouths and the most most complaints make the smallest donations and the least contributions when the hat is passed around.
I don’t think it’s a bad thing for fans to make noise. Heck kinda ironic to attack fans when it was the fans who brought back Greg Schiano

We have a boatload of untapped potential
~500k living alumni
- 35-40k hardcore fans (optimistailly)
- Tons of passive fans

What has been done to reach out to them? Do we have a plan in the future?
35-40k hardcore fans is ambitious and of those maybe 1% has a extra 5 figures to donate each year. ‘Tons of passive fans’ is not accurate. Heck there’s more pedd state fans in jersey than rutgers fans

"Hey, if I keep posting without any new ideas, and we keep getting smoked, while the big $$ teams getting 4 and 5 stars are producing (outside of A&M), let's cross our fingers that things will magically change" as wishing upon a star, though cute as a 3rd grader, largely doesn't work in real life
Some problems have no solutions. This particular problem has no solution. The only possible solutions are completely out of Rutgers' and the Rutgers Fan Community's hands (an anti-trust exemption granted by congress to the NCAA or the Big10 and SEC banning NIL conference-wide).

There's no middle ground

But the choice is ours
I'm not a Rutgers guy, but am a fan of similar program. I can tell you that I have no plans to donate for NIL. And most people in areas like New Jersey aren't going to either. Alabama will always find people who feel like donating huge amounts of money to semi-professional sports programs is the right thing to do. New Jersey has far more wealth than Alabama, but the culture is not the same and there aren't going to be many, if any, who will feel that way about what to do with their disposable money.

Moreover, if that's what college sports has come to, I doubt my interest in it will last. I realize that it was not pure as the driven snow before NIL, but this is different for me.

Also, this is probably not something that may will agree with, but I expect some reforms to NIL in the near future. Bags of money provided by misguided (in my opinion) boosters is not even what representatives of players were asking for, as I see it. I believe it is here to stay, but will become more reasonable. Not even the LSU's and Ohio States of the world want a climate where there are only a dozen programs competing on anything close to a level playing field...

Last edited:
Some problems have no solutions. This particular problem has no solution. The only possible solutions are completely out of Rutgers' and the Rutgers Fan Community's hands (an anti-trust exemption granted by congress to the NCAA or the Big10 and SEC banning NIL conference-wide).
Again, we'll agree to disagree
We have potential $$ wise
It's up to us whether we want to donate or not

I'm not a Rutgers guy, but am a fan of similar program. I can tell you that I have no plans to donate for NIL. And most people in areas like New Jersey aren't going to either. Alabama will always find people who feel like donating huge amounts of money to semi-professional sports programs is the right thing to do. New Jersey has far more wealth than Alabama, but the culture is not the same and there aren't going to be many, if any, who will feel that way about what to do with their disposable money.

Moreover, if that's what college sports has come to, I doubt my interest in it will last. I realize that it was not pure as the driven snow before NIL, but this is different for me.

Also, this is probably not something that may will agree with, but I expect some reforms to NIL in the near future. Bags of money provided by misguided (in my opinion) boosters is not even what representatives of players was asking for, as I see it. I believe it is here to stay, but will become more reasonable. Not even the LSU's and Ohio States of the world want a climate where there are only a dozen programs competing on anything close to a level playing field...
And that's fair
Some fans have no interest in NIL

I understand and respect that
It's an individual choice that some will never be on board with

Also agree that reforms need to, and will eventually come
Right now it's the wild west - not good short or long term for the sport

Reactions: dconifer

Also, this is probably not something that may will agree with, but I expect some reforms to NIL in the near future. Bags of money provided by misguided (in my opinion) boosters is not even what representatives of players was asking for, as I see it. I believe it is here to stay, but will become more reasonable. Not even the LSU's and Ohio States of the world want a climate where there are only a dozen programs competing on anything close to a level playing field...
Your last paragraph just kinda summed it up. While ‘bags of money’ may not be what players were asking for, now that they’re here players aren’t going to want to give them up. Gonna be interesting for sure

Pick one sport and go all in for a national championship … i am ok with MBB, Lacrosse, Soccer, Crew …

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT